Why Isn't This Bigger News?

The place for speaking your mind on current goings-on in F1
Wallio
Site Donor
Site Donor

Why Isn't This Bigger News?

Post by Wallio »

http://www.skysports.com/f1/news/12433/ ... ok-out-for

Torro Rosso to become Honda factory team in 2018 and slowly breakaway from RBR. Sky, NBC, Drivetribe, thejudge, all reporting it, but no "big sites" and no official word. How can STR becoming an actual independent team (and a factory one to boot) be hidden so well? Shouldn't this be bigger news? Or did I miss something??
Professional Historian/Retired Drag Racer/Whiskey Enthusiast

"He makes the move on the outside, and knowing George as we do, he's probably on the radio right now telling the team how great he is." - James Hinchcliffe on George Russell
UncreativeUsername37

Re: Why Isn't This Bigger News?

Post by UncreativeUsername37 »

Wallio wrote:How can STR becoming an actual independent team (and a factory one to boot) be hidden so well? Shouldn't this be bigger news? Or did I miss something??

Well, your source isn't saying that.

Sky Sports wrote:Is the expected Honda engine deal the first step towards Toro Rosso becoming Honda's 'works' team? Maybe, maybe not.

Sky Sports wrote:The smart money, then, is on Red Bull becoming Honda's de facto works team in 2020 or even 2019.

But is it equally feasible to foresee a situation in two or three years' time where Toro Rosso have become Honda, and Red Bull - and not Toro Rosso - are the junior party with a customer supply of Honda engines?
Rob Dylan wrote:Mercedes paying homage to the other W12 chassis by breaking down 30 minutes in
Wallio
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Wallio »

UgncreativeUsergname wrote:
Wallio wrote:How can STR becoming an actual independent team (and a factory one to boot) be hidden so well? Shouldn't this be bigger news? Or did I miss something??

Correct, I mixed up my sources. Judge is saying that:

https://thejudge13.com/2017/09/11/deal- ... -for-2018/

"He makes the move on the outside, and knowing George as we do, he's probably on the radio right now telling the team how great he is." - James Hinchcliffe on George Russell
Bobby Doorknobs

Post by Bobby Doorknobs »

Wallio wrote:
UgncreativeUsergname wrote:

Correct, I mixed up my sources. Judge is saying that:

https://thejudge13.com/2017/09/11/deal- ... -for-2018/

"Now the deal has been done, Toro Rosso will likely begin the slow disentanglement from Red Bull and become the works Honda team. Interesting times ahead."

They haven't elaborated on that any further, nor provided any source from which that conclusion can reasonably be drawn. While I wouldn't be totally surprised if Honda took over Toro Rosso completely a few years down the line, there doesn't seem to be anything to indicate that's what will happen right this moment.
#FreeGonzo
AndreaModa

Post by AndreaModa »

Reading thejudge13.com is like watching a three year old trying to pin the tail on the donkey blindfolded and facing the wrong way. With no pin. Or donkey.
I want my MTV...Simtek Ford

My Motorsport Photos

@DNPQ_
mario

Post by mario »

AndreaModa wrote:Reading thejudge13.com is like watching a three year old trying to pin the tail on the donkey blindfolded and facing the wrong way. With no pin. Or donkey.

Yes, that particular site has developed a reputation for being more speculative than bitcoin investments, with a reliability rating about the same as the current Honda power unit.

As things stand, all that can be reasonably established is that Red Bull seem to be prepared to sign a deal through Toro Rosso with Honda. I suppose that Toro Rosso could be called a "works" team in the sense that it would be a team that is the primary partner of an automotive manufacturer.

Still, that relationship currently looks like it will be rather different to the relationship that McLaren has with Honda right now - there were sites such as Autosport which suggested that Honda wanted to provide far less support to Toro Rosso than they do to McLaren, which would be the complete opposite policy to that which thejudge13 has claimed.
Martin Brundle, on watching a replay of Grosjean spinning:
"The problem with Grosjean is that he want to take a look back at the corner he's just exited"
Wallio
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Wallio »

mario wrote:
AndreaModa wrote:
Still, that relationship currently looks like it will be rather different to the relationship that McLaren has with Honda right now - there were sites such as Autosport which suggested that Honda wanted to provide far less support to Toro Rosso than they do to McLaren, which would be the complete opposite policy to that which thejudge13 has claimed.

I imagine they would since Honda was McLaren's title sponsor as well, AND paid the drivers salaries, according to various sources. Still they had offered Sauber free engines, and I can't imagine Torro Rosso would settle for less than that. The Red Bull Academy picks up the drivers tabs, so that shouldn't be an issue.