2016 Monaco GP - Reject of the Race

The place for speaking your mind on current goings-on in F1
DemocalypseNow

2016 Monaco GP - Reject of the Race

Post by DemocalypseNow »

You know the deal. You get two picks, first receives 10pts for biggest screw-up of the day, and 6pts to the second biggest screw-up.

Polling closes Tue 31st May @ 1800 BST.

Biscione's Picks;
1st Sauber
2nd Renault
Novitopoli wrote:Everytime someone orders at Pizza Hut, an Italian dies.
Novitopoli wrote:Juve's Triplete: Calciopoli, doping & Mafia connections.

Image Image
Aguaman

Re: 2016 Monaco GP - Reject of the Race

Post by Aguaman »

10. Sauber - Just lol
6. Red Bull - Kvyat's silly move, Max hitting the barriers twice and the mess up that happened to Ricciardo that cost him the win.

HM - Raikkonen, Wehlrein & Palmer.
Bobby Doorknobs

Post by Bobby Doorknobs »

1. Sauber - Great job, lads.
2. That plastic covering thing that fell on the main straight. Shades of the 2000 Brazilian Grand Prix right there.
#FreeGonzo
Cynon

Post by Cynon »

Sauber -- Don't collide with your teammate. Doesn't matter who's fault it was, both of them were driving like complete morons all race long.

Jolyon Palmer -- Rain + Paint = All Your Noob are Belong to Us
Check out the TM Master Cup Series on Youtube...
...or check out my random retro IndyCar clips.

Dr. Helmut Marko wrote: Finally we have an Australian in the team who can start a race well and challenge Vettel.
GerhardTalger

Post by GerhardTalger »

1. Sauber - Lel
2. Verstappen - Laughable

Kvyat was a complete idiot, Rosberg was very poor all around. Rejectful weekend.
Londoner

Post by Londoner »

1. Sauber - That's an open and shut ROTR. Good driving lads, you'll go far in this sport.

2. Reno - SIX times this weekend their cars found the barriers. Fairly certain they retired K-Mags as they'd run out of spare front wings.

Honourable mentions:

Max Verstappen for deciding the best way to emulate his Spain victory would be to closely copy Pastor Maldonado's performance from four years earlier, although at least he didn't use his car as a weapon...

Daniil Kvyat - If it wasn't for the fact that Gasly is having a howler in GP2, he'd be receiving his P45 for sure.
Last edited by Londoner on 29 May 2016, 14:13, edited 1 time in total.
Fetzie on Ferrari wrote:How does a driver hurtling around a race track while they're sous-viding in their overalls have a better understanding of the race than a team of strategy engineers in an air-conditioned room?l
AxelP800

Post by AxelP800 »

1. Red Bull - I feel so much for Ricciardo.

2. Nasr - Tep kek, another same rule in racing broken in 2 succesive races.
Rio Haryanto for the win!
He upon seeing me accidentaly paint Belgian flag rotated 90 deg to right
tommykl returns from the bathroom
tommykl reads the chat logs
tommykl has a stroke
Fetzie

Post by Fetzie »

1. Sauber, for obvious reasons.

2. Ricciardo's pit crew, who lost him a win.
Meatwad

Post by Meatwad »

1. Max Verstappen: From hero to zero.
2. Kimi Räikkönen: After a brilliant start to the season, he made a stupid mistake. Drove like a rookie rather than a world champion.

Dishonorable mentions: drain cover, Nico Rosberg, plastic bag
UncreativeUsername37

Post by UncreativeUsername37 »

1. Sauber
2. Verstappen

DHM: Red Bull, Palmer
Rob Dylan wrote:Mercedes paying homage to the other W12 chassis by breaking down 30 minutes in
Henrique

Post by Henrique »

1. Sauber: As one of Sky's commentators said, "a sackable offense, but you can't sack them because they're both paying for their drives".

2. Red Bull: That was too unprofessional, especially since Ricciardo said he was called by the team to pit and not his decision.
andrew

Post by andrew »

Sauber. You don't do that
Red bull pit crew.
good_Ralf

Post by good_Ralf »

1) Max Verstappen - Repeats Alonso in 2003 and Maldonado in 2012.
2) (EDIT) The Red Bull pit crew - Made a really painful mistake

H. Mention to Sauber and Renault.
Last edited by good_Ralf on 30 May 2016, 14:45, edited 1 time in total.
Check out the position of the sun on 2 August at 20:08 in my garden

Allard Kalff in 1994 wrote:OH!! Schumacher in the wall! Right in front of us, Michael Schumacher is in the wall! He's hit the pitwall, he c... Ah, it's Jos Verstappen.
SuzukiSwift

Post by SuzukiSwift »

1. I guess Sauber for sheer idiocy, but an awful weekend all around for Williams, Renault, RedBull (although I don't care about them), and Rosberg.

