F1 Rejects Track Designing Competition

The place for alternate championships that use real results as a base of forming alternative results, driver careers, and games in general
dr-baker

Re: F1 Rejects Track Designing Competition

Post by dr-baker »

My realistic entry: http://www.gmap-pedometer.com/?r=6826970
My total fantasy entry: http://www.gmap-pedometer.com/?r=6826965

Will decide on which is my entry in due course.
watka wrote:I find it amusing that whilst you're one of the more openly Christian guys here, you are still first and foremost associated with an eye for the ladies!
dinizintheoven wrote:GOOD CHRISTIANS do not go to jail. EVERYONE ON FORMULA ONE REJECTS should be in jail.
MCard LOLA
AxelP800

Post by AxelP800 »

Rio Haryanto for the win!
He upon seeing me accidentaly paint Belgian flag rotated 90 deg to right
tommykl returns from the bathroom
tommykl reads the chat logs
tommykl has a stroke
Normal32

Post by Normal32 »

Pasta_maldonado wrote:I think normal32 is an old English farmer re-incarnated
watka
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by watka »

Circuit taking in the Tower Bridge area. Plenty of local underground stations to serve as viewing points!

http://www.gmap-pedometer.com/?r=6827416
Watka - you know, the swimming horses guy
Bobby Doorknobs

Post by Bobby Doorknobs »

What's this? You're asked to design a London Grand Prix circuit and you haven't dared attempt to bring back Crystal Palace? You disappoint me, gentlemen!

http://www.gmap-pedometer.com/?r=6828205
#FreeGonzo
WaffleCat

Post by WaffleCat »

Basically an ages-old design I had in my head, taking the London Tour Bus route and visiting every single Landmark in London today.

https://www.google.com/maps/d/edit?mid=zA6SdRXhu0jU.kFwhvlFESFqM&usp=sharing
My friend's USB drive spoiled, spilled tea on her laptop and had a bird poo in her hand.

What did she do in her past life to deserve this?

Signup for the Random Racing League, Season TWO!!!
Aislabie

Post by Aislabie »

London Grand Prix Results
1. WaffleCat (I really enjoyed this, and think it actually has really good flow as a race track.)
2. Dr Baker (Quite a nice circuit, plus some semi-permanent paddock area could obliterate Winter Wondershite forever.)
3. AxelP800 (A very nice circuit, although the parallel bit on The Mall gives you a very dangerous right-hander off Horse Guards.)
4. Watka (I like the big right-hand sweeper, but worry a bit about the two complexes of four/five ninety-degree corners.)
5. Simtek (Really nice to see a historic circuit brought back, but just too many hairpins for me, especially with that wibbly-wobbly last sector.)
6. Normal32 (It's about six miles long, and contains an A1GP Beijing-style hairpin on Farrington Street that would bring everyone to a standstill.)
7. Peteroli34 (It has like a dozen right-angled corners and shuts down a fairly busy airport, so logistically I don't think it would work.)

To be honest, these are ranked on personal taste, and there's four of them that could have been put in any order. Any feedback was obviously not meant to offend.
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

As it has been 4 days since the results have been announced, and WaffleCat still has yet to announce the next challenge, I guess it's up to me? I'll try to come up with something in the next few hours if he does not.
watka wrote:I find it amusing that whilst you're one of the more openly Christian guys here, you are still first and foremost associated with an eye for the ladies!
dinizintheoven wrote:GOOD CHRISTIANS do not go to jail. EVERYONE ON FORMULA ONE REJECTS should be in jail.
MCard LOLA
Bobby Doorknobs

dr-baker wrote:As it has been 4 days since the results have been announced, and WaffleCat still has yet to announce the next challenge, I guess it's up to me? I'll try to come up with something in the next few hours if he does not.

