QuickSim: Alternate F1 - The Manufacturer Era - 2002 Season

In honour of our fallen comrade. Archive of all previous canon series across all disciplines.
Klon
Site Donor
Site Donor

QuickSim: Alternate F1 - The Manufacturer Era - 2002 Season

Post by Klon »

The Simulator

Simtek wrote:Grand Prix 2, same as what I use for Anglo-Irish F4, same as what Normal uses for F3 Eurasia, what novitopoli and CaptainGetz12 use for their F4 series, what Ataxia uses for IndyCar, what Pasta uses for... look, you get the idea, it's popular, it works, moving on.

The Cars

There will be little deviation from the cars that were run in real F1 in this time period, mostly slight performance adjustments based on the previous performance of a team the season before.

The Drivers

Before the start of each season, you are free to offer contracts for two driver slots.

Your choice will be limited in that you must fulfill two out of three objectives when signing drivers. Those objectives will be given and explained to you in private.

If multiple teams are looking for a certain driver, RNG will decide their fate.

The Teams

11 teams for 2002, 2 cars per team. Those 11 teams have been determined by the needs of the canon and previous developments:

Williams (novitopoli)
Ferrari (biscione)
McLaren (petoli)
Sauber (wizzie)
BAR (This Could Be You)
Jordan (Reject_Dom)
Prost (ataxia)
Jaguar (pinkd56)
Renault (kevinbotz)
Minardi (Normal32)
Toyota (TBA)

If any team owners fail to report back, their replacements will be decided by me in a hopefully fair selection process.

The Race Weekend

305 km except Monaco, you all know how a Formula One race works. Furthermore, there will be two one-hour sessions to determine the grid.

The Points System

10, 6, 4, 3, 2, 1 for the time being.

The Race Calendar

See the wiki for updates

I hereby ask all team owners to report back to the series. Furthermore, for the sake of both quick progress and allowing driver selection, I ask ALL users who own a DEC of a driver that is to compete in the remaining time period of this game (2002-2009) to report in and state their goals, their preferences team-wise and for how long their driver is available. If you wish I can also tell you whether your expectations are realistic. I also request all users interested in Toyota to write a paragraph on whether why you should be given the team.
Dom_Wings

Re: QuickSim: Alternate F1 - The Manufacturer Era - 2002 Sea

Post by Dom_Wings »

Jordan will continue on for 2002.
Join the GPR Discord server! https://discord.com/invite/6YDQ3aV
Ataxia
Not Important

Post by Ataxia »

Sacre-bleu, we survived! Prost will continue into 2002.

However, I won't be at the helm - it's open to someone else.
Mitch Hedberg wrote:I want to be a race car passenger: just a guy who bugs the driver. Say man, can I turn on the radio? You should slow down. Why do we gotta keep going in circles? Man, you really like Tide...
kevinbotz

Post by kevinbotz »

Reinducted Renault will proceed into the 2002 season.

DEC: Rhys Davies

Objectives: WDC, or at least consistent WDC contention. Will be available through to the start of the Current Era.

Preferred Teams: Williams, McLaren
Klon, on Alt-F1 wrote: I like to think it's more poker than gambling, though.
This Could Be You

Post by This Could Be You »

BAR will attempt to keep its 2001 form going in 2002.
Last edited by This Could Be You on 27 Oct 2017, 17:05, edited 1 time in total.
Your Signature Here

Named after HRT, now on HRT
Gertrand Bachot

Post by Gertrand Bachot »

I am interested in taking on the role as Toyota team manager and I believe I should get the job because firstly, I have been working behind the scenes for most of 2001 in the team's testing program and thus I know what challenges the team will face in their first season of competition. Secondly, I have a good idea of who I can sign in terms of drivers for the year. Thirdly, I'm not expecting the team to start winning from the start; rather, I'll be pleased if the team can scrape the odd point or two. Obviously the long term goal would be to win a grand prix, but I am aware it could take several seasons before we are close to achieving that goal. Fourthly, I can manage a team very well if given the right resources and the opportunity. Fifthly, I don't play political games in the F1 world and I generally stick to rules and I do what I am asked to do. So, these are the reasons on why I should become Toyota team manager.

