2016 Bahrain Grand Prix

The place for speaking your mind on current goings-on in F1
CoopsII

Re: 2016 Bahrain Grand Prix

Post by CoopsII »

I'm looking forward to Qualifying if only to find out just what the hell is going on!
Just For One Day...
golic_2004

Post by golic_2004 »

Williams in the last few years http://imgur.com/sNFFMYF
AxelP800

Post by AxelP800 »

golic_2004 wins the race to post news

:o :o :o :o :o Vandoorne will actually make F1 debut? Finally another GP2 champion on the grid (even is it's one-off).
Rio Haryanto for the win!
He upon seeing me accidentaly paint Belgian flag rotated 90 deg to right
tommykl returns from the bathroom
tommykl reads the chat logs
tommykl has a stroke
shinji
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by shinji »

You'd have to wonder about Alonso missing races following crashes in consecutive seasons. Does he have a particular recurring issue with concussion following the pre-season incident last year, or are he and McLaren just taking precautions which teams and drivers have avoided taking in the past?

Given the ongoing discussions about concussive brain injuries in American Football, rugby and other sports I'd be interested to have an insight into F1's policy on the matter, if it has one at all.
Better than 'Tour in a suit case' Takagi.
AustralianStig

Post by AustralianStig »

shinji wrote:You'd have to wonder about Alonso missing races following crashes in consecutive seasons. Does he have a particular recurring issue with concussion following the pre-season incident last year, or are he and McLaren just taking precautions which teams and drivers have avoided taking in the past?

Given the ongoing discussions about concussive brain injuries in American Football, rugby and other sports I'd be interested to have an insight into F1's policy on the matter, if it has one at all.

Ted Kravitz's tweet seems to suggest that it was the FIA, not McLaren, that mandated that Alonso wouldn't race:
https://twitter.com/tedkravitz/status/7 ... 28/photo/1
EDIT: McLaren's tweet also backs this up: https://twitter.com/McLarenF1/status/715487517009514496
Join the GP Rejects league at Fantasy F1: https://fantasy.formula1.com/join/?=2a1f25

CoopsII wrote:
Biscione wrote:To the surprise of no-one, Daniil Kvyat wins ROTR for Sochi, by a record margin that may not be surpassed for some time.

I always knew Marko read this forum.
AndreaModa

Post by AndreaModa »

I don't think the injuries this time relate to his head - the statement mentioned a chest CT scan so it might be some internal bleeding or something like that which hasn't fully cleared up yet.
I want my MTV...Simtek Ford

My Motorsport Photos

@DNPQ_
Miguel98

Post by Miguel98 »

And all I have to say is:

ALL ABOARD THE HYPE TRAIN
Mario on Gutierrez after the Italian Grand Prix wrote:He's no longer just a bit of a tool, he's the entire tool set.

18-07-2015: Forever in our hearts Jules.
25-08-2015: Forever in our hearts Justin.
watka
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by watka »

Gosh, Alonso has had some big crashes in recent years. Good to see Vandoorne get a debut, albeit it unfortunate circumstances. I was thinking that as time goes by he'd become a forgotten name who'd have to rely on a seat becoming available at McLaren who probably won't be at the front of the grid again for a while. Depending on his loyalty to McLaren, this could be his opportunity to put himself on the marketplace.
Watka - you know, the swimming horses guy
Rob Dylan

Post by Rob Dylan »

And so begins the test run for Stoffel Vandoorne. Regardless of what happens next year, McLaren are going to get some tasty info as to how Vandoorne can cope in a race situation. If he can finish with any number of points, I think we may see him drop in sooner rather than later.
Murray Walker at the 1997 Austrian Grand Prix wrote:The other [Stewart] driver, who nobody's been paying attention to, because he's disappointing, is Jan Magnussen.
Felipe Nasr - the least forgettable F1 driver!
tommykl

Post by tommykl »

I seem to understand that Alonso skipping this race is more a precautionary measure than anything.

And it means I can finally get rid of that pesky Talladega Nights reference I've had in my signature in some form or another for almost six years.
kevinbotz wrote:Cantonese is a completely nonsensical f*cking alien language masquerading as some grossly bastardised form of Chinese

Gonzo wrote:Wasn't there some sort of communisim in the East part of Germany?
CoopsII

Post by CoopsII »

Rob Dylan wrote:And so begins the test run for Stoffel Vandoorne. Regardless of what happens next year, McLaren are going to get some tasty info as to how Vandoorne can cope in a race situation. If he can finish with any number of points, I think we may see him drop in sooner rather than later.

