The 2017 Silly Season thread

The place for speaking your mind on current goings-on in F1
Bobby Doorknobs

Re: The 2017 Silly Season thread

Post by Bobby Doorknobs »

andrew wrote:
Waris wrote:Well, the silly season just got a lot more interesting over the past week.

I really hope Kvjat gets the free seat at Williams, even though it doesn't look likely. Stroll is too young and talented but unproven, although if he wins the GP3 title that won't hurt his credentials.

I also hope Ocon will get promoted to Renault so that Alex Rossi can return to the Manor race seat. You never know, fingers crossed...

Stroll is not in gp3.

You have to admit though, winning it wouldn't hurt his credentials :P

But yeah, Stroll is leading in F3, not GP3 ;)
#FreeGonzo
Dj_bereta

Post by Dj_bereta »

Talking about Williams, Motorsport claims Lance Stroll now is the favorite for racing seat after Button choosing to stay at McLaren. Not only this, but he could move to Force India as well, replacing Perez if the Mexican moves to another team.
Waiting for Lotus hiring Johnny Cecotto jr.
EuroBrun

Post by EuroBrun »

Dj_bereta wrote:Talking about Williams, Motorsport claims Lance Stroll now is the favorite for racing seat after Button choosing to stay at McLaren. Not only this, but he could move to Force India as well, replacing Perez if the Mexican moves to another team.

When I heard of Massa I immediately thought of Stroll, who might make up for a nice team with the now experienced Bottas.
Izzyeviel

Post by Izzyeviel »

I started this thread in Dec' 2015 thinking it would be funny to do so. Today I log into Autosport & they're already discussing the 2019 Silly Season!

Anyway, Stroll is Maldonado part deux. He needs GP2 experience. If I were Williams, I'd either get one of Di Resta, Lynn, or Nasr on board.
Aislabie

Post by Aislabie »

Izzyeviel wrote:I started this thread in Dec' 2015 thinking it would be funny to do so. Today I log into Autosport & they're already discussing the 2019 Silly Season!

Yeah, I saw that, but I don't have Autosport Plus. What did they predict that the grid would be?
Ataxia
Not Important

Post by Ataxia »

Aislabie wrote:
Izzyeviel wrote:I started this thread in Dec' 2015 thinking it would be funny to do so. Today I log into Autosport & they're already discussing the 2019 Silly Season!

Yeah, I saw that, but I don't have Autosport Plus. What did they predict that the grid would be?

I'll give you the run-down.

Essentially, Autosport predict that to continue reading this feature, join Autosport Plus today.
Mitch Hedberg wrote:I want to be a race car passenger: just a guy who bugs the driver. Say man, can I turn on the radio? You should slow down. Why do we gotta keep going in circles? Man, you really like Tide...
AndreaModa

Post by AndreaModa »

Does anyone here actually pay for Autosport Plus? I think Baker does. Anyone else?
I want my MTV...Simtek Ford

My Motorsport Photos

@DNPQ_
Izzyeviel

Post by Izzyeviel »

AndreaModa wrote:Does anyone here actually pay for Autosport Plus? I think Baker does. Anyone else?

yeah I read it a lot so I thought I'd try paying for it for a year.

Basically the 2019 line up is this -
Mercedes - Rosberg/Ham/Vettel/Weherlin/Ocon
Ferrari - Vettel/Riccardio/Leclerc/Grosjean
Renault - Grosjean/Perez/Ocon/Sainz
Red Bull - Sainz/Vestappen/Riccardio
Williams - Stroll/Bottas/Nasr/
Force India - Stroll/Perez/Hulk/Wehrlein
Mclaren - Vandoorne

It is a very waffley article. :shock:
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

AndreaModa wrote:Does anyone here actually pay for Autosport Plus? I think Baker does. Anyone else?

