Your Reject of the Race - Canada

The place for speaking your mind on current goings-on in F1
Londoner

Your Reject of the Race - Canada

Post by Londoner »

1. Carlos Sainz Jr - You can't crowd a car out like that on the first lap. Another spectacularly dumb move from him. :facepalm:

2. Sergio Perez - Should've taken one for the team and let Ocon by. There was a podium for the taking and his selfishness meant Force India squandered it.

Honourable mention to Honda, as per standard procedures.
Fetzie on Ferrari wrote:How does a driver hurtling around a race track while they're sous-viding in their overalls have a better understanding of the race than a team of strategy engineers in an air-conditioned room?l
golic_2004

Re: Your Reject of the Race - Canada

Post by golic_2004 »

1. Same
2. Same plus the words "That dense m____f____"
Williams in the last few years http://imgur.com/sNFFMYF
good_Ralf

Post by good_Ralf »

1) Perez Image
2) Sainz
Check out the position of the sun on 2 August at 20:08 in my garden

Allard Kalff in 1994 wrote:OH!! Schumacher in the wall! Right in front of us, Michael Schumacher is in the wall! He's hit the pitwall, he c... Ah, it's Jos Verstappen.
UncreativeUsername37

Post by UncreativeUsername37 »

1. Carlos Sainz — There were a few blatant mistakes today, but there's no excuse for that one...
2. Red Bull-Renault — If you're going to have so many mechanical failures, you could at least give each driver their fair share
Rob Dylan wrote:Mercedes paying homage to the other W12 chassis by breaking down 30 minutes in
Dj_bereta

Post by Dj_bereta »

Easy there:

1 - Sainz jr: Almost caused a pile up for turning into Grosjean. Funny enough, he did it in the same way Grosjean did to Hamilton in the 2012 Belgian Grand Prix. As result, Massa was take out of the race. Easy ROTR.

2 - Palmer: Completely hopeless. Even Stroll did something today. I have a feel he is going to be replaced before the end of the year.

Special mention:

Hamilton's hair: Man, just shave it. Looks ridiculous.
Perez: He was a completely dick and cost Force India a shot at podium, but it's racing. He is not wrong.
Waiting for Lotus hiring Johnny Cecotto jr.
mario

Post by mario »

1. Sainz Jr - putting Grosjean onto the grass once was bad enough, but then cutting across the track to hit him was a rash move by a driver who was just getting a bit too hot headed there. We'll see what the stewards make of it after the race, but I wouldn't be surprised if he ends up with a penalty for that.

2. Honda - Alonso's failure just before the end was bad enough, but the whole race weekend was a bit of a mess given that there was confusion over whether Honda was going to be bringing a performance update for this race, then making a late decision to postpone it that had the press all over Hasegawa trying to work out what was going on. With Ojjeh being seen in long meeting with Lauda and Wolff this weekend, having been seen in quite a few meetings with Dr Zetsche in Monaco, the odds of McLaren switching to a Mercedes customer deal seem to be shortening quite rapidly.

Dishonourable mentions: Perez - even though the final result he scored was actually fairly reasonable, his refusal to yield to the orders from the team arguably cost them a better shot at the podium, or at the very least might have given Ocon a slightly better chance of holding off Vettel.

Kvyat - whilst his initial problems off the line weren't his fault, the mistake in not taking his correct grid slot and the subsequent penalty was a bit of a silly error, compounding what was a somewhat difficult weekend after his mistakes in qualifying that damaged the car. That said, the decision by the stewards to add a second penalty on top of the first one was a bit of a strange error - I don't recall anything like that happening in recent times.
Martin Brundle, on watching a replay of Grosjean spinning:
"The problem with Grosjean is that he want to take a look back at the corner he's just exited"
Alextrax52

Post by Alextrax52 »

1 Sergio Perez: Ocon could have had a great podium finish if Sergio wasn't so stubborn. Let's not forget that Force India don't get many podium chances and his selfishness wasted a golden one

2 Force India: This may raise a few eyebrows but I feel Force India's lack of podium challenging nous reared their head here. Someone should have put their foot down and ordered Checo to give way immediately with those fresher tyres Ocon had instead of letting driver and engineer negotiate how long they had to challenge. The net result was Ricciardo ultimately escaped and Vettel got both of them.