On a side note, Gertrand Bachot is looking for a drive, so if anyone is interested, please let me know.
Bandon23

Post by Bandon23 »

Anthony Barnett (born in June 18, 1980) is looking for a drive in F1, if anyone is interested on him would be good.
Last edited by Bandon23 on 27 Oct 2017, 17:48, edited 1 time in total.
Salamander

Post by Salamander »

Ataxia wrote:Sacre-bleu, we survived! Prost will continue into 2002.

However, I won't be at the helm - it's open to someone else.

If nobody else wants a team doomed to a fatal death, I'll do it. I don't think Alt-F1 Current Era had a really rejectful team of HRT's caliber, so I'll aim to recreate that.
Sebastian Vettel wrote:If I was good at losing I wouldn't be in Formula 1.
Everything's great.
I'm not surprised about anything.
AndreaModa

Post by AndreaModa »

*RACE WINNER* Sammy Jones is looking forward to an even better 2002, and after comprehensively beating 1997 champion Jacques Villeneuve last year, will consider offers from other teams alongside continuing with BAR.

Come on then, who wants him? ;)
I want my MTV...Simtek Ford

My Motorsport Photos

@DNPQ_
Normal32

Post by Normal32 »

Minardi will carry onto 2002.
Pasta_maldonado wrote:I think normal32 is an old English farmer re-incarnated
Peteroli34

Post by Peteroli34 »

The Boys from Woking continue into 2002
V8fan12

Post by V8fan12 »

I'd be interested in managing a team, or going on the waiting list if none become available.
Owner of the Peak Motorsport Group.

Biscione wrote:I mean, Renaldo Jimenez, could you ask for a more world class pay driver? Who even is Alexey Buyvolov, amirite?
pasta_maldonado
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by pasta_maldonado »

I'm very interested in running Toyota for the rest of the time period. I have experience in managing teams across all canon disciplines, and I am willing to do whatever is requested of me in respect of the canon.
Klon wrote:more liek Nick Ass-idy amirite?
TomWazzleshaw

Post by TomWazzleshaw »

Sauber will continue into 2002 after a historic 4th position in the WCC

Also, Daniel Melrose will be looking for a drive in the next few years. The current Australian F3 champion is moving up to British F3 this year, with the ultimate aim of winning the Formula One championship
Biscione wrote:"Some Turkemenistani gulag repurposed for residential use" is the best way yet I've heard to describe North / East Glasgow.
Pinkd56
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Pinkd56 »

Jaaaaaag will return
DemocalypseNow

Post by DemocalypseNow »

Jack Christopherson is happy at McLaren, but still harbours ambitions of one day racing for Williams, one of his favourite teams. After that, who knows. Maybe CART beckons, much like fellow (almost) Brummie Nigel Mansell?

Giovanni Roda is currently plying his trade in Italian F3, hoping one day he might make his big break with Minardi, as many Italians before him have done....

Ferrari also has a keen eye on his young Daniel Melrose fellow, and will see how he does through the junior ranks...
Novitopoli wrote:Everytime someone orders at Pizza Hut, an Italian dies.
Novitopoli wrote:Juve's Triplete: Calciopoli, doping & Mafia connections.

Image Image
Pilot

Post by Pilot »

I'm also very interested in running Toyota. I might not have the most experience like others, but, here's a chance and I'll take it.
Biscione wrote:Can you stop being such a snowflake for five minutes?
novitopoli
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by novitopoli »

kevinbotz wrote:Reinducted Renault will proceed into the 2002 season.

DEC: Rhys Davies

Objectives: WDC, or at least consistent WDC contention. Will be available through to the start of the Current Era.

Preferred Teams: Williams, McLaren

Williams will be back, of course.
And we'd like to retain Davies (if driver goals play in our cards, ofc).
sw3ishida wrote:Jolyon Palmer brought us closer as a couple, for which I am grateful.

