2017 British Grand Prix - ROTR Thread

The place for speaking your mind on current goings-on in F1
Ataxia
Not Important

2017 British Grand Prix - ROTR Thread

Post by Ataxia »

I'm not voting in this thread for obvious reasons, my heart already hurts. However, please feel free to deliver your kickings in this thread.

#JusticeForKvyat
Mitch Hedberg wrote:I want to be a race car passenger: just a guy who bugs the driver. Say man, can I turn on the radio? You should slow down. Why do we gotta keep going in circles? Man, you really like Tide...
Nuppiz
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: 2017 British Grand Prix - ROTR Thread

Post by Nuppiz »

1. Kvyat
2. Kvyat

Just to make you hurt more. :deletraz:
Eurosport broadcast for the 1990 Mexican GP prequalifying:
"The Life, it looked very lifeless yet again... in fact Bruno did one, slow lap"
golic_2004

Post by golic_2004 »

1. Ferrari's left front tyre at the end of the race
2. Kvyat: for the love of HWNSNBM
Williams in the last few years http://imgur.com/sNFFMYF
This Could Be You

Post by This Could Be You »

1. Kvyat: broke the first rule of racing and then tried to blame it on Sainz, who was arguably the innocent party of the two in what resembled an extremely unfortunate racing incident. I wouldn't be that surprised if Gasly is in the car by Spa...
2. Pirelli: 2013 all over again...
Your Signature Here

Named after HRT, now on HRT
Fetzie

Post by Fetzie »

1. Left-front tyre wear on the Ferraris.
2. Kvyat

HM: Lewis Hamilton's haircut.
Alextrax52

Post by Alextrax52 »

1: Ferrari Strategists: I was so tempted to put Ferrari's front left tyre but the reason I haven't is because I think Sebastian's blow out was completely avoidable. They should have pitted him immediately either after the big lock up or when Seb complained about the blistering. Worst case scenario being he'd have finished no lower than 5th and would have taken 3rd given Kimi's blowout and Max's stop. Instead it's Belgium 2015 all over again

2 Danill Kvyat: What a completely stupid move that was. Your excuse was just as bad. Maybe if you'd yielded then the 2 of you wouldn't have clashed. Another nail in his coffin and I honestly can't see him surviving after 2017

HM's

Jolyon Palmer's car: Palmer has improved a lot since his miserable outing in Spain and with the extra buzz this weekend I was certain he'd pick up points given Hulkenberg's showing around here. Too bad his car decided not to cooperate

Sauber drivers: One day you two are going to crash. I'll put it out there now

Kimi's puncture: Ruined a sure 2nd place which would have been rich reward for being the faster Ferrari today
Dj_bereta

Post by Dj_bereta »

1- Daniil "first lap nutcase" Kvyat: If he keeps with his antics, he is going to get a race ban for sure. Third race in-a-row he made a mistake and second race in-a-row wrecking someone.

2- Ferrari: For the puncture party in the end of the race;
Waiting for Lotus hiring Johnny Cecotto jr.
Bobby Doorknobs

Post by Bobby Doorknobs »

Freeze-O-Kimi wrote:1: Ferrari Strategists: I was so tempted to put Ferrari's front left tyre but the reason I haven't is because I think Sebastian's blow out was completely avoidable. They should have pitted him immediately either after the big lock up or when Seb complained about the blistering. Worst case scenario being he'd have finished no lower than 5th and would have taken 3rd given Kimi's blowout and Max's stop. Instead it's Belgium 2015 all over again

Aaaaanyway:

1. Either Ferrari or Pirelli, depending on the outcome of their investigation.

2. Dani y
#FreeGonzo
WeirdKerr
Location: on the edge of nowhere with a ludicrous grid penalty.....

Post by WeirdKerr »

1. Kvyat :facepalm:
2. Pirelli tyres

HM Stomach virus that sidelined Martin Brundle
Meatwad

Post by Meatwad »

