The Junior Series Thread

The place for speaking your mind on current goings-on in F1
yannicksamlad
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: The Junior Series Thread

Post by yannicksamlad »

So in GP2 Armand is in at Trident (rookie) with Ghiotto and Malja is at Rapax. So some new (ish) faces . Apparently Stefano Domenicali was saying that there aren't so many drivers looking at GP2 this year - lack of money, or preferring elsewhere, and same for F3 ( where they've got 24 cars , unlike last years 33/35) so are extending the deadline for entries ..
Whereas F4 has lots of support ...
Looks like times are tough.....

So still places at Arden, Status, Carlin for GP2......and 2 Hilmer cars are knocking about somewhere...
I started supporting Emmo in 1976 (3 points )....missed 75, 74, 73, 72...
Ataxia
Not Important

Post by Ataxia »

ART's GP3 lineup consists of Nyck de Vries, Alexander Albon, Nirei Fukuzumi and now Charles Leclerc.

That's a horrifically strong lineup, and if they don't clean house something very wrong will have happened!
Mitch Hedberg wrote:I want to be a race car passenger: just a guy who bugs the driver. Say man, can I turn on the radio? You should slow down. Why do we gotta keep going in circles? Man, you really like Tide...
golic_2004

Post by golic_2004 »

Ataxia wrote:ART's GP3 lineup consists of Nyck de Vries, Alexander Albon, Nirei Fukuzumi and now Charles Leclerc.

That's a horrifically strong lineup, and if they don't clean house something very wrong will have happened!

Perhaps Sandy Stuvik and Antonio Fuoco of Trident will be the "very wrong" that happened.
Williams in the last few years http://imgur.com/sNFFMYF
yannicksamlad
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by yannicksamlad »

Does look like ART stranglehold will be difficult to dislodge...but is Nyck de Vries really convincing you that he's top class? He's experienced, and he is quick, but I think the tag that he's a 'future F1 star' is not being applied so much to his name. Somehow doesn't quite seem to have developed as much recently...in my view at least.

Any thoughts? Which of that ART GP3 team will win a GP?
girry

Post by girry »

de Vries already proved himself on his FR3.5 debut season - a series stronger in driver field and machinery than GP3 - so with that experience he has to be considered the favorite, even if Leclerc may be considered the better talent
when you're dead people start listening
yannicksamlad
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by yannicksamlad »

I suppose I forgot how young de Vries is still. But he was with DAMS and I was expecting a bit more. He'd done 2.0 for a while..
Anyway, we will see, but somehow I am thinking Nyck has lost a little of his shine. Plenty of time for him to develop, though.
AdrianBelmonte_

Post by AdrianBelmonte_ »

So Can'tamasas himself is near to get a seat in Manor, seriously...

http://www.caranddriverthef1.com/formul ... ador-manor (in spanish)
#FoxesFansHooligans

#HaasShouldBeSoLucky
yannicksamlad
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by yannicksamlad »

Looks like Rossi beat Sergio to the Manor reserve role ( although that may still leave 'test driver'/'development driver' or whatever , and meanwhile Marvin Kirchhofer seems to have a Carlin place for the season ..
Sergio went well at the test for Status

Still a place at Carlin, and both Status places ...and both the Arden drives..
Nessafox
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Nessafox »

Meanwhile in Formula V8 3.5 teams are dropping like flies.
But there's also good news: Durango is back!
I don't know what i want and i want it now!
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

watka wrote:I find it amusing that whilst you're one of the more openly Christian guys here, you are still first and foremost associated with an eye for the ladies!
dinizintheoven wrote:GOOD CHRISTIANS do not go to jail. EVERYONE ON FORMULA ONE REJECTS should be in jail.
MCard LOLA
Aislabie

Post by Aislabie »

But more importantly, POINTS FOR BIETSKE VISSER! I mean sure, they give those out to the top ten of a 15-car field, but still.

However, with the instant decline of FV8, and the likes of Palmer and Haryanto providing less than sterling adverts for GP2, you have to wonder where the teams are most likely to pick their talent up from. Will we see more drivers signed straight out of F3 like Verstappen? Lance Stroll has already been with both Ferrari and Williams, so it doesn't seem that far-fetched to me
watka
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by watka »

FV8 is a treasure trove of sons this year! Deletraz, Panis, Nissany, Cecotto and Fittipaldi (and Papis!) families represented!
Watka - you know, the swimming horses guy
golic_2004

Post by golic_2004 »

That son-of-a-Deletraz is winning.
AxelP800

Post by AxelP800 »

While Durango signed gentleman driver Giuseppe Cipriani, and I don't think it works well....

On other note I feel GP3/16 looks like Ferrari 2015 or Mercs.
Rio Haryanto for the win!
He upon seeing me accidentaly paint Belgian flag rotated 90 deg to right
tommykl returns from the bathroom
tommykl reads the chat logs
tommykl has a stroke
Nessafox
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Nessafox »

AxelP800 wrote:While Durango signed gentleman driver Giuseppe Cipriani, and I don't think it works well....

