2016 Hungarian Grand Prix

The place for speaking your mind on current goings-on in F1
Alextrax52

Re: 2016 Hungarian Grand Prix

Post by Alextrax52 »

I'm done with F1 I'm afraid. The radio rules are pathetic, the people who run the sport are so out of touch with modern times and there's no competition for Mercedes (although that's hardly their fault)

Throw in the brain dead Hamilton fans and there's one big mess.

Yes this should be in the Rant box but the race (procession) is still on
Bobby Doorknobs

Post by Bobby Doorknobs »

Freeze-O-Kimi wrote:...but the race (procession) is still on...

Two Mercedes separated by about a second, waiting for the obligatory cock up (Hamilton had a big moment) and Raikkonen and Verstappen scrapping it out while the Iceman damages his front wing is processional? Crikey, I'd hate to find out what's considered exciting...
#FreeGonzo
WaffleCat

Post by WaffleCat »

Verstappen versus Raikkonen at the end was some exciting stuff, no lie. Apart from that, that was actually a great drive and win from Hamilton. I'm normally against Lewisteria, but when you put in a solid drive like that, I can't really complain.
My friend's USB drive spoiled, spilled tea on her laptop and had a bird poo in her hand.

What did she do in her past life to deserve this?

Signup for the Random Racing League, Season TWO!!!
Klon
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Klon »

Klon wrote:
dr-baker wrote:Looks like the title is now Rosberg's to lose.

Yes, with 18 races to go, the title is already someone's to lose. This may sound surprising, but we are living in the 21st century. You have the right to use your brain. :facepalm:

Hate to say I told you so. Hold on, I don't hate that at all. I love it more than I've ever loved any human being. :dance:
Aguaman

Post by Aguaman »

Race draggedRe on. Switched over to watch some Powerpuff Girls. Do not regret a thing. Twas a funny episode where Blossom was wrong.
mario

Post by mario »

Fetzie wrote:
mario wrote:data from a GPS tracking app that suggests Rosberg did reduce his cornering speed between 5-14kph through Turn 8. I have to say that I am a little uncomfortable about the whole situation though - the fact that it was a fairly small lift, and the fact that no further action was taken, makes it feel as if the FIA is implicitly condoning such behaviour.

Aren't double-yellows "prepare to have to avoid cars and people on track, and if necessary halt"? How is that compatible with a speed reduction of a mere 10 kph?

That is correct - the drivers are supposed to slow down to a speed where they can stop before encountering a potential obstacle around the following corner, such as a marshal or a stranded car, without hitting them.

Yes, technically Rosberg did slow down slightly and therefore satisfied the letter of the rule, but I don't feel that he was prepared to stop on track if necessary (whereas all of the drivers ahead of him on track had slowed to what I feel was a more appropriate speed), and I feel that shows a bit of a reckless disregard towards the safety of others. As I've said before, I fear that this might end up badly if a lack of action by the FIA means that the drivers start taking more liberties with the flag regulations.

East Londoner wrote:Button gets a DTP because of these utterly retarded radio rules. Good going FIA, well played. :facepalm:

I can only assume that the penalty was for being warned not to change gear due to a loss of hydraulic fluid pressure, and they would probably argue that the fact that Button was able to continue was evidence that the issue was not terminal.
I have to agree, though, that the radio restrictions are utterly idiotic - though the situation is not helped by the incompetence of the stewards who, this weekend, were about as much use a condom machine in the Vatican (to quote from Red Dwarf).
Martin Brundle, on watching a replay of Grosjean spinning:
"The problem with Grosjean is that he want to take a look back at the corner he's just exited"
Dj_bereta

Post by Dj_bereta »

Well, despite Palmer doing a amateurish spin and deserved a ROTR nomination, lets give some credit to him: He finished ahead of Magnussen.
Last edited by Dj_bereta on 24 Jul 2016, 16:41, edited 1 time in total.
Waiting for Lotus hiring Johnny Cecotto jr.
Barbazza

Post by Barbazza »

Freeze-O-Kimi wrote:I'm done with F1 I'm afraid. The radio rules are pathetic, the people who run the sport are so out of touch with modern times and there's no competition for Mercedes (although that's hardly their fault)

Throw in the brain dead Hamilton fans and there's one big mess.

