The _TCC Series Thread

The place for anything and everything else to do with F1 history, different forms of motorsport, and all other randomness
dr-baker

Re: The _TCC Series Thread

Post by dr-baker »

East Londoner wrote:Also, it's great to see Murray Walker again. For a man pushing 94 years of age, he looks in fantastic health. :D

Totally agreed. Really happy to see him on TV and even getting involved with drawing the balls for the reversed-grid race
watka wrote:I find it amusing that whilst you're one of the more openly Christian guys here, you are still first and foremost associated with an eye for the ladies!
dinizintheoven wrote:GOOD CHRISTIANS do not go to jail. EVERYONE ON FORMULA ONE REJECTS should be in jail.
MCard LOLA
Londoner

Post by Londoner »

Well, bathplug. :facepalm:

Congratulations to Ash Sutton, as much as I utterly dislike Team BMR he has driven brilliantly this season. Let's hope Rob Austin can bag the last race victory of the year.
Fetzie on Ferrari wrote:How does a driver hurtling around a race track while they're sous-viding in their overalls have a better understanding of the race than a team of strategy engineers in an air-conditioned room?l
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

East Londoner wrote:Well, bathplug. :facepalm:

Congratulations to Ash Sutton, as much as I utterly dislike Team BMR he has driven brilliantly this season.

I share these sentiments. And Sutton did it without help from Plato, so credit to Sutton.
watka wrote:I find it amusing that whilst you're one of the more openly Christian guys here, you are still first and foremost associated with an eye for the ladies!
dinizintheoven wrote:GOOD CHRISTIANS do not go to jail. EVERYONE ON FORMULA ONE REJECTS should be in jail.
MCard LOLA
Barbazza

Post by Barbazza »

Finally got round to watching it. I left it so long as I pretty much knew what would happen. As soon as Turks went out in the 3rd race I switched it off.

Nothing to celebrate here - I don't think Sutton is a good driver particularly, and Oz Bernie got exactly what he wanted, so good for him.
Ataxia
Not Important

Post by Ataxia »

Barbazza wrote:I don't think Sutton is a good driver particularly

Shame that, personally I think he's pretty - to borrow the motorsporting superlative of choice - mega. I mean, he was 3rd in his first Formula Ford season, and then won his debut Clio Cup season. The way he's led BMR this year at such a "young" age is pretty commendable too; he's a good lad.
Mitch Hedberg wrote:I want to be a race car passenger: just a guy who bugs the driver. Say man, can I turn on the radio? You should slow down. Why do we gotta keep going in circles? Man, you really like Tide...
Samster

Post by Samster »

Ataxia wrote:
Barbazza wrote:I don't think Sutton is a good driver particularly

Shame that, personally I think he's pretty - to borrow the motorsporting superlative of choice - mega. I mean, he was 3rd in his first Formula Ford season, and then won his debut Clio Cup season. The way he's led BMR this year at such a "young" age is pretty commendable too; he's a good lad.

What ever anyone thinks of BMR, Sutton is certainly the best young driver of the recent generation and there is alot of competition for that. Winning Clio Cup in his first season was a big sign considering that series tends to reward the more experienced drivers. Comparatively speaking Ant Whorton-Eales took five seasons to win that championship the following season and even Cook took three attempts to win. Everyone was raving about Cook after his rookie season in BTCC only for Sutton to upstage him last season as his teammate. Everything about his career so far makes him look like a prodigy.
Londoner

Post by Londoner »

Also, you have to take into account Sutton had an almost career-ending road accident in 2011. To come back from two and a half years on the shelf to achieve what he's done in F4, Clios and now touring cars is pretty bloody spectacular.
Fetzie on Ferrari wrote:How does a driver hurtling around a race track while they're sous-viding in their overalls have a better understanding of the race than a team of strategy engineers in an air-conditioned room?l
1993DonningtonNo1Mk2

Post by 1993DonningtonNo1Mk2 »

Waris wrote:So if DTM and Super GT had indeed merged, presumably that would've blurred the line between sportscars and touring cars a bit. What would that new series have been called, a touring car or a GT championship?
And I remember reading somewhere that there were also plans for DTM to work together with NASCAR. I don't know what exactly they had in mind, but that would also blur the line between touring cars and stock cars (not that that has ever been very clear to me in the first place). :O

Say, wonder what happened to that US version of DTM?
andrew

Post by andrew »

Eurosport. :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm:
During WTCC qualifying they go for an ad break in the middle of q2, luckily we didn’t miss any laps. However they really then take the piss when in MAC3 at the start of Hondas run they go for another ad break, during this Tarquini made a mistake gifting the win to Volvo, and to make matters worse they didn’t have a replay. Somebody should get sacked,