We'll also see if the McLaren is really the crap box the two older drivers make out it is. Be funny if he scored a decent result.

Hairline fracture of a rib for Alonso.

Wuss.
Just For One Day...
Wallio
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Wallio »

Miguel98 wrote:And all I have to say is:

CHOO-CHOO!!!

CoopsII wrote:

Wuss.

I know this is sarcasm, but it makes much more sense now that I know the injury, I cracked two ribs in a racing accident back in college, and it was without question one of the most painful injuries I've ever had. Worst part is there's no cure, only rest. He very well may miss the next round too.
Professional Historian/Retired Drag Racer/Whiskey Enthusiast

"He makes the move on the outside, and knowing George as we do, he's probably on the radio right now telling the team how great he is." - James Hinchcliffe on George Russell
AdrianBelmonte_

Post by AdrianBelmonte_ »

I CHOO-CHOO-CHOOSE YOU, STOFFEL...
#FoxesFansHooligans

#HaasShouldBeSoLucky
golic_2004

Post by golic_2004 »

Wallio wrote:
Miguel98 wrote:And all I have to say is:

CHOO-CHOO!!!

CoopsII wrote:

Wuss.

I know this is sarcasm, but it makes much more sense now that I know the injury, I cracked two ribs in a racing accident back in college, and it was without question one of the most painful injuries I've ever had. Worst part is there's no cure, only rest. He very well may miss the next round too.

http://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/alons ... ib-683214/
Alonso says he isn't 100% certain he'll be able to race China either.
Backmarker

Post by Backmarker »

Is it confirmed that Vandoorne will replace him, or could McLaren pull a Kovalainen on us?
The Iceman Waiteth
What if Kimi Räikkönen hadn't got his chance in 2001?
mario

Post by mario »

Wallio wrote:I know this is sarcasm, but it makes much more sense now that I know the injury, I cracked two ribs in a racing accident back in college, and it was without question one of the most painful injuries I've ever had. Worst part is there's no cure, only rest. He very well may miss the next round too.

Asides from the fractured rib, he also stated that he suffered from a small pneumothorax, perhaps more commonly known as a collapsed lung (when the lung becomes separated from the chest wall), although that appears to have been resolved. Still, in light of that additional complication, I can see why the FIA's medics would have been reluctant to allow him to race.
Martin Brundle, on watching a replay of Grosjean spinning:
"The problem with Grosjean is that he want to take a look back at the corner he's just exited"
Yannick

Post by Yannick »

Here's hoping that Fernando Alonso has been receiving the best possible medical treatment for his injuries, from right after when they happened to him at the racetrack in Australia.

Here's to a full and speedy recovery!

Now where can I buy a Stoffel T-Shirt?
"I don't think we should be used to finance (the manufacturers') R&D because they will produce that engine anyway" said Monisha Kaltenborn.
"You will never see a Mercedes using a Ferrari engine or the other way round."
dinizintheoven

Post by dinizintheoven »

AdrianBelmonte_ wrote:I CHOO-CHOO-CHOOSE YOU, STOFFEL...

Backmarker wrote:Is it confirmed that Vandoorne will replace him, or could McLaren pull a Kovalainen on us?

Stoffel Vandoorne wrote:Yesh! I louwve McLaren, and when ij grouw up, ij am goijng to drijve fouwr them FOUWR EVER!

Ron Dennis wrote:Noooooooooooooooooooooooo! Now you listen to me. I don't like you. I never liked you. And the only reason I gave you that drive in Bahrain is because nobody else would!

Eric Boullier wrote:...watch zis, Ron. Tu can actualleey pinpoint ze second when 'is 'eart rips in 'alf.

Ron Dennis wrote:The paradigm of this situation is somewhat suboptimal. *hides face*

Eric Boullier wrote:Hon hon hon hon hon!

Stoffel Vandoorne wrote:*crijes*

Is there anyone who didn't see that coming?
James Allen, on his favourite F1 engine of all time:
"...the Life W12, I can't describe the noise to you, but imagine filling your dustbin with nuts and bolts, and then throwing it down the stairs, it was something akin to that!"
tommykl

Post by tommykl »

This may be the part where I point out, and This will back me up here, that the Flemish accent sounds nothing like the Dutch accent :P
kevinbotz wrote:Cantonese is a completely nonsensical f*cking alien language masquerading as some grossly bastardised form of Chinese

Nessafox
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Nessafox »

tommykl wrote:This may be the part where I point out, and This will back me up here, that the Flemish accent sounds nothing like the Dutch accent :P