Yes this should be in the Rant box but the race (procession) is still on

This is exactly how I felt 2 weeks ago. Today - well, yeah, still mildly annoyed but actually past caring. Plus most of the race was so dull it was hard to make an effort to care!
Londoner

Post by Londoner »

Handbags at the ready. :pantano:
Fetzie on Ferrari wrote:How does a driver hurtling around a race track while they're sous-viding in their overalls have a better understanding of the race than a team of strategy engineers in an air-conditioned room?l
Spectoremg

Post by Spectoremg »

My two penneth worth:
Anyone who found that procession remotely interesting needs to get out more.
Bobby Doorknobs

Spectoremg wrote:My two penneth worth:

Or if you want to go there, anyone who didn't needs to get an imagination and an attention span of greater than three seconds...
#FreeGonzo
mario

Post by mario »

East Londoner wrote:

What's even more entertaining is Gutierrez's claim for why Hamilton should have given him more respect for his driving on track:
"You never know, maybe in the future I will be fighting [for] the championship with him so he has to respect that."

http://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/gutie ... re-802019/

Shall I just say that I think that Gutierrez is more than a little optimistic about his chances - some might have delusions of grandeur, but Gutierrez seems to have delusions of adequacy.
"The problem with Grosjean is that he want to take a look back at the corner he's just exited"
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

Klon wrote:
Klon wrote:
dr-baker wrote:Looks like the title is now Rosberg's to lose.

Yes, with 18 races to go, the title is already someone's to lose. This may sound surprising, but we are living in the 21st century. You have the right to use your brain. :facepalm:

Hate to say I told you so. Hold on, I don't hate that at all. I love it more than I've ever loved any human being. :dance:

Why am I not at all surprised at this comment? :facepalm:
watka wrote:I find it amusing that whilst you're one of the more openly Christian guys here, you are still first and foremost associated with an eye for the ladies!
dinizintheoven wrote:GOOD CHRISTIANS do not go to jail. EVERYONE ON FORMULA ONE REJECTS should be in jail.
MCard LOLA
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

I missed the first 30 laps due to church and lunch, etc. (plus the Sky box playing silly buggers), and I don't really feel like I missed anything. In previous years, I would have been frustrated, and want to go back to watch the rerun or highlights on TV, but I don't feel like I missed anything significant enough this time to warrant it. Am I falling out of love for this series as so many others on here seem to be as well?
watka wrote:I find it amusing that whilst you're one of the more openly Christian guys here, you are still first and foremost associated with an eye for the ladies!
dinizintheoven wrote:GOOD CHRISTIANS do not go to jail. EVERYONE ON FORMULA ONE REJECTS should be in jail.
MCard LOLA
Fetzie

Post by Fetzie »

dr-baker wrote:I missed the first 30 laps due to church and lunch, etc. (plus the Sky box playing silly buggers), and I don't really feel like I missed anything. In previous years, I would have been frustrated, and want to go back to watch the rerun or highlights on TV, but I don't feel like I missed anything significant enough this time to warrant it. Am I falling out of love for this series as so many others on here seem to be as well?

Given that the only real on-track action happened in turn 1 and the lead into turn 2 on the first lap, you didn't really miss anything in the following 29.9 laps :)
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

Fetzie wrote:
dr-baker wrote:I missed the first 30 laps due to church and lunch, etc. (plus the Sky box playing silly buggers), and I don't really feel like I missed anything. In previous years, I would have been frustrated, and want to go back to watch the rerun or highlights on TV, but I don't feel like I missed anything significant enough this time to warrant it. Am I falling out of love for this series as so many others on here seem to be as well?

Given that the only real on-track action happened in turn 1 and the lead into turn 2 on the first lap, you didn't really miss anything in the following 29.9 laps :)

I got that impression very quickly. Plus I didn't really want to see the pain of Button's mechanical woes or whatever it was that sent him to the back of the pack.
MCard LOLA
AndreaModa

Post by AndreaModa »

Ahh I see the usual response to a below-par race is in full swing again.