Ataxia wrote:
Londoner wrote:Something I've thought about - what happens to our canon should we have a worldwide recession or some other outside event?

We'll be fine. It's Canon, non Kodak.
Klon
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Klon »

After careful consideration, I have decided to award Toyota to Pilot and Prost to Salamander. I want to stress that I truly appreciate anyone who has thrown their hat into the ring. I will now proceed to individually message the team owners with the new driver selection process.

DEC owners entering their plans for mid-00s F1 drivers are still appreciated.
Klon
Site Donor
Site Donor

2002 Season Preview - 'Till I Collapse

Post by Klon »

BMW WilliamsF1 Team

#1: Ralf Schumacher (Germany): 2001 Formula 1 World Champion, 6 Career Wins
#2: Rhys Davies (Australia): 2x Australian Formula 3 Champion, 2 Career Wins

Retaining their lineup that managed to win both championships last season, BMW-Williams will be eager to strike again. Some argue that this is the strongest lineup in the sport today with Rhys Davies being predicted to quickly join his teammate in the world champions' club.

Scuderia Ferrari Marlboro

#3: Michael Schumacher (Germany): Won at least 3 races each year since 1998, 9 Poles in 2001
#4: Giancarlo Fisichella (Italy): Won 2001 Italian Grand Prix, 9 Career Podiums

Michael Schumacher has had nothing but genuine congratulations to his brother for winning last year's title. However, his family loyalty will not carry over into 2002. MSC wants his third championship with Ferrari and with a great rear gunner in Fisichella, he may achieve that goal.

West McLaren Mercedes

#5: James James Davies (United Kingdom): 1992 Life Grand Prix Series Champion, 5 Wins w/ McLaren
#6: Nick Heidfeld (Germany): 1999 Formula 3000 Champion, 34 Career Starts

With Mika Häkkinen enjoying time off from the sport and Jack Christopherson moving on as well, the classic British squad has decided to go with a fresher lineup: James James Davies rejoins McLaren after two years at Jordan and is joined by uprising Mercedes-backed Nick Heidfeld.

Red Bull Sauber Petronas

#7: David Coulthard (United Kingdom): 1991 Macau Grand Prix Winner, 2 Podiums in 2001
#8: Felipe Massa (Brazil): 2001 Euro Formula 3000 Champion, Born in São Paulo

The surprising world-beaters from 2001, Sauber look to continue their upwards swing by retaining David Coulthard. He is paired with Felipe Massa, whom some feel is simply too young to be given a Formula One seat; he is eager to prove those suggestion wrong.

Lucky Strike BAR Honda

#9: Sammy Jones (United Kingdom): 2001 German Grand Prix winner, 52 career starts
#10: Justin Wilson (United Kingdom): 2001 International Formula 3000 Champion, 193 cm tall

Coming off their surprising debut win at the German Grand Prix, BAR is looking to take their game to the next level. David Richards has come in and made a major move in sacking 1997 champion Jacques Villeneuve, replacing him with Justin Wilson. Is that a good move?

DHL Jordan Honda

#11: Kimi Räikkönen (Finland): 2001 Formula Renault 2000 Eurocup Champion, Nicknamed "The Iceman"
#12: Takuma Sato (Japan): 2001 British Formula 3 Champion, First Japanese F1 driver since 1998

Jordan had a down year in 2001, losing their status as contender for race wins. With a near-rookie lineup, the Irish team is looking to turn fortunes around. Now that their engines are actual work Honda engines, it remains to see whether the lineup can live up to the hype.

Prost Grand Prix

#14: Franck Montagny (France): 2001 Open Telefónica by Nissan Champion, Test Driver for Prost since 1999
#15: Tomáš Enge (Czech Republic): First Czech F1 driver, Recreational marijuana user

Despite severe financial issues, Prost GP is still in F1 because of a good WCC payout. However, their issues leave their future very much in doubt. Relying on sponsorship brought in by Enge, who is backed by Coca-Cola, we will have to find out whether the team is even around by the end of the year.