Well, we actually have something of a mess on our hands. Under the rules Aislabie was supposed to wait until two days after the last entry to post results, rather than the first (no big deal really, new-ish members can't be expected to get everything right from the start ;)). As for the next challenge, the deadline for the winner to post a new one is one week, so you won't have to worry about coming up with a new challenge until Sunday :)
#FreeGonzo
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

Simtek wrote: As for the next challenge, the deadline for the winner to post a new one is one week, so you won't have to worry about coming up with a new challenge until Sunday :)

Phew, thank goodness for thst. I did have ideas a few weeks ago for another challenge, but cannot remember what they are at the moment. And I will be able to use free wifi at Brands Hatch to post if need be!
MCard LOLA
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

OK, looks like it's my turn after all.

Electric Avenue

Build an FE track between 1.2 and 1.8 miles long. Only other condition is that the start/finish line must be on a road named Electric Avenue. The famous one is in Brixton, London; a Google search shows one in Nottingham, and I know of one in Westcliff (all in England). But you can use any road named Electric Avenue anywhere in the world. Build new roads beyond Electric Avenue if you want, or not (just no building demolition please). Just the distance and the start/finish point on a particular road name matter.
MCard LOLA
TheFlyingCaterham

Post by TheFlyingCaterham »

http://www.mappedometer.com/?maproute=508509

I've also tried to style it like a proper Formula E track, so there are no really long straights on the course, and the only one there is is punctuated by a Bus Stop chicane around halfway through. The paddock is on the straight next to the hospital.
Resident Track Designer Addict

2016 F1Rejects Track Designing Competition Champion
2017 F1Rejects Track Designing Competition Runner-Up

More of a reader than a poster on these forums, so I won't post much compared to others.
novitopoli
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by novitopoli »

sw3ishida wrote:Jolyon Palmer brought us closer as a couple, for which I am grateful.

Ataxia wrote:
Londoner wrote:Something I've thought about - what happens to our canon should we have a worldwide recession or some other outside event?

We'll be fine. It's Canon, non Kodak.
Bobby Doorknobs

#FreeGonzo
More_Blue_Flags

Post by More_Blue_Flags »

http://www.gmap-pedometer.com/?r=6834327

That big excavation/building site marked as Varsity Lakes Train Station on the satellite view? That's really the pit lane and stadium complex.
CoopsII wrote:Wouldnt it be lovely if just for once someone said "I really want to emulate Boutsen and get a decent, if not spectacular, result with some solid points".
vinceg

Post by vinceg »

https://www.gmap-pedometer.com/m/?r=6834397&rf=1
Electric Avenue Nashville 1.287M, anticlockwise start where start marker is hope link works trying to post from phone
Aislabie

Post by Aislabie »

I've had a go with one right on Venice Beach in LA. Do excuse the very pointy corners, which I couldn't be bothered to round out using the manual plotter tool.
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

vinceg wrote: hope link works trying to post from phone

Works fine.

Aislabie wrote:Do excuse the very pointy corners, which I couldn't be bothered to round out using the manual plotter tool.

I know that feeling when I try these at times.
MCard LOLA
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

It's been more than 2 days since the last entry, so here are the results (nothing more than personal preferences):

7. Vinceg
6. Peteroli
5. More Blue Flags
4. Aislabie
3. Simtek
2. FlyingCaterham
1. Novitopoli

Well done on finding more Electric Avenues than I suggested. Would like to have seen at least one Brixton or Westcliff entry, however...
MCard LOLA
novitopoli
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by novitopoli »

Well then:
just make a circuit crossing the Equator line.

As usual in my challenges: maximal length is 12 km, at least half of the circuit must consist of already existing roads, don't cut through any buildings.
sw3ishida wrote:Jolyon Palmer brought us closer as a couple, for which I am grateful.

Ataxia wrote:
Londoner wrote:Something I've thought about - what happens to our canon should we have a worldwide recession or some other outside event?

