Your Reject of the Race - America

The place for speaking your mind on current goings-on in F1
Londoner

Your Reject of the Race - America

Post by Londoner »

1. Haas - Ran like garbage at their home race. Wait, this is just fake news from the biased and failing media! Haas had a great weekend, such a big weekend. They know races, they have the best races. Such a great day, it's awesome.

2. Kyle Larson's engine, and by extension the NASCAR Chase system - One of the best performers this year will now not be challenging for the title. Thanks, Brian France. :facepalm:

Honourable mention to David Coulthard for still going along with the "Mercedes have a difficult car" line. Yes, because 10 (now 11) wins this season is evidence of a difficult car. :badoer:
Fetzie on Ferrari wrote:How does a driver hurtling around a race track while they're sous-viding in their overalls have a better understanding of the race than a team of strategy engineers in an air-conditioned room?l
Klon
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: Your Reject of the Race - America

Post by Klon »

1. Liberty Media - moving qualifying for a concert does not speak well of the value of your product.

2. Kevin Magnussen - way to drive like a total tit.
Wallio
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Wallio »

Stewards- only choice really. Bathplugged up a great and exciting finish and ruined the race. Obviously overtaking is illegal in F1. Unreal.
Professional Historian/Retired Drag Racer/Whiskey Enthusiast

"He makes the move on the outside, and knowing George as we do, he's probably on the radio right now telling the team how great he is." - James Hinchcliffe on George Russell
This Could Be You

Post by This Could Be You »

RoTR:
1. Haas: Anonymous, right until being crashed into.
2. Renault (as an engine supplier): Before the race: "ahead of reliability targets" After the Race: two engine failures, one with a 2017.5 spec engine.
DHM:
Stroll: Dangerous in qualifying, anonymous in the race
Magnussen: Eventually he is going to learn to back off- he keeps getting into accidents, even if they aren't entirely his fault.
Honda: 100% of the races Alonso has started in America this year have ended with an engine failure.
Your Signature Here

Named after HRT, now on HRT
Bobby Doorknobs

Post by Bobby Doorknobs »

1. Kevin Magnussen - Three years on and I'm still seeing a McLaren rookie whose spatial perception seems limited.

2. Making nominations that have no relationship with the Grand Prix whatsoever - I'm just sick of seeing NASCAR-related nominations every other weekend. :P
#FreeGonzo
AdrianBelmonte_

Post by AdrianBelmonte_ »

1- K-Mag: Just go home already...

2- Stroll: Not the best weekend...
#FoxesFansHooligans

#HaasShouldBeSoLucky
TomPryce

Post by TomPryce »

1. THE BATHPLUGGING STEWARDS

2. THE BATHPLUGGING STEWARDS
Remembering a Welsh sporting hero. Pleidiol wyf i'm gwlad.
Fetzie

Post by Fetzie »

All points to the stewards. In particular, that steward.

I don't think there is a single corner that wasn't cut significantly in quali and the race.
mario

Post by mario »

East Londoner wrote:Honourable mention to David Coulthard for still going along with the "Mercedes have a difficult car" line. Yes, because 10 (now 11) wins this season is evidence of a difficult car. :badoer:

Well, it should be said that Coulthard was talking about the Bottas's relative performance at the time - and he might be more inclined to agree with that viewpoint as he seems to be finding things much more difficult on his side of the garage.

Equally, to be fair to Magnussen I would say that the incident between himself and Ericsson was more of a racing incident, and I wouldn't blame Magnussen entirely - Ericsson was coming from a reasonable way back, and Magnussen was probably distracted by Vettel moving back across to the racing line in front of him.

That said, overall he was already not doing great given the earlier clash and the generally poor pace he'd had - the fact that he was struggling to beat Sauber, a team that hasn't developed their car for months whilst Haas were introducing their latest (and final) upgrade package this weekend, whilst Grosjean was little better in terms of performance and his rant over the radio did feel a bit childish (and reminiscent of some of Grosjean's less attractive character traits that I had hoped he'd stopped with).

In that case, the first nomination would be both Haas drivers whilst for the second I would go with Hulkenberg and his car - partly the car, since it was plagued by problems, but partly Hulkenberg himself as he had been driving rather poorly during the practise sessions (making an unusual number of errors), as if he'd let Sainz's move to the team affect his performance.

