Most Forgettable Drivers

The place for respectful and reverent discussion of Reject drivers and teams, whether profiled or not as yet
Butterfox
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: Most Forgettable Drivers

Post by Butterfox »

Wow indeed i