The 2017 Silly Season thread

The place for speaking your mind on current goings-on in F1
dr-baker

Re: The 2017 Silly Season thread

Post by dr-baker »

AustralianStig wrote:
WeirdKerr wrote:Number 22?? shouldn't it be 14 or 47 as Button isn't racing next year......

Actually IIRC Stoffel hasn't chosen a number yet, 47 is just one of McLaren's reserve numbers for this season.

For the past two seasons, Fernando has needed a stand-in for one of the early flyaway races (i.e. last year and this year). So maybe Jenson will be parachuted into the seat for a race?
watka wrote:I find it amusing that whilst you're one of the more openly Christian guys here, you are still first and foremost associated with an eye for the ladies!
dinizintheoven wrote:GOOD CHRISTIANS do not go to jail. EVERYONE ON FORMULA ONE REJECTS should be in jail.
MCard LOLA
golic_2004

Post by golic_2004 »

To the surprise of absolutely no one
http://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/willi ... up-846271/
Williams in the last few years http://imgur.com/sNFFMYF
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

So I supported Mansell when I first got into F1 in 1992, a Brit in a Williams. Then in 1993 onwards, I supported Hill, who began as a Brit in a Williams. Then after his retirement, I supported Button, who started out in 2000 as a Brit in a Williams. I NEED THERE TO BE A BRIT IN A WILLIAMS. CAN YOU HEAR ME, FRANK? CAN YOU HEAR ME CLAIRE? Oliver Turvey? Adam Carroll? Alex Lynn? Alex Brundle? Oliver Rowland? Will Stevens? There is at least a choice...
watka wrote:I find it amusing that whilst you're one of the more openly Christian guys here, you are still first and foremost associated with an eye for the ladies!
dinizintheoven wrote:GOOD CHRISTIANS do not go to jail. EVERYONE ON FORMULA ONE REJECTS should be in jail.
MCard LOLA
Rob Dylan

Post by Rob Dylan »

I have no idea how good this young kid is, so I have no comment on that.

I think the more important question is how good Williams will compete next year. They can't lose the momentum they gained from the last few years with the new regulation changes, and it would be sad to see them slip into the quagmire of the lower midfield once again.
Murray Walker at the 1997 Austrian Grand Prix wrote:The other [Stewart] driver, who nobody's been paying attention to, because he's disappointing, is Jan Magnussen.
Felipe Nasr - the least forgettable F1 driver!
Ataxia
Not Important

Post by Ataxia »

Lance Stroll has the talent to make it. He WILL be ragged in the first couple of years, I can guarantee that, but he's got bags of pace and further bags of finance to sweeten the pot. It's win-win for Williams, really.

dr-baker wrote:So I supported Mansell when I first got into F1 in 1992, a Brit in a Williams. Then in 1993 onwards, I supported Hill, who began as a Brit in a Williams. Then after his retirement, I supported Button, who started out in 2000 as a Brit in a Williams. I NEED THERE TO BE A BRIT IN A WILLIAMS. CAN YOU HEAR ME, FRANK? CAN YOU HEAR ME CLAIRE? Oliver Turvey? Adam Carroll? Alex Lynn? Alex Brundle? Oliver Rowland? Will Stevens? There is at least a choice...

For what it's worth, you'll be best served keeping an eye out on the likes of Lando Norris, Jack Aitken, Jake Dennis...maybe even George Russell in the next few years. Alex Lynn could have had a chance at the Williams drive if he'd not had a poor GP2 season, and F1 is passé for the others on your list.

Lando will be huge in a few years, and he's a Bristol lad, so he'll be repping the West Country massive.
Mitch Hedberg wrote:I want to be a race car passenger: just a guy who bugs the driver. Say man, can I turn on the radio? You should slow down. Why do we gotta keep going in circles? Man, you really like Tide...
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

Ataxia wrote:Lance Stroll has the talent to make it. He WILL be ragged in the first couple of years, I can guarantee that, but he's got bags of pace and further bags of finance to sweeten the pot. It's win-win for Williams, really.

dr-baker wrote:So I supported Mansell when I first got into F1 in 1992, a Brit in a Williams. Then in 1993 onwards, I supported Hill, who began as a Brit in a Williams. Then after his retirement, I supported Button, who started out in 2000 as a Brit in a Williams. I NEED THERE TO BE A BRIT IN A WILLIAMS. CAN YOU HEAR ME, FRANK? CAN YOU HEAR ME CLAIRE? Oliver Turvey? Adam Carroll? Alex Lynn? Alex Brundle? Oliver Rowland? Will Stevens? There is at least a choice...

