End of the road for Sauber?

The place for speaking your mind on current goings-on in F1
Miguel98

Re: End of the road for Sauber?

Post by Miguel98 »

Wallio wrote:
CoopsII wrote:If this is the end of the road for Sauber I won't be able to let go. It's unnatural, Sauber belongs to F1 and F1 belongs to Sauber.

Still I can't let go.

Well they started in sportscars. Maybe they can go back? It's infinitely cheaper than F1, assuming you don't try to outspend Audi.

Well, if your talking about doing a LMP1-H car, it's impossible for Sauber. BMW were interested in entering LMP1-H, but backed off after realizing that in order to be competitive, they need to spend at least €150 million.

If we are talking about LMP1-P, like Rebellion do, it's a whole another question. Is it worth it really? Only Rebellion races there, and while they do make some money I imagine from spending less (their budget seems to be around the €10 million mark), it's a question if they are making any profit what so ever. Probably are, since they are still going, and seem this year a bit stronger than last year.

LMP2 no way, obviously, with the 2017 rules coming in.

So, unless Sauber wanted to start a privateer GT program, if they wanted to come to WEC, they would follow the Rebellion way. The question is, seeing how Sauber has a partnership with Ferrari, if Ferrari would want them to race on GT racing as a privateer squad, using them to develop a fleet of drivers to use in a future LMP1 program. It's really interesting if Marchionne wants Ferrari to join LMP1 in the near future.
Mario on Gutierrez after the Italian Grand Prix wrote:He's no longer just a bit of a tool, he's the entire tool set.

18-07-2015: Forever in our hearts Jules.
25-08-2015: Forever in our hearts Justin.
mario

Post by mario »

Simtek wrote:
roblomas52 wrote:
mario wrote:For what it is worth, according to an article on the Dailysportscar website, one of the preconditions that Audi has insisted on before entering F1 would be the right to enter additional cars "in the most important races". If the sport does make a serious effort to lure VW in, that might lead to a renewed push to allow third cars.

That was an April fools joke that particular article was.
http://www.dailysportscar.com/2016/04/0 ... paign.html

Even so, at least half the conditions listed in that article are probably true :lol:

If it was indeed the case that it was an April Fools Day joke, then I guess I really was more tired and less alert that day than I first thought - as Simtek says, the problem is that a number of those conditions in that article sound like the sorts of things that Audi would demand, and indeed in the past has demanded to see, from the sport as preconditions of entry.

Miguel98 wrote:
Wallio wrote:
CoopsII wrote:If this is the end of the road for Sauber I won't be able to let go. It's unnatural, Sauber belongs to F1 and F1 belongs to Sauber.

Still I can't let go.

Well they started in sportscars. Maybe they can go back? It's infinitely cheaper than F1, assuming you don't try to outspend Audi.

Well, if your talking about doing a LMP1-H car, it's impossible for Sauber. BMW were interested in entering LMP1-H, but backed off after realizing that in order to be competitive, they need to spend at least €150 million.

If we are talking about LMP1-P, like Rebellion do, it's a whole another question. Is it worth it really? Only Rebellion races there, and while they do make some money I imagine from spending less (their budget seems to be around the €10 million mark), it's a question if they are making any profit what so ever. Probably are, since they are still going, and seem this year a bit stronger than last year.

LMP2 no way, obviously, with the 2017 rules coming in.

So, unless Sauber wanted to start a privateer GT program, if they wanted to come to WEC, they would follow the Rebellion way. The question is, seeing how Sauber has a partnership with Ferrari, if Ferrari would want them to race on GT racing as a privateer squad, using them to develop a fleet of drivers to use in a future LMP1 program. It's really interesting if Marchionne wants Ferrari to join LMP1 in the near future.

Whilst running in the privateer LMP1 class might be possible, it is worth noting that Strakka were planning on entering that class, but they appear to have cancelled all plans for an LMP1 spec car because they thought that it would be too expensive to compete.

There have also been other issues raised about competing in that class, especially given concerns over a prospective shortfall in engine supplies, particularly given that there are no manufacturers that are supplying engines and there are currently no affordable hybrid power units (either from manufacturers or from independent suppliers) for the privateers.