I don't pay for it; it was a free bonus extra that they allowed me to have when I signed up for a print suscription.
watka wrote:I find it amusing that whilst you're one of the more openly Christian guys here, you are still first and foremost associated with an eye for the ladies!
dinizintheoven wrote:GOOD CHRISTIANS do not go to jail. EVERYONE ON FORMULA ONE REJECTS should be in jail.
MCard LOLA
Aislabie

Post by Aislabie »

Izzyeviel wrote:

Mclaren - Vandoorne

So basically they've got no idea and are just listing every promising driver affiliated with these teams? How awfully worthwhile
rachel1990

Post by rachel1990 »

Aislabie wrote:
Izzyeviel wrote:

Mclaren - Vandoorne

So basically they've got no idea and are just listing every promising driver affiliated with these teams? How awfully worthwhile

Exactly what I was thinking- Especially since Vettel seems to going to two teams- Why not Mclaren as well. And the way Kimi is going he might still be a Ferrari driver in 2019.
Benetton of 1992. Never a reject
Frentzen127

Post by Frentzen127 »

Aislabie wrote:
Izzyeviel wrote:

Mclaren - Vandoorne

Autosport Plus is fairly decent in a number of areas - I particularly like Gary Anderson's articles - but while you get a good variety of content on the same site, I can't help but feel that I might get the same thing elsewhere. Gary Anderson's technical insight is great, but I suspect I could gather the same from F1 technical or Scarbs. Dieter Rencken's columns are good too, but you can get similar content elsewhere, and the list keeps on going. So far it seems as if I'm paying to have easier access to content I might as well find elsewhere -I'd just have to look for it.

I suspect AP is really worthwhile during winter testing and the silly season, but I wouldn't know about that - I subscribed last May. I guess I'll find out soon enough.
DEPORTIVO CA... pfft hahaha can't say that with a straight face!
Misses Minardi dearly. :(
AndreaModa

Post by AndreaModa »

Interesting views. I do wonder what sort of revenue Autosport generate from it and how that stacks up versus the money made on print copies.

I find myself reading the stuff from Motor Sport Magazine more and more these days. Mark Hughes' race reports are really in-depth, and Mat Oxley's MotoGP columns are first class. If I want to quickly read a news piece I'll go to Motorsport.com. I save my Autosport credits for the Manor articles that I'm compiling! ;)

My Motorsport Photos

@DNPQ_
Bobby Doorknobs

Post by Bobby Doorknobs »

#FreeGonzo
Aislabie

Post by Aislabie »

Simtek wrote:It's not over yet for Rio!

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.ph ... turn-in-17

Well that's the end of Nasr's F1 career.

Mercedes - Hamilton & Rosberg
Red Bull - Ricciardo & Verstappen
Ferrari - Raikkonen & Vettel
Force India - Hulkenberg & Perez
Williams - Bottas & Stroll
McLaren - Alonso & Vandoorne
Toro Rosso - Gasly & Sainz
Haas - Grosjean & Leclerc
Renault - Kvyat & Magnussen
Manor - Ocon & Wehrlein
Sauber - Ericsson & Haryanto

Of course, a lot still depends on Perez's decision
Aislabie

Post by Aislabie »

I should probably write clickbait articles for motorsport sites, because I just keep having transfer ideas.

What about Romain Grosjean to return to Renault, and Haas to have two entirely new drivers: Antonio Giovinazzi and Charles Leclerc?

Also, Lando Norris to get a race seat as soon as he's old enough (2018 season?). Weird seeing that he's three years younger than me to the day.
This Could Be You

Post by This Could Be You »

Motorsport.com wrote:]Sauber says talent, not money, will dictate 2017 line-up

http://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/sauber-says-talent-not-money-will-dictate-2017-line-up-825836/?s=1
Why is Chilton, even with his 'talent', deciding Sauber's lineup. A return maybe? :chilton: :shock:
Your Signature Here

Named after HRT, now on HRT
This Could Be You

http://www.motorsport.com/automotive/news/apple-linked-with-mclaren-takeover-828822

If these rumours are anything to go by, big changes could happen to McLaren ( for those who don't like tapping blue text, the gist of it is that Apple may be about to buy McLaren for the iCar project!)
Your Signature Here

WeirdKerr
Location: on the edge of nowhere with a ludicrous grid penalty.....