For what it's worth, you'll be best served keeping an eye out on the likes of Lando Norris, Jack Aitken, Jake Dennis...maybe even George Russell in the next few years. Alex Lynn could have had a chance at the Williams drive if he'd not had a poor GP2 season, and F1 is passé for the others on your list.

Lando will be huge in a few years, and he's a Bristol lad, so he'll be repping the West Country massive.

What's you opinion on Dean Stoneman?
MCard LOLA
Aislabie

Post by Aislabie »

Ataxia wrote:For what it's worth, you'll be best served keeping an eye out on the likes of Lando Norris, Jack Aitken, Jake Dennis...maybe even George Russell in the next few years. Alex Lynn could have had a chance at the Williams drive if he'd not had a poor GP2 season, and F1 is passé for the others on your list.

Should they all be fortunate enough to get competitive cars, then I imagine that the next era of F1 will see Max Verstappen, Lance Stroll, Lando Norris and Robert Verschoor in a four-way Championship joust, rather like the whole Schumacher/Raikkonen/Alonso/Button phase
Yannick

Post by Yannick »

Here's hoping Stroll is not a DeCrasheris (no offense intended) anymore like he used to be when his name was first reported in the press due to the incident which gave him a ban for at least one F3 race.

Williams sure can handle him, as they have proven with the Reverend before.
"I don't think we should be used to finance (the manufacturers') R&D because they will produce that engine anyway" said Monisha Kaltenborn.
"You will never see a Mercedes using a Ferrari engine or the other way round."
Bobby Doorknobs

Post by Bobby Doorknobs »

Well, that's the Peter Ryan profile confirmed. The first draft is already finished!

The similarities between Stroll and Ryan are actually a little scary...
#FreeGonzo
Londoner

Post by Londoner »

For what it's worth, Lando Norris is gonna be awesome when he makes it to Formula One. I'm surprised no-one's signed him up yet, though I imagine McLaren will be the most likely destination, as they will eventually need a replacement for Alonso.
Fetzie on Ferrari wrote:How does a driver hurtling around a race track while they're sous-viding in their overalls have a better understanding of the race than a team of strategy engineers in an air-conditioned room?l
Ataxia
Not Important

Post by Ataxia »

dr-baker wrote:What's you opinion on Dean Stoneman?

Definitely a talented lad, was terrific in GP3 after returning from his cancer-enforced time away. Thing is, after being dropped by Red Bull it's clear he's got no chance of making F1, hence why he moved to Indy Lights last season. He's 26 already as well, so although he's still a young man he's certainly not getting any younger. Assuming a driver peaks physically at around 28-32, he's not far off that.
Mitch Hedberg wrote:I want to be a race car passenger: just a guy who bugs the driver. Say man, can I turn on the radio? You should slow down. Why do we gotta keep going in circles? Man, you really like Tide...
Nessafox
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Nessafox »

East Londoner wrote:For what it's worth, Lando Norris is gonna be awesome when he makes it to Formula One. I'm surprised no-one's signed him up yet, though I imagine McLaren will be the most likely destination, as they will eventually need a replacement for Alonso.

One thing, his name sounds awesome. Like 'Chuck Norris playing a role in Star Wars'
I don't know what i want and i want it now!
johnston21

Post by johnston21 »

Go Canada, we're with you Lance!!!
Izzyeviel

Post by Izzyeviel »

Rather nice of Williams to resign Pastor.
RonDenisDeletraz

Post by RonDenisDeletraz »

This is kinda depressing, Stroll is nearly 8 months younger than me and got an F1 drive. Meanwhile, here I am, sitting at my computer doing bathplug all with my life.
aerond wrote:Yes RDD, but we always knew you never had any sort of taste either :P

tommykl wrote:I have a shite car and meme sponsors, but Corrado Fabi will carry me to the promised land with the power of Lionel Richie.
Nessafox
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Nessafox »

RonDenisDeletraz wrote:This is kinda depressing, Stroll is nearly 8 months younger than me and got an F1 drive. Meanwhile, here I am, sitting at my computer doing bathplug all with my life.