On other note I feel GP3/16 looks like Ferrari 2015 or Mercs.

Considering his age, he probably just lacks the experience.
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

This wrote:
AxelP800 wrote:While Durango signed gentleman driver Giuseppe Cipriani, and I don't think it works well.....

Considering his age, he probably just lacks the experience.

That's what Don Pentecost said...
watka wrote:I find it amusing that whilst you're one of the more openly Christian guys here, you are still first and foremost associated with an eye for the ladies!
dinizintheoven wrote:GOOD CHRISTIANS do not go to jail. EVERYONE ON FORMULA ONE REJECTS should be in jail.
MCard LOLA
novitopoli
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by novitopoli »

That pure reject gold called Formula 3's back this weekend: as if FORTY lap times being deleted to to all but three drivers not respecting track limits weren't rejectful enough, Nikita Mazepin was banned from the first race after punching another driver in the face. http://wtf1.co.uk/mazepin-banned-hungary-f3/
sw3ishida wrote:Jolyon Palmer brought us closer as a couple, for which I am grateful.

Ataxia wrote:
Londoner wrote:Something I've thought about - what happens to our canon should we have a worldwide recession or some other outside event?

We'll be fine. It's Canon, non Kodak.
Nessafox
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Nessafox »

Vandoorne just debuted with a 3rd place in the Super Formula.
Now the Super Formula isn't just an easy feeder category to debut in, with the likes of the LotterrerLegend nd the Sushi Chef being in it, so this is impressive. (especially compared to his countryman Baguette, who got a lot more trouble being competitive)
girry

Post by girry »

Yup, it's more impressive a performance than many will realize at the first glance. We've seen the likes of Liuzzi (who most would probably describe a F1-standard driver) and Baguette fail to break into top 6 even once on their debut seasons in Japan - and Baguette even had the advantage of one full Super GT season before Super Formula, so he even knew the tracks. Karthikeyan raced for a top team yet failed to convert it into anything..
when you're dead people start listening
yannicksamlad
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by yannicksamlad »

GP2 - Arden have finalised Nabil Jeffri and Jimmy Eriksson...for 2016. Not entirely sure Nabil Jeffri is going to shine ....
Still places at Status..and one at Carlin...Status didnt do the last test, so I am assuming they are struggling a bit which is a shame as GP2 really is such a great series when the tyres aren't too ridiculous. I still find it a shame that Hilmer dropped off and we dont have a full grid.
SuzukiSwift

Post by SuzukiSwift »

giraurd wrote:Yup, it's more impressive a performance than many will realize at the first glance. We've seen the likes of Liuzzi (who most would probably describe a F1-standard driver) and Baguette fail to break into top 6 even once on their debut seasons in Japan - and Baguette even had the advantage of one full Super GT season before Super Formula, so he even knew the tracks. Karthikeyan raced for a top team yet failed to convert it into anything..

It is a good series. The locals are no slouch either,Hiroaki Ishihura, some guy like 3 people outside of Japan or this website have heard of, won the championship last year.
AndreaModa

Post by AndreaModa »

yannicksamlad wrote:GP2 - Arden have finalised Nabil Jeffri and Jimmy Eriksson...for 2016. Not entirely sure Nabil Jeffri is going to shine ....
Still places at Status..and one at Carlin...Status didnt do the last test, so I am assuming they are struggling a bit which is a shame as GP2 really is such a great series when the tyres aren't too ridiculous. I still find it a shame that Hilmer dropped off and we dont have a full grid.

Just too expensive. No-one has the money these days, whether you're good or not.
I want my MTV...Simtek Ford

My Motorsport Photos

@DNPQ_
golic_2004

Post by golic_2004 »

Yannick

Post by Yannick »

golic_2004 wrote:http://www.motorsport.com/eurof3/news/nelson-piquet-jr-to-contest-european-f3-round-at-pau-734877/
What's the point? :facepalm:

This is a WTB (what the bathplug) moment indeed. :chilton:

Maybe the team just needed a replacement driver on short notice and they knew he could do that well because of his one-off IndyLights performance last year? Stranger things have happened.
"I don't think we should be used to finance (the manufacturers') R&D because they will produce that engine anyway" said Monisha Kaltenborn.
"You will never see a Mercedes using a Ferrari engine or the other way round."
golic_2004

Post by golic_2004 »

Yannick wrote:
golic_2004 wrote:http://www.motorsport.com/eurof3/news/nelson-piquet-jr-to-contest-european-f3-round-at-pau-734877/
What's the point? :facepalm:

This is a WTB (what the bathplug) moment indeed. :chilton:

Maybe the team just needed a replacement driver on short notice and they knew he could do that well because of his one-off IndyLights performance last year? Stranger things have happened.

