Grand Prix Rejects 2015-16 Off-season Rolling Trivia Quiz!

The place for anything and everything else to do with F1 history, different forms of motorsport, and all other randomness
Bobby Doorknobs

Re: Grand Prix Rejects 2015-16 Off-season Rolling Trivia Qui

Post by Bobby Doorknobs »

yannicksamlad wrote:So this time I shall read the question properly.. and I note that the question refers to someone who IS connected ( present tense) , so they must be alive........

I hope Normal doesn't mind if I post a hint here, but the director in question has passed away fairly recently.

And the key word is local. This was in bygone days ;)
#FreeGonzo
tommykl

Post by tommykl »

Well, after getting confirmation on the chatroom, the answer seems to be Manoel de Oliveira, who I knew had won a pre-War Grand Prix, and is notable for still making movies regularly past his 100th birthday.

What I had completely not thought to do was associate him with Casimiro de Oliveira, Portugal's almost-first F1 driver, who, as it turns out, was Manoel's brother. As far as I can tell, Manoel himself had no involvement in the event.
kevinbotz wrote:Cantonese is a completely nonsensical f*cking alien language masquerading as some grossly bastardised form of Chinese

Gonzo wrote:Wasn't there some sort of communisim in the East part of Germany?
Normal32

Post by Normal32 »

tommykl wrote:Well, after getting confirmation on the chatroom, the answer seems to be Manoel de Oliveira, who I knew had won a pre-War Grand Prix, and is notable for still making movies regularly past his 100th birthday.

What I had completely not thought to do was associate him with Casimiro de Oliveira, Portugal's almost-first F1 driver, who, as it turns out, was Manoel's brother. As far as I can tell, Manoel himself had no involvement in the event.

Correct!

Now, your turn.
Pasta_maldonado wrote:I think normal32 is an old English farmer re-incarnated
Bobby Doorknobs

Less than a week left and we have another picture round!

Name the F1 driver in the photo below, as well as the car he is driving and the circuit where this photo was taken.

#FreeGonzo
Normal32

Post by Normal32 »

Nova Lisbao, Angola..., 250 GTO and... Willy Mairesse?
Bobby Doorknobs

Normal32 wrote:Nova Lisbao, Angola..., 250 GTO and... Tony Maggs?

The circuit and the car are correct (well, it was a 250 LM but I'll let it slide), but not the driver. Seeing as you got 2 out of 3 you will get to ask the next question, but I'll wait until the correct driver is named before moving on ;)
#FreeGonzo
Miguel98

Post by Miguel98 »

Duncan Hamilton?
Mario on Gutierrez after the Italian Grand Prix wrote:He's no longer just a bit of a tool, he's the entire tool set.

18-07-2015: Forever in our hearts Jules.
25-08-2015: Forever in our hearts Justin.
AxelP800

Post by AxelP800 »

S. Luiz as in the bottom right of the picture?
Rio Haryanto for the win!
He upon seeing me accidentaly paint Belgian flag rotated 90 deg to right
tommykl returns from the bathroom
tommykl reads the chat logs
tommykl has a stroke
mario

Post by mario »

Simtek wrote:

The circuit and the car are correct (well, it was a 250 LM but I'll let it slide), but not the driver. Seeing as you got 2 out of 3 you will get to ask the next question, but I'll wait until the correct driver is named before moving on ;)

I think you will find that is a 250 GTO, not the 250 LM - the 250 LM came later and looked rather different:

Now, I shall admit to looking this up, but I think that the driver in your photo is Lucien Bianchi.
Martin Brundle, on watching a replay of Grosjean spinning:
"The problem with Grosjean is that he want to take a look back at the corner he's just exited"
Bobby Doorknobs

mario wrote:
Simtek wrote:

I think you will find that is a 250 GTO, not the 250 LM - the 250 LM came later and looked rather different:

Now, I shall admit to looking this up, but I think that the driver in your photo is Lucien Bianchi.