You're gonna become me, a thirty year old NEET :P
I don't know what i want and i want it now!
Bobby Doorknobs

Post by Bobby Doorknobs »

RonDenisDeletraz wrote:This is kinda depressing, Stroll is nearly 8 months younger than me and got an F1 drive. Meanwhile, here I am, sitting at my computer doing bathplug all with my life.

Time for that to change, no? ;)
#FreeGonzo
CoopsII

Post by CoopsII »

Ataxia wrote:Lando will be huge in a few years, and he's a Bristol lad, so he'll be repping the West Country massive.

Is there any chance he's named after a certain scoundrel from The Empire Strikes Back?
Just For One Day...
tBone

Post by tBone »

WeirdKerr wrote:Number 22?? shouldn't it be 14 or 47 as Button isn't racing next year......

Oops... :badoer:

By the way, in reply to the comments saying McLaren will probably keep their black livery: I agree. But hey, there's nothing wrong with dreaming, is there?
YOUR
LOGO

Here
Dj_bereta

Post by Dj_bereta »

tBone wrote:

Oops... :badoer:

By the way, in reply to the comments saying McLaren will probably keep their black livery: I agree. But hey, there's nothing wrong with dreaming, is there?

Yeah, nothing wrong with my earth dreams. :D
Waiting for Lotus hiring Johnny Cecotto jr.
Londoner

Post by Londoner »

Magnussen to Haas is looking like a done deal.

The point that interested me though was this:

Magnussen's capture would place the future of Gutierrez in doubt, however he is among those being considered for the second seat at Renault alongside Nico Hulkenberg.
Fetzie on Ferrari wrote:How does a driver hurtling around a race track while they're sous-viding in their overalls have a better understanding of the race than a team of strategy engineers in an air-conditioned room?l
FullMetalJack
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by FullMetalJack »

East Londoner wrote:Magnussen to Haas is looking like a done deal.

The point that interested me though was this:

Magnussen's capture would place the future of Gutierrez in doubt, however he is among those being considered for the second seat at Renault alongside Nico Hulkenberg.

A carbon copy of Sauber's 2013 then. Hulkenberg to completely annihilate Gutierrez yet again. I know Palmer isn't great but Gutierrez would be a major step down even from him.
I like the way Snrub thinks!
madmark1974

Post by madmark1974 »

BBC are also reporting Magnussen to Haas as done, but again, a small snippet at the bottom of the article suggests Palmer may end up at Force India, which I'm not sure I'd seen mentioned before ...

Magnussen's decision leaves Renault choosing between a number of drivers for their second seat alongside German Nico Hulkenberg, who signed for the team last month.

Palmer has an outside chance while others in the frame include Manor drivers Frenchman Esteban Ocon and German Pascal Wehrlein, Mexican Esteban Gutierrez, whose seat at Haas Magnussen has taken, and Sauber's Felipe Nasr.

Palmer, though, is considered more likely to end up at Force India, where many of the other drivers mentioned are also in the frame.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/formula1/37920386
CoopsII

Post by CoopsII »

I think Palmer deserves another crack and I hope he realises how lucky he is if it's at FI.
Just For One Day...
Ataxia
Not Important

Post by Ataxia »

CoopsII wrote:I think Palmer deserves another crack and I hope he realises how lucky he is if it's at FI.

...although he's just been confirmed at Renault for another year. Fair play, I guess!
mario

Post by mario »

Ataxia wrote:
CoopsII wrote:I think Palmer deserves another crack and I hope he realises how lucky he is if it's at FI.

...although he's just been confirmed at Renault for another year. Fair play, I guess!

