Ponderbox

The place for speaking your mind on current goings-on in F1
Cynon

Re: Ponderbox

Post by Cynon »

tommykl wrote:
Cynon wrote:
Klon wrote:[quote="mario"That is another possibility - it shares some characteristics with Bahrain, where Manor also performed fairly well, so it might be one of their stronger tracks this season.quote]

And, unlike Bahrain, it could also provide wet weather racing. Although come to think of it, if their calling card for an upset is speed, rain would not really help.[/quote]

Silly Klon, F1 doesn't race in anything harder than light rain anymore. I think Bianchi's incident scared them too much.[/quote]
There hasn't been very much in terms of heavy rain since then, though, has there? I mean, unless I've forgotten a massive thunderstorm that caused a red flag within the past 18 months...[/quote]

Bianchi's crash occurred under safety car now that I think about it. But either way, I can't see racing in the rain happening often in the future unless it's a very light rain.

Maybe it's a Pirelli rain tire problem, maybe not, but they're better than Firestone's rain tires (which in Firestone's defense I don't think were ever given proper tests).
Check out the TM Master Cup Series on Youtube...
...or check out my random retro IndyCar clips.

Dr. Helmut Marko wrote: Finally we have an Australian in the team who can start a race well and challenge Vettel.
mario

Post by mario »

Cynon wrote:Bianchi's crash occurred under safety car now that I think about it. But either way, I can't see racing in the rain happening often in the future unless it's a very light rain.

Maybe it's a Pirelli rain tire problem, maybe not, but they're better than Firestone's rain tires (which in Firestone's defense I don't think were ever given proper tests).

Pirelli have complained in the past that the teams were not co-operating with them when it came to testing their wet weather tyres, particularly in pre-season testing. They tried to agree a system whereby the teams would undertake a certain amount of running in the pre-season tests in wet weather but, with the teams naturally preferring to focus on developing their car, rather than undertaking tests on behalf of Pirelli, the teams didn't run as many laps in wet conditions as Pirelli was hoping they would do.

It's still something of a problem for them as well, especially since the FIA's regulations on using older cars for testing purposes does have an impact on Pirelli as well. They've announced that they are having to turn back to using the old V8 powered cars to begin with to develop the carcass structure and compounds for their 2017 tyres, with the hope of using one of the more recent hybrid powered cars later this year.
Martin Brundle, on watching a replay of Grosjean spinning:
"The problem with Grosjean is that he want to take a look back at the corner he's just exited"
The Chicane

Post by The Chicane »

F1 needs more European races and less in countries who don't know s**t about it.
RENAULT CLASSIC (1977 - 2017)
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
11 : Drivers' titles
12 : Constructors' titles
Bobby Doorknobs

Post by Bobby Doorknobs »

ChequeredFlagNope wrote:F1 needs more European races and less in countries who don't know s**t about it.

What better way do you know of bringing F1 to new markets?
#FreeGonzo
The Chicane

Post by The Chicane »

Simtek wrote:
ChequeredFlagNope wrote:F1 needs more European races and less in countries who don't know s**t about it.

Please don't tell me you support Bernie and his fetish for fanless Tilkedrom's
Bobby Doorknobs

ChequeredFlagNope wrote:
Simtek wrote:

No, I support bringing F1 to new countries to expand its fanbase. That has nothing to do with either of those things.

The actual marketing is a whole different story though...
#FreeGonzo
Rob Dylan

Post by Rob Dylan »

ChequeredFlagNope wrote:
Simtek wrote:

For those, dear friends, are the two options:
1. only European races
2. "fanless Tilkedrom's"
Murray Walker at the 1997 Austrian Grand Prix wrote:The other [Stewart] driver, who nobody's been paying attention to, because he's disappointing, is Jan Magnussen.
Felipe Nasr - the least forgettable F1 driver!
The Chicane

Post by The Chicane »

Simtek wrote:No, I support bringing F1 to new countries to expand its fanbase. That has nothing to do with either of those things.

Seeing Bernie bring F1 to Azerbaijan and not have races in France or Argentina grinds my gears, both Korea and India were complete failures.