Also I was catching up on the TCR series from China. The Hyundai is serisouly over powered ,that thing was a rocket in race 1. In race 2, Huff breaks the suspension on Kajaia, then hits Morbidelli and then hits the Audi (just clearly driving into the back of him) and yet is able to keep victory...
Barbazza

Post by Barbazza »

andrew wrote:Eurosport. :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm:
During WTCC qualifying they go for an ad break in the middle of q2, luckily we didn’t miss any laps. However they really then take the piss when in MAC3 at the start of Hondas run they go for another ad break, during this Tarquini made a mistake gifting the win to Volvo, and to make matters worse they didn’t have a replay. Somebody should get sacked,

I completely forgot to record WTCC, but it looks like I didn't much actual racing. TBH I'm getting a bit bored of it now anyway - Haven's big fat gob doesn't help matters.
Samster

Post by Samster »

BTCC to actually do something different from the norm next season! Snetterton Race 3 will be double distance with double points.
http://www.btcccrazy.co.uk/btcc/special ... niversary/
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

Samster wrote:BTCC to actually do something different from the norm next season! Snetterton Race 3 will be double distance with double points.

Should be interesting. Although, what happens about tyre situation? Everyone will surely use harder compound for that race? Daft to use softs then.
MCard LOLA
1993DonningtonNo1Mk2

Post by 1993DonningtonNo1Mk2 »

dr-baker wrote:
Samster wrote:BTCC to actually do something different from the norm next season! Snetterton Race 3 will be double distance with double points.

Should be interesting. Although, what happens about tyre situation? Everyone will surely use harder compound for that race? Daft to use softs then.

Plus the reverse grid will now apply to the Top 12 finishers from Race 2.
Spectoremg

Post by Spectoremg »

Has Ash Sutton got a seat with BMR next year or has Plato worked his magic yet? :?
Samster

Post by Samster »

Having been chewed up and spat out by Supercars, Alex Rullo is going to test for PMR. Well I'd rather have him than say having Alex Martin back at least.
http://www.btcccrazy.co.uk/btcc/power-m ... btcc-test/

Also Sam Tordoff has been lurking back in the paddock again having tested for both AmD and PMR recently.
RealRacingRoots

Post by RealRacingRoots »

1993DonningtonNo1Mk2 wrote:
Waris wrote:So if DTM and Super GT had indeed merged, presumably that would've blurred the line between sportscars and touring cars a bit. What would that new series have been called, a touring car or a GT championship?
And I remember reading somewhere that there were also plans for DTM to work together with NASCAR. I don't know what exactly they had in mind, but that would also blur the line between touring cars and stock cars (not that that has ever been very clear to me in the first place). :O

Say, wonder what happened to that US version of DTM?

It's never gonna happen. A pipe dream and nothing more.
The Truth Shall set you free. (no theme music plays)
Tomáš.......Ttaaaaaaaattaaaaaarrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr
Watch this if you want to learn about what Canada is really like.
GT Super Series
Londoner

Post by Londoner »

That wheeler-dealer geezer Tony Gilham has managed to secure four TBLs for Team HARD. Jake Hill is staying in the Passat for 2018, while Tony has handed Mike Bushell a BTCC return, a long-overdue full time BTCC ride for Michael Caine, while handing Bobby Thompson his BTCC debut. He's also managed to snap up engineer Geoff Kingston. who's been the brains behind Tom Ingram and Speedworks' ascent to frontrunners.

I do wonder how Gilham is funding all of this, given what happened last time he tried to run a four car team. :badoer:

Meanwhile, Tom Chilton has secured a Motorbase seat for 2018. Matt Simpson has taken his Civic and TBL over to Eurotech, and BTC Norlin have acquired a pair of Dynamics Civics to replace their Cruzes

There's also rumblings that AmD are going to be running the shitheap MGs alongside their pair of Audis, in some sort of convoluted arrangement between them, Triple 8 and Team BMR. No one seems to know if Sutton, Plato and Subaru are going to be back yet. This has been one strange off-season so far.
This Could Be You

Post by This Could Be You »

So Matt Simpson is competing for a third team in three years, but with the same car? There must be something about him that team bosses don't like (presumably his repair bills...).

Also, AmD taking the MGs would be an unbelievably bad idea- they're marginally slower than the 2017 A3s in good condition, and both of their chassis are patched up after serious accidents, and still haven't been repaired or inspected fully. They'd be better off buying BTC's old Chevrolets if they want more cars.