So, whilst Magnussen seems bound for Haas and Palmer seems set to stay at Renault, it looks like Ocon is now the driver who is heading over to Force India.

There was an interesting suggestion that there was something of a fight between Mercedes, who wanted Ocon to go to Force India, and FOM, who wanted Nasr to go to Force India (believing that it would consolidate their viewing figures in Brazil if he went to a more competitive team, especially with Massa leaving the sport). If that was a trial of their relative strengths, it would seem to suggest that Mercedes came out on top in that situation.
Martin Brundle, on watching a replay of Grosjean spinning:
"The problem with Grosjean is that he want to take a look back at the corner he's just exited"
CoopsII

Post by CoopsII »

Ataxia wrote:

That just about caps it off for me. I predicted we'd Brexin, I predicted Clinton would win and I predicted Maggie would get beaten to death in The Walking Dead.

I'm shite.
Just For One Day...
andrew

Post by andrew »

Palmer only really got the Renualt drive as others were nkt available such as sainz and Perez. I fully expect the Hulk to destroy Him, Ocon is a shoe in for Force India unless FOM get their way. Sauber may not change although I feel Antonio Giovanzzi could get that seat alongside Erricson. Kmag, Grosjean is a seriously strong lineup for Haas
solarcold

Post by solarcold »

I predicted Brexit, I predicted Trump win, I never watched Walking Dead, but THIS...

I mean, what was their reasoning to hesitate to keep KMag on-board again? Who on earth would prefer Jolyon to Kevin? Okay Renault, fine, now Kevin will beat Jolyon, the only difference being he will be in Haas. Big deal.

<spoiler>i dislike jolyon palmer</spoiler>
"Here's your car. Go nuts."
Dallara, 2010
Yannick

Post by Yannick »

Surprised to see Palmer keep his ride. When is the last time this has happened to a strong ROTY candidate? Well, stranger things have happened, I guess. :chilton:
"I don't think we should be used to finance (the manufacturers') R&D because they will produce that engine anyway" said Monisha Kaltenborn.
"You will never see a Mercedes using a Ferrari engine or the other way round."
FullMetalJack
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by FullMetalJack »

Yannick wrote:Surprised to see Palmer keep his ride. When is the last time this has happened to a strong ROTY candidate? Well, stranger things have happened, I guess. :chilton:

Gutierrez kept his Sauber seat after being 2013 ROTY, and he was comprehensively annihilated by Hulkenberg that year. Palmer has been much closer to Magnussen, and had been quicker at times.

I'd say Palmer just about deserves a second chance, I don't think he's been as bad as people claim.
Last edited by FullMetalJack on 09 Nov 2016, 20:54, edited 1 time in total.
Meatwad

Post by Meatwad »

I'm not over the moon about Palmer keeping his seat, but I don't think it's an injustice either. I can't really see why he's so badly regarded. After an underwhelming start to the season, he has looked like a proper F1 driver. Recently, he has outpaced Magnussen several times (at least in qualifying) and scored a point – no mean feat when Magnussen has also finished in points just twice all season. Especially when there's one driver with more experience, a better car over the season and zero points... Palmer also brings money to the team so retaining him makes sense.
mario

Post by mario »

solarcold wrote:I predicted Brexit, I predicted Trump win, I never watched Walking Dead, but THIS...

I mean, what was their reasoning to hesitate to keep KMag on-board again? Who on earth would prefer Jolyon to Kevin? Okay Renault, fine, now Kevin will beat Jolyon, the only difference being he will be in Haas. Big deal.

<spoiler>i dislike jolyon palmer</spoiler>

There were rumours that Renault thought that Magnussen performed quite badly off track in his technical debriefings due to a lack of organisational skills (a bit like his father in that respect), as well as being a bit lazy. Still, the talk is that Renault did offer Magnussen a one year deal (even if they weren't hugely impressed by him), and it was Magnussen who turned them down because Haas had offered him a two year deal instead.

I guess that it is coming from the fact that Renault has failed to secure any of the drivers they were rumoured to have spoken to - Red Bull were quick to secure Sainz Jr., Ocon has stayed loyal to Mercedes, who are rumoured to have eased him into a seat at Force India, Bottas wasn't budging from Williams and Magnussen spurned their offer to him.