HM's
Marshals: From falling over to their best Irish jig impressions. The Marshals were more bonkers than usual

Kimi Raikkonen: yes he had those late brake woes but a dismal opening 2 laps set the tone for a lacklustre race.

Max Verstappen's battery: Mercedes had the race won the moment that failed.

Carlos Sainz: That accident was your fault. Did you just expect no one would be there when turning in?

Jolyon Palmer: I'm seeing fans are happy that he was just out of the points. Really? 5 quicker cars retired, 2 others were delayed with accidents and penalties and he was quicker than 3 others and he still finished out the points.
Aislabie

Post by Aislabie »

10 points - HONDA
That was particularly poor timing, even by Honda standards. Plus, it nearly gave Palmer a point.

6 points - SERGIO PEREZ
I know he's a racing driver and that he doesn't want to yield his position. Tough shite. It's a team game.
Aguvazk

Post by Aguvazk »

1. Toro Rosso, all the team (Kvyat, Sainz, the pit crew, the car, all) they did all wrong, period.
2. Pérez, Checo: this is a team sport ( it's really a team sport, besides drivers get the most credit) so, let Ocon tried, man!
Hm, Alonso luck ( maybe he push too much the engine...but it's his style)
I'm not a serious person
FullMetalJack
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by FullMetalJack »

1. Carlos Sainz - Cost Massa a chance at some good points.
2. Sergio Perez - Be a team player ffs

Dishonourable mention to Honda - Image
I like the way Snrub thinks!
BigG80

Post by BigG80 »

1. Sainz. Every race weekend where he gets bigged up as the next great driver, he seems to do something really stupid. I know that's an exaggeration but he really needs to get these things under control to earn that top seat. He is a seriously good driver but he's blotting his copy book.

2. Perez. I'm a fan but he really annoyed me today. Even though it gave Danny Ric a podium which is always good, I wanted to see Ocon go toe to toe with Ricciardo but no, Perez drives like a pig and blows it. His defence was insanely harsh against a team mate too. He must have been able to do the maths and see what was happening.

DHM to Crofty. I don't normally moan about him too much but the double standards compared to Monaco were appalling.
Meatwad

Post by Meatwad »

1. Carlos Sainz, Jr.: His second silly crash with a Williams driver this season.
2. Honda: Every time one of the McLaren drivers is about to finish in the points, something goes wrong. The third time this season that Alonso's car failed from a top 10 position near the end of the race.
Fetzie

Post by Fetzie »

Sainz, for his completely avoidable crash.

Honda,for continuing to supply engines that cannot last a race distance.

HM: Perez,because he stopped ocon from getting a chance at a podium.
HM 2: Hamilton's barber
RAK

Post by RAK »

1) Carlos Sainz, Jr.: Careless crash right at the start of the race.

2) Honda: Oh dear. I mean, it wasn't hard to see coming, but Alonso's not going to stick around forever when their engines keep going before the finish.
Predicament Predictions Champion, 2011, 2018, 2019

They weren't the world's most competent team,
In fact, to be believed, their results must be seen,
Lola,
M-Mastercard Lola,
L, O, L, A, Lola!
lance_rambert

Post by lance_rambert »

1. Carlos Sainz, Jr. - A rather stupid move on the first lap.

2. Sergio Perez - F**ked over Ocon out of a podium position. Also undoubtedly the Dick Move of the Race.

Dishonorable Mentions:
Honda - At least break down after Alonso crosses the fine for once. :facepalm:
Hendrick Motorsports[' Brakes] - 3/4 cars DNFed at Pocono due to brake failures. Did Rick decide to take Haas' surplus supply of brakes known for giving Grosjean constant migraines?
Bobby Doorknobs

Post by Bobby Doorknobs »

1. The stewards - Kicking Kvyat while he's down for their own mistake (although the rules are probably airtight in this sort of situation).