There are also substantial changes to the monocoque coming up in 2018 and, because they relate to changes in safety provisions, the ACO has made clear that there will be no "grandfathering" of older cars - all cars must comply with the new regulations, and there are a lot of concerns that those changes will simply be unaffordable for the privateers.

Hughes de Chaunac pointed out that Rebellion asked Oreca (who produce Rebellion's chassis) not to incorporate any updates into their 2016 chassis, which de Chaunac believes is because Rebellion can't afford to pay Oreca to do any development work. He has made it clear that he is very worried that we could see the privateer class disappear altogether given that they cannot afford to compete (especially since, for political reasons, the manufacturers refuse to allow the privateers to be competitive given it undermines their marketing messages) and none of the LMP2 teams can muster the resources to move up into the LMP1 category.
Martin Brundle, on watching a replay of Grosjean spinning:
"The problem with Grosjean is that he want to take a look back at the corner he's just exited"
Londoner

Post by Londoner »

Not sure how reputable these sources are, but Autoweek and FoxSports have reported that Sauber are late with staff payments for the second straight month, citing a Swiss newspaper.

It's sounding like the demise of Arrows all over again. :|
Fetzie on Ferrari wrote:How does a driver hurtling around a race track while they're sous-viding in their overalls have a better understanding of the race than a team of strategy engineers in an air-conditioned room?l
IceG

Post by IceG »

Do they still owe Räikkönen anything from 2001?
DanielPT
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by DanielPT »

IceG wrote:Do they still owe Räikkönen anything from 2001?

They still owe us another Kobayashi like driver, so they better still be around until then! ;)
Colin Kolles on F111, 2011 HRT challenger: The car doesn't look too bad; it looks like a modern F1 car.
CoopsII

Post by CoopsII »

BRING BACK VILLENEUEVE!
Just For One Day...
dinizintheoven

Post by dinizintheoven »

Never mind him, has Johnny Carwash still got a few euros to spare? I know he's pushing 60, but that never stopped Don Pentecost, did it?

Oh, wait...
James Allen, on his favourite F1 engine of all time:
"...the Life W12, I can't describe the noise to you, but imagine filling your dustbin with nuts and bolts, and then throwing it down the stairs, it was something akin to that!"
AndreaModa

Post by AndreaModa »

God bless Ericsson's Swedish sponsors for advancing a payment and allowing staff to be paid their salaries!

They need to find a more sustainable cash source soon though...
I want my MTV...Simtek Ford

My Motorsport Photos

@DNPQ_
dinizintheoven

Post by dinizintheoven »

Surely Don Pentecost's CLEAN ENERGY SOLUTION is what they need?
James Allen, on his favourite F1 engine of all time:
"...the Life W12, I can't describe the noise to you, but imagine filling your dustbin with nuts and bolts, and then throwing it down the stairs, it was something akin to that!"
AdrianBelmonte_

Post by AdrianBelmonte_ »

Still I can't let go.

I see what you did there...
#FoxesFansHooligans

#HaasShouldBeSoLucky
solarcold

Post by solarcold »

I wonder if Colin Kolles or Zoran Stefanovich would propose their help in this dire case.
"Here's your car. Go nuts."
Dallara, 2010
CoopsII

Post by CoopsII »

AdrianBelmonte_ wrote:

Still I can't let go.

I see what you did there...

I'm not proud of it.
Just For One Day...
The Chicane

Post by The Chicane »

It would be sad to see Sauber drop off the grid due to money issues as that teams been around in F1 since 1993, I think the team needs new fresh leadership with lots of cash (obviously) but you don't seem to have much millionaires these days willing to spend their cash on F1 teams. I'm referencing guys like Paul Stoddart who managed to save Minardi from going bust with his own money in 2001.

If only I was a millionaire I would give that team a facelift but keep the team under the "Sauber" name.

Would you guys do the same or would you not bother and save your money?
RENAULT CLASSIC (1977 - 2017)
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
11 : Drivers' titles
12 : Constructors' titles
AustralianStig

Post by AustralianStig »

ChequeredFlagNope wrote:If only I was a millionaire I would give that team a facelift but keep the team under the "Sauber" name.