I guess that the stewards will be getting a lot of nominations, but looking at some of the screenshots it has to be said that Verstappen does seem to have cut the corner by a fairly sizeable margin in the process of passing Kimi. It might not be popular, but I can see why the stewards did take the decision that they did (even if it may not be entirely palatable).
Martin Brundle, on watching a replay of Grosjean spinning:
"The problem with Grosjean is that he want to take a look back at the corner he's just exited"
Meatwad

Post by Meatwad »

1. Haas F1 Team: Awful performance in their home race, one driver beaten by a debutant and the other by a Sauber!
2. (shared, 3 points for each) Honda: How many times has Alonso lost points this year due to the horrible engine?
Pierre Gasly's luck: Misses the F1 race for Super Formula (apparently against his own will), loses pole position (and the point for it) due to a red flag and traffic, and then both races get cancelled, meaning that he loses by half a point. Definitely not his weekend.
James1978

Post by James1978 »

1. That horrible introduction of all the drivers at the start. Totally overblown crap.

2. Bottas - not good for a #2 driver - could have made it more difficult for Vettel to pass too, he just surrendered really easily.

While the Verstappen decision was disappointing, he did have all 4 wheels off the track, and he'd have been asked to give Kimi the place back if it hadn't ben the last lap.
"Poor old Warwick takes it from behind all throughout this season". :) (Tony Jardine, 1988)
Aislabie

Post by Aislabie »

1/ Hahahahahaas - Your car is a boat and your "strong driver pairing" is holding up about as well as tissue paper. The all-American team was an all-American embarrasment.

2/ General decision-making in various series - Gasly robbed of his shot at a Super Formula crown and Max Verstappen robbed of a podium that he completely deserved, inches of tarmac be damned.
Spectoremg

Post by Spectoremg »

Simtek wrote:

[b]2. Making nominations that have no relationship with the Grand Prix whatsoever
- I'm just sick of seeing NASCAR-related nominations every other weekend. :P

This.
Normal32

Post by Normal32 »

1. Liberty Media
2. Aerond
Pasta_maldonado wrote:I think normal32 is an old English farmer re-incarnated
IceG

Post by IceG »

(1) The stewards, really?

(2) The driver intro and general 'Murican razamataz*

* except the pit lane girls, some of whom were clearly following the Pirelli guidelines on inflation pressures :lol:
golic_2004

Post by golic_2004 »

1. Haas: Disappointing home race with neither finishing in the points.

2. Bottas: Quite anonymous compared to Hamilton, the Ferraris and Red Bulls
Williams in the last few years http://imgur.com/sNFFMYF
UncreativeUsername37

Post by UncreativeUsername37 »

1. Bottas - Finishing 5th in the winning car and costing me a lot of prediction points
2. Tarmac runoff areas - Turn 19, turn 10, turn 1, turn 16, turn everything, just put a strip of grass there
Rob Dylan wrote:Mercedes paying homage to the other W12 chassis by breaking down 30 minutes in
Dexter249

Post by Dexter249 »

1. Liberty Media - Nice Culture Victory, Bro!, Too bad this is a Motorsport and not Civilization 5!
2. America Itself - For Watching NASCAR instead of the "Biggest" motorsport event in America.

Honorable Mention to the Design of COTA itself.
FIAT Group, finding loopholes in the FIA rulebook since it's inception.
yannicksamlad
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by yannicksamlad »

1. Magnussen
2.Grosjean

The Haas surely wasnt as bad as it raced, so I am apportioning responsibility to the drivers .And Kevin keeps hitting things and getting the way; which has depressed his performance
I started supporting Emmo in 1976 (3 points )....missed 75, 74, 73, 72...
novitopoli
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by novitopoli »

1. Liberty Media - The pre-race stuff was cringeworthy at best.
2. The stewards - "Hey, we're pushing for good racing, let's punish the only driver who cared to race today for no apparent reason!"
sw3ishida wrote:Jolyon Palmer brought us closer as a couple, for which I am grateful.

Ataxia wrote:
Londoner wrote:Something I've thought about - what happens to our canon should we have a worldwide recession or some other outside event?

We'll be fine. It's Canon, non Kodak.
golic_2004

Post by golic_2004 »

Dexter249 wrote:2. America Itself - For Watching NASCAR instead of the "Biggest" motorsport event in America.

There's also American football (Hand-Egg, as I like to call it), real football, baseball, and basketball going on too. :pantano:
Williams in the last few years http://imgur.com/sNFFMYF
Dexter249

Post by Dexter249 »

golic_2004 wrote:
Dexter249 wrote:2. America Itself - For Watching NASCAR instead of the "Biggest" motorsport event in America.

There's also American football (Hand-Egg, as I like to call it), real football, baseball, and basketball going on too. :pantano:

Remember, This is Texas we're talking about, literal redneck country :pantano:, but yeah, being from Canada, it's a shame to see our Neighbor suffer from, not just F1 being absolute Garbage, but NASCAR as well, Seriously the Pinty's Series has the best racing in all of NASCAR.
FIAT Group, finding loopholes in the FIA rulebook since it's inception.
lance_rambert

Post by lance_rambert »

1. Kevin Magnussen, Romain Grosjean - K-Mag is really starting to show why he's an ex-McLaren junior. I'm starting to lose sympathy for what McLaren did to him, and some. RoGro's showing shades of his same old self that I would have been calling for him to get kicked out of his seat. Poor Gene... his cars should've been up higher in the order.