(I know Argentina isn't European, I'm just talking about races in general.)
AndreaModa

Post by AndreaModa »

ChequeredFlagNope wrote:
Simtek wrote:No, I support bringing F1 to new countries to expand its fanbase. That has nothing to do with either of those things.

Seeing Bernie bring F1 to Azerbaijan and not have races in France or Argentina grinds my gears, both Korea and India were complete failures.

(I know Argentina isn't European, I'm just talking about races in general.)

You're on the right lines, but you're going about the argument in the wrong way. F1 needs to be in places where it's going to be appreciated and have a strong fanbase. A good example of that in recent years is its return to Mexico. That's the sort of country it needs to be targeting - big and rising population, aspirational and expanding middle class. Same with China, and importantly, India. You say India was a failure but that was mainly due to the backward nature of India's policy on foreign companies and its tax structure. If they resolve that, I'm sure F1 will go back, because it's a market they need to be in.

All that said, with the increasingly obvious attempt to position the sport towards a rich, ageing demographic, none of the above really matters. The only people really wanting the large exposure are the sponsors, and if F1 can secure similar levels of revenue through other means (for example, huge pay TV contracts and countries willing to pay huge hosting fees) then the whole argument about pleasing the sponsors by visiting large markets becomes irrelevant.
I want my MTV...Simtek Ford

My Motorsport Photos

@DNPQ_
Aguaman

Post by Aguaman »

India never does sport right. They released tickets for the WT20 like two weeks before the event actually started. 2010 Commonwealth Games were shambles.

They only thing they can host is the IPL. India is just a difficult country, I should know.
Aislabie

Post by Aislabie »

If I were doing an alternate Championship for standings at the end of the first lap, these would be the standings:

Code: Select all

=======================================
F1 SHOOTOUT STANDINGS
DRIVERS CHAMPIONSHIP
--------------------
Nico Rosberg     (83) (2 wins - BAH, RUS)
Felipe Massa     (46)
Daniel Ricciardo (39) (1 win - CHN)
Kimi Raikkonen   (36)
Valtteri Bottas  (31)
Sebastian Vettel (29) (1 win - AUS)
Lewis Hamilton   (24)
Max Verstappen   (22)
Daniil Kvyat     (15)
Nico Hulkenberg  (14)
Carlos Sainz     (14)
Sergio Perez     (12)
Romain Grosjean  (12)
Fernando Alonso   (7)
Esteban Gutierrez (4)
Jenson Button     (3)
Kevin Magnussen   (2)
Jolyon Palmer     (1)
CONSTRUCTORS CHAMPIONSHIP
-------------------------
Mercedes        (107) (2 wins - BAH, AUS)
Williams         (77)
Ferrari          (75) (1 win - AUS)
Red Bull         (54) (1 win - CHN)
Toro Rosso       (36)
Force India      (26)
Haas             (18)
McLaren          (12)
Renault           (3)
Sauber             - (Best: 11th)
Manor              - (Best: 14th)

Williams seems to be the only team getting off to a consistently good start this year.
Aguaman

Post by Aguaman »

Aislabie wrote:If I were doing an alternate Championship for standings at the end of the first lap, these would be the standings:

Code: Select all

F1 SHOOTOUT STANDINGS
DRIVERS CHAMPIONSHIP
--------------------
Nico Rosberg     (83) (2 wins - BAH, RUS)
Felipe Massa     (46)
Daniel Ricciardo (39) (1 win - CHN)
Kimi Raikkonen   (36)
Valtteri Bottas  (31)
Sebastian Vettel (29) (1 win - AUS)
Lewis Hamilton   (24)
Max Verstappen   (22)
Daniil Kvyat     (15)
Nico Hulkenberg  (14)
Carlos Sainz     (14)
Sergio Perez     (12)
Romain Grosjean  (12)
Fernando Alonso   (7)
Esteban Gutierrez (4)
Jenson Button     (3)
Kevin Magnussen   (2)
Jolyon Palmer     (1)
CONSTRUCTORS CHAMPIONSHIP
-------------------------
Mercedes        (107) (2 wins - BAH, AUS)
Williams         (77)
Ferrari          (75) (1 win - AUS)
Red Bull         (54) (1 win - CHN)
Toro Rosso       (36)
Force India      (26)
Haas             (18)
McLaren          (12)
Renault           (3)
Sauber             - (Best: 11th)
Manor              - (Best: 14th)