Actually, I have found that I have messed up on this question. I had taken the picture from Google Images under the assumption that it was Willy Mairesse (I typed "willy mairesse angola" into Google). The Google Images caption identified it as a 250 LM with Mairesse driving, which, as you point out, is incorrect. It was actually referring to another photo on the same webpage. The real identity of the driver is the Angolan António Peixinho, who as you might guess was not an F1 driver.

As Normal still got two out of three he gets to ask the next question. I apologise for any inconvenience.
#FreeGonzo
Normal32

Post by Normal32 »

Alright then.

Who is the oldest F1 driver to compete in the Interlagos?
AxelP800

Post by AxelP800 »

Urmm tricky one, I can think two drivers without knowing which is older. But I'll take the gamble of Ingo Hoffman
Rio Haryanto for the win!
He upon seeing me accidentaly paint Belgian flag rotated 90 deg to right
tommykl returns from the bathroom
tommykl reads the chat logs
tommykl has a stroke
MorbidelliObese

Post by MorbidelliObese »

Emerson Fittipaldi in the WEC race recently?
Darling fascist bully boy, give me some more money you bastard. May the seed of your loin be fruitful in the belly of your woman.
Normal32

Post by Normal32 »

MorbidelliObese wrote:Emerson Fittipaldi in the WEC race recently?

Correct.
MorbidelliObese

Woohoo! :D

Ever since opening the Hungaroring has had a reputation of a tight, twisty circuit, large go-kart track, Monaco without the houses etc. etc. etc., choose your description.

It was not originally planned to be so much like this however, what was the reason that it did?
Darling fascist bully boy, give me some more money you bastard. May the seed of your loin be fruitful in the belly of your woman.
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

MorbidelliObese wrote:Woohoo! :D

Ever since opening the Hungaroring has had a reputation of a tight, twisty circuit, large go-kart track, Monaco without the houses etc. etc. etc., choose your description.

It was not originally planned to be so much like this however, what was the reason that it did?

Because of underground streams/drainage systems or something?
watka wrote:I find it amusing that whilst you're one of the more openly Christian guys here, you are still first and foremost associated with an eye for the ladies!
dinizintheoven wrote:GOOD CHRISTIANS do not go to jail. EVERYONE ON FORMULA ONE REJECTS should be in jail.
MCard LOLA
Peteroli34

Post by Peteroli34 »

Did they initially want a street circuit but the government decided to build the track where it is know. i think its built in an amphitheatre surronded by high ground.
MorbidelliObese

dr-baker wrote:
MorbidelliObese wrote:Woohoo! :D

Because of underground streams/drainage systems or something?

Yep that's the one! They were worried about subsidance and all that stuff so they had to build around the underground streams/springs, resulting in part of the layout we know today.

Although strangely, Turn 3 that is now a relatively fast right hander but was originally an S-bend was one of them, so they must have resolved that somehow by 1989.

Your turn!
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

I remember reading that fact in relation to turn 3 having to be rerouted due to the drainage.

My question:

I saw Murray Walker give a talk/lecture at Beaulieu (Britain's National Motor Museum) last year about Monaco. In the Q&A afterwards, what motor racing event did he say is the best/greatest in the world?
watka wrote:I find it amusing that whilst you're one of the more openly Christian guys here, you are still first and foremost associated with an eye for the ladies!
dinizintheoven wrote:GOOD CHRISTIANS do not go to jail. EVERYONE ON FORMULA ONE REJECTS should be in jail.
MCard LOLA
Miguel98

Post by Miguel98 »

Goodwood Festival of Speed?
Mario on Gutierrez after the Italian Grand Prix wrote:He's no longer just a bit of a tool, he's the entire tool set.

Normal32

Post by Normal32 »

dr-baker wrote:I remember reading that fact in relation to turn 3 having to be rerouted due to the drainage.

My question:

I saw Murray Walker give a talk/lecture at Beaulieu (Britain's National Motor Museum) last year about Monaco. In the Q&A afterwards, what motor racing event did he say is the best/greatest in the world?

Macau GP?
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

Normal32 wrote:
dr-baker wrote:
My question:

Brands Hatch?

I'm talking about a specific event, not a race track. See other suggested answer.