2. Renault.
dinizintheoven

Post by dinizintheoven »

Hmmm. So, ROTR looks a bit more competitive than IIDOTR this time...

Ten points for Red Bull's pit crew, or whoever was ultimately responsible for sticking a torpedo through Daniel Ricciardo's victory chances for the second race in succession, and for finally showing us what he looks like without a gigantic smile with more teeth than the entire Osmond family.

And six points go to Nico Rosberg - all that trumpeting before the race about how only four drivers in the whole of F1 history have won more times at Monaco than him, and he puts in a performance not so different from the Sri Lankan batsmen...

Dishonourable mentions to Max Verstappen for coming down to earth with three bumps, and the comedy of errors at Sauber, most of which goes in Felipe Nasr's direction. Williams weren't exactly stellar either.

We await the full results...
James Allen, on his favourite F1 engine of all time:
"...the Life W12, I can't describe the noise to you, but imagine filling your dustbin with nuts and bolts, and then throwing it down the stairs, it was something akin to that!"
mario

Post by mario »

1. Ericsson and Nasr - As Brundle put it, that was just sheer stupidity on their part. Terrible pace, truly idiotic driving and now nothing to show for it but a large repair bill that the team could ill afford and is probably going to just hasten the end of the team - they have surely got this award locked out by a country mile.

2. Verstappen - When I found out about his crash in qualifying, I just had a feeling that he would inevitably overdrive the car again and end up in a barrier, as he did. It feels as if he was somewhat flummoxed at how strong Ricciardo was this weekend and spent the rest of the weekend trying to overcompensate to catch up, with inevitable results.

HM: Kimi Raikkonen - whilst his accident was understandable in those conditions, driving through the tunnel with his front wing hanging off and at risk of being left in an extremely difficult to recover position seems to have earned him the ire of the stewards - he's been ordered to visit them after the race for violating the drivers code, which I'm not surprised about.

Red Bull's pit wall - it seems that, having called Ricciardo in, somebody suddenly had second thoughts about the tyres and changed the tyre choice whilst he came into the pits. Given that it was clearly taking several laps for Hamilton to get his tyres up to temperature and he was struggling on his out lap, Mercedes were offering that up to Red Bull on a plate - only for Red Bull to comprehensively cock it up.

[Edit] Thinking about it, Wehrlein deserves a bit of a mention here as well - he got in trouble with the stewards several times for his driving (ignoring blue flags and for not keeping to the virtual safety car target time), earning at least one time penalty for his misdemeanours. For his standards, that was a somewhat scruffy race and the time penalty might mean that he ends up being classified behind Haryanto to boot.
Martin Brundle, on watching a replay of Grosjean spinning:
"The problem with Grosjean is that he want to take a look back at the corner he's just exited"
tBone

Post by tBone »

Difficult to choose between Sauber for their awful teamwork and Max Verstappen for binning it 3 times in one weekend. Before I decide, I should mention the trackside objects as well. The shenanigans with the drain cover and that plastic bag do not belong in F1, but luckily didn't have too much impact on the outcome of the race.

I'll give Sauber 10 points for more comedic value. Max Verstappen gets 6.
YOUR
LOGO

Here
SeedStriker

Post by SeedStriker »

1)Sauber

2)Joylon Palmer
DJJIMMYJ1976AU

Post by DJJIMMYJ1976AU »

My ROTR votes.

10 pts - Red Bull - here's a hint for you knuckleheads - when you call your driver in to box from the lead - make sure that you have the f***ing tyres ready to go on the f***ing car. Morons. You didn't just present it to Mercedes - you f***ing gift wrapped it for them.

6 pts - Sauber. Thank rhe knuckleheads at Red Bull for being even more incompetent than you drongos. Seriously taking each other out when you're at the back of the field....

Honourable mentions - Kimi, Wherlein and Renault.

On a slightly different matter - is Hamilton a protected species? Anyone else would have been pinged for going off track at the chicane and then tried to take Ricciado out when trying to pass.
Dan B

Post by Dan B »

This one is a bit hard since there were quite a few nominations.

1: Sauber: Complete and utter morons, the both of them. First rule of racing: NEVER HIT YOUR TEAMMATE. Besides, wasn't this the second time they collided into each other? I'm trying to think back this year they nearly did, plus they had that collision at the USGP last year. Plus with the repairs that Mario mentioned, I don't see the team in its current form surviving past 2016.