Williams seems to be the only team getting off to a consistently good start this year.

lolPalmer.
Rob Dylan

Post by Rob Dylan »

So Hamilton hasn't led the first lap of any race this year? wow
Murray Walker at the 1997 Austrian Grand Prix wrote:The other [Stewart] driver, who nobody's been paying attention to, because he's disappointing, is Jan Magnussen.
Felipe Nasr - the least forgettable F1 driver!
good_Ralf

Post by good_Ralf »

Rob Dylan wrote:So Hamilton hasn't led the first lap of any race this year? wow

For a moment, you made me wonder if Lewis has led even a single lap at all this year. He's actually led just one lap, during one of the pit stop phases in Bahrain. But it isn't the first time he's failed to lead any laps over the opening 4 races of a season, it happened in 2009 and 2010.
Check out the position of the sun on 2 August at 20:08 in my garden

Allard Kalff in 1994 wrote:OH!! Schumacher in the wall! Right in front of us, Michael Schumacher is in the wall! He's hit the pitwall, he c... Ah, it's Jos Verstappen.
Bobby Doorknobs

This is really a minor gripe at the end of the day, but I think it's kind of sad that national Grands Prix existing independently of F1 are all but dead. A lot of countries used to host a Grand Prix bearing the name of the country but wasn't necessarily held to F1 regulations. Australia did it for nearly sixty years before joining the F1 calendar, Denmark did it, Sweden did it, Portugal did it, Venezuela did it, Cuba did it, Rhodesia did it. Only New Zealand still does it today.
#FreeGonzo
CaptainGetz12
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by CaptainGetz12 »

Simtek wrote:This is really a minor gripe at the end of the day, but I think it's kind of sad that national Grands Prix existing independently of F1 are all but dead. A lot of countries used to host a Grand Prix bearing the name of the country but wasn't necessarily held to F1 regulations. Australia did it for nearly sixty years before joining the F1 calendar, Denmark did it, Sweden did it, Portugal did it, Venezuela did it, Cuba did it, Rhodesia did it. Only New Zealand still does it today.

Could you count Indycar? They have Grand Prix of Toronto, Houston, Indianapolis, and whatnot

You can just say that Indycar has numerous US and Canadian Grand Prix :D
Klon wrote:What did poor André do to you for him to be insulted like that?
Bobby Doorknobs

CaptainGetz12 wrote:
Simtek wrote:This is really a minor gripe at the end of the day, but I think it's kind of sad that national Grands Prix existing independently of F1 are all but dead. A lot of countries used to host a Grand Prix bearing the name of the country but wasn't necessarily held to F1 regulations. Australia did it for nearly sixty years before joining the F1 calendar, Denmark did it, Sweden did it, Portugal did it, Venezuela did it, Cuba did it, Rhodesia did it. Only New Zealand still does it today.

Could you count Indycar? They have Grand Prix of Toronto, Houston, Indianapolis, and whatnot

You can just say that Indycar has numerous US and Canadian Grand Prix :D

No, I mean a Grand Prix with the name of the country, like "Swedish Grand Prix" or "Danish Grand Prix", though it is nice that IndyCar still does that with Long Beach, Alabama etc. A title like that really gives the race a sense of importance, something lacking in titles like "Korea Superprix" or the various "ePrixs", though I suppose the latter is part of Formula E's attempt to establish its own identity.
#FreeGonzo
UncreativeUsername37

Post by UncreativeUsername37 »

Simtek wrote:A title like that really gives the race a sense of importance, something lacking in titles like "Korea Superprix" or the various "ePrixs", though I suppose the latter is part of Formula E's attempt to establish its own identity.

That's exactly why it shouldn't happen. For someone other than F1 or IndyCar to call their race a "Grand Prix" would be incredibly arrogant.
Rob Dylan wrote:Mercedes paying homage to the other W12 chassis by breaking down 30 minutes in
Bobby Doorknobs

UgncreativeUsergname wrote:
Simtek wrote:A title like that really gives the race a sense of importance, something lacking in titles like "Korea Superprix" or the various "ePrixs", though I suppose the latter is part of Formula E's attempt to establish its own identity.