I was going submit a lengthy post about negativity but I can't be bothered.

If it's that bad, if it makes you angry or feel like sh*t then do us all a favour and switch it off and do something else for f*** sake. What's the actual point?
I want my MTV...Simtek Ford

My Motorsport Photos

@DNPQ_
Ataxia
Not Important

Post by Ataxia »

AndreaModa wrote:Ahh I see the usual response to a below-par race is in full swing again.

If it's that bad, if it makes you angry or feel like sh*t then do us all a favour and switch it off and do something else for f*** sake. What's the actual point?

Completely agreed. Not entirely sure what people expected from the Hungaroring, frankly.

Spectoremg wrote:My two penneth worth:

If that's your tuppence worth, then I somehow feel short-changed.
Mitch Hedberg wrote:I want to be a race car passenger: just a guy who bugs the driver. Say man, can I turn on the radio? You should slow down. Why do we gotta keep going in circles? Man, you really like Tide...
Bobby Doorknobs

AndreaModa wrote:Ahh I see the usual response to a below-par race is in full swing again.

I'm afraid your words will fall on deaf ears (blind eyes?), given how persistent the behaviour still is :roll:

It wasn't even that bad of a race. It's no instant classic, but there was enough action going on to leave something to talk about. Very good, given the low standards generally expected of the Hungaroring, fairly average by any other metric.
#FreeGonzo
johnston21

Post by johnston21 »

mario wrote:
East Londoner wrote:

What's even more entertaining is Gutierrez's claim for why Hamilton should have given him more respect for his driving on track:
"You never know, maybe in the future I will be fighting [for] the championship with him so he has to respect that."

http://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/gutie ... re-802019/

Shall I just say that I think that Gutierrez is more than a little optimistic about his chances - some might have delusions of grandeur, but Gutierrez seems to have delusions of adequacy.

Totally agree. This was the best comment coming from this weekend's circus.
Frentzen127

Post by Frentzen127 »

dr-baker wrote:
Klon wrote:

I saw it coming from a mile away and it still made me laugh.
DEPORTIVO CA... pfft hahaha can't say that with a straight face!
Misses Minardi dearly. :(
CoopsII

Post by CoopsII »

Er.

I enjoyed the race, I thought there were some good battles going on up and down the field. Also, with the track being the way it is all the on-board camera shots I always find incredibly exhilarating (that now 'infamous' clip of Rosberg finishing his Quali lap with slowing cars here, there and everywhere, for example).

I haven't used one of these for a while so here goes... :dance:
Just For One Day...
Cynon

Post by Cynon »

The race met my admittedly extremely low expectations (it's bathplugging HUNGARY) quite adequately thank you very much. I have no reason to complain because at least there was some Palmer and GutiGuti goonery going on.
Check out the TM Master Cup Series on Youtube...
...or check out my random retro IndyCar clips.

Dr. Helmut Marko wrote: Finally we have an Australian in the team who can start a race well and challenge Vettel.
mario

Post by mario »

Cynon wrote:The race met my admittedly extremely low expectations (it's bathplugging HUNGARY) quite adequately thank you very much. I have no reason to complain because at least there was some Palmer and GutiGuti goonery going on.

I think it is because, in the past few years, we have had an unusually exciting set of races in Hungary - that said, that owed a lot to the fact that the recent races tended to be influenced by weather, whereas this year the bad weather hit the qualifying sessions instead. In retrospect, it was an average, or slightly better than average, race for the Hungaroring, but it suffered from coming on the back of several much more exciting races in recent memory.

Frentzen127 wrote:
dr-baker wrote:
Klon wrote:

I saw it coming from a mile away and it still made me laugh.

It is fair to say that I had also subscribed to the notion that Rosberg had pulled out a lead that Hamilton would struggle to catch, certainly not with the speed with which it has evaporated.