As FullMetalJack and Meatwad note, whilst Palmer's extension is a little underwhelming, like Palmer himself, at the same time he has at least shown signs of improvement over the latter part of this season. I'd agree that, although he seems to have been far from Renault's first choice for the seat, he's at least shown enough of an upward trajectory on his development curve to justify keeping him on, even if it is just as a stop gap for 2017 (which, If Magnussen was offered just a one year deal, is what I suspect is the case).
"The problem with Grosjean is that he want to take a look back at the corner he's just exited"
Ataxia
Not Important

Post by Ataxia »

I think most people here know how I'd have felt if Sirotkin got the second seat alongside Hulkenberg.

Damn it, Renault, this could have happened.
TomWazzleshaw

Post by TomWazzleshaw »

Ataxia wrote:I think most people here know how I'd have felt if Sirotkin got the second seat alongside Hulkenberg.

They could have also gone with my boy Ollie Rowland or Louis Deletraz :(
Biscione wrote:"Some Turkemenistani gulag repurposed for residential use" is the best way yet I've heard to describe North / East Glasgow.
andrew

Post by andrew »

Wizzie wrote:
Ataxia wrote:I think most people here know how I'd have felt if Sirotkin got the second seat alongside Hulkenberg.

Renualt have an army of young drivers and yet didn't go for any of them. At least red bull use the drivers on their programme
FullMetalJack
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by FullMetalJack »

Another piece of the puzzle complete.

golic_2004

Post by golic_2004 »

Well we shall see how the #2 guy (in reference to his GP3 streak) does there.
Williams in the last few years http://imgur.com/sNFFMYF
Benetton

Post by Benetton »

I believe Bottas has been more or less tied to Williams for 2017, his last year of his current contract with them, and it's possible Williams and Renault couldn't find an agreement over 2017. Williams really need Bottas for continuity for 2017. However, I wouldn't be surprised if Bottas has already signed a deal with Renault for 2018 onwards. Renault would then get their preferred line-up of Hülkenberg and Bottas when they are expected to be competitive again.

Regarding Renault I am not at all surprised that they've gone for Palmer. It brings continuity and Palmer is atleast a known quantity. Palmer knows he's been given a lifeline and his Formula One career depends on how he does against Hülkenberg in 2017.

Lance Stroll will be interesting to watch to say the least. He has done well so far in junior formulae but man he is young. And he is not talentwise even close to Verstappen in my opinion. I feel that Williams could slip really down the order in 2017 if they only have Bottas scoring the points.

Ocon going to Force India more or less means Wehrlein is staying put at Manor. The other Manor will go to [INSERT PAY DRIVER HERE]. I hope Sauber will go for a completely new line-up. However, I wouldn't be surprised to see Nasr retained since that is continuity, sponsorship, and a Brazilian driver on the grid (Bernie negotiating). Really outside the box thinking is going for Gustav Malja (b. 1995). He really improved his form during the latter part of the GP2 series this year (his first in GP2). And he is Swedish.
mario

Post by mario »

andrew wrote:
Wizzie wrote:

Renualt have an army of young drivers and yet didn't go for any of them. At least red bull use the drivers on their programme

At the moment, the drivers they have on the books are Oliver Rowland, Louiz Deletraz, Jack Aitken and Kevin Joerg - out of those, I think the only one who would be allowed to apply for a superlicence would be Rowland (I believe that the rest would fall short of the minimum points requirement).

At the moment, though, it looks like Renault are focussing more on steadying the ship and consolidating the team - in that respect, waiting for a while before bringing in one of their new drivers isn't such a bad idea.

Benetton wrote:Lance Stroll will be interesting to watch to say the least. He has done well so far in junior formulae but man he is young. And he is not talentwise even close to Verstappen in my opinion. I feel that Williams could slip really down the order in 2017 if they only have Bottas scoring the points.

To be honest, I'm expecting them to slip down the order anyway - the upcoming regulations, which have opened up more avenues for aero development, are unlikely to favour Williams given that their aero department has been on the weaker side in recent years.