That's exactly why it shouldn't happen. For someone other than F1 or IndyCar to call their race a "Grand Prix" would be incredibly arrogant.

I haven't seen anyone make that complaint about Pau or Macau, and those are F3 races.
#FreeGonzo
Nessafox
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Nessafox »

Simtek wrote:
UgncreativeUsergname wrote:

I haven't seen anyone make that complaint about Pau or Macau, and those are F3 races.

Nothing wrong with historic names in my opinion. I wouldn't object to the return of the historically incredibly insignificant Grand Prix Des Frontières either. (if only Chimay could handle cars faster than Trabant...)
I don't know what i want and i want it now!
Bobby Doorknobs

novitopoli wrote:What were your misconceptions about Formula One when you started following this sport?

Returning to this question, a distant memory has come back to me of my brother telling me about F3000, and me thinking there were 2,998 other racing formulae between F1 and F3000 in existence.

Yeah, I was about four or five at the time...
#FreeGonzo
Aislabie

Post by Aislabie »

I tried to put together a Vegas circuit on the Strip like the Talking Testicle wants. It's probably not very good, so I was wondering if anyone could propose a better alternative, as I can't really see a way that the Strip could host a sensible Grand Prix.
Peteroli34

Post by Peteroli34 »

Can it be be possible for F1 cars to be hacked Could some hack into the car and switch of the engine or something?
mario

Post by mario »

peteroli34 wrote:Can it be be possible for F1 cars to be hacked Could some hack into the car and switch of the engine or something?

I would have thought that it is probably not something that could be easily achieved given that there is a long standing ban (introduced in 2003) on bi-directional telemetry systems. In other words, whilst data can be transferred from the car to the garage, either via wired or wireless systems, the team is not permitted to send data from the pit wall to the car to remotely alter the settings of the car - hence why we have had so many radio messages in the past instructing drivers on how they could alter the onboard settings of the car.

Now, that is not to say that it would be impossible as there have been experiments on remotely disabling cars - I believe that the British police have trialled a series of systems to remotely disable the engine of a car by remotely interfering with the ECU and forcing it into an automatic shutdown state. However, it is probably the case that some modern passenger vehicles would be more vulnerable to that sort of malicious act as many are now designed with wireless connectivity - the recall by Fiat-Chrysler in 2015 after a Jeep was remotely hacked and could be remotely controlled was perhaps the highest profile example.
"The problem with Grosjean is that he want to take a look back at the corner he's just exited"
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

mario wrote:
peteroli34 wrote:Can it be be possible for F1 cars to be hacked Could some hack into the car and switch of the engine or something?

I would have thought that it is probably not something that could be easily achieved given that there is a long standing ban (introduced in 2003) on bi-directional telemetry systems. In other words, whilst data can be transferred from the car to the garage, either via wired or wireless systems, the team is not permitted to send data from the pit wall to the car to remotely alter the settings of the car - hence why we have had so many radio messages in the past instructing drivers on how they could alter the onboard settings of the car.

Now, that is not to say that it would be impossible as there have been experiments on remotely disabling cars - I believe that the British police have trialled a series of systems to remotely disable the engine of a car by remotely interfering with the ECU and forcing it into an automatic shutdown state. However, it is probably the case that some modern passenger vehicles would be more vulnerable to that sort of malicious act as many are now designed with wireless connectivity - the recall by Fiat-Chrysler in 2015 after a Jeep was remotely hacked and could be remotely controlled was perhaps the highest profile example.

Surely it doesn't have to be too sophisticated to shut a car down? Didn't Mark Webber's Red Bull retire from one of the early Singapore Grands Prix because of electrical interference of a tube train passing under the track at just the wrong moment?
watka wrote:I find it amusing that whilst you're one of the more openly Christian guys here, you are still first and foremost associated with an eye for the ladies!
dinizintheoven wrote:GOOD CHRISTIANS do not go to jail. EVERYONE ON FORMULA ONE REJECTS should be in jail.
MCard LOLA
tommykl

Post by tommykl »

dr-baker wrote:
mario wrote:

Surely it doesn't have to be too sophisticated to shut a car down? Didn't Mark Webber's Red Bull retire from one of the early Singapore Grands Prix because of electrical interference of a tube train passing under the track at just the wrong moment?

