RIP Manor Racing (2010-2017)

The place for speaking your mind on current goings-on in F1
Ataxia
Not Important

Re: The Manor Marussia Thread

Post by Ataxia »

CaptainGetz12 wrote:If Manufacturers don't have much to gain in such a high-cost sport, then why are Ferrari and Mercedes involved? They clearly have a ton of influence with both teams an engines. My guess would be to help develop technologies for road cars and other racing series (as Ferrari has done since the 1980s at the earliest).

I didn't entirely say that; what I was alluding to was that any manufacturers currently outside of the sport may now consider it of limited value. Currently we have Ferrari, Mercedes, Renault and Honda all involved as manufacturers and, if you were someone like VW or Toyota, you would probably expect them to take the stance that it's a little too saturated with other OEMs. How much value were the likes of Honda or Toyota getting out of F1 in 2007/8?

Right now, Mercedes are getting plenty of value out of being in F1, and Ferrari's marketing strategy has always used F1 at its core. Renault and Honda are longer-term projects, and all manufacturers have a common benefit of being able to develop these new hybrid systems and modify them for use in road vehicles.
Mitch Hedberg wrote:I want to be a race car passenger: just a guy who bugs the driver. Say man, can I turn on the radio? You should slow down. Why do we gotta keep going in circles? Man, you really like Tide...
Waris

Post by Waris »

Could a miracle be on the cards yet?

https://thejudge13.com/2017/01/27/manor-already-rising-from-its-ashes/

This blog article goes a bit more in-depth into the acquisition process, but I have no idea how reliable or well-sourced it is, it doesn't mention any sources.

thejudge13 wrote:CGF has advised their client to do an extensive due diligence. Lawyers have been contracted to do this work, and they involve the same names as Fitzpatrick used when acquiring the team himself.

The process is taking it’s time though. A big red flag is the fact that Manor has been involved in the fatal accident with Jules Bianchi. The lawyers are looking into possible liability surrounding this (and other) accidents. Since this matter is complex, the lawyers have contacted external parties and are considering their views.

thejudge13 wrote:They hope in the next few days that the independent due diligence will be complete and that they have will have a clearer picture of where they stand.

Ups-and-downs follow each other at a racing pace. What clear is, is that CGF bid hasn’t failed nor has it stalled.

Is there any truth to this, or is it just wishful thinking from someone who doesn't know what they're talking about?

Edit: Joe Saward is onto it now too. https://joesaward.wordpress.com/2017/01/28/so-what-happened-at-manor/
MOTOR RACING IS DANGEROUS
CoopsII

Post by CoopsII »

To be fair, Joe Saward makes a good point when he says..

One can blame everything on the fact that the prize money does not cover the costs of competing in F1, but if it did, there would always be teams simply cruising along, the owners being there just for the parties that surround F1 and not really caring about the racing.

As frustrating as it seems we can all remember various characters who wanted to be in F1 for the wrong reasons over the years.

Wait, who just said Flavio Briatore?!?!?
Just For One Day...
Benetton

Post by Benetton »

The pictures of Manor's 2017 car made me think that the new cars are way less radical in design than I thought they would be.
tommykl

Post by tommykl »

Benetton wrote:The pictures of Manor's 2017 car made me think that the new cars are way less radical in design than I thought they would be.

I think loads of people thought the teams would design cars with the aim of aggressive looks for fans.

What we'll end up with is cars that barely look any different but make overtaking many times more difficult. Add to that no change in engines, and you have a recipe for more casual fan complaints. Social media comment sections will not be improving this year.
kevinbotz wrote:Cantonese is a completely nonsensical f*cking alien language masquerading as some grossly bastardised form of Chinese

Gonzo wrote:Wasn't there some sort of communisim in the East part of Germany?
AustralianStig

Post by AustralianStig »

tommykl wrote:What we'll end up with is cars that barely look any different but make overtaking many times more difficult.

