The 2016 Japanese Grand Prix Thread

The place for speaking your mind on current goings-on in F1
TheFlyingCaterham

The 2016 Japanese Grand Prix Thread

Post by TheFlyingCaterham »

The weather around here also hasn't been too good either, thanks to the typhoon nearby (more info here.

And that's all I can think of to type at the moment. Thoughts?
Resident Track Designer Addict

2016 F1Rejects Track Designing Competition Champion
2017 F1Rejects Track Designing Competition Runner-Up

More of a reader than a poster on these forums, so I won't post much compared to others.
RonDenisDeletraz

Re: The 2016 Japanese Grand Prix Thread

Post by RonDenisDeletraz »

I have a feeling this race may well be very wet. Will be interesting to see how McLaren go in front of the Honda top brass that will be present. Hope Riccardo will be in contention again, or at least beat Vettel.
aerond wrote:Yes RDD, but we always knew you never had any sort of taste either :P

tommykl wrote:I have a shite car and meme sponsors, but Corrado Fabi will carry me to the promised land with the power of Lionel Richie.
Rob Dylan

Post by Rob Dylan »

With five races to go, this is the first race where the pressure is really on. Before the Summer break I think most of us (generalising here) assumed that with Lewis's run of victories, the second half of the season would be the same as '14 and '15: a few fightbacks towards the very end by Nico, but mostly Hamilton winning lights-to-flag. But Rosberg is still leading the championship, and after Hamilton lost a guaranteed win and Nico extended his lead in Malaysia, it would only take a win or two more from Rosberg in the immediate races for the championship to be all but wrapped up.

This is the first Hamilton vs. Rosberg season where Nico has the upper hand going into the final stages. 2016 has been a much more interesting championship than it looked to be back in June!
*Prepares popcorn*
So, um, yeah, I suppose I'm tuning into watch Suzuka this weekend :P
Murray Walker at the 1997 Austrian Grand Prix wrote:The other [Stewart] driver, who nobody's been paying attention to, because he's disappointing, is Jan Magnussen.
Felipe Nasr - the least forgettable F1 driver!
EuroBrun

Post by EuroBrun »

Ham is now "mad" and therefore I see him as a dominant winner for this GP, especially considering that Nico may sooner or later face some engine problem himself and that he may also settle for second places from now on.

Wheater will also play a key role in the GP altering the regular performace values. If we see some rain Ferrari's choiche to have more softer tyres can be a good gamble.
Londoner

Post by Londoner »

Yet more braking issues for Haas in free practice today. I wouldn't be surprised if they have to start and park on Sunday, because neither driver has any confidence in the car.

What I am surprised is that the FIA or stewards haven't yet stepped in, because this is turning into a safety issue.
Fetzie on Ferrari wrote:How does a driver hurtling around a race track while they're sous-viding in their overalls have a better understanding of the race than a team of strategy engineers in an air-conditioned room?l
Rob Dylan

Post by Rob Dylan »

It's definitely a shame to see Grosjean's confidence evaporate once again now that Haas's pace has dropped. But if it's becoming a safety issue, the team really need to do some kind of overhaul for next season. These problems are likely just teething issues, but the team won't have the same excuse when they're being expected to develop.
Murray Walker at the 1997 Austrian Grand Prix wrote:The other [Stewart] driver, who nobody's been paying attention to, because he's disappointing, is Jan Magnussen.
Felipe Nasr - the least forgettable F1 driver!
lance_rambert

Post by lance_rambert »

Erm, in case you folks didn't watch, apparently Sky is taking notes from the Fox and NBC NASCAR crews w.r.t. the commentators talking to the drivers in the cars. Ol' Herbert gave Nico a post-qualy interview over the radio, while Nico was on his cooldown lap...

...and FFS, McLaren. You guys couldn't have picked a worse track to qualify this low. :facepalm: Please, oh please, prove me wrong in the race tomorrow.
Aguaman

Post by Aguaman »

Is it me or Lewis has gained Webber's ability to have bad starts. Must have been the dampness on the even side of the grid.
Paul Hayes

Post by Paul Hayes »

I'd be quite happy with a dull race for a change if it stays this way now! Very happy with that slow start from Hamilton.
Aguaman

Post by Aguaman »

So Mercedes win the WCC and Nico wins again.

No retirements
Miguel98

Post by Miguel98 »

Rosberg can finish second in every race and still win the title now.
Mario on Gutierrez after the Italian Grand Prix wrote:He's no longer just a bit of a tool, he's the entire tool set.

18-07-2015: Forever in our hearts Jules.
25-08-2015: Forever in our hearts Justin.
Paul Hayes

Post by Paul Hayes »

Happy with that. Fingers crossed Rosberg can hang on and take the title now!
Bobby Doorknobs

Post by Bobby Doorknobs »

The legal drinking age in Japan is 20.

Max Verstappen is 19 years old.

Max Verstappen finished 2nd in the Japanese Grand Prix and therefore took part in the podium ceremony.

Max Verstappen drank champagne on the Japanese Grand Prix podium.

Max Verstappen is an underage drinker and should be locked up for his heinous crime. :P
#FreeGonzo
johnston21

Post by johnston21 »

Best part of the race was the TV opening reel when they showed Lewis with ears.

EuroBrun

Post by EuroBrun »

It annoyed me a bit to hear Vettel and Verstappen frequently complaining on the radio that drivers about to be lapped were not moving out of the way. I can understand the frustration, but Renaults, McLs and Toro Rossos were fighting for position themselves, they could not disappear.

Hamilton was in the same position and did not complain on the radio (despite being one of the most talkative of all drivers), jus put his hammer down pulling away from Vettel and reaching Verstappen.
WeirdKerr
Location: on the edge of nowhere with a ludicrous grid penalty.....

Post by WeirdKerr »

Simtek wrote:The legal drinking age in Japan is 20.

Max Verstappen is 19 years old.

Max Verstappen finished 2nd in the Japanese Grand Prix and therefore took part in the podium ceremony.

Max Verstappen drank champagne on the Japanese Grand Prix podium.

Max Verstappen is an underage drinker and should be locked up for his heinous crime. :P

U.S. is next, you cannot drink under 21 ....lol
SuzukiSwift

Post by SuzukiSwift »

For my first F1 event live this was pretty damn good. Will do it next year too.