Bahrain GP Race Discussion

The place for speaking your mind on current goings-on in F1
thehemogoblin

Re: Bahrain GP Race Discussion

Post by thehemogoblin »

shinji wrote:Loss of power! Unforeseen difficulties!

Again, hard luck to that man, poor Vettel. Renault have killed his race seemingly.

Nobody has ever confused Red Bull with Reliabull.
DemocalypseNow

Post by DemocalypseNow »

For the love of HWNSNBM, please make this Monaco 1982 all over again. Or I'll have wasted 2 hours of my life.
Novitopoli wrote:Everytime someone orders at Pizza Hut, an Italian dies.
Novitopoli wrote:Juve's Triplete: Calciopoli, doping & Mafia connections.

Image Image
CarlosFerreira

Post by CarlosFerreira »

Alonso doing a push to show Massa who's the boss?
Stay home, Colin Kolles!
Libertango

Post by Libertango »

Hulkenberg's the only rookie left?
LucaPacchiarini

Post by LucaPacchiarini »

kostas22 wrote:For the love of HWNSNBM, please make this Monaco 1982 all over again. Or I'll have wasted 2 hours of my life.

I don't ththink it was that bad... or was it? :roll:
..I'm the member number 666 on this forum... I'm doomed to rejectdom
"Giovanni Lavaggi Draiver is a big, bigger than people think"
(Giancarlo Minardi, on his former driver Giovanni Lavaggi)
thehemogoblin

Post by thehemogoblin »

kostas22 wrote:For the love of HWNSNBM, please make this Monaco 1982 all over again. Or I'll have wasted 2 hours of my life.

There was a post-pit-stop pass for the lead. That's downright outrageous compared to what usually happens.
shinji
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by shinji »

thehemogoblin wrote:

There was a post-pit-stop pass for the lead. That's downright outrageous compared to what usually happens.

It was because of mechanical difficulties. Order is restored.

BTW, James Allen is back in the press conferences.
*Presses mute button*
Better than 'Tour in a suit case' Takagi.
XurizManson

Post by XurizManson »

CarlosFerreira wrote:Alonso doing a push to show Massa who's the boss?

:(
Yes. Massa´s career is doomed now. Hopefully he can get a Renault or other 'Minor League' seat for next season (back to Sauber, maybe?). It´s sad to any brazilian tifosi to assume that, but Massa became the new Rubens Barrichello - 2nd furevah!

- Aboot the race - Poor Vettel... his talent brought him to the pole, not Liz. Webber proves it.
Thank God, i was wrong about Rosberg - a slap at Schumi´s face! Claps for Fondmetal Team Malaysia for the reliability of the car.
midgrid

Post by midgrid »

XurizManson wrote:

Yes. Massa´s career is doomed now. Hopefully he can get a Renault or other 'Minor League' seat for next season (back to Sauber, maybe?). It´s sad to any brazilian tifosi to assume that, but Massa became the new Rubens Barrichello - 2nd furevah!

18/19 races to go.
"One day Bruno told me that he had heard the engine momentarily making a strange sound; his suspicion was that all the cylinders had been operating."
--Nigel Roebuck
eytl
F1 Rejects Founder

Post by eytl »

Hmmmmm ...

Hmmmmm ...

HMMMMM ...

I've had one phrase in my mind all race. "Damp squib."

:? :(
shinji
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by shinji »

That countdown seems kinda like a waste of time now...

Roll on 2011!
Better than 'Tour in a suit case' Takagi.
XurizManson

Post by XurizManson »

shinji wrote:That countdown seems kinda like a waste of time now...

Agreed. Alonso is a monster. Massa have little chances to beat him. Brazil needs a new hero, and the rookies can play this role in a near future. Alonso himself debuted in a Minardi.
mario

Post by mario »

thehemogoblin wrote:
shinji wrote:Loss of power! Unforeseen difficulties!

Again, hard luck to that man, poor Vettel. Renault have killed his race seemingly.

Nobody has ever confused Red Bull with Reliabull.