However, even with the recent reverses in form, Rosberg does still have an advantage due to Hamilton's early season engine problems - we know that Hamilton will have to take engine penalties in the next few races (he's talked about Spa or Monza being the most likely races).
That is extremely likely to put Rosberg back in front, and there is always the risk when trying to force your way through the field that you can get tangled up with somebody, potentially costing Hamilton more points. I still have a feeling that Rosberg is more likely to take the title this season, despite Hamilton's recent form - we will see how the rest of the season plays out though.
Spectoremg

Post by Spectoremg »

Terribly sorry about voicing an opinion, I'll get permission from one of the site mandarins in future.
Bobby Doorknobs

Spectoremg wrote:Terribly sorry about voicing an opinion, I'll get permission from one of the site mandarins in future.

Well, maybe if you voiced it in a more respectful tone instead of making a sweeping judgment of anyone who held the contrary view, you might have gotten a less hostile response.
#FreeGonzo
CoopsII

Post by CoopsII »

Simtek wrote:
Spectoremg wrote:Terribly sorry about voicing an opinion, I'll get permission from one of the site mandarins in future.

Well, maybe if you voiced it in a more respectful tone instead of making a sweeping judgment of anyone who held the contrary view, you might have gotten a less hostile response.

Simteks right and IIRC we've been down this road once before when you made a similar citrus fruit based reference aimed at myself and Ataxia. As my mother always says "chill the f.uck out".
Just For One Day...
lance_rambert

Post by lance_rambert »

mario wrote:However, even with the recent reverses in form, Rosberg does still have an advantage due to Hamilton's early season engine problems - we know that Hamilton will have to take engine penalties in the next few races (he's talked about Spa or Monza being the most likely races).
That is extremely likely to put Rosberg back in front, and there is always the risk when trying to force your way through the field that you can get tangled up with somebody, potentially costing Hamilton more points. I still have a feeling that Rosberg is more likely to take the title this season, despite Hamilton's recent form - we will see how the rest of the season plays out though.

My only worry is how many races will Hamilton take the grid drops at... Since we're talking about Mercedes, I wouldn't expect them to eat their engines like potato chips as McLaren did last year. Nico would need Lewis to take the hit on at least three races to rebuild the gap from the first third of the season that's now evaporated. Even so, Lewis's recent form looks to be good enough to make sure that gap won't stretch that much again. Nico had something like two race wins-worth of points in his pocket, but as soon as Lewis got going, that cushion just disappeared after 5 races. Who's to say that even if Nico takes the next few races, Lewis won't just chop down that lead 5 races after? I'm not even considering the potential mechanical issues that could plague Nico...
Rob Dylan

Post by Rob Dylan »

As a big Rosberg fan, I know I'd be silly not to put my money on Hamilton to win the championship easily from now on. Nico had his time in the sun, and he'll get a few more race wins before the season is over, but Lewis will walk away with it as he always does.
Murray Walker at the 1997 Austrian Grand Prix wrote:The other [Stewart] driver, who nobody's been paying attention to, because he's disappointing, is Jan Magnussen.
Felipe Nasr - the least forgettable F1 driver!
CoopsII

Post by CoopsII »

Rob Dylan wrote:As a big Rosberg fan, I know I'd be silly not to put my money on Hamilton to win the championship easily from now on. Nico had his time in the sun, and he'll get a few more race wins before the season is over, but Lewis will walk away with it as he always does.

The planets are beginning to align in Hamilton favour, I agree, and I personally wouldn't bet against him. What could finish Rosberg off is him not winning the race where Hamilton takes a penalty and starts at the back of the grid, hasn't that happened in the past? Equally Hamilton winning in Germany could be mentally damaging to Rosberg depending on how German he's feeling on Sunday (if he loses, probably not very).

But when Rosbergs confidence is up he can beat his team-mate so perhaps a couple of wins in a row and he could stop the rot. I still think this will go down to the last race.
Just For One Day...
mario

Post by mario »

CoopsII wrote:
Rob Dylan wrote:As a big Rosberg fan, I know I'd be silly not to put my money on Hamilton to win the championship easily from now on. Nico had his time in the sun, and he'll get a few more race wins before the season is over, but Lewis will walk away with it as he always does.