2: Red Bull: Really only Sainz had a decent race. Kvyat kept having car issues before collecting another car (Magnussen I think it was), Verstappen manages to bin the car again, and Ricciardo is ultimately screwed (his own words) by the pit mechanics. Yes, Hamilton was naughty, but on the other hand, if Red Bull didn't blow that pitstop, they would've not been in that position to begin with.

Honorable Mentions:
Kevin Magnussen: How many times has he hit the wall?
Jolyon Palmer: Absolutely disgraceful.
Kimi Raikkonen: Put a dent in Grosjean's race as well as driving like an utter idiot.
Nico Rosberg: Was absolutely nowhere in the race.
lance_rambert

Post by lance_rambert »

These decisions are partially fueled by personal salt and bitterness, so...

First, I have to consider the woeful performances of Nico Rosberg and Max Verstappen. There is the idea of Nico's car possibly being bathplugged after the "brake problems" radio snip. However, he also was just plain slow, enough to the point where he was told by Merc to shove off and let Lewis through to win the race. Getting nicked by the other Nico on the last lap straightaway was pretty embarassing. For Max, well... he binned it three times in one weekend. Enough said. If Nico's car was indeed bathplugged to the point of him having to reduce his pace, maybe we should give him a brake.

Then there's the comedic gold from the two Sauber dipsticks, Felipe Nasr and Marcus Ericsson. They broke the golden "DON'T HIT YOUR TEAMMATE" rule. This results in Nasr spinning and Ericsson having a badly battered motor car. Then there's the double retirement. I'd be up for giving both of these guys a big pay cut, but they both paid for their seats...

There's also Kimi Raikkonen and Jolyon Palmer for just plain screwing up. Palmer showed some shades of Kevin Coogan (no, I didn't mispell that ;) ) right there. Luckily he didn't take anyone else out. As for Kimi, maybe he's getting too old for this shite?

In light of all that, I have to give my first pick to Red Bull-TAG Heuer['s Pit Crew]. That pit stop was absolutely loathful. As I stated in the race thread, this is the kind of bulls___ that screwed Jeff Gordon over so much in 2015, and now with Chase Elliott. We're at race 6, and this is what Red Bull have to show for it? First they already got compromised by pitting for inters, even though Dan did get catch up to Lewis. Then the stop for slicks happened. I wanted to drop an atomic f-bomb as soon as I saw Lewis get through Sainte Devote, because at that moment, I knew Red Bull lost the race for poor old Dan. Try as Dan might, Monaco's tight twisty streets were not wide enough for him to take 1st place back. I can't help but feel for the guy after hearing how pissed off he was on the radio.

As for second, I'm giving it to Sauber. Nasr and Ericsson's dipstickery would normally be an open and shut ROTR, but I can't get over how Red Bull threw out a race win like that. I really wanted Dan to win today, and that didn't happen. Now I'm probably going to see Chase Elliott get screwed over for Kyle Busch (or any Joe Gibbs car) to win again later today. Ugh.
Last edited by lance_rambert on 29 May 2016, 16:14, edited 2 times in total.
WeirdKerr
Location: on the edge of nowhere with a ludicrous grid penalty.....

Post by WeirdKerr »

1. Those colliding at Rascasse the 2 Sauber Drivers and K-Mag and I forget which torro rosso.... lol

2. The tarpaulin mysteriously appeared at st Devote

HM Rosberg
oh and Kimi....
hmmm too much rejectness but then the weather always has that effect
The Chicane

Post by The Chicane »

1. Sauber - Why do they even bother anymore... with such tools that call themselves "drivers"?
2. Red Bull - Royally messed the whole race up for Daniel Ricciardo with that horrible pit stop.

HM Jolyon Palmer - *facepalm* :facepalm:
RENAULT CLASSIC (1977 - 2017)
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
11 : Drivers' titles
12 : Constructors' titles
burwellian

Post by burwellian »

10: Sauber. Just Sauber... Well done lads >.<
6: Raikkonen ignoring the marshalls and dragging his broken front wing under his front left wheel through the tunnel. So so dangerous...
James1978

Post by James1978 »

I honestly can't decide between Sauber and Red Bull. Sauber was more the comedy value as traditionally RotRs were in the old days, but Red Bull's had the more significant impact.