From the onboard radio, it seems that one of exhaust banks cracked, causing a drop in power. But despite that loss in power, and being quite vulnerable on the straights, salvaging a 4th place from that is quite impressive - especially since he was actually pulling away from Rosberg in the last few laps. Brundle suggests that Vettel deserves the driver of the day award, and I think that he could well be right.
As for Rosberg, he was a bit of a letdown - Hamilton pulled away from his quite easily after the stops. In fact, Mercedes weren't as fast as had been hoped - I suspect that Button might have been able to lap a bit quicker had he not got stuck behind Michael (and to be fair to Michael, his race pace was much stronger then his qualifying pace, as he was fairly close to Rosberg towards the end).
Ferrari must have been going pretty close to the limit on their cooling - when Alonso tried to slipstream Vettel earlier in the race, he immediately had to back off and cool the car down, and both drivers were getting warnings that they were overheating. Considering how he had to back off earlier, I suspect that Vettel might have been able to hold off Alonso if reliability hadn't intervened. On the other hand, given that Ferrari made a precautionary engine change for both of their drivers, they might have a few problems with engines towards the end of the season.
But, reliability asides, it looks like Vettel for Red Bull and the two Ferrari's are going to be the ones to beat, possibly with Hamilton following but some way back (as Mclaren are struggling a bit).
And not a bad result for Liuzzi either - 9th place is a respectable result, and now worth 2 points thanks to this new points system. Could well be a Force India - Williams battle for best of the rest behind the big 4 teams.

Finally, hats off to the Lotus team - they might not have been the fastest of the new teams, but they were the only ones who made it to the finish (albeit barely in the case of Trulli, thanks to his hydraulic problems). And Heikki set his fastest time on the final lap, getting to within 4 seconds of Alonso's fastest lap - which is pretty respectable.
But, that makes it 4 of the new teams who suffered from hydraulics and gearbox problems - Glock stuck in gear, di Grassi and Senna both out with hydraulic problems and Trulli limping to the finish (and although being classified, not even making it to the start-finish line). I think that the problem here might not be entirely of their own doing, however - all of the new teams happen to be using the same gearbox supplier (Xtrac), which I believe also supplies their hydraulic system - and there were a few rumours before the season that the Xtrac unit wasn't up to the job.

midgrid wrote:
XurizManson wrote:

18/19 races to go.

Agreed - just because Alonso won this race doesn't automatically mean that he is a dead cert and that Massa is doomed to fail. There is still a long way to go, and accidents, mechanical failures and poor judgement calls could all well swing things in either driver's favour.
Martin Brundle, on watching a replay of Grosjean spinning:
"The problem with Grosjean is that he want to take a look back at the corner he's just exited"
McDuck

Post by McDuck »

ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

This was one of the most boring races that I have ever seen.
The USA is three meals away from chaos.
Klon
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Klon »

McDuck wrote:ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

[exaggerating rant]It is helpful for enjoying Formula 1 to not have the attention span of a drugged goldfish. If you want stupid pointlessness in form of overtaking watch MotoGP and if you want crazy crashes watch Pro Wrestling, just get out of F1...[/exaggerating rant]
Popi_Larrauri

Post by Popi_Larrauri »

mario wrote:
From the onboard radio, it seems that one of exhaust banks cracked, causing a drop in power. But despite that loss in power, and being quite vulnerable on the straights, salvaging a 4th place from that is quite impressive - especially since he was actually pulling away from Rosberg in the last few laps. Brundle suggests that Vettel deserves the driver of the day award, and I think that he could well be right.
As for Rosberg, he was a bit of a letdown - Hamilton pulled away from his quite easily after the stops. In fact, Mercedes weren't as fast as had been hoped - I suspect that Button might have been able to lap a bit quicker had he not got stuck behind Michael (and to be fair to Michael, his race pace was much stronger then his qualifying pace, as he was fairly close to Rosberg towards the end).
Ferrari must have been going pretty close to the limit on their cooling - when Alonso tried to slipstream Vettel earlier in the race, he immediately had to back off and cool the car down, and both drivers were getting warnings that they were overheating. Considering how he had to back off earlier, I suspect that Vettel might have been able to hold off Alonso if reliability hadn't intervened. On the other hand, given that Ferrari made a precautionary engine change for both of their drivers, they might have a few problems with engines towards the end of the season.
But, reliability asides, it looks like Vettel for Red Bull and the two Ferrari's are going to be the ones to beat, possibly with Hamilton following but some way back (as Mclaren are struggling a bit).
And not a bad result for Liuzzi either - 9th place is a respectable result, and now worth 2 points thanks to this new points system. Could well be a Force India - Williams battle for best of the rest behind the big 4 teams.