Well, electrical interference and willful shutdown of a car via hacking are different things. An EMP would take out all the cars on track, and all phones and cameras in the area for good measure.
kevinbotz wrote:Cantonese is a completely nonsensical f*cking alien language masquerading as some grossly bastardised form of Chinese

Gonzo wrote:Wasn't there some sort of communisim in the East part of Germany?
mario

Post by mario »

dr-baker wrote:
mario wrote:

There was a popular theory at the time that one of the servo valves in Webber's transmission system had failed due to electrical interference from the metro system, but I believe that Red Bull subsequently discounted that theory.

I suppose that you could try a brute force attack on a car that disabled it - for example, by bombarding the car with radiowaves which cause the ECU to stop functioning correctly (which has been trialled by some police forces as a way of stopping a speeding car) - but, with the limitations on what data can be sent to the car, it would probably be harder to conduct a targeted attack that set out to shut down a particular system on the car.
The Chicane

Post by The Chicane »

I was looking up on team history and found out that Benetton Formula wasn't just born from the Toleman Motorsport team but also from the small Spirit Racing team as well, the Benetton family purchased both teams and combined them to make Benetton Formula in 1986, I'm not 100% sure if they did purchase Spirit Racing too can anybody clear this up with me?
Bobby Doorknobs

ChequeredFlagNope wrote:I was looking up on team history and found out that Benetton Formula wasn't just born from the Toleman Motorsport team but also from the small Spirit Racing team as well, the Benetton family purchased both teams and combined them to make Benetton Formula in 1986, I'm not 100% sure if they did purchase Spirit Racing too can anybody clear this up with me?

Toleman weren't initially able to compete in 1985 due to having no tyre contract. After Spirit folded three races in the Benetton Group purchased the remains of the team and transferred their Pirelli tyre contract to Toleman, who Benetton were of course sponsoring at this stage.
#FreeGonzo
The Chicane

Post by The Chicane »

Simtek wrote:
ChequeredFlagNope wrote:I was looking up on team history and found out that Benetton Formula wasn't just born from the Toleman Motorsport team but also from the small Spirit Racing team as well, the Benetton family purchased both teams and combined them to make Benetton Formula in 1986, I'm not 100% sure if they did purchase Spirit Racing too can anybody clear this up with me?

Toleman weren't initially able to compete in 1985 due to having no tyre contract. After Spirit folded three races in the Benetton Group purchased the remains of the team and transferred their Pirelli tyre contract to Toleman, who Benetton were of course sponsoring at this stage.

Thanks for clearing that up. :)
Ataxia
Not Important

Post by Ataxia »

Yeah, Toleman had a bust-up with Pirelli in 1984 because they'd broken contract to get hold of a Michelin supply. The Pirelli tyres of that time, in contrast to today, were rock-solid and were very difficult to work and generate heat. After Michelin scaled back their customer support, Toleman were left in the lurch and it was only through Benetton purchasing Spirit's supply that they were able to run.

Not that it mattered, since the TG185 was more prone to breaking than a house made of breadsticks.
Mitch Hedberg wrote:I want to be a race car passenger: just a guy who bugs the driver. Say man, can I turn on the radio? You should slow down. Why do we gotta keep going in circles? Man, you really like Tide...
AndreaModa

Post by AndreaModa »

Ataxia wrote:Yeah, Toleman had a bust-up with Pirelli in 1984 because they'd broken contract to get hold of a Michelin supply. The Pirelli tyres of that time, in contrast to today, were rock-solid and were very difficult to work and generate heat. After Michelin scaled back their customer support, Toleman were left in the lurch and it was only through Benetton purchasing Spirit's supply that they were able to run.

Not that it mattered, since the TG185 was more prone to breaking than a house made of breadsticks.