I still hold out hope that the newly shaped front wings will direct the airflow laterally to the point that it will be easier to follow. However, that would of course make running side by side pretty interesting...
Join the GP Rejects league at Fantasy F1: https://fantasy.formula1.com/join/?=2a1f25

CoopsII wrote:
Biscione wrote:To the surprise of no-one, Daniil Kvyat wins ROTR for Sochi, by a record margin that may not be surpassed for some time.

I always knew Marko read this forum.
pasta_maldonado
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by pasta_maldonado »

AustralianStig wrote:
tommykl wrote:What we'll end up with is cars that barely look any different but make overtaking many times more difficult.

I still hold out hope that the newly shaped front wings will direct the airflow laterally to the point that it will be easier to follow. However, that would of course make running side by side pretty interesting...

Well, side by side a la Mansell and Senna wouldn't be affected as you don't need downforce to drive in a straight line :vergne:
Klon wrote:more liek Nick Ass-idy amirite?
Waris

Post by Waris »

Check this out. Some Italian (with a nice surname) started a crowdfunding campaign to buy the remnants of the team. He claims to be in contact with Capital GF. https://www.generosity.com/sports-fundraising/save-manor-racing-team
FullMetalJack
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by FullMetalJack »

Waris wrote:Check this out. Some Italian (with a nice surname) started a crowdfunding campaign to buy the remnants of the team. He claims to be in contact with Capital GF. https://www.generosity.com/sports-fundraising/save-manor-racing-team

When you said Italian with nice surname, I expected something along the likes of Tarquini, Zanardi, Pantano etc.
I like the way Snrub thinks!
Bobby Doorknobs

Post by Bobby Doorknobs »

FullMetalJack wrote:
Waris wrote:Check this out. Some Italian (with a nice surname) started a crowdfunding campaign to buy the remnants of the team. He claims to be in contact with Capital GF. https://www.generosity.com/sports-fundraising/save-manor-racing-team

When you said Italian with nice surname, I expected something along the likes of Tarquini, Zanardi, Pantano etc.

La Vita è bella...

I hope I don't have to explain that to anyone...
#FreeGonzo
solarcold

Post by solarcold »

Simtek wrote:
FullMetalJack wrote:

La Vita è bella...

I hope I don't have to explain that to anyone...

This is GPRejects. Of course you don't
"Here's your car. Go nuts."
Dallara, 2010
Waris

Post by Waris »

Again this news pops up. I want to believe http://www.grandprix247.com/2017/02/02/finger-lickin-good-glimmer-of-hope-for-manor/

Pretty sure Sean Gelael isn't eligible for a superlicense though. But perhaps the FIA can be bribed.
Nessafox
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Nessafox »

Waris wrote:Again this news pops up. I want to believe http://www.grandprix247.com/2017/02/02/finger-lickin-good-glimmer-of-hope-for-manor/

Pretty sure Sean Gelael isn't eligible for a superlicense though. But perhaps the FIA can be bribed.

Sean has officially signed for 'Pertamina Arden' in GP2 now, and doesnt even come close to having a superlicence. But maybe they can try for another driver that was sponsored by Jagonya Ayam! last year: a certain Giovinazzi. In the meantime keeping Haryanto as an indonesian stop-gap in the other car.
I don't know what i want and i want it now!
TomWazzleshaw

Post by TomWazzleshaw »

This wrote:
Waris wrote:Again this news pops up. I want to believe http://www.grandprix247.com/2017/02/02/finger-lickin-good-glimmer-of-hope-for-manor/

Sean has officially signed for 'Pertamina Arden' in GP2 now, and doesnt even come close to having a superlicence. But maybe they can try for another driver that was sponsored by Jagonya Ayam! last year: a certain Giovinazzi. In the meantime keeping Haryanto as an indonesian stop-gap in the other car.

Sean's old man Riciardo's the head honcho at KFC Indonesia, so if there's any deal to be done, Sean will absolutely be involved somewhere, Arden contract or not. Gio just happens to have the good fortune of being best mates with Sean.

Funny how these things work sometimes :lol:
Biscione wrote:"Some Turkemenistani gulag repurposed for residential use" is the best way yet I've heard to describe North / East Glasgow.