Also many dishonourable mentions:

Rosberg, Raikkonen, Palmer, Verstappen, Kvyat, Wehrlein, plastic bags.....
"Poor old Warwick takes it from behind all throughout this season". :) (Tony Jardine, 1988)
novitopoli
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by novitopoli »

We could fill at least half a season's worth of ROTRs with today's mishaps. But two stand out:

1. Red Bull's pit crew for effectively handing the victory to Hamilton with an amateurish pitstop, as well as Red Bull's pit wall for calling Ricciardo too late to the pits as well as choosing what turned out to be the wrong set of tyres.

2. Sauber, who just doesn't get ten points as they were effectively fighting for Pnowhere, namely:
- Felipe Nasr for steadily making its way to the "You Lucky Bastard" section of the old site.
- Marcus Ericsson for blatantly sticking to that famous "gap that exists, etcetera" crap.
- The team for proving itself yet again uncapable of managing situations involving more than one driver - as a certain Dutchman would confirm...

Honorable Mentions:
Jolyon Palmer - His pretty short contribution to this race perfectly shows the direction his F1 career is taking.

Max Verstappen - A pretty bad weekend spent showing his affection to walls and guardrails. Not as rejectful as the three afore mentioned things, though, despite all the Max-bashing around here.

Kevin Magnussen - He should be the fast and reliable team leader, not the guy who's spent the whole day spinning around before being called back into the pits out of pity.

Ferrari - Remember when they were serious championship contenders? Neither do I. I've somehow got the feeling they're already starting to write off this season and focus on 2017. HM for their drivers too - Vettel for complaining the whole weekend, Raikkonen for spreading carbon fibre around the circuit.

Williams-Mercedes - Remember when they were serious contenders for race wins? Neither do I. Completely outpaced by McLaren-Honda aswell.

Pascal Wehrlein - Still hasn't got along with the idea that he's now the one who has to slow down to let other cars through, and not the other way around.

Drivers swearing on team radio - It may be funny once or twice. But having to listen to bleeped-out swearing during the whole race gets annoying quite soon.

Justin Bieber - JustNO.
sw3ishida wrote:Jolyon Palmer brought us closer as a couple, for which I am grateful.

Ataxia wrote:
Londoner wrote:Something I've thought about - what happens to our canon should we have a worldwide recession or some other outside event?

We'll be fine. It's Canon, non Kodak.
RAK

Post by RAK »

1) Sauber: Coming together, both cars retiring. A pretty dismal effort.

2) Renault: Both cars off through driver error.

Honourable Mentions: Red Bull pit team - gave away a very possible race victory for Ricciardo; Max Verstappen - from hero to zero.
Predicament Predictions Champion, 2011, 2018, 2019

They weren't the world's most competent team,
In fact, to be believed, their results must be seen,
Lola,
M-Mastercard Lola,
L, O, L, A, Lola!
AndreaModa

Post by AndreaModa »

1) Sauber

2: Renault
I want my MTV...Simtek Ford

My Motorsport Photos

@DNPQ_
Spectoremg

Post by Spectoremg »

1. An easy choice, Red Bull tyre changes. Screwing up a planned event is disgraceful.
2. Sauber drivers. You really need to be behaving more sensibly when your team's going under.
HM's:
Max: Monaco's a big boys race.
Nico R: You can't drive in the wet can you.
FullMetalJack
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by FullMetalJack »

1. Red Bull - Pitcrew cost Ricciardo victory
2. Sauber - Sums up their season
I like the way Snrub thinks!
Ataxia
Not Important

Post by Ataxia »

1. The Monaco circuit itself. An antiquated mess of a layout that provides rubbish racing with nowhere to pass, and nowhere for trashed cars to go, ending up with more disruptions than your average Superbowl match. Racing at Monaco in 2016 is the equivalent of sticking a flat-screen TV on each of the pillars of Stonehenge. If it didn't look pretty, it would be nowhere near the calendar.

2. Sauber. Amateur hour in Hinwil. Hope Marcus and Felipe are paying for the new bits, because the team sure as sh*t can't afford to.
Mitch Hedberg wrote:I want to be a race car passenger: just a guy who bugs the driver. Say man, can I turn on the radio? You should slow down. Why do we gotta keep going in circles? Man, you really like Tide...
Dj_bereta

Post by Dj_bereta »

1 - Nico Rosberg: Okay, you are the championship leader and your team mate is your biggest threat. You are holding him and the team wants you to let him pass because he has better chances of winning. What Nico did? Simply obeyed the team orders. :facepalm: Lewis won the race, reduced the gap and is back to the championship fight. Nico, please, stop being a bathplugging Mr.Nice guy to everyone!