TheFlyingCaterham

Post by TheFlyingCaterham »

A street circuit 20km north of Quito, Ecuador.

http://www.mappedometer.com/?maproute=509824
Resident Track Designer Addict

2016 F1Rejects Track Designing Competition Champion
2017 F1Rejects Track Designing Competition Runner-Up

More of a reader than a poster on these forums, so I won't post much compared to others.
More_Blue_Flags

http://www.gmap-pedometer.com/?r=6837198

The Majelis Taklim Circuit, West Kalimantan, crosses the Equator at about the 6.3 km and 8 km mark. If nothing else, this should get AxelP800's vote.
CoopsII wrote:Wouldnt it be lovely if just for once someone said "I really want to emulate Boutsen and get a decent, if not spectacular, result with some solid points".
vinceg

Post by vinceg »

https://www.gmap-pedometer.com/m/?r=6837298&rf=1

Well that was a rejectful debut, anyway 10.318km in Macapa in Brazil, start on the Av. Equatorial, clockwise track first corner around a massive roundabout crosses the equator up the second straight. I like the run along the bank of the Amazon on the far right. Probably needs some smoothing here and there but quite like it. Hopefully not last this time!

More_Blue_Flags, that really is the arse end of nowhere, at least mine has an airport! :P :P
More_Blue_Flags

More_Blue_Flags, that really is the arse end of nowhere, at least mine has an airport! :P :P

This might be hard to believe, but I've actually been within about 100 km of this place. You're right, though, it is a bit... secluded?
Last edited by More_Blue_Flags on 09 Apr 2016, 15:03, edited 1 time in total.
UncreativeUsername37

Post by UncreativeUsername37 »

Makoua:
Rob Dylan wrote:Mercedes paying homage to the other W12 chassis by breaking down 30 minutes in
Bobby Doorknobs

I... think it crosses the Equator: http://www.gmap-pedometer.com/?r=6837623
#FreeGonzo
Normal32

Post by Normal32 »

novitopoli
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by novitopoli »

The ranking:

6- More_Blue_Flags
5- Normal32
4- vinceg
3- Simtek
2- UgnCreativeUsergname
1- TheFlyingCaterham

Ataxia wrote:

dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

novitopoli wrote:The ranking:

6- More_Blue_Flags
5- Normal32
4- vinceg
3- Simtek
2- UgnCreativeUsergname
1- TheFlyingCaterham

Flying Caterham does not have long left until UngcreativeUsergname has the opportunity to set the next challenge.
MCard LOLA
UncreativeUsername37

Post by UncreativeUsername37 »

It's been quite long enough!

Baku Asian Grand Prix
Following the European Games and European Grand Prix, other clearly non-European countries want to count as part of Europe too.
*Using only existing roads, make a circuit in Armenia, Cyprus, Georgia, Morocco, or the Asian part of Turkey.
*Minimum length 3.5 km, maximum 7 km.
*The existence or not of a reasonably wide track, escape roads, and a place for the pits matter for this challenge.
Rob Dylan wrote:Mercedes paying homage to the other W12 chassis by breaking down 30 minutes in
Bobby Doorknobs

Casablanca's third Grand Prix circuit, and it's right next to the other two: http://www.gmap-pedometer.com/?r=6847658
#FreeGonzo
AxelP800

Post by AxelP800 »

http://www.mappedometer.com/?maproute=514610

Counter-clockwise, and as much as I want to avoid a medical centre, the criteria does not allows me
Rio Haryanto for the win!
He upon seeing me accidentaly paint Belgian flag rotated 90 deg to right
tommykl returns from the bathroom
tommykl reads the chat logs
tommykl has a stroke
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

MCard LOLA
Aislabie

Post by Aislabie »

Okay, so I've taken a pretty liberal approach to the rules on this one.

First of all, it's not in one of those countries - it's in Russia, but it's so far into Asia that it's almost in North America. I've also probably picked some bits of road that aren't very wide, which won't help my chances. But, I really like the circuit (apart from Sector 1 between Turn 2 and Turn 7, which is a bit wiggly)

Vladivostok Street Circuit (2.22 miles; 3.57 km; 22 turns)
Normal32

Post by Normal32 »

watka
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by watka »

Nothing like a GP in a disputed territory: http://www.gmap-pedometer.com/?r=6849668

Some stuff needs flattening but it doesn't look important...

Oh, and we'd need permission from the military.
Watka - you know, the swimming horses guy
More_Blue_Flags

Does a track on a British sovereign base in Cyprus count as European or not European enough for this challenge?

http://www.gmap-pedometer.com?r=6849945