Post by WeirdKerr »

This Could Be You wrote:http://www.motorsport.com/automotive/news/apple-linked-with-mclaren-takeover-828822

If these rumours are anything to go by, big changes could happen to McLaren ( for those who don't like tapping blue text, the gist of it is that Apple may be about to buy McLaren for the iCar project!)

Seriously???!!!!
EuroBrun

Post by EuroBrun »

WeirdKerr wrote:
This Could Be You wrote:http://www.motorsport.com/automotive/news/apple-linked-with-mclaren-takeover-828822

Seriously???!!!!

Another big piece of Formula 1 will disappear if a full takeover take place.

Maybe it is just the case of a technical partnership like TAG for RB, with new road going car developed together.
AndreaModa

Post by AndreaModa »

If they do buy, I bet they'll just buy the Automotive side. How much to Apple currently spend on advertising? Sinking millions into a loss-making F1 team just isn't them.

My Motorsport Photos

@DNPQ_
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

Autosport says that "McLaren denies rumours of talks with Apple." Denial = confirmation?

To be honest, Apple, with the tech that they have been developing, ought to be looking at FE's RoboRace series if they are considering motorsport.
watka wrote:I find it amusing that whilst you're one of the more openly Christian guys here, you are still first and foremost associated with an eye for the ladies!
dinizintheoven wrote:GOOD CHRISTIANS do not go to jail. EVERYONE ON FORMULA ONE REJECTS should be in jail.
MCard LOLA
mario

Post by mario »

AndreaModa wrote:If they do buy, I bet they'll just buy the Automotive side. How much to Apple currently spend on advertising? Sinking millions into a loss-making F1 team just isn't them.

The BBC have reported on the deal, suggesting that Apple might have in fact been looking at McLaren Applied Technologies for their expertise in rapid prototyping, sensor technologies and predictive software technology (for example, MAT have been using some of their tracking technology in the aviation sector to improve the efficiency with which aircraft are placed in holding patterns).

However, they are suggesting that Apple were looking for a technical partnership rather than a takeover, and they have also suggested that the talks seem to have been inconclusive.
Martin Brundle, on watching a replay of Grosjean spinning:
"The problem with Grosjean is that he want to take a look back at the corner he's just exited"
solarcold

Post by solarcold »

What a lazy deal: they'll only need to throw away the "i" from "Applied"!
"Here's your car. Go nuts."
Dallara, 2010
Izzyeviel

Post by Izzyeviel »

Sauber looking for well funded pay drivers for 2017.

Guido Van Der Garde. You heard it hear first.
SuzukiSwift

Post by SuzukiSwift »

Sauber has hired all of them. All the drivers.
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

SuzukiSwift wrote:Sauber has hired all of them. All the drivers.

Yes! Perry McCarthy and Yuji Ide FTW!
MCard LOLA
Rob Dylan

Post by Rob Dylan »

So we have a Perez in a Force India for 2017. Still awaiting the Renault driver announcements, which I'm pretty sure they said were going to be around this weekend...
Murray Walker at the 1997 Austrian Grand Prix wrote:The other [Stewart] driver, who nobody's been paying attention to, because he's disappointing, is Jan Magnussen.
Felipe Nasr - the least forgettable F1 driver!
watka
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by watka »

Sensible decision I think. None of the offers on the table looked much better than Force India for 2017 and also looks to be a one year deal so if say Renault make a leap forward he can go at the end of 2017.
Watka - you know, the swimming horses guy
Aislabie

Post by Aislabie »

Izzyeviel wrote:Sauber looking for well funded pay drivers for 2017.

Guido Van Der Garde. You heard it hear first.

Apparently Haryanto has money again!

For Renault, I reckon Magnussen & Buemi would be a good pairing. Never going to happen though.
Aislabie

Post by Aislabie »

This Could Be You

Aislabie wrote:Interesting if true...

It seems unlikely at best- Hulkenburg and Sainz are both contracted and Red Bull have specifically ruled out loaning Sainz to them. Bottas however, is still possible, although it depends on how much he feels Williams is declining behind the scenes vs Renault getting stronger. All three are more likely to try and join in 2018 to be honest.
Your Signature Here

DemocalypseNow

Post by DemocalypseNow »

I'm both disappointed but also begrudgingly understanding of Haas' approach to the market.