Jaguar Racing F1 Team

#16: Pedro de la Rosa (Spain): 2 Career Wins, Tested for Stewart Grand Prix in 1998
#17: Mark Webber (Australia): 1998 Suzuka 1000km Winner, Fan of Sunderland A.F.C.

Eddie Irvine insanely walked away from a multi-million dollar deal to take some time off after being disappointed with consecutive 8th place finishes by Jaguar. He is not the only one, Ford surely expected more from their squad. With two talented drivers, this year, they may achieve more.

Mild Seven Renault F1 Team

#18: Fernando Alonso (Spain): 2001 Race of Champions Nations Cup winner, Son of a explosives factory worker
#19: Jenson Button (United Kingdom): Finished on podium in Formula 1 debut, Frome Community College alumni

After a miserable final season, the Benetton Arrows team and name is no more. Instead, Renault has arrived, taking their spot and Mild Seven sponsorship. Renault look to improve the team massively and use an exciting young driver pair to sell many Renault Scénic II.

European Minardi Asiatech

#20: Rubens Barrichello (Spain): Tested for McLaren in 2000, Son Eduardo was born in 2001
#21: Luca Badoer (Italy): 1992 Formula 3000 Champion, Drove for Minardi in 2001

Minardi has an experienced lineup and a functional engine. So why should you not expect a great run in 2002? Well, their lack of funding is gonna severly hurt their chances of improving their car, which will most likely not be the most powerful out of the gate either.

Panasonic Toyota Racing

#22: John Zimmer (Australia): 11 Career Starts, Owns Australian Formula Ford Series team ZimSport
#23: Allan McNish (United Kingdom): 1998 Le Mans 24 Hours winner, Long-time F1 test driver

Toyota has all the tools to succeed. A high budget, a great and long testing run and two competent drivers. John Zimmer has spend 2001 building up Toyota's F1 effort after being sacked by Minardi in their quest for sponsorship money, he is joined by well-versed Allan McNish.
Last edited by Klon on 25 Nov 2017, 19:57, edited 1 time in total.
Klon
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Klon »

Qantas Australian Grand Prix Qualifying
Qantas Australian Grand Prix Race (Fastest Lap: Rhys Davies, BMW-Williams - 1:29.454)
Petronas Malaysian Grand Prix Qualifying
Petronas Malaysian Grand Prix Race (Fastest Lap: Michael Schumacher, Ferrari - 1:38.962)
Gran Premio Warsteiner di San Marino Qualifying
Gran Premio Warsteiner di San Marino Race (Fastest Lap: Michael Schumacher, Ferrari - 1:23.040)
Gran Premio Marlboro de España Qualifying
Gran Premio Marlboro de España Race (Fastest Lap: Michael Schumacher, Ferrari - 1:20.308)
Großer A1 Preis von Österreich Qualifying
Großer A1 Preis von Österreich Race (Fastest Lap: Michael Schumacher, Ferrari - 1:11.720)
Grand Prix de Monaco Qualifying
Grand Prix de Monaco Race (Fastest Lap: Fernando Alonso, Renault - 1:17.808)
Klon
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Klon »

Grand Prix Air Canada Qualifying
Grand Prix Air Canada Race (Fastest Lap: Michael Schumacher, Ferrari - 1:15.612)
Großer Warsteiner Preis von Europa Qualifying
Großer Warsteiner Preis von Europa Race (Fastest Lap: Michael Schumacher, Ferrari - 1:31.570)
Mobil 1 Grand Prix de France Qualifying
Mobil 1 Grand Prix de France Race (Fastest Lap: Michael Schumacher, Ferrari - 1:14.644)
Foster's British Grand Prix Qualifying
Foster's British Grand Prix Race (Fastest Lap: Giancarlo Fisichella, Ferrari - 1:22.553)
Großer Mobil 1 Preis von Deutschland Qualifying
Großer Mobil 1 Preis von Deutschland Race (Fastest Lap: James James Davies, McLaren-Mercedes - 1:17.861)
TomDilain

Post by TomDilain »

It might be late, but it's be appreciated if someone can put Victor Roche and/or Arthur Roche (both are French, twin brothers, 22 yo) in their test driver seat. For storyline purposes. Take one of them or both, that's fine :D

And maybe put me on the waiting list in case someone decided to step off from their managerial responsibility.