2. Sainz - Really has a tendency to be absolutely brilliant or a bit of a mess. Sad to see the latter this time.

I'm not entirely convinced Ocon had the speed to seriously challenge Ricciardo, so will cut Pérez some slack (though I do concede that Vettel probably should not have gotten past so easily) and there's not really any point in voting for Honda anymore. Palmer did okay but not brilliant (admittedly it's hard to judge when he's barely even been in shot at any given moment) and the marshals really should be exempt from any vote unless they do something that is genuinely ridiculous and not something that could happen to anyone (see: China 2015).
#FreeGonzo
Samster

Post by Samster »

1. Carlos Sainz - Way to look in the mirrors. :facepalm:

2. Sergio Perez - A suborn idiot who may have overhauled Verstappen (who surprisingly is yet to piss me off this season) as my 2nd least favourite driver on the grid (Lewis is 1st), they would at least have had a better opportunity to hold off Vettel if Perez had just let Ocon by once he started getting alongside him. Why defend so aggressive against a teammate when you have already been asked to let him by. :facepalm:

Honorable mention - Honda for denying Alonso a point in the final two laps. Alonso, you may as well just hand your notice in now. :facepalm:
Salamander

Post by Salamander »

1. Dale Earnhardt Jr - He shifted from 3rd to 2nd on the longest straight in NASCAR and grenaded his engine. Twice.

2. Tony Kanaan - wrecked half the field like a dumbass at Texas. He's supposed to be one of the most experienced drivers out there.
Sebastian Vettel wrote:If I was good at losing I wouldn't be in Formula 1.
Everything's great.
I'm not surprised about anything.
This Could Be You

Post by This Could Be You »

RoTR:

1. Sainz Jr.: An avoidable crash that, while partially instigated by contact with Grosjean, was his own fault and brought a abrupt end to a notably poor run this weekend.

2. Perez: Selfishness and a refusal to acknowledge team orders cost Force India vital points and a chance at a podium for his teammate.

DHM:
McHonda: come on, it's like they are just trying to torture Alonso now!
Verstappen's engine: spoiled what could have been a decent battle for 2nd.
Palmer: Still mediocre, still no improvement, while others like Vandoorne and Stroll are making great strides forward. Just put Siroktin/Vergne/Kubica in already!
Your Signature Here

Named after HRT, now on HRT
CarloSpace
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by CarloSpace »

1 - Honda. They just keep throwing results out the window and the top speed is just ridiculous on the track like this.

2 - The stewards. I just can't understand why they hadd to penalise Kvyat twice? He did the drive-through so why couldn't they just add 10 secs to his finishing time instead of forcing him to do a s/g penalty?
SuzukiSwift

Post by SuzukiSwift »

RAK wrote:1) Carlos Sainz, Jr.: Careless crash right at the start of the race.

2) Honda: Oh dear. I mean, it wasn't hard to see coming, but Alonso's not going to stick around forever when their engines keep going before the finish.

Alonso is already gone.
WeirdKerr
Location: on the edge of nowhere with a ludicrous grid penalty.....

Post by WeirdKerr »

that :facepalm: hat under the bridge
Bleu

Post by Bleu »

CarloSpace wrote:2 - The stewards. I just can't understand why they hadd to penalise Kvyat twice? He did the drive-through so why couldn't they just add 10 secs to his finishing time instead of forcing him to do a s/g penalty?

It was a 10-second penalty he got - was serving it on the stop where he had other troubles.

Originally he should have given 10-second stop/go, but by a mistake by the stewards he got drive through and 10 seconds time penalty.
lance_rambert

Post by lance_rambert »

Time to count up the results...

1. Carlos Sainz, Jr. - 132
2. Sergio Perez - 74
3. Honda - 38
4. The stewards - 16
5. The loose hat - 10
- Dale Earnhardt, Jr. - 10
- Scuderia Toro Rosso - 10
8. Force India-Mercedes - 6
- Jolyon Palmer - 6
- Red Bull-TAG Heuer - 6
- Tony Kanaan - 6

The coveted Reject of the Race award for Canada goes to Carlos Sainz! Showing some shade of Romain Grosjean's old first lap nutcase tendencies, Sainz managed to take himself and the rather unfortunate Felipe Massa out of contention on lap one. Perhaps Sainz should have thought about leaving Grosjean a little more room, so that maybe he could have scored points in lieu of Kvyat after his engine failed.

However, runner-up Sergio Perez doesn't get to go without a few wagging fingers, most notably for costing Force India and teammate Esteban Ocon a potential shot at a podium finish.