Finally, hats off to the Lotus team - they might not have been the fastest of the new teams, but they were the only ones who made it to the finish (albeit barely in the case of Trulli, thanks to his hydraulic problems). And Heikki set his fastest time on the final lap, getting to within 4 seconds of Alonso's fastest lap - which is pretty respectable.
But, that makes it 4 of the new teams who suffered from hydraulics and gearbox problems - Glock stuck in gear, di Grassi and Senna both out with hydraulic problems and Trulli limping to the finish (and although being classified, not even making it to the start-finish line). I think that the problem here might not be entirely of their own doing, however - all of the new teams happen to be using the same gearbox supplier (Xtrac), which I believe also supplies their hydraulic system - and there were a few rumours before the season that the Xtrac unit wasn't up to the job.

Agreed - just because Alonso won this race doesn't automatically mean that he is a dead cert and that Massa is doomed to fail. There is still a long way to go, and accidents, mechanical failures and poor judgement calls could all well swing things in either driver's favour.

+1
Winners have lots of friends, losers have good friends.
XurizManson

Post by XurizManson »

f1-gast

Post by f1-gast »

Ferrari :D

I was crying when i saw Alonso and Massa on the podium and played the songs.
my gf was asking why i was crying, she doesn't understand it.
==ROBIN FRIJNS FOR SAUBER IN 2014==
Founder of unracedf1.com and a formula 1 fan since 1994 :) !
http://www.facebook.com/UnracedF1
PWNSNBM

Post by PWNSNBM »

RESULTS 2010 FORMULA 1 GULF AIR BAHRAIN GRAND PRIX

Pos Driver Team Laps
-----------------------------
1 ALO Ferrari 49
2 MAS Ferrari 49
3 HAM McLaren 49
4 VET Red Bull 49
5 ROS Mercedes 49
6 MSC Mercedes 49
7 BUT McLaren 49
8 WEB Red Bull 49
9 LIU Force India 49
10 BAR Williams 49
11 KUB Renault 49
12 SUT Force India 49
13 ALG Toro Rosso 49
14 HUL Williams 48 + 1 Lap
15 KOV Lotus 47 + 2 Laps
16 BUE Toro Rosso 46 - DNF
17 TRU Lotus 46 - DNF
18 DLR Sauber 28 - DNF
19 SEN HRT 17 - DNF
20 GLO Virgin 16 - DNF
21 PET Renault 13 - DNF
22 KOB Sauber 11 - DNF
23 DIG Virgin 2 - DNF
24 CHA HRT 1 - DNF

Post-Mortems:

1) Cowboy's first bottom-shelf outing - his car gave up on him.
2) Teams to go kaput: Virgin (16 laps); HRT (17 laps); Sauber (28 laps).
3) It seems Australia's Mark Webber has decided to take over Kimi's role as Adrian Sutil's nemesis; his 1st lap puff pretty much rearranged P's 9 to 12.
4) If Bahrain's stats are anything to go by, then tires are a non-issue: low attrition rate, 1 pit stop, qualify on soft, finish on hard.
5) Tony Liuzzi & Ruby 'blah-blah-blah' Barrichello - the first drivers to receive World Championship Points for finishing 9th and 10th.
6) The very, very, very slow Malaysian cars finished the race.