And as a sub-text to that, they couldn't get Goodyears because they'd already pissed them off by breaking contract and switching to Pirelli back in F2! Toleman and tyre contracts didn't mix!
I want my MTV...Simtek Ford

My Motorsport Photos

@DNPQ_
solarcold

Post by solarcold »

I know this probably isn't an appropriate place to post it, but I felt it would be unfair if I didn't notify anyone.
For a long time already I've been slowly cutting my Internet usage, I deleted all my social media and other accounts. My ultimate goal is to live a life free of Internet; my reasoning certainly doesn't belong here and it's too long to explain.
I just never mentioned it, but GPRejects was the last resource of public discussion I kept logging in to (apart from EMail). Now it's time to finally let go. Just know that you're all cool guys and this resource is an awesome place. Feel free to mail me at [email protected] if in any case you want it.
I wish GPRejects to prosper forever and to witness one day a glorious victory of a grandgrandson of Rio Haryanto for Sauber-Manor Audi F1 Team.
From Russia with love,
Alex
"Here's your car. Go nuts."
Dallara, 2010
CoopsII

Post by CoopsII »

solarcold wrote:I know this probably isn't an appropriate place to post it, but I felt it would be unfair if I didn't notify anyone.
For a long time already I've been slowly cutting my Internet usage, I deleted all my social media and other accounts. My ultimate goal is to live a life free of Internet; my reasoning certainly doesn't belong here and it's too long to explain.
I just never mentioned it, but GPRejects was the last resource of public discussion I kept logging in to (apart from EMail). Now it's time to finally let go. Just know that you're all cool guys and this resource is an awesome place. Feel free to mail me at [email protected] if in any case you want it.
I wish GPRejects to prosper forever and to witness one day a glorious victory of a grandgrandson of Rio Haryanto for Sauber-Manor Audi F1 Team.
From Russia with love,
Alex

Well that's bad news. I blame Putin.
Just For One Day...
Row Man Gross-Gene

Post by Row Man Gross-Gene »

solarcold wrote:I know this probably isn't an appropriate place to post it, but I felt it would be unfair if I didn't notify anyone.
From Russia with love,
Alex

So long Alex (Solarcold) It's always sad when we lose someone's perspective around here. Best of luck in all you do.
It's just unbelievable...that Formula 1 could be such a ridiculous melange of idiots.

-Jamie McGregor

Check out my colo(u)ring pages website: http://sites.google.com/site/carcoloringpages/
CaptainGetz12
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by CaptainGetz12 »

From Russia with love,
Alex

It's a bit sad to see you go, but I wish you the best wherever life takes you. Just watch out for Putin ;)
Klon wrote:What did poor André do to you for him to be insulted like that?
DanielPT
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by DanielPT »

From Russia with love,
Alex

Well I guess it was about time we started to have a larger group of 'naturalists'. It goes with the technology advances. ;) A not unwise decision, Alex. Wish you all the best through your life!
Colin Kolles on F111, 2011 HRT challenger: The car doesn't look too bad; it looks like a modern F1 car.
Izzyeviel

Post by Izzyeviel »

Isn't the traditional racing colour of Italy blue??
Bobby Doorknobs

Izzyeviel wrote:Isn't the traditional racing colour of Italy blue??

It probably would have been had the colour not been chosen to represent France in the Gordon Bennett races, which the Italians didn't take part in until 1904. Red was free, so they went with that; at least, I think they did. In any case, red was supposedly adopted on a permanent basis after a red Itala won the famous Peking to Paris race in 1907.
#FreeGonzo
mario

Post by mario »

From Russia with love,
Alex

Well, it is a shame to lose you again so soon after you'd returned - it was always interesting to hear your viewpoint on things. Still, I am sure that it shall be for the best in the end.

Simtek wrote:
Izzyeviel wrote:Isn't the traditional racing colour of Italy blue??

It probably would have been had the colour not been chosen to represent France in the Gordon Bennett races, which the Italians didn't take part in until 1904. Red was free, so they went with that; at least, I think they did. In any case, red was supposedly adopted on a permanent basis after a red Itala won the famous Peking to Paris race in 1907.

It's certainly the case that the national colour of Italy in sporting events has traditionally been blue, having previously been associated with the House of Savoy. As you say, though, given that the French (who also have a strong association with that colour) were awarded that colour first, although the USA appears to have originally take up the colour red as their national colour before it became associated with Italy.