1. Daniil Kvyat: Followed up a race where he took out a Red Bull with one where he took out his team mate (and essentially ruined the weekend for Toro Rosso). I think it's just a question of time when we see Gasly driving his car...
2. Scuderia Ferrari: Two punctures one lap after each other is just ridiculous. They may have given Mercedes the championships right there!
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

1. Vettel's Pirelli tyre
2. Kimi's Pirelli tyre
watka wrote:I find it amusing that whilst you're one of the more openly Christian guys here, you are still first and foremost associated with an eye for the ladies!
dinizintheoven wrote:GOOD CHRISTIANS do not go to jail. EVERYONE ON FORMULA ONE REJECTS should be in jail.
MCard LOLA
mario

Post by mario »

Freeze-O-Kimi wrote:1: Ferrari Strategists: I was so tempted to put Ferrari's front left tyre but the reason I haven't is because I think Sebastian's blow out was completely avoidable. They should have pitted him immediately either after the big lock up or when Seb complained about the blistering. Worst case scenario being he'd have finished no lower than 5th and would have taken 3rd given Kimi's blowout and Max's stop. Instead it's Belgium 2015 all over again

2 Danill Kvyat: What a completely stupid move that was. Your excuse was just as bad. Maybe if you'd yielded then the 2 of you wouldn't have clashed. Another nail in his coffin and I honestly can't see him surviving after 2017

HM's

Jolyon Palmer's car: Palmer has improved a lot since his miserable outing in Spain and with the extra buzz this weekend I was certain he'd pick up points given Hulkenberg's showing around here. Too bad his car decided not to cooperate

Sauber drivers: One day you two are going to crash. I'll put it out there now

Kimi's puncture: Ruined a sure 2nd place which would have been rich reward for being the faster Ferrari today

I have to agree with both of your nominations in that order, and with a similar reasoning.

Whilst some here have nominated Pirelli, there were many other drivers in the field who managed stints that were just as long as what the Ferrari drivers managed, and many of them also maintained a far more consistent pace during their stints. Bottas managed 32 laps on the softs in the opening stint of the race, for example, and many other drivers in the top ten managed comparable length stints on their softs (Hamilton, Hulkenberg, Ocon) - Magnussen managed the longest stint at 37 laps, and his times were still improving right up until the end of his stint.

I wouldn't be entirely surprised if Ferrari's problems, in part, may have come if they biased their set ups towards the supersoft tyres. They did bring an unusually high number of those tyres for this weekend (nine sets), suggesting that their strategy relied on starting from the front and then tried to dictate the pace from there - thus leading them to bias their set up towards single lap pace.

The supersoft tyres, IIRC, have a higher working temperature range than the soft tyres, so it is possible that the front suspension was set up to generate more lateral scrubbing to generate more heat into the front tyres - at the very least, given both Ferrari drivers were complaining of heavy blistering on their front tyres, it suggests they had major issues with front tyre temperatures.

In the case of Raikkonen, Pirelli have suggested that his tyre may have suffered from delamination - the carcass itself seems to have remained intact, with only the outermost layers debonding from the carcass - which could possibly be a thermally induced failure.

Incidentally, although Vettel said over the radio that he saw no signs of his tyre failure happening, perhaps the pit wall should have been more concerned. After Vettel had that heavy lock up whilst trying to defend from Bottas, his lap times worsened quite rapidly - in just three laps, he went from 1m32's to 1m34's, and although they initially stabilised, he was back into the 1m35's when the tyre finally let go.

Now, in his case it may be that lock up caused structural damage to the tyre that caused his eventual puncture - still, when you look at his times, it's noticeable that his times worsened much more rapidly than other drivers on similar strategies did, pointing towards a set up issue.

In some ways, Ferrari may have gone into this weekend with a flawed strategy that ultimately cost both drivers - at the very least, I do agree that Ferrari perhaps should have played it safe with Vettel given the generous buffer he had behind him to pit and rejoin, rather than taking a gamble when his times and his complaints over the radio was pointing towards a second stop.