Another thing that should be interesting is Dynamics' new FK9 Civic, which has presumably will make its debut this year (thus the cascading of the old chassis to BTC). I honestly can't work out whether the current Civic design will look great or unspeakably awful in NGTC-spec. I mean they wouldn't even really need to put the box flares on it- the Type R essentially has them as standard!
Your Signature Here

Named after HRT, now on HRT
takagi_for_the_win

Post by takagi_for_the_win »

Chuffed about Michael Caine getting a full time drive, (until Team HARD implodes or something) always thought his talents were criminally underused in the Carrera Cup. Should be worth keeping an eye on Team HARD in general really.
TORA! TORA! TORA!
dinizintheoven

Post by dinizintheoven »

This Could Be You wrote:Another thing that should be interesting is Dynamics' new FK9 Civic, which has presumably will make its debut this year (thus the cascading of the old chassis to BTC). I honestly can't work out whether the current Civic design will look great or unspeakably awful in NGTC-spec. I mean they wouldn't even really need to put the box flares on it- the Type R essentially has them as standard!

As a ten-year-long owner of an 8th-gen Civic, the sight of the 10th-gen model pains me horribly. Why does it have to be so long, with the side profile of a 2002 Vauxhall Vectra? And why is is festooned with so much unnecessary plastic frippery? The 9th-gen with its big chin-spoiler was ungainly enough, but Honda's designers have gone in the wrong direction. While it's possible they're desperately trying to make a "cool Honda" that old people won't like, the 8th-gen had already done that - one elderly couple in the showroom recoiled in horror and looked at a Jazz instead. Maybe the extended length of the 10th-gen is because there isn't an Accord here any more, to which I'd say, why not?
James Allen, on his favourite F1 engine of all time:
"...the Life W12, I can't describe the noise to you, but imagine filling your dustbin with nuts and bolts, and then throwing it down the stairs, it was something akin to that!"
This Could Be You

Post by This Could Be You »

In more BTCC news, AmDTuning has now confirmed their 2018 lineup- the Audis have been kept, as has Ollie Jackson, while joining him at the team is British F4 and VW Cup racer Sam Smelt, who doesn't seem to have done anything of note in previous championships, other than rivalling Stephen Jelley (and every driver with Ayrton or Senna for a first name) for the honour of having the silliest name in the TOCA package.
Your Signature Here

Named after HRT, now on HRT
Samster

Post by Samster »

This Could Be You wrote:In more BTCC news, AmDTuning has now confirmed their 2018 lineup- the Audis have been kept, as has Ollie Jackson, while joining him at the team is British F4 and VW Cup racer Sam Smelt, who doesn't seem to have done anything of note in previous championships, other than rivalling Stephen Jelley (and every driver with Ayrton or Senna for a first name) for the honour of having the silliest name in the TOCA package.

Hope Ant Whorton-Eales finds a good team then. Why Sam Smelt? He couldn't even do anything in VW Cup which is like ARCA level of driver talent. :facepalm: Not too thrilled about Mike Epps being left out of TGR either. :(
Londoner

Post by Londoner »

Dave Newsham is sadly retiring from the BTCC. I always hoped he'd be able to add another race win or two to his collection after 2012, but it was not to be. :(
Samster

Post by Samster »

Someone was actually dumb enough to buy the MGs. AmD has gone full Tony Gilham and used them to expand to a four car team! :shock: Presumably this means the Triple Eight name is completely gone now.
https://www.thecheckeredflag.co.uk/2018 ... 2018-line/

In other news, WSR has confirmed an unchanged lineup. Goff is confirmed with Eurotech and Sutton remains with BMR for his title defense.
Samster

Post by Samster »

Motorbase have face-lifted their Focus' from the ST to the RS and have also confirmed Jackson's return. PMR have also signed Josh Cook.

http://www.btcccrazy.co.uk/
Samster

Post by Samster »

A tweet from Shaun Hollamby has shown Sam Tordoff visiting the AmD Tuning shop. Could we see him back in one of the crapbox MGs?
Londoner

Post by Londoner »

In a fairly surprising development, Gordon Shedden has emerged as a leading contender for a top WTCR seat.

If Shedden does go over to the WTCR, I wonder if Dynamics might bring in Rob Huff as a straight swap. Huffy seemed to be absolutely relishing his time back in the BTCC paddock last year, he has prior Honda experience, and Dynamics are one of the few teams who would be able to pay him.
Samster

Post by Samster »

East Londoner wrote:In a fairly surprising development, Gordon Shedden has emerged as a leading contender for a top WTCR seat.

If Shedden does go over to the WTCR, I wonder if Dynamics might bring in Rob Huff as a straight swap. Huffy seemed to be absolutely relishing his time back in the BTCC paddock last year, he has prior Honda experience, and Dynamics are one of the few teams who would be able to pay him.