2. Race Stewards - Wasn't there some sort of "promise" at some earlier point in time that the podium after any given race wouldn't be changed? Never mind screwing Max over, even if he did cut the corner too much.
1993DonningtonNo1Mk2

Post by 1993DonningtonNo1Mk2 »

1. The race stewards! What could Max do? Kimi was forcing him off!
2. Kevin Magnussen
Bleu

Post by Bleu »

1. Haas
2. Kevin Magnussen
WeirdKerr
Location: on the edge of nowhere with a ludicrous grid penalty.....

Post by WeirdKerr »

1. Razzmatazz WTAF this is f1 not some silly "staged" wrestlemania
2. Bottas is looking a bit Meh and dead beat

HM to the fans of a certain driver saying there is a Finnish conspiracy in the stewards
Peteroli34

Post by Peteroli34 »

1. The Prerace driver introductions/show You can tell we are in the USA everything is over the top

People moaning about Verstappen's Penalty - Going from behind the care in front to being in front of said car with all 4 wheels off the track should rightly be a penalty. Lets allow drivers to cut corners to overtake somebody.
mario

Post by mario »

1993DonningtonNo1Mk2 wrote:1. The race stewards! What could Max do? Kimi was forcing him off!
2. Kevin Magnussen

He could also have backed off slightly before he got into that situation.

Speaking of Max though, I have to say that my opinion of him has rather dropped given some of the comments that he made after the race, and in particular reportedly calling Connelly a "mongol" - in other words, calling him mentally retarded by using what is now considered to be a rather derogatory term for somebody with Down syndrome.

I can understand that he is frustrated and might think that Connelly was stupid for penalising him, but I do think that he was taking things a bit too far with those remarks.
Martin Brundle, on watching a replay of Grosjean spinning:
"The problem with Grosjean is that he want to take a look back at the corner he's just exited"
1993DonningtonNo1Mk2

Post by 1993DonningtonNo1Mk2 »

mario wrote:
1993DonningtonNo1Mk2 wrote:1. The race stewards! What could Max do? Kimi was forcing him off!
2. Kevin Magnussen

He could also have backed off slightly before he got into that situation.

Speaking of Max though, I have to say that my opinion of him has rather dropped given some of the comments that he made after the race, and in particular reportedly calling Connelly a "mongol" - in other words, calling him mentally retarded by using what is now considered to be a rather derogatory term for somebody with Down syndrome.

I can understand that he is frustrated and might think that Connelly was stupid for penalising him, but I do think that he was taking things a bit too far with those remarks.

I will admit my words were kind of a knee-jerk reaction but it was still an anti-climatic end to such a thrilling battle but as long as Max doesn't resort to saying offensive comments about Autistic people such as myself, I'll refrain from expecting him to watch his mouth for now.
Rob Dylan

Post by Rob Dylan »

The results from the U.S.A. are in! 17 different nominations, and there sure were a lot of popularly hated things about this race :P

1. Haas 70
2. Stewards 65

3. Kevin Magnussen 53
4. Liberty Media 40
5. The pre-race intro 36
6. Valtteri Bottas 28
7. Romain Grosjean 11
8. Pierre Gasly's luck 9
9. Aerond 6
- Tarmac runoff areas 6
- The United States of America 6
- People moaning about the penalty 6
- Kyle Larson's engine, and by extension the NASCAR Chase system 6
- Renault engines 6
- Making nominations that have no relation with the grand prix whatsoever 6
- Lance Stroll 6
- Nico Hulkenberg / 's car 6

I didn't combine the Haas team and its drivers, because there were different reasons given for the different options people gave. Regardless, Haas ended up winning the ROTR award for their terrible performance at their home race, the exact place they were looking to shine and to appeal to the home crowd. Runner-up were the stewards for their controversial penalty applied to Max Verstappen for his last-lap overtake of Kimi Räikkönen. Not everyone agreed with the ruling, and the handling by the FIA and the Verstappens post-race was poor to say the least. Liberty Media got the brunt of a lot of complaints, whether it was for their product or for their decision to do such an overblown intro to the race. Either way, that didn't appear to be too popular with the forumites either.
Murray Walker at the 1997 Austrian Grand Prix wrote:The other [Stewart] driver, who nobody's been paying attention to, because he's disappointing, is Jan Magnussen.
Felipe Nasr - the least forgettable F1 driver!