Based on what I see on Wikipedia, he will be in the 19 car vacated by Rauol Hyman, who only contested the first round of the championship.
Ataxia
Not Important

Post by Ataxia »

Mitch Hedberg wrote:I want to be a race car passenger: just a guy who bugs the driver. Say man, can I turn on the radio? You should slow down. Why do we gotta keep going in circles? Man, you really like Tide...
golic_2004

Post by golic_2004 »

AxelP800

Post by AxelP800 »

golic_2004 wrote:http://www.motorsport.com/eurof3/news/fia-refuses-to-allow-nelson-piquet-jr-to-race-f3-at-pau-735439/ smart move, FIA

:dance:

Boooo. I love to see Nelsinho demolished the field (dominating)
tommykl has a stroke
golic_2004

Post by golic_2004 »

Now don't you make me look like the bad guy, Axel. :P I like Piquet Jr. :P
lance_rambert

Post by lance_rambert »

AxelP800 wrote:Boooo. I love to see Nelsinho demolished the field (dominating)

Eh. Whatever. I can do without it. I get enough of that watching Kyle Buschwhacker bulldoze every damn non-Cup race he pops into.
AxelP800

Post by AxelP800 »

lance_rambert wrote:
AxelP800 wrote:Boooo. I love to see Nelsinho demolished the field (dominating)

Eh. Whatever. I can do without it. I get enough of that watching Kyle Busch bulldoze every non-Cup race he pops into.

Nah, Cup had done it too often that it's now hideous. But Nelsinho/Europe only doing this in a giga-rare one-offs, no problem with that.
tommykl has a stroke
Miguel98

Post by Miguel98 »

Uhm.... The Catalunya circuit might not be the best example but.... the new GP3 is not producing good racing. At all. The field is all bunched up, but overtakes just don't happen. The car doesn't have any kind of splipstream power down the straights, and it carries way too much dirty air through the corners, so it's hard to follow. And seeing how close the field is, overtakes just don't happen.
Mario on Gutierrez after the Italian Grand Prix wrote:He's no longer just a bit of a tool, he's the entire tool set.

18-07-2015: Forever in our hearts Jules.
25-08-2015: Forever in our hearts Justin.
Londoner

Post by Londoner »

Gelael, what the bathplug was that?! Absolutely mindless move on Giovanazzi. :facepalm:
Fetzie on Ferrari wrote:How does a driver hurtling around a race track while they're sous-viding in their overalls have a better understanding of the race than a team of strategy engineers in an air-conditioned room?l
Ataxia
Not Important

Post by Ataxia »

East Londoner wrote:Gelael, what the bathplug was that?! Absolutely mindless move on Giovanazzi. :facepalm:

Absolutely awful, wasn't it? Gelael has the talent of a barnacle, and reading his bizarre tweets after the race he's got the class of a sewer rat.

lance_rambert

Post by lance_rambert »

Interpret this as you like, but it seems that everything is peachy keen over in the Campos camp?

Ataxia
Not Important

Post by Ataxia »

To me, that just shows a lack of remorse for hurting his friend...Gelael's trying to brush it under the carpet.
AxelP800

Post by AxelP800 »

The thing is Giovinazzi could still avoided the accident. He had a widening road in the inside of braking zone even if he won't slow down enough for the corner he would slowed down enough to avoid Pic, or back-off from the move to the outside to avoid the accident. With these options he could avoided the accident.
tommykl has a stroke
yannicksamlad
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by yannicksamlad »

Miguel98 wrote:Uhm.... The Catalunya circuit might not be the best example but.... the new GP3 is not producing good racing. At all. The field is all bunched up, but overtakes just don't happen. The car doesn't have any kind of splipstream power down the straights, and it carries way too much dirty air through the corners, so it's hard to follow. And seeing how close the field is, overtakes just don't happen.

Yes, I was stunned to see them all , lap after lap 0.7 secs apart...they all have same traction (whereas the GP2 teams seem to vary more in their ability to find traction and grip) , they can't follow too close ..and they get no slipstream.. Calderon managed a pass..and very few others did. The tyres didn't go off so there was no 'Pirelli-madness' where you just lose 2 secs/lap ( whereas GP2 suffers too much from that sometimes) , possibly because with a new quick car Pirelli took it conservative. ..So there was no passing .

I wonder if F1 2017 will do the same...faster , more powerful...less tyre drop off... ...they may rely entirely on DRS to get by.
Forester

Post by Forester »

AxelP800 wrote:The thing is Giovinazzi could still avoided the accident. He had a widening road in the inside of braking zone even if he won't slow down enough for the corner he would slowed down enough to avoid Pic, or back-off from the move to the outside to avoid the accident. With these options he could avoided the accident.

The widening road that you mentioned doesn't start until after Galeal drove into him. The fact that Galeal made contact wheel-to-wheel, rather than simply clattering over Giovinazzi's wing, is evidence that Giovinazzi was far enough alongside to both be entitled space and to reasonably expect to either outbrake Galeal outright or assume track position on the apex and force the overtake there.

Giovinazzi had already done all he reasonably could to avoid an accident: he was already as far left as possible and did not deviate his course until after Galeal drove into him, at which point it was beyond his control.
AdrianBelmonte_

Post by AdrianBelmonte_ »

#FoxesFansHooligans

#HaasShouldBeSoLucky