The planets are beginning to align in Hamilton favour, I agree, and I personally wouldn't bet against him. What could finish Rosberg off is him not winning the race where Hamilton takes a penalty and starts at the back of the grid, hasn't that happened in the past? Equally Hamilton winning in Germany could be mentally damaging to Rosberg depending on how German he's feeling on Sunday (if he loses, probably not very).

But when Rosbergs confidence is up he can beat his team-mate so perhaps a couple of wins in a row and he could stop the rot. I still think this will go down to the last race.

I suspect you are thinking, rather appropriately, of the 2014 Hungarian GP, where Rosberg began on pole whilst Hamilton had to start from the pit lane due to the oil fire he had during qualifying, only for Hamilton to beat him to the final podium position.

I suspect that Hamilton will probably take a double engine penalty in either Spa or Monza in order to stock up on engine parts - i.e. he will probably take one fresh engine and all of the ancillaries for qualifying, followed by a second fresh engine for the race start.

In those circumstances, he'll probably make a pit lane start as well - it would be less risky, and he could adapt the set up to help him overtake other cars in race trim (as the team could pull the car out of parc ferme).
CoopsII

Post by CoopsII »

mario wrote:I suspect you are thinking, rather appropriately, of the 2014 Hungarian GP, where Rosberg began on pole whilst Hamilton had to start from the pit lane due to the oil fire he had during qualifying, only for Hamilton to beat him to the final podium position.

Probably, although I seem to remember an actual race where Hamilton started a long way behind Rosberg only for Rosberg to not capitalise on it and lose the win to another driver.
Just For One Day...
Rob Dylan

Post by Rob Dylan »

CoopsII wrote:
mario wrote:I suspect you are thinking, rather appropriately, of the 2014 Hungarian GP, where Rosberg began on pole whilst Hamilton had to start from the pit lane due to the oil fire he had during qualifying, only for Hamilton to beat him to the final podium position.

Probably, although I seem to remember an actual race where Hamilton started a long way behind Rosberg only for Rosberg to not capitalise on it and lose the win to another driver.

Well Hungary last year, Hamilton was having a disaster of a race and still finished ahead of Rosberg in the minor points. Pretty certain Rosberg got ROTR that day for being unable to score an open goal.
Murray Walker at the 1997 Austrian Grand Prix wrote:The other [Stewart] driver, who nobody's been paying attention to, because he's disappointing, is Jan Magnussen.
Bobby Doorknobs

Rob Dylan wrote:
CoopsII wrote:

Well Hungary last year, Hamilton was having a disaster of a race and still finished ahead of Rosberg in the minor points. Pretty certain Rosberg got ROTR that day for being unable to score an open goal.

Actually, they both got ROTR for cocking it up. Hamilton just came out better.
#FreeGonzo
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

How many people saw that Williams posted this on their Facebook page during the Hungarian GP weekend? Williams ought to get respect from many Rejects fans for this:

MCard LOLA
Rob Dylan

Post by Rob Dylan »

Probably the most significant thing that ever happened at the 2004 Hungarian Grand Prix. :pantano:
Row Man Gross-Gene

Post by Row Man Gross-Gene »

Motor Sport Magazine also mentioned HWNSNBM in a tweet about the Hungarian GP. He's popular these days.
It's just unbelievable...that Formula 1 could be such a ridiculous melange of idiots.

-Jamie McGregor

Check out my colo(u)ring pages website: http://sites.google.com/site/carcoloringpages/
Nuppiz
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Nuppiz »

He was also briefly shown during the TV broadcasts of the GP weekend. I think it was one of the FP sessions.
Eurosport broadcast for the 1990 Mexican GP prequalifying:
"The Life, it looked very lifeless yet again... in fact Bruno did one, slow lap"
CoopsII

Post by CoopsII »

Rob Dylan wrote:
CoopsII wrote:

That was probably it, thanks.
Just For One Day...
girry

Post by girry »

HWNSNBM is merely the only Hungarian to cross the line at a World Championship Hungarian Grand Prix...László Hartmann 1936 never forget!
when you're dead people start listening