My Rejectful Karting

The place for anything and everything else to do with F1 history, different forms of motorsport, and all other randomness
shinji
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: My Rejectful Karting

Post by shinji »

Alianora La Canta wrote:
thehemogoblin - 2 posts ago wrote:Alianora, have you, by chance, tried doing ctrl-a and highlighting everything? Maybe that would help you to read it.

*tries it out*

You know what? It does!

Huzzah!
Better than 'Tour in a suit case' Takagi.
Waris

Post by Waris »

*hugs everyone*

^______^
MOTOR RACING IS DANGEROUS
Phoenix

Post by Phoenix »

Waris wrote:*hugs everyone*

^______^

Sorry, I wasn't present.
Tealy

Post by Tealy »

Alianora - Is it the colour contrast in quotes that makes it difficult for you to read?

If it is I'll have a go at a solution for you when I have the chance, no promises mind :P

EDIT: Using Greasemonkey (which is Firefox only) I have managed to turn quote boxes white. However I have run out of time right now and multiple quotes still appear with a Brown background.
Alianora La Canta

Post by Alianora La Canta »

Tealy - previous post wrote:Alianora - Is it the colour contrast in quotes that makes it difficult for you to read?

If it is I'll have a go at a solution for you when I have the chance, no promises mind :P

It was, but with the ctrl+A solution, I can get round it now. If nobody else is complaining, it makes sense to leave the forum colours as they are ("reasonable adjustment" is not the same as "one person's complained, now everyone must change absolutely everything"). Greasemonkey is worth the investigation effort for me though in case I encounter any more variations on this problem. Thank you for helping.
Waris

Post by Waris »

Today, I saw a program on TV about someone who also raced go-karts despite a visual impairment. :)
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

Waris wrote:Today, I saw a program on TV about someone who also raced go-karts despite a visual impairment. :)

Jacques Villeneuve and Sebastien Bourdais both wore glasses (like me...), or were you meaning a visual impairment more like Alianora's?
watka wrote:I find it amusing that whilst you're one of the more openly Christian guys here, you are still first and foremost associated with an eye for the ladies!
dinizintheoven wrote:GOOD CHRISTIANS do not go to jail. EVERYONE ON FORMULA ONE REJECTS should be in jail.
MCard LOLA
Waris

Post by Waris »

dr-baker wrote:
Waris wrote:Today, I saw a program on TV about someone who also raced go-karts despite a visual impairment. :)

Jacques Villeneuve and Sebastien Bourdais both wore glasses (like me...), or were you meaning a visual impairment more like Alianora's?

Yes, I meant the latter. Now I don't know exactly what Alianora has, but this fellow had some impairment that meant he could only see clearly in a small circular field of vision right in front of him, i.e. everything outside this small circle was hazy. It was pretty sad to watch, but I thought it was epic that he could still drive karts.
Alianora La Canta

dr-baker - 2 posts ago wrote:

I think I may have to clarify something here because I think I've inadvertently confused you. While I am rather short-sighted and have glasses for that, the main reason why things like the quote system cause my visual system difficulties is because I'm on the autism spectrum (specifically Asperger's Syndrome). Among other things, this alters the way my brain processes sensory input, and not always in a consistent fashion. In my case, it's particularly noticeable with my hearing (hypersensitivity, especially to bass non-vocal sounds, and certain more complex effects on top of that), but nobody notices on the internet unless I tell them because it's pretty much a visual medium.

The visual processing mangling is a bit more complicated to explain, but highlights include frequently not seeing stuff that's right in front of me if I'm looking for it unless I know from a verbal explanation/prompt or having seen the object at the correct angle previously (many a shoe hunt has started thus), sometimes seeing stuff a different colour to what it actually is (not differently or consistently enough to show up on a colour-blindness test, but enough to cause a few in-family jokes) and finding a light blue background better than white for seeing writing (my computer is set up accordingly). Luckily writing on its own is straightforward unless it's been deliberately manipulated to be difficult to read (e.g. CAPTCHAs), which means most written resources most of the time are easy to access.