As for Kvyat, he's rapidly gaining a reputation as an accident prone driver - that is surely not doing his confidence any good, and it seems that the more his confidence sinks, the more prone to pressure induced mistakes he becomes on track. As you say, it seems increasingly unlikely he will stay on after this season - I can even see him being sacked during this season if patience wears thin at Red Bull.

Incidentally, I do agree that it feels like a question of when, not if, the two Sauber drivers will take each other out - there seems to be little love lost between them on track, and we've seen a few races where they've already made light contact with each other (including this one, I believe).
Martin Brundle, on watching a replay of Grosjean spinning:
"The problem with Grosjean is that he want to take a look back at the corner he's just exited"
dinizintheoven

Post by dinizintheoven »

In the absence of any better ideas - other than some Italian tyres - I'll go for some alternative candidates.

Ten points go to that American bloke who did the podium interviews. So, uh, Lewis, dude, what'll you do next? Like, totally, win the championship? Like, y'know, whatever. Dude. Where's my car? Beavis & Butt-Head would have done a better job.

Six points go to the England Test cricket team, who have forgotten how to play Test cricket, swinging the pendulum completely the opposite way to the ODI squad for the 2015 World Cup who forgot how not to play Test cricket. A dishonourable mention on that front to Channel 5 commentator Karm Nicholas, who is under the impression that South Africa have a player (currently suspended) called Kasigo Rabada. It's almost as annoying as F1 commentators and pundits referring to the almost-certainly-ROTR for Silverstone as Daniil Kivy At.
James Allen, on his favourite F1 engine of all time:
"...the Life W12, I can't describe the noise to you, but imagine filling your dustbin with nuts and bolts, and then throwing it down the stairs, it was something akin to that!"
Aislabie

Post by Aislabie »

10 points - Toro Rosso
Obvious reasons.

6 points - Low-deg tyres
You should not be able to do half a race on the quali tyres. The middle tyre should then not be so hard to get heat into that they blister and die.
Enforcer
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Enforcer »

1st. Ferrari Front Tires: Is it the car? Is it the tire? Is it the setup? Who knows for now, but it turned 2nd & 4th into 3rd & 7th in 90 seconds.

2nd. Kyvat: Sainz didn't turn in on you.
Last edited by Enforcer on 16 Jul 2017, 22:25, edited 1 time in total.
Spectoremg

Post by Spectoremg »

1. Kvyat. There was a time when I had some sympathy for him but he seems determined to write his own resignation letter.
2. Farmer Palmer's tractor.

HM. Ferrari's momentum which has died the death. Mercedes are outpacing them again.
Ataxia
Not Important

Post by Ataxia »

Nuppiz wrote:1. Kvyat
2. Kvyat

Just to make you hurt more. :deletraz:

Mitch Hedberg wrote:I want to be a race car passenger: just a guy who bugs the driver. Say man, can I turn on the radio? You should slow down. Why do we gotta keep going in circles? Man, you really like Tide...
lance_rambert

Post by lance_rambert »

1. Scuderia Toro Rosso - I find it too easy to place all the blame on the Russian Torpedo for being the one that made the contact ending his teammate's and (almost) Kevin Magnussen's race, while Dani himself escaped relatively unscathed. As much as I'd like to fuel the fire for kicking Kvyat to the curb, I'd say that incident sits on both the Red Bull B-team boys, despite what the trigger-happy Danny Sullivan et al. think.

2. Ferrari's supply of Pirelli left front tires - Thanks for making me paranoid by showing shades of that farcical 2013 race.
UncreativeUsername37

Post by UncreativeUsername37 »

1. Tarmac runoff areas. Stowe in particular was a joke.
2. The direction. For most of the race, almost every overtake was onboard or a replay.
HM to Vettel's puncture, because for those two minutes my prediction scores were awesome.
Rob Dylan wrote:Mercedes paying homage to the other W12 chassis by breaking down 30 minutes in
CoopsII

Post by CoopsII »