Quite frankly after seeing what Gene Haas has managed, I'd prefer to build my own team rather than take over an ailing one that is bleeding money. All completely hypothetical of course, unless someone decides to invest. ;)
Join the GP Rejects league at Fantasy F1: https://fantasy.formula1.com/join/?=2a1f25

CoopsII wrote:
Biscione wrote:To the surprise of no-one, Daniil Kvyat wins ROTR for Sochi, by a record margin that may not be surpassed for some time.

I always knew Marko read this forum.
IceG

Post by IceG »

ChequeredFlagNope wrote:

Not with the current state of governance in the sport.
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

IceG wrote:
ChequeredFlagNope wrote:

Which is, I am led to believe, what is keeping a large multi-national like Audi (which has a large motorsport heritage leading back to the inter-war period) out of the sport.

AustralianStig wrote:
ChequeredFlagNope wrote:If only I was a millionaire I would give that team a facelift but keep the team under the "Sauber" name.

Quite frankly after seeing what Gene Haas has managed, I'd prefer to build my own team rather than take over an ailing one that is bleeding money. All completely hypothetical of course, unless someone decides to invest. ;)

Although, to their advantage, they (Sauber) have the facilities and infrastructure ready to go.
watka wrote:I find it amusing that whilst you're one of the more openly Christian guys here, you are still first and foremost associated with an eye for the ladies!
dinizintheoven wrote:GOOD CHRISTIANS do not go to jail. EVERYONE ON FORMULA ONE REJECTS should be in jail.
MCard LOLA
DonTirri
Location: Herttoniemi, Helsinki, Finland, Europe, Earth, Sol System, Milky Way.

Post by DonTirri »

IF Sauber falls out of the sport, it should be a wake up call for the FIA.
It will be a sad, sad day for F1 to see a team like Sauber forced to pack up. I mean, for teams like HRT and Caterham it was just a matter of time before it happened, just like so many other teams who enter the sport and never really get anywhere. But for an established and long running team like Sauber?

Disaster. it's Lotus/Brabham all over again.
I got Pointed Opinions and I ain't afraid to use em!
F1rejects no.1Räikkönen and Vettel fan.
BTW, thats Räikkönen with two K's and two N's. Not Raikonnen (Raikkonen is fine if you have no umlauts though)
DanielPT
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by DanielPT »

DonTirri wrote:IF Sauber falls out of the sport, it should be a wake up call for the FIA.
It will be a sad, sad day for F1 to see a team like Sauber forced to pack up. I mean, for teams like HRT and Caterham it was just a matter of time before it happened, just like so many other teams who enter the sport and never really get anywhere. But for an established and long running team like Sauber?

I think FIA is now idle no matter what. As for FOM a cynical man would say they would be crossing their fingers for Force India to go next in such situation. Then they can go with third cars at last!
Colin Kolles on F111, 2011 HRT challenger: The car doesn't look too bad; it looks like a modern F1 car.
watka
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by watka »

DonTirri wrote:IF Sauber falls out of the sport, it should be a wake up call for the FIA.

I really don't think the FIA would care if they lost Sauber. They haven't won any championship (or races even if you count BMW Sauber as a separate entity) so from the FIA's perspective, they would not be losing any "history" if Sauber were to fold. It seems that they would be happy to lose any team as long as its not Ferrari.
Watka - you know, the swimming horses guy
Bobby Doorknobs

Post by Bobby Doorknobs »

watka wrote:

I really don't think the FIA would care if they lost Sauber. They haven't won any championship (or races even if you count BMW Sauber as a separate entity) so from the FIA's perspective, they would not be losing any "history" if Sauber were to fold. It seems that they would be happy to lose any team as long as its not Ferrari.

The fact that Sauber don't have a permanent spot on the Strategy Group and don't get 'historic team' payments kind of says it all really...
#FreeGonzo
Wallio
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Wallio »

dr-baker wrote:

Which is, I am led to believe, what is keeping a large multi-national like Audi (which has a large motorsport heritage leading back to the inter-war period) out of the sport.

[/quote]

Oh please. The FIA has bent over backwards repeatedly to Audi. Newey has said several times that they were basically allowed to write their own engine regulations a few years back (and all of a sudden there was this "World Engine bullshite, the FIA said was "the future") then poof they backed out.