2 - Sauber as whole: What a mess. Not only the team are struggling with money, but now are struggling in keep his drivers cool.
Waiting for Lotus hiring Johnny Cecotto jr.
Ataxia
Not Important

Post by Ataxia »

Dj_bereta wrote:1 - Nico Rosberg: Okay, you are the championship leader and your team mate is your biggest threat. You are holding him and the team wants you to let him pass because he has better chances of winning. What Nico did? Simply obeyed the team orders. :facepalm: Lewis won the race, reduced the gap and is back to the championship fight. Nico, please, stop being a bathplugging Mr.Nice guy to everyone!

Yeah, because he's going to disobey team orders when his contract's up for renewal.
Mitch Hedberg wrote:I want to be a race car passenger: just a guy who bugs the driver. Say man, can I turn on the radio? You should slow down. Why do we gotta keep going in circles? Man, you really like Tide...
Collieafc

Post by Collieafc »

This is a tough one as theres several claims that would normally be an easy ROTR in another race:

1st. Sauber/Nasr. I ummed hard with this and 2nd place but a team mate collision is a classic ROTR. Reason I am nominating this for the top is that although Ericsson made the move, Nasr was told a while back via team radio to let him past but ignored it. If Nasr listened this wouldnt of happened.

2nd. Red Bull. Once again the incompetence of his team costs Riccardo a win. The conspiracy theorists will be having a field day with this.

HM for the Safety car ar the start. It did not need to be out for as long as that, even the drivers were on the radio stating it wasnt that bad. Almost defeats the point of the full wets.
DanielPT wrote:Life usually expires after 400 meters and always before reaching 2 laps or so. In essence, Life is short.
Peteroli34

Post by Peteroli34 »

1. Red Bull Tyre Change - Not having tyres ready cost them surely they would have won had that not happened.

2. Palmer - Woeful all weekend then crashes as soon as the green flags come out.

HM
Sauber - Well done lads take each other out of 15th place, really going to help your teams finances
Dj_bereta

Post by Dj_bereta »

Ataxia wrote:
Dj_bereta wrote:1 - Nico Rosberg: Okay, you are the championship leader and your team mate is your biggest threat. You are holding him and the team wants you to let him pass because he has better chances of winning. What Nico did? Simply obeyed the team orders. :facepalm: Lewis won the race, reduced the gap and is back to the championship fight. Nico, please, stop being a bathplugging Mr.Nice guy to everyone!

Yeah, because he's going to disobey team orders when his contract's up for renewal.

Do you really think Mercedes will drop Rosberg just because disobeying a team order like the one in this race? It's just the fifth race in the season for team orders and everyone knows Monaco is an unusual track . Mercedes still the best car around and Rosberg is the leader. It's really strange for me this kind of move from the team.
Waiting for Lotus hiring Johnny Cecotto jr.
Bobby Doorknobs

Post by Bobby Doorknobs »

Dj_bereta wrote:
Ataxia wrote:

Do you really think Mercedes will drop Rosberg just because disobeying a team order like the one in this race? It's just the fifth race in the season for team orders and everyone knows Monaco is an unusual track . Mercedes still the best car around and Rosberg is the leader. It's really strange for me this kind of move from the team.

Well, they do have a half-Mauritian down at Manor who I'm sure they'd love to try out soon...
#FreeGonzo
lance_rambert

Post by lance_rambert »

Simtek wrote:Well, they do have a half-Mauritian down at Manor who I'm sure they'd love to try out soon...

Judging by how crap Rosberg was today, maybe Mercedes will force him and Wehrlein to swap seats. Just think what will happen if Rio beats Rosberg first time out in Canada!

Busted brakes (and probably ERS) is no excuse for finishing 7th after your teammate wins the race.

No, I'm not actually serious, please don't kill me.
AustralianStig

Post by AustralianStig »

1. Red Bull - Obviously.
2. Everyone who crashed at Rascasse - Give them a point each, or something.
Last edited by AustralianStig on 30 May 2016, 03:05, edited 1 time in total.
Join the GP Rejects league at Fantasy F1: https://fantasy.formula1.com/join/?=2a1f25

CoopsII wrote:
Biscione wrote:To the surprise of no-one, Daniil Kvyat wins ROTR for Sochi, by a record margin that may not be surpassed for some time.

I always knew Marko read this forum.
FullMetalJack
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by FullMetalJack »

I think it shows just how much of a bathplug this race was with Renault/Palmer not amassing a great deal of votes.
I like the way Snrub thinks!