Compare & Contrast with the top-10 times from Practice:

Pos Driver Team Time Laps
1. Alonso Ferrari 1:54.099 14
2. Rosberg Mercedes 1:54.368 + 0.269 13
3. Webber Red Bull-Renault 1:54.500 + 0.401 15
4. Schumacher Mercedes 1:54.533 + 0.434 13
5. Vettel Red Bull-Renault 1:54.646 + 0.547 16
6. Massa Ferrari 1:54.739 + 0.640 14
7. Button McLaren-Mercedes 1:55.000 + 0.901 14
8. Kubica Renault 1:55.331 + 1.232 15
9. Liuzzi Force India-Mercedes 1:55.432 + 1.333 11
10. Hulkenberg Williams-Cosworth 1:55.461 + 1.362 13

7) Interesting... pretty congruent with the final result.
Last edited by PWNSNBM on 15 Mar 2010, 03:08, edited 9 times in total.
"Is this post pointless? Maybe yes, maybe not, this is an F1 forum."
McDuck

Post by McDuck »

f1-gast wrote:Ferrari :D

Speaking of the podium songs, WTFish was up with them!? They sounded all wonky and different. I know the world is suffering through economic Armageddon, and the year is 2010, but the least the FIA could do was find and play an old mp3 recording of the regular songs.

Today reminded me of the corporate national anthem from the first Rollerball movie. Sheesh.
McDuck

Post by McDuck »

Klon wrote:

[exaggerating rant]It is helpful for enjoying Formula 1 to not have the attention span of a drugged goldfish. If you want stupid pointlessness in form of overtaking watch MotoGP and if you want crazy crashes watch Pro Wrestling, just get out of F1...[/exaggerating rant]

This race sucked. It failed to live up to the hype, the cars were visibly slow in the first half of the race, and few people pushed because everyone was looking after their cars instead pushing to the finish line at any cost.

I want old F1 back. I'm sick of Champ Car lite.
XurizManson

Post by XurizManson »

McDuck wrote:
Klon wrote:

This race sucked. It failed to live up to the hype, the cars were visibly slow in the first half of the race, and few people pushed because everyone was looking after their cars instead pushing to the finish line at any cost.

I want old F1 back. I'm sick of Champ Car lite.

I like your style, chap. 8-)
f1-gast

Post by f1-gast »

McDuck wrote:
f1-gast wrote:Ferrari :D

Speaking of the podium songs, WTFish was up with them!? They sounded all wonky and different. I know the world is suffering through economic Armageddon, and the year is 2010, but the least the FIA could do was find and play an old mp3 recording of the regular songs.

Today reminded me of the corporate national anthem from the first Rollerball movie. Sheesh.

Yeah the italian song sucked a lot it was just with no extra stuff just basic that sucked but turned on the song i got on the pc =) sounds as it should be
==ROBIN FRIJNS FOR SAUBER IN 2014==
Founder of unracedf1.com and a formula 1 fan since 1994 :) !
http://www.facebook.com/UnracedF1
P_Friesacher

Post by P_Friesacher »

McDuck wrote:I want old F1 back. I'm sick of Champ Car lite.

Speaking of which, can we have also the old Champcar back, please?
McDuck

Post by McDuck »

BREAKING NEWS Bahrain 2010, Schumacher Agrees with McDuck!

With no refuelling allowed, Schumacher believes the race strategies don't allow for much variation, although he said his race had been 'good fun'.

"It's the start and then after it is just sort of go your pace and not do mistakes," Schumacher told the BBC.

"Overtaking is basically impossible, other than if somebody makes a mistake - Lewis had a little one so Nico was able to pass him, but got back past at the pitstop. That's about it.

"That's the action we are going to have with unfortunately this kind of environment of race strategy.

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/82127
McDuck

Post by McDuck »

P_Friesacher wrote:
McDuck wrote:I want old F1 back. I'm sick of Champ Car lite.

Speaking of which, can we have also the old Champcar back, please?

Sure thing. You can have Champcar and I'll take 90s era CART. :mrgreen:
LucaPacchiarini

Post by LucaPacchiarini »

I'll have present-day World Superbikes thanks
..I'm the member number 666 on this forum... I'm doomed to rejectdom
"Giovanni Lavaggi Draiver is a big, bigger than people think"
(Giancarlo Minardi, on his former driver Giovanni Lavaggi)
McDuck

Post by McDuck »

After what I saw today it's no wonder why Bernie wants the race tracks to have shortcuts...