You think back through history, and you look at midfield teams that have operated in a manner akin to a B-Team for manufacturers, and rather often they have a young promising rookie in their second car. Antonio Giovinazzi has been doing wonders in GP2, to the point that Ferrari gave him a test at Fiorano. In theory, the GP2 champion should always get a crack at F1, especially when they win it in their debut season. That puts him in the same position as Rosberg, Hamilton and Hülkenberg. One is a champion, one is a multiple race winner and potentially soon-to-be champion, and one has been an F1 mainstay for many years now. He's an exciting young talent, and one that Ferrari have taken a shine to.

Now, they tried to put a spanner in the Perez deal, but failed to hijack his impeding renewal. He's one of the best midfield drivers at present without a doubt, so it makes sense they'd try for him. They explain they want an experienced driver, but clearly are fine dumping their existing 'experienced' driver in Esteban Gutiérrez.

What has made Force India's lineup so good of late is not just who the drivers are, but the fact they've been there as a pairing for so long now. 2017 will be their fourth season with the same lineup, and it's bearing fruit. Why not just accept that year one will be a learning year for any driver, never mind an F1 rookie, and just hire one of the more promising drivers and give him time to bed in? There is nothing particularly stellar about the other options available on the F1 grid at this moment, so why not take the punt on the in-form Italian?
Novitopoli wrote:Everytime someone orders at Pizza Hut, an Italian dies.
Novitopoli wrote:Juve's Triplete: Calciopoli, doping & Mafia connections.

Image Image
Rob Dylan

Post by Rob Dylan »

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/126554/f1-2017-show-at-risk-without-bahrain-testing
Paddy Lowe saying the "s" word. While I have little to no sympathy for him or his team, and say that they should just put up or shut up, I agree with Symonds that traveling to Bahrain for testing only takes up more money from the teams that can't afford it, and the lack of this test only levels the playing field in that regard. If Mercedes gets voted against, boohoo, the entirety of F1 isn't going to collapse. Just as long as Mr Lowe doesn't start sounding as entitled as a certain Mr Horner did after a long period of success...
Murray Walker at the 1997 Austrian Grand Prix wrote:The other [Stewart] driver, who nobody's been paying attention to, because he's disappointing, is Jan Magnussen.
Felipe Nasr - the least forgettable F1 driver!
mario

Post by mario »

Rob Dylan wrote:http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/126554/f1-2017-show-at-risk-without-bahrain-testing
Paddy Lowe saying the "s" word. While I have little to no sympathy for him or his team, and say that they should just put up or shut up, I agree with Symonds that traveling to Bahrain for testing only takes up more money from the teams that can't afford it, and the lack of this test only levels the playing field in that regard. If Mercedes gets voted against, boohoo, the entirety of F1 isn't going to collapse. Just as long as Mr Lowe doesn't start sounding as entitled as a certain Mr Horner did after a long period of success...

In fact, to be fair to Lowe, it is worth noting that Pirelli were the first ones to ask for the teams to shift some of the testing to Bahrain, not Mercedes - here's an article from August where Pirelli were arguing that Bahrain would be a better track to do those winter tests. http://www.grandprix247.com/2016/08/10/ ... -f1-tyres/

To play devil's advocate, there have been complaints for some time that the pre-season tests in Spain are not exactly great value for money given that the ambient conditions are much colder than they are during the season. The tests might be cheaper to run, but is it necessarily of that much value given that the data that the teams are collecting on tyre performance is almost useless?

I know that Bridgestone, for example, were complaining back in 2009 that they thought that the first pre-season test was a total waste of time given that both themselves and the teams learned nothing of value about the tyres. They were also pretty critical in 2010 as well - in the pre-season tests, a lot of teams were complaining that the tyres were literally falling to pieces in testing because Bridgestone was having so many problems with cold graining, and a few observers were wondering how teams could cope with that wear rate in race trim - we all know how durable the tyres proved to be during the season itself.