Miguel98 wrote:Goodwood Festival of Speed?

No.
MCard LOLA
UncreativeUsername37

Post by UncreativeUsername37 »

Bit obvious, but perhaps the Isle of Man TT
Rob Dylan wrote:Mercedes paying homage to the other W12 chassis by breaking down 30 minutes in
Peteroli34

Post by Peteroli34 »

The Bathurst 1000?
Miguel98

Post by Miguel98 »

Indy 500?

dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

UgncreativeUsergname wrote:Bit obvious, but perhaps the Isle of Man TT

Yes, this is it. He said this was more significant (for him) than the Indy 500, Monaco GP or Le Mans. Coming from a motor bike background, this would be the obvious answer, despite its dangers.

I am not surprised everybody else was going for car-based answers though. It is what I was expecting...

ADDITION: I may be going to the 100th running of the Indy 500 this year, but the Manx TT remains on my bucket list, and dinizintheoven seemed to suggest it is well worth a visit when I met him at Battersea Park last summer for the FE race.
MCard LOLA
dinizintheoven

Post by dinizintheoven »

dr-baker wrote:ADDITION: I may be going to the 100th running of the Indy 500 this year, but the Manx TT remains on my bucket list, and dinizintheoven seemed to suggest it is well worth a visit when I met him at Battersea Park last summer for the FE race.

Yes! Do it! I can even recommend a reasonably-priced campsite.
James Allen, on his favourite F1 engine of all time:
"...the Life W12, I can't describe the noise to you, but imagine filling your dustbin with nuts and bolts, and then throwing it down the stairs, it was something akin to that!"
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

dinizintheoven wrote:
dr-baker wrote:ADDITION: I may be going to the 100th running of the Indy 500 this year, but the Manx TT remains on my bucket list, and dinizintheoven seemed to suggest it is well worth a visit when I met him at Battersea Park last summer for the FE race.

Yes! Do it! I can even recommend a reasonably-priced campsite.

I also know of a godmother who could put me up in a spare room on the island should I need it!
MCard LOLA
UncreativeUsername37

Since unknowable obscurities are the theme here, I'll lift a question from my vague quote quiz.

"It gave you a real feeling of what driving a Grand Prix car was about" –John Watson

Which circuit is he talking about? There are only so many, so this should be over fairly quickly.
Rob Dylan wrote:Mercedes paying homage to the other W12 chassis by breaking down 30 minutes in
Barbazza

Post by Barbazza »

Since it seems so unlikely I'll go for.....Detroit!
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

Long Beach.
MCard LOLA
Miguel98

Post by Miguel98 »

Caesar's Palace?

Peteroli34

Post by Peteroli34 »

A complete guess Dijon?
UncreativeUsername37

Wrong, wrong, wrong, wrong.
Peteroli34

Post by Peteroli34 »

UgncreativeUsergname wrote:Wrong, wrong, wrong, wrong.

Lets try again Spa?
UncreativeUsername37

peteroli34 wrote:
UgncreativeUsergname wrote:Wrong, wrong, wrong, wrong.

Lets try again Spa?

Wrong!
AustralianStig

Post by AustralianStig »

Adelaide?
Join the GP Rejects league at Fantasy F1: https://fantasy.formula1.com/join/?=2a1f25

CoopsII wrote:
Biscione wrote:To the surprise of no-one, Daniil Kvyat wins ROTR for Sochi, by a record margin that may not be surpassed for some time.

I always knew Marko read this forum.
WaffleCat

Post by WaffleCat »

Nordschleife.
My friend's USB drive spoiled, spilled tea on her laptop and had a bird poo in her hand.

What did she do in her past life to deserve this?

Signup for the Random Racing League, Season TWO!!!
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

Monza.
MCard LOLA
dinizintheoven

Post by dinizintheoven »

I'll have a stab at Brands Hatch.
James Allen, on his favourite F1 engine of all time:
"...the Life W12, I can't describe the noise to you, but imagine filling your dustbin with nuts and bolts, and then throwing it down the stairs, it was something akin to that!"