*edit Luca I grant you sole ownership of World Superbikes effective 3 minutes from now! March into their headquarters and take charge of the place! Overturn desks if you have to! Carry a few cans of pepper spray in case security didn't get the memo!
CarlosFerreira

Post by CarlosFerreira »

Klon wrote:[exaggerating rant]If you want stupid pointlessness in form of overtaking watch MotoGP[/exaggerating rant]

<overblown anger>Oy! Kock it off and leave my MotoGP alone, willya?!</overblown anger>

PWNSNBM wrote:4) If Bahrain's stats are anything to go by, then tires are a non-issue: low attrition rate, 1 pit stop, qualify on soft, finish on hard.

I'll reserve judgement on that one, considering all drivers seemed to attack for a couple of laps and then back off. I got the impression Vettel was only able to defend from Rosberg in the last stages because he had been cruising for a while, while Nico cokked his rubber catching up.

mario wrote:Finally, hats off to the Lotus team - they might not have been the fastest of the new teams, but they were the only ones who made it to the finish (albeit barely in the case of Trulli, thanks to his hydraulic problems). And Heikki set his fastest time on the final lap, getting to within 4 seconds of Alonso's fastest lap - which is pretty respectable.

Does that mean Williams are not using the X-Trac hydraulics, only the engine from the pack? Interesting. On the other hand, the hydraulics on both Saubers went bust as well.
If the standardized X-Trac in indeed not up to the job, imagine the fuss.

Anyone else thinks Sauber and Williams underperformed compared to testing, and that Kubica brought the Renault to punch above its weight in qualy, and that the raced more accurately represented what it really is worth?
Stay home, Colin Kolles!
Valrys

Post by Valrys »

When was the last time we had 8 retirements at a grand prix?

One of the best aspects of the weekend for me, 8 retirements, none self inflicted, 2 cars stopping on the slowing down lap after limping home, both Mclarens shedding a lot of brake dust, and some concern over the cooling on the Ferraris. Maybe ultra-reliabilty has finally started to go away......or maybe that's hoping too much
McDuck

Post by McDuck »

Yes.

Kubica's qualifying performance in the Renault was analogous to someone putting lipstick on a pig.

Kubica's race performance in the Renault was analogous to lipstick subsequently wearing off of the same pig.
Enforcer
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Enforcer »

Williams didn't underperform that much in my eyes, I always thought it'd be a struggle for them to get close to the big 4.

Sauber most definitely underperformed, particularly in qualifying (their race pace wasn't as bad). Either Bahrain doesn't suit them, or they were showboating in pre-season.

As for Kubica, he's bordering on IIDOTR for me. Don't think that Renault is worth 9th on the grid, and then he hauled it back to 11th after dropping to the back of the grid because of his first corner spin. Outperformed the car, imho.
PWNSNBM

Post by PWNSNBM »

CarlosFerreira wrote:
PWNSNBM wrote:4) If Bahrain's stats are anything to go by, then tires are a non-issue: low attrition rate, 1 pit stop, qualify on soft, finish on hard.

I'll reserve judgement on that one, considering all drivers seemed to attack for a couple of laps and then back off. I got the impression Vettel was only able to defend from Rosberg in the last stages because he had been cruising for a while, while Nico cokked his rubber catching up.

Guess we'll only know for sure when Cowboy gets hold of a reliable car!

Or we can just blame today's race on the Tilke track (as usual).
Last edited by PWNSNBM on 14 Mar 2010, 15:37, edited 1 time in total.
"Is this post pointless? Maybe yes, maybe not, this is an F1 forum."
XurizManson

Post by XurizManson »

IdeFan

Post by IdeFan »

Good race:
Ferrari - A little lucky to win, but look like the most consistent team out there, if not outright fastest.
Renault (Kubica mainly) - Impressive race pace, unlucky on the first lap but bodes well for the rest of the season.
Lotus - One car home, one car nearly home, solid pace towards the end, by far the most respectable newbie.
Hamilton - Clearly put Button in the shade, got the most out of a "meh" Mclaren.