Good to see other people are also doing grass-roots motor sport with disabilities :) . Anecdontally, I went to a track a couple of weeks ago where one of the regular clients is also somewhere on the autism spectrum and they'd developed a procedure for doing track time modified to make it easy for her to understand when it was time to come in (short version: the boss calculated how much fuel was needed to cover the amount of time paid for and when the tank ran out, the session would be over with the correct amount of time elapsed). I don't think she races due to having difficulties understanding what the flags mean, but it was still an avenue for her to get involved in motorsport.
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

Thanks for posting that, Alianora. While I know some things about autism, I did not realise that it affected how you visually perceive the world. I am going on an Autistic Spectrum Disorder awareness day in a couple of weeks' time (work-related - I am a community carer, looking after kids with physical and/or mental health needs). When I go, I will bear much of this in mind. Once again, thanks. :)
watka wrote:I find it amusing that whilst you're one of the more openly Christian guys here, you are still first and foremost associated with an eye for the ladies!
dinizintheoven wrote:GOOD CHRISTIANS do not go to jail. EVERYONE ON FORMULA ONE REJECTS should be in jail.
MCard LOLA
Alianora La Canta

dr-baker wrote:Thanks for posting that, Alianora. While I know some things about autism, I did not realise that it affected how you visually perceive the world. I am going on an Autistic Spectrum Disorder awareness day in a couple of weeks' time (work-related - I am a community carer, looking after kids with physical and/or mental health needs). When I go, I will bear much of this in mind. Once again, thanks. :)

You're very welcome.
Waris

Post by Waris »

You are now more interesting, Alianora. But, excuse me if this may be a dumb question, do all people on the autism spectrum wear glasses/have sight problems?
DemocalypseNow

Post by DemocalypseNow »

Waris wrote:You are now more interesting, Alianora. But, excuse me if this may be a dumb question, do all people on the autism spectrum wear glasses/have sight problems?

Nope!
Novitopoli wrote:Everytime someone orders at Pizza Hut, an Italian dies.
Novitopoli wrote:Juve's Triplete: Calciopoli, doping & Mafia connections.

Image Image
Phoenix

Post by Phoenix »

kostas22 wrote:
Waris wrote:You are now more interesting, Alianora. But, excuse me if this may be a dumb question, do all people on the autism spectrum wear glasses/have sight problems?

Nope!

Are you a psichologist?
Well, I've searched for it, for curiosity, and it doesn't mention nothing about visual problems.
Alianora La Canta

Waris, that is a perfectly sensible question - it's not like people on the autism spectrum have large arrows pointing over their heads. People on the autism spectrum do not necessarily have visual problems, but it's possible for them to have problems with any combination of their senses (in theory, it's possible to be on the spectrum and have no sensory difficulties whatsoever, but I've yet to meet or even read of someone without difficulties to at least one sense). Some of the ones I know wear glasses and others don't (I've yet to see any who definitely wear contact lenses, but the number of people I know does not constitute a representative sample).

The National Autism Society's definition notes sensory difficulties in general as one of the related elements of being on the autism spectrum (I've linked to the Asperger's Syndrome definition because that's the specific diagnosis I have, but the autism section also mentions sensory difficulties) and has a section about how sensory difficulties affect people on the autism spectrum.
Alianora La Canta

Phoenix wrote:
kostas22 wrote:

Nope!

Are you a psichologist?
Well, I've searched for it, for curiosity, and it doesn't mention nothing about visual problems.

I am not a psychologist - I'm a qualified librarian with admin qualifications, which is not what one would normally consider a related field. However, I've read quite a lot of books about the autism spectrum and several more general psychology books because I'm something of a bookworm and it's good to learn more about how you think (those of you who have read self-help books of any description will know what I mean). I've also known some people who are professionals in the field of autism (presumably they lop "spectrum" off to spare everyone's tongues) who have explained various aspects of autism to me, including ways in which I don't fit some of the stereotypes that exist (once I even ended up at an autism spectrum education conference). Plus I've met quite a few other people on the spectrum in different contexts (but then so have most people; the difference is that most people don't consider the autism spectrum itself to be as interesting a topic of discussion as whatever subject caused them to meet in the first place.
Phoenix

Post by Phoenix »

Alianora La Canta wrote:
Phoenix wrote:Are you a psichologist?