Audi never has had any series intention of joining F1. Period.
Professional Historian/Retired Drag Racer/Whiskey Enthusiast

"He makes the move on the outside, and knowing George as we do, he's probably on the radio right now telling the team how great he is." - James Hinchcliffe on George Russell
DanielPT
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by DanielPT »

Simtek wrote:
watka wrote:I really don't think the FIA would care if they lost Sauber. They haven't won any championship (or races even if you count BMW Sauber as a separate entity) so from the FIA's perspective, they would not be losing any "history" if Sauber were to fold. It seems that they would be happy to lose any team as long as its not Ferrari.

The fact that Sauber don't have a permanent spot on the Strategy Group and don't get 'historic team' payments kind of says it all really...

Those historic teams payments and status is with FOM not with FIA. And the strategy group was formed with the biggest teams around at the time and the best placed non-member. And it was born with agreement between FIA and FOM. And FOM is Bernie of course.
CoopsII

Post by CoopsII »

I certainly would. All they need is the Mercedes engines, a black paint job and some lovely TIssot sponsorship and all would be right in the world.

I'd also bring back Peter in a consultancy role.
Just For One Day...
MorbidelliObese

Post by MorbidelliObese »

CoopsII wrote:

I certainly would. All they need is the Mercedes engines, a black paint job and some lovely TIssot sponsorship and all would be right in the world.

I'd also bring back Peter in a consultancy role.

Probably needs to go in the unpopular opinions thread but I never thought the Tissot livery was up to much personally. But swap them for a combination of Lighthouse, Liqui Moly and Joop and I'm in.
Darling fascist bully boy, give me some more money you bastard. May the seed of your loin be fruitful in the belly of your woman.
CoopsII

Post by CoopsII »

MorbidelliObese wrote:Probably needs to go in the unpopular opinions thread but I never thought the Tissot livery was up to much personally.

Nah, I'm probably the only one who liked it!
Just For One Day...
FullMetalJack
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by FullMetalJack »

CoopsII wrote:
MorbidelliObese wrote:Probably needs to go in the unpopular opinions thread but I never thought the Tissot livery was up to much personally.

Nah, I'm probably the only one who liked it!

Nah, I do like it. But I wouldn't go back to it, I love the current livery, probably my favourite of the current lot.
I like the way Snrub thinks!
CoopsII

Post by CoopsII »

It does seem like Kaltenborn is becoming a bit too toxic to stay in her position, who would be next in line if she were to fall on her sword?

I WONDER IF DR-BAKER HAS HAD DREAMS ABOUT HER FALLING ON HIS SWORD?
Just For One Day...
Bobby Doorknobs

Post by Bobby Doorknobs »

CoopsII wrote:I WONDER IF DR-BAKER HAS HAD DREAMS ABOUT HER FALLING ON HIS SWORD?

#FreeGonzo
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

Simtek wrote:
CoopsII wrote:I WONDER IF DR-BAKER HAS HAD DREAMS ABOUT HER FALLING ON HIS SWORD?

Nah.

The pen is mightier than the sword. ;)
watka wrote:I find it amusing that whilst you're one of the more openly Christian guys here, you are still first and foremost associated with an eye for the ladies!
dinizintheoven wrote:GOOD CHRISTIANS do not go to jail. EVERYONE ON FORMULA ONE REJECTS should be in jail.
MCard LOLA
Nessafox
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Nessafox »

Don't get your hopes up too high, none of you guys could handle Monisha.
I don't know what i want and i want it now!
mario

Post by mario »

CoopsII wrote:It does seem like Kaltenborn is becoming a bit too toxic to stay in her position, who would be next in line if she were to fall on her sword?

I WONDER IF DR-BAKER HAS HAD DREAMS ABOUT HER FALLING ON HIS SWORD?

I would have guessed that the Technical Director would have been the most likely individual to take over from Kaltenborn if she was pushed out or resigned, but that role is currently vacant given Mark Smith's decision to stand down just before the season began.

I believe that Sauber still have not filled his role, with Eric Gandelin (Sauber's Chief Designer) currently taking on his duties on a temporary basis. As I believe he is the next most senior member of staff within the team below Kaltenborn, he would probably the most likely to take over the role (at least on a temporary basis).
"The problem with Grosjean is that he want to take a look back at the corner he's just exited"
solarcold

Post by solarcold »

i personally think Kalternborn retiring has already become a matter of time only
"Here's your car. Go nuts."
Dallara, 2010
Cynon

Post by Cynon »

ChequeredFlagNope wrote:Would you guys do the same or would you not bother and save your money?