Bad race:
Red Bull - Reliability costs them a win, need to clear that up or it could cost them another title.
Webber - Mistakes in qualifying, never really got going in the race.
Virgin - Both cars broke down long before we found out if they have a big enough fuel tank.
HRT - How many laps did Chandhok do all weekend, 5?
Sauber - After promising much in testing, clearly worst of the midfield this weekend.

"Meh" race:
Everyone else, but especially the Mercedes, the very definition of "meh".
"Well we've got this ridiculous situation where we're all sitting by the start-finish line waiting for a winner to come past and we don't seem to be getting one!" - James Hunt, Monaco 1982
ADx_Wales
Location: The Fortress of Sofatude, with a laptop and a penchant for buying now TV day passes for F1 races.

Post by ADx_Wales »

My god you lot have been spoilt over these past few years.

For those that thought the race was boring? What made it boring? was there no overtaking? I believe there was one for the lead, one for 4th place, some of the midfield runners getting past the new lot after they made their mistakes early on.....

And really, did you all expect the cars to be dicing for the places early on? With all that fuel in the cars? Its not a sprint anymore, this is exactly how it was going to happen after 16 years of fuel-dictated strategy races, and with the engines less potent than they were in 93 of COURSE they were going to be slower.

If anything needs to happen, either teams need to get their KERS kits back on the car, or better still get the engine size back to 3.5 Litre, but apparently theres an energy and financial crisis going on*, they were also planning to reduce the race distances by 50kms, that may need to happen sooner rather than later.

*If your kid wants a PS3 but you can only afford a PS2 then your going to have to let him live with it.
"The worst part of my body that hurt in the fire was my balls" Gerhard Berger on Imola 1989
coops

Post by coops »

Bring back refuelling.
"Aerodynamics is for those who cannot manufacture good engines."
-Enzo Ferrari
CarlosFerreira

Post by CarlosFerreira »

ADx_Wales wrote:If anything needs to happen, either teams need to get their KERS kits back on the car, or better still get the engine size back to 3.5 Litre, but apparently theres an energy and financial crisis going on*, they were also planning to reduce the race distances by 50kms, that may need to happen sooner rather than later.

The gauntlet drops. Bring back the KERS!
Stay home, Colin Kolles!
Enforcer
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Enforcer »

CarlosFerreira wrote:
ADx_Wales wrote:If anything needs to happen, either teams need to get their KERS kits back on the car, or better still get the engine size back to 3.5 Litre, but apparently theres an energy and financial crisis going on*, they were also planning to reduce the race distances by 50kms, that may need to happen sooner rather than later.

The gauntlet drops. Bring back the KERS!

Getting rid of the push to block button was a great idea. Don't reverse it.

I say get rid of the "two compounds rule". Let people assault two sets of optimum tires for half a race each rather than tip-toe on the sub-optimal ones for 30% of the race and try and conserve the good ones for 70% of the race.
Waris

Post by Waris »

McDuck wrote:Speaking of the podium songs, WTFish was up with them!? They sounded all wonky and different. I know the world is suffering through economic Armageddon, and the year is 2010, but the least the FIA could do was find and play an old mp3 recording of the regular songs.

I actually really liked the weird arrangements. I suppose it's something peculiar to Bahrain, kind of like how they're not allowed to spray champagne on the podium. Reasoning further, it would be fun if they had different arrangements of the national anthems at every race venue, especially in a season where one driver or team wins most of the races...

Valrys wrote:When was the last time we had 8 retirements at a grand prix?

One of the best aspects of the weekend for me, 8 retirements, none self inflicted, 2 cars stopping on the slowing down lap after limping home, both Mclarens shedding a lot of brake dust, and some concern over the cooling on the Ferraris. Maybe ultra-reliabilty has finally started to go away......or maybe that's hoping too much

I share your hope.

McDuck wrote:Yes.

Kubica's qualifying performance in the Renault was analogous to someone putting lipstick on a pig.

Kubica's race performance in the Renault was analogous to lipstick subsequently wearing off of the same pig.

You do realize he spun at the first corner, and if it weren't for that he'd probably have finished in the points?
MOTOR RACING IS DANGEROUS