Pirelli have also had a similar issue as well - don't forget that Pirelli had to go to the extent of producing a bespoke tyre just for the winter tests a few years ago, such were the warm up problems that teams had to try and get the tyres into the correct temperature operating window. At the moment, it looks as if you have two different viewpoints - do you want a venue that is cheaper, but may offer less useful data, or a potentially more expensive venue that would potentially offer more useful data?
"The problem with Grosjean is that he want to take a look back at the corner he's just exited"
Yannick

Post by Yannick »

mario wrote:
Rob Dylan wrote:http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/126554/f1-2017-show-at-risk-without-bahrain-testing

In fact, to be fair to Lowe, it is worth noting that Pirelli were the first ones to ask for the teams to shift some of the testing to Bahrain, not Mercedes - here's an article from August where Pirelli were arguing that Bahrain would be a better track to do those winter tests. http://www.grandprix247.com/2016/08/10/ ... -f1-tyres/

If, for Pirelli tyre testing, they cannot go to Bahrain because the risk of sand storms is too high, they cannot go to Abu Dhabi because they cannot run the soft and supersoft compounds there, and they cannot stop at Sepang on the way to Australia because the risk of rain is too high, there is another track in the south, just outside of Europe, which can easily be reached by truck even:

Istanbul Park. And it's owned by one of Bernie's companies. Why don't they just test there? By any coincidence, might this circuit not be in shape for racing anymore? Does anybody know what Istanbul Park looks like today?
"I don't think we should be used to finance (the manufacturers') R&D because they will produce that engine anyway" said Monisha Kaltenborn.
"You will never see a Mercedes using a Ferrari engine or the other way round."
mario

Post by mario »

Yannick wrote:
mario wrote:

If, for Pirelli tyre testing, they cannot go to Bahrain because the risk of sand storms is too high, they cannot go to Abu Dhabi because they cannot run the soft and supersoft compounds there, and they cannot stop at Sepang on the way to Australia because the risk of rain is too high, there is another track in the south, just outside of Europe, which can easily be reached by truck even:

Istanbul Park. And it's owned by one of Bernie's companies. Why don't they just test there? By any coincidence, might this circuit not be in shape for racing anymore? Does anybody know what Istanbul Park looks like today?

I do have to wonder what sort of shape it is in, because it seems to see very little action these days - looking at the website for the track, it seems to have been reduced to holding little more than local club races, and only a handful of those at best. When was the last time that a major international series held a race there?
andrew

Post by andrew »

mario wrote:
Yannick wrote:[quote="mariohttp://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/126554/f1-2017-show-at-risk-without-bahrain-testing

I do have to wonder what sort of shape it is in, because it seems to see very little action these days - looking at the website for the track, it seems to have been reduced to holding little more than local club races, and only a handful of those at best. When was the last time that a major international series held a race there?
[/quote]

World rally cross went there in 2015. World superbikes in 2013
Londoner

Post by Londoner »

Apparently the Finnish newspaper Turun Sanomat is reporting that Hulkenberg has signed a three-year contract with Renault. If true, that's a bold move given Renault's form and the fact that a lot of recruitment and restructuring is needed to restore Enstone. I can only imagine Hulk's got an eye on the long term development of the team.
Fetzie on Ferrari wrote:How does a driver hurtling around a race track while they're sous-viding in their overalls have a better understanding of the race than a team of strategy engineers in an air-conditioned room?l
novitopoli
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by novitopoli »

Given that Red Bull tried and failed to take Sainz from Red Bull, could they actually try and sign Gasly as their second driver instead? (Given that both Palmer and Magnussen are set to be ditched, the latter being reported as close to Haas) At least I hope they succeed, as that would probably make the ONE THING I want for next season happen.
sw3ishida wrote:Jolyon Palmer brought us closer as a couple, for which I am grateful.

Ataxia wrote:
Londoner wrote:Something I've thought about - what happens to our canon should we have a worldwide recession or some other outside event?

We'll be fine. It's Canon, non Kodak.