I'd take them to IndyCar because the governance of IndyCar is more stable than the governance of F1 and the Sauber name would be enough to con attract some suckers drivers and sponsors into joining the next coming of Euromotorsport Sauber.

Not entirely kidding, either.
Check out the TM Master Cup Series on Youtube...
...or check out my random retro IndyCar clips.

Dr. Helmut Marko wrote: Finally we have an Australian in the team who can start a race well and challenge Vettel.
Londoner

Post by Londoner »

Sauber have lost another important member of staff, and the team have virtually no spare parts on hand this weekend, which perhaps explains their FP3 performance so far.
Fetzie on Ferrari wrote:How does a driver hurtling around a race track while they're sous-viding in their overalls have a better understanding of the race than a team of strategy engineers in an air-conditioned room?l
Rob Dylan

Post by Rob Dylan »

They are going to qualify, aren't they?
Murray Walker at the 1997 Austrian Grand Prix wrote:The other [Stewart] driver, who nobody's been paying attention to, because he's disappointing, is Jan Magnussen.
Felipe Nasr - the least forgettable F1 driver!
mario

Post by mario »

Rob Dylan wrote:They are going to qualify, aren't they?

They might as well not have bothered given that Ericsson managed to qualify last and Nasr only just beat the two Manor's. It is really not sounding promising if the team are already short on spare parts this early on in the season - I hope it is not the case, but I am beginning to worry that Sauber might not last the season at this rate.
The Chicane

Post by The Chicane »

It would be better for Sauber if they returned to Sports cars, they have past experience and it would be a lot cheaper to run.

Would anyone else here like to see Sauber run in LMP1 or LMP2?
novitopoli
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by novitopoli »

mario wrote:
Rob Dylan wrote:They are going to qualify, aren't they?

They might as well not have bothered given that Ericsson managed to qualify last and Nasr only just beat the two Manor's. It is really not sounding promising if the team are already short on spare parts this early on in the season - I hope it is not the case, but I am beginning to worry that Sauber might not last the season at this rate.

They kinda look like Arrows 2002, with a worse car, worse drivers and no Tom Walkinshaw to count on.

@ChequeredFlagNope: the issue has already been discussed on this topic. It doesn't seem like a viable move for Sauber right now...
Last edited by novitopoli on 30 Apr 2016, 18:57, edited 1 time in total.
sw3ishida wrote:Jolyon Palmer brought us closer as a couple, for which I am grateful.

Ataxia wrote:
Londoner wrote:Something I've thought about - what happens to our canon should we have a worldwide recession or some other outside event?

We'll be fine. It's Canon, non Kodak.
mario

Post by mario »

ChequeredFlagNope wrote:It would be better for Sauber if they returned to Sports cars, they have past experience and it would be a lot cheaper to run.

Would anyone else here like to see Sauber run in LMP1 or LMP2?

To be honest, I don't think that the situation would be that much better if they went back to sportscar racing. The LMP1-H class is out of the question - the cost of competing is simply too high and there aren't enough external suppliers to plug the gap - whilst privately a number of figures within the sport expect the privateer LMP1 class will cease to exist due to the cost of the 2017 regulations package (because the changes are being made on safety grounds, the ACO is not permitting any "grandfathering" of pre-2017 cars), with Strakka seemingly having aborted their original plans to enter that class due to the sheer cost of competing.

Equally, whilst it might be cheaper to compete, that is partially offset by the fact that sponsorship revenue is basically non existent - even Audi are now publicly complaining that the ACO hasn't done enough to generate any meaningful sponsorship around the WEC.

As for the LMP2 class, whilst it is true that it would be fairly cheap to compete, most of Sauber's team would effectively become redundant - the monopoly on chassis supplies as part of the 2017 regulation package means that most of their current in house development resources would automatically become worthless. They could compete cheaply in the long run, but they'd potentially face a fairly high upfront cost in redundancy packages for those who are no longer required.
The Chicane

Post by The Chicane »

I do feel Sauber's time in Formula One is coming to a close. :(

As Eddie Jordan once said "Formula One sadly doesn't have room for small privateers anymore"