Thank you.
Last edited by TomDilain on 23 Nov 2017, 15:17, edited 1 time in total.
Dexter249

Post by Dexter249 »

I'll go on the waiting list,
If I CAN take Toyota, I will.
FIAT Group, finding loopholes in the FIA rulebook since it's inception.
Pilot

Post by Pilot »

Dexter249 wrote:I'll go on the waiting list,
If I CAN take Toyota, I will.

I already have Toyota... :)
Biscione wrote:Can you stop being such a snowflake for five minutes?
Klon
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Klon »

Marlboro Magyar Nagydij Qualifying
Marlboro Magyar Nagydij Race (Fastest Lap: Michael Schumacher, Ferrari - 1:15.835)
Foster's Belgian Grand Prix Qualifying
Foster's Belgian Grand Prix Race (Fastest Lap: Michael Schumacher, Ferrari - 1:45.888)
Gran Premio Campari d'Italia Qualifying
Gran Premio Campari d'Italia Race (Fastest Lap: Michael Schumacher, Ferrari - 1:22.874)
Grande Prêmio Nextel do Brasil Qualifying
Grande Prêmio Nextel do Brasil Race (Fastest Lap: Michael Schumacher, Ferrari - 1:09.146)
SAP United States Grand Prix Qualifying
SAP United States Grand Prix Race (Fastest Lap: Giancarlo Fisichella, Ferrari - 1:12.484)
Fuji Television Japanese Grand Prix Qualifying
Fuji Television Japanese Grand Prix Race (Fastest Lap: Michael Schumacher, Ferrari - 1:36.884)
This Could Be You

Post by This Could Be You »

Here are the final championship standings, minus the Brazilian GP results which are missing (that would be understandable if this was 2003, but it's a bit of a problem here... :P ) EDIT: it's fixed now:

WDC
1. M. Schumacher 136
2. R. Davies 69
3. Fisichella 66
4. R. Schumacher 45
5. J. Davies 39
6. Heidfeld 22
7. Alonso 17
8. Coulthard 9 (Best Result: 1x3rd, 1x4th)
9. Button 9 (Best Result: 1x3rd, 3x5th)
10. Raikkonen 7
11. Wilson 6
12. Zimmer 4
13. Jones 3 (Best Result: 1x4th)
14. Sato 3 (Best Result: 1x5th)
15. Bourdais 3 (Best Result: 3x6th)
16. Barrichello 2
17. Lotterer 1 (Best Result: 1x6th, 2x9th)
18. Webber 1 (Best Result: 1x6th, 1x9th)

WCC
1. Ferrari 202
2. Williams-BMW 114
3. Mclaren-Mercedes 61
4. Renault 26
5. Sauber-Petronas 12
6. Jordan-Honda 10
7. BAR-Honda 9
8. Toyota 4
9. Minardi-Asiatech 2 (Best Result: 1x5th)
10. Jaguar-Cosworth 2 (Best Result: 2x6th)
11. Prost-Mercedes 0 (Best Result: 1x8th)

(To be honest, BAR has had a pretty dire year, though at least we've managed to score a podium in every season since 2000, although I wasn't expecting Wilson to score it)
Last edited by This Could Be You on 25 Nov 2017, 21:20, edited 4 times in total.
Your Signature Here

Named after HRT, now on HRT
Klon
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Klon »

This Could Be You wrote:Here are the final championship standings, minus the Brazilian GP results which are missing (that would be understandable if this was 2003, but it's a bit of a problem here... :P )

I fixed that one.
Dom_Wings

Post by Dom_Wings »

This Could Be You wrote:3. R. Davies 63

Actually, 69 :)

Which makes Williams' point total on 114.
Join the GPR Discord server! https://discord.com/invite/6YDQ3aV