Though all regions have widely different accents, Flemglish is universal, and indeed very different from Dutch-English.
But don't worry, it won't sound as annoying as hearing Leinders talk english (or hear him talk dutch or french or whatever he does, i'm sure that you've heared his French sometimes at RTBF)

I also noticed that not only was Goethals the only other flemish driver. Both him and Vandoorne are from the environments of Kortrijk. There's defenitely something over there... which i assume is the fact that the province of West-Flanders is by bar the richest part of the whole country. (Former Minardi tester Saelens was also from that region, just like many regionally succesful rally drivers)
I don't know what i want and i want it now!
tommykl

Post by tommykl »

Well, there used to be a festival of speed on the beaches (might have been at Ostende, but I'm not sure) of West Flanders, so I guess this might have had an influence on the car culture in that part of the country.

solarcold

Post by solarcold »

Now this gets really exciting!

Last minute qualifying change shocks the paddock

Following the recent U-turn in qualifying changes and explicitly negative reaction from both the fans and teams, the initiative group of the F1 qualifying committee made a last minute decision to hold a vote on a new qualifying proposal, which gained a surprising 100% approval by the teams.

This proposal meant that during the Bahrain Grand Prix the qualifying will be abandoned altogether as such; instead the grid positions would be determined by rock-paper-scissors between the drivers.

"We believe that the coverage of this kind of a qualifying will be very popular among the fans", said Christian Horner (Red Bull Racing), "Seeing drivers cheerfully play rock-paper-scissors to determine positions is far more enjoyable than seeing them talk to the press before the clock stops."

The details of this format are pretty simple: first, the drivers will be divided into two groups by the team directors: drivers of those teams whose directors lose will be put into second group. Then the Group 1 of drivers will face the Group 2; those who lose will then fight for positions from 12th to 22nd. Through consequent detailing games the start positions will be determined. Of course, if any penalties are to happen, those will be in action.

"I was really delighted to know the new qualifying rules were voted in favour", said Pascal Wehrlein, "I hope the fans will like what they see this Saturday. I've always been a lucky guy and now I hope the bring my team the best result possible."
"Here's your car. Go nuts."
Dallara, 2010
CoopsII

Post by CoopsII »

Wow, Solarcold, thanks for telling us about this. I've just booked a flight and race tickets now. It was very expensive and I'm pretty sure I'll be divorced when I get home but I just couldn't miss what should be a legendary race weekend!
Just For One Day...
DanielPT
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by DanielPT »

CoopsII wrote:Wow, Solarcold, thanks for telling us about this. I've just booked a flight and race tickets now. It was very expensive and I'm pretty sure I'll be divorced when I get home but I just couldn't miss what should be a legendary race weekend!

Don't worry, you can just use your time machine bringing money back from the future to cover your bacon while your 'this weekend' self can enjoy the grand prix.
Colin Kolles on F111, 2011 HRT challenger: The car doesn't look too bad; it looks like a modern F1 car.
CoopsII

Post by CoopsII »

McLaren announce new sponsor for Bahrain!

Just For One Day...
CoopsII

Post by CoopsII »

DanielPT wrote:you can just use your time machine bringing money back from the future to cover your bacon.

I've told you before I'm not playing that game with you again.
Just For One Day...
Izzyeviel

Post by Izzyeviel »

Bertrand Gachot sponsors the Force India team? is that right?
golic_2004

Post by golic_2004 »

CoopsII wrote:McLaren announce new sponsor for Bahrain!

It's early in the season, but can I nominate this as post of the year? I love it!
AndreaModa

Post by AndreaModa »

Ominous pace from Mercedes after FP1. Although with track temperatures not indicative of race conditions, I think teams will put more effort into FP2 so I expect that gap to close.

Celis was a bit ragged too wasn't he!
I want my MTV...Simtek Ford

My Motorsport Photos

@DNPQ_
Miguel98

Post by Miguel98 »

AndreaModa wrote:Ominous pace from Mercedes after FP1. Although with track temperatures not indicative of race conditions, I think teams will put more effort into FP2 so I expect that gap to close.

Celis was a bit ragged too wasn't he!

I like to call Mercedes' runs in today's FP1 "dick measuring runs", where they just go YOLO to show the teams they are the fastest. They do this all the time.

And yes, Celis Jr was a bit ragged... That's what happens when you place a fairly inexperienced driver, which also isn't the best driver, straight into a F1 car.
Mario on Gutierrez after the Italian Grand Prix wrote:He's no longer just a bit of a tool, he's the entire tool set.