I am not a psychologist - I'm a qualified librarian with admin qualifications, which is not what one would normally consider a related field. However, I've read quite a lot of books about the autism spectrum and several more general psychology books because I'm something of a bookworm and it's good to learn more about how you think (those of you who have read self-help books of any description will know what I mean). I've also known some people who are professionals in the field of autism (presumably they lop "spectrum" off to spare everyone's tongues) who have explained various aspects of autism to me, including ways in which I don't fit some of the stereotypes that exist (once I even ended up at an autism spectrum education conference). Plus I've met quite a few other people on the spectrum in different contexts (but then so have most people; the difference is that most people don't consider the autism spectrum itself to be as interesting a topic of discussion as whatever subject caused them to meet in the first place.

Oh, he, he, I wasn't calling you a psychologist. I was just dumb-joking with kostas22. It's good to be interested about things-I've looked about Asperger syndrome myself just for curiosity. I suppose you thought I was saying that to you because one of the symptoms is to take everything literally, right? ;)
Alianora La Canta

Phoenix - previous post wrote:
Alianora La Canta wrote:
Phoenix wrote:Are you a psichologist?

Oh, he, he, I wasn't calling you a psychologist. I was just dumb-joking with kostas22. It's good to be interested about things-I've looked about Asperger syndrome myself just for curiosity. I suppose you thought I was saying that to you because one of the symptoms is to take everything literally, right? ;)

In a manner of speaking - I thought you was asking both of us, and obviously I can't speak for kostas22...
Phoenix

Post by Phoenix »

Alianora La Canta wrote:In a manner of speaking - I thought you was asking both of us, and obviously I can't speak for kostas22...

It's fine. He'll answer us when he has time :lol:
cretoxyrhina

Post by cretoxyrhina »

I have asperger syndrome myself, and in my case, it's particularly noticeable with my speaking. Oh, and yes, I'm very short-sighted.
(On topic, I used to karted in the past and by rejectdom context, I escaped by a bare minimum - finishing 6th three times)

Sorry, I'm newly-registered :oops:
thehemogoblin

Post by thehemogoblin »

cretoxyrhina wrote:I have asperger syndrome myself, and in my case, it's particularly noticeable with my speaking. Oh, and yes, I'm very short-sighted.
(On topic, I used to karted in the past and by rejectdom context, I escaped by a bare minimum - finishing 6th three times)

Hey, don't worry about it. We're good with all kinds here (except oddly sexual British Columbians, who ban themselves from the forum before we can even get around to it).
CarlosFerreira

Post by CarlosFerreira »

cretoxyrhina wrote:I have asperger syndrome myself, and in my case, it's particularly noticeable with my speaking. Oh, and yes, I'm very short-sighted.

Welcome aboard!
Stay home, Colin Kolles!
cretoxyrhina

Post by cretoxyrhina »

Thanks! :)
Alianora La Canta

cretoxyrhina - last post of page 2 wrote:(On topic, I used to karted in the past and by rejectdom context, I escaped by a bare minimum - finishing 6th three times)

Well done! You're better at karting than me :) Oh, and welcome to F1 Rejects. Hope you enjoy contributing to our community.
Waris

Post by Waris »

Alianora, I read the article about sensory difficulties, and I find it very interesting, not in the least because there were a couple of things I recognized in myself, especially these:
"proximity - standing too close to others/not understanding personal body space
navigating rooms - avoiding obstructions
bumping into people."
"difficulties with fine motor skills, manipulating small objects (buttons, tying shoe laces)"
"holds others tightly
has high pain threshold - temperature/pain
self-harming
enjoys heavy objects on top of them"
"likes very spicy foods" (lol)
My sense of smell is also pretty bad, but that might have something to do with having a near-permanent cold. Maybe I'm on the autistic spectrum after all... My eyesight and hearing have always been great, though (for which I'm very thankful). :3
By the way, there seem to be lots of "you" (that sounds so condescending, doesn't it?) on the internet.

Anyway, this isn't supposed to be a thread about the sensory system of people on the autistic spectrum, but about members of this forum's exploits in karting and/or other types of racing. I have karted several times, sadly I've never been able to remember how I performed!! Other people told me I was good, though. :3