1 - Kvyat. Clearly he's not being paying attention to us on here.
2 - Renault. F**k Hulkenberg, when you bitch about your driver not achieving in your car and then your car brakes down before the start, guess what, that makes you look stupid.
Just For One Day...
James1978

Post by James1978 »

1. Kvyat - the new Maldonado?

2. Ferrari's tyre problems - OK I fely sorry for Kimi as he did deserve 2nd having outpaced his teammate all weekend, but couldn't help feeling Schadenfreude for Vettel after Baku. :)

Other dishonourable mentions:

Renault for Palmer's car, give him a chance at least!
Force India drivers - they just can't keep away from sharing the same piece of tarmac can they?
Sauber drivers - similar
"Poor old Warwick takes it from behind all throughout this season". :) (Tony Jardine, 1988)
CarloSpace
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by CarloSpace »

1. Ferrari's tyres
2. Kvjat
novitopoli
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by novitopoli »

1. Kwjat - This is the pinnacle of motorsport, yet there are drivers which are still able to linger here only due to the lck of viable alternatives.
2. Pirelli - Awful tyres. Not only for the punctures.
sw3ishida wrote:Jolyon Palmer brought us closer as a couple, for which I am grateful.

Ataxia wrote:
Londoner wrote:Something I've thought about - what happens to our canon should we have a worldwide recession or some other outside event?

We'll be fine. It's Canon, non Kodak.
yannicksamlad
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by yannicksamlad »

1. Renault; there's only a max of 20 starters these day, so to lose one before the start...when you're a well funded professional outfit and Palmer has already had numerous issues ....

2. Ferrari..something went wrong with their tyre management and I'm not convinced it was more Pirelli's fault than Ferrari's ( although I'm not sure we really know the detail of the causes of the failures , so I might be being a bit harsh)

I'm not going to blame Kvyat too much - he may have been trying to give a little room to Sainz on the approach as he'd just been overtaking him, and that put him a bit wide and onto the left kerbs ( which gave him the wobble) , but he might have been ok , with a wobble or two, if Sainz hadnt still been alongside. If Kvyat had backed out of the pass, or if Sainz had backed off once Kvyat drew ahead, then theyd have misssed each other. So - not a terrible mistake ( just a mistake) .
I started supporting Emmo in 1976 (3 points )....missed 75, 74, 73, 72...
Ciaran

Post by Ciaran »

1. Daniil Cyka Bly-sorry, Kvyat
  2. Ferrari

HM: Red Bull's strategists, for letting down a €5 bet I had on Max to finish on the podium.
Manager of Calsonic Team Impul in Formula E, K-Apex in PES & Eurasian F3 and Mitsuoka in Alt-F1 '76.
My career mode thread - 1988: AGS (19pts, 9th) // 1989: Arrows (25pts, 8th, 1 win!)
You'll never DNF if you always DNPQ. #RollSafe
Rob Dylan

Post by Rob Dylan »

Results are in! (can you tell I am having a lazy Sunday?)

1 Daniil Kvyat 136
2 Combined tyre-blaming nominations 91

3 Combined Ferrari-blaming nominations 39
4 Combined Renault-blaming nominations 22
5 Toro Rosso 20
6 Owen Wilson 10
- Tarmac runoff areas 10
8 The England Test Cricket Team 6
- Race direction 6

And Daniil Kvyat wins his second ROTR in a row. In my own opinion I'm not sure whether it was entirely Kvyat's fault, but with his performances being so poor as of late, blame was naturally apportioned to the struggling Russian. While it delights those on this forum to have such rejectful performances regularly at hand, it is likely not doing much to promote his stance within the Red Bull faculty, and his future is looking increasingly shaky. The runner-up nomination was for the offending tyres, which caused a lot of worry for most of the spectators in their threat to give us a repeat of that famous 2013 race.
Murray Walker at the 1997 Austrian Grand Prix wrote:The other [Stewart] driver, who nobody's been paying attention to, because he's disappointing, is Jan Magnussen.
Felipe Nasr - the least forgettable F1 driver!