Confirmed
Peteroli34

Post by Peteroli34 »

I wonder who is going to get the Honda seat. Will they go with someone like Rob Huff who has stated he would like to go back to the BTCC. A young gun like Tom Ingram. or how about Jason Plato imagine him and Neal in the same team.
Salamander

Post by Salamander »

peteroli34 wrote:Jason Plato imagine him and Neal in the same team.

Sebastian Vettel wrote:If I was good at losing I wouldn't be in Formula 1.
Everything's great.
I'm not surprised about anything.
Samster

Post by Samster »

Ciceley Motorsport have signed Tom Oliphant alongside Morgan. No idea if this is a replacement for their partnership with the Moffats or will they still have a third Mercedes? There are three Mercs already in existence so its entirely possible Ciceley have dug out the spare rather than taken back the Moffat chassis. Or maybe Aiden Moffat is moving on, BMR possibly?

Edit - Apparently they have bought a second TBL from Stewart Lines' team.
Samster

Post by Samster »

James Nash returns to the BTCC! With BTC Norlin replacing the retired Dave Newsham. :D
https://www.touringcartimes.com/2018/02 ... in-racing/
Miguel98

Post by Miguel98 »

I didn't expect this. I expected Tordoff to be back considering the rumours, but not with Motorbase. Super strong team, I hope they can take the fight to the damn BMR Subaru's.
Mario on Gutierrez after the Italian Grand Prix wrote:He's no longer just a bit of a tool, he's the entire tool set.

18-07-2015: Forever in our hearts Jules.
25-08-2015: Forever in our hearts Justin.
Peteroli34

Post by Peteroli34 »

So I believe that their is 5? Seats left available for this years BTCC, 2 AMD MG's, 1 BMR Subaru, 1 Team Parker Focus and the Dynamics seat. That Dynamics seat would be the best of those available wonder who could it be?
Samster

Post by Samster »

peteroli34 wrote:So I believe that their is 5? Seats left available for this years BTCC, 2 AMD MG's, 1 BMR Subaru, 1 Team Parker Focus and the Dynamics seat. That Dynamics seat would be the best of those available wonder who could it be?

I'm hearing that it could be Dan Cammish for the 2nd TDR seat. I believe they are announcing the driver tomorrow.
Miguel98

Post by Miguel98 »

Samster wrote:
peteroli34 wrote:So I believe that their is 5? Seats left available for this years BTCC, 2 AMD MG's, 1 BMR Subaru, 1 Team Parker Focus and the Dynamics seat. That Dynamics seat would be the best of those available wonder who could it be?

I'm hearing that it could be Dan Cammish for the 2nd TDR seat. I believe they are announcing the driver tomorrow.

Confirmed
Mario on Gutierrez after the Italian Grand Prix wrote:He's no longer just a bit of a tool, he's the entire tool set.

18-07-2015: Forever in our hearts Jules.
25-08-2015: Forever in our hearts Justin.
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

I remember Cammish being fairly dominant in FFord, and he seems to have done alright in Porsches since. Cammish for BTCC Champion 2018?
MCard LOLA
Samster

Post by Samster »

dr-baker wrote:I remember Cammish being fairly dominant in FFord, and he seems to have done alright in Porsches since. Cammish for BTCC Champion 2018?

I'd be shocked if he didn't win a race this year. He's the most successful Carrera Cup GB driver ever in just three seasons there. I was surprised he ended up in BTCC though, thought he was destined to eventually be a Porsche works driver.

Anyway Shedden's move to WTCR is finally confirmed driving for WRT alongside Jean-Karl Vernay as expected.

And expect Stephen Jelley remaing in the Team Parker Ford to be confirmed Monday. That just leaves the two AmD MGs and the third BMR Subaru to announce drivers.
Peteroli34

Post by Peteroli34 »

Samster wrote:
dr-baker wrote:I remember Cammish being fairly dominant in FFord, and he seems to have done alright in Porsches since. Cammish for BTCC Champion 2018?

I'd be shocked if he didn't win a race this year. He's the most successful Carrera Cup GB driver ever in just three seasons there. I was surprised he ended up in BTCC though, thought he was destined to eventually be a Porsche works driver.

Anyway Shedden's move to WTCR is finally confirmed driving for WRT alongside Jean-Karl Vernay as expected.

And expect Stephen Jelley remaing in the Team Parker Ford to be confirmed Monday. That just leaves the two AmD MGs and the third BMR Subaru to announce drivers.

Some rumour that Team Parker wont be running a focus this year, Possibly an EX WSR 1Series. and that the 3rd BMR Subaru will be James Cole. Just whoever going to be in the MG's is a mystery.