DanielPT
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by DanielPT »

Let's look at the positives here. At least it seems pretty tight between those behind Mercedes so we could still have a good race for the last podium.
Colin Kolles on F111, 2011 HRT challenger: The car doesn't look too bad; it looks like a modern F1 car.
Miguel98

Post by Miguel98 »

While Ferrari's premature ending to FP2 seems to be because of a loose nut on the left rear of the car, Haas should be more worried, as Grosjean's engine started smoking at the end of FP2, and the french driver lost power on his car. This after once again his FW exploded into bits

DanielPT
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by DanielPT »

mario

Post by mario »

Miguel98 wrote:While Ferrari's premature ending to FP2 seems to be because of a loose nut on the left rear of the car, Haas should be more worried, as Grosjean's engine started smoking at the end of FP2, and the french driver lost power on his car. This after once again his FW exploded into bits

To a certain extent, those concerns potentially extend to the other Ferrari powered teams as well, because they seem to be having more issues - Gutierrez had been complaining about problems with the energy recovery systems on his car from almost the beginning of the Australian GP, whilst Kimi had to retire with an engine failure in that race too.

There had been a few rumours in the Italian press before the season began that whilst Ferrari had managed to significantly increase the power of their engines and the efficiency of the recovery systems, it came at the price of a loss in reliability (and reportedly none of their engines could cover 4 race distances on the dyno bench, a worrying sign given the length of the calendar this year).

Now, it is interesting to note that Mercedes are reported to privately believe that Ferrari are having to turn down their engines down in the practise sessions to try and improve the engine life. It could be that there is perhaps a little substance to the rumours - it may well be that all of the Ferrari powered teams may perform more strongly in qualifying, but whether they can sustain that performance all race long will be interesting to see.
"The problem with Grosjean is that he want to take a look back at the corner he's just exited"
sswishbone

Post by sswishbone »

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.ph ... ifying-fix

Sky get 25,000,000 viewers? Good luck with that Bernie, nice try, but april fool fail
"Hispania are a waste of talent and petrol!" Martin Brundle, Australia Qualifying 2011

Live streams and podcasts from yours truly at http://www.youtube.com/user/sswishbone
Row Man Gross-Gene

Post by Row Man Gross-Gene »

sswishbone wrote:http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/123543/ecclestone-promises-quick-qualifying-fix

Sky get 25,000,000 viewers? Good luck with that Bernie, nice try, but april fool fail

Is he saying 25 million viewers in the UK? That sounds a bit optimistic shall we say.

BCE wrote:"Honestly, it was nothing to do with the money, it was to do with the fact this is the way we have to move forward."

Bwahahahahahahahahahahaha!!
It's just unbelievable...that Formula 1 could be such a ridiculous melange of idiots.

-Jamie McGregor

Check out my colo(u)ring pages website: http://sites.google.com/site/carcoloringpages/
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

Row Man Gross-Gene wrote:
sswishbone wrote:http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/123543/ecclestone-promises-quick-qualifying-fix

Is he saying 25 million viewers in the UK? That sounds a bit optimistic shall we say.

Divide 25 million between 21 Grands Prix, and then divide that again between qualifying and the race, and then divide again between the Sky viewers and the BBC/C4 viewers, then the numbers look a lot less good, but more realistic. And that's without considering that a majority of those will be repeat viewers. Suddenly, those figures look crap, don't they Bernie?
watka wrote:I find it amusing that whilst you're one of the more openly Christian guys here, you are still first and foremost associated with an eye for the ladies!
dinizintheoven wrote:GOOD CHRISTIANS do not go to jail. EVERYONE ON FORMULA ONE REJECTS should be in jail.
MCard LOLA
mario

Post by mario »

Magnussen fans might be disappointed to hear that he is being consigned to start this race from the pit lane.

In FP2, Magnussen was meant to stop at the weight bridge, but mistakenly thought that it was Kvyat who was being called to the weigh bridge and returned to his garage to have the set up of his car adjusted. That automatically triggers the clause which requires the driver to start from the pit lane for a technical infringement.
Aguaman

Post by Aguaman »

Herbert calls for Alonso to retire.

Why does he hate Alonso as much as Keith hated Maldonado?
CoopsII

Post by CoopsII »

Aguaman wrote:Herbert calls for Alonso to retire.

Why does he hate Alonso as much as Keith hated Maldonado?

My first thought was 'Go Home Johnny Herbert!' but having read his comments I sort of see where he's coming from even if I don't fully agree with him. Certainly looking at the stats it looks like Alonso's been on the slide for some time and if he was a few years older then maybe I would agree more with JH but they guys' still young enough to deliver with a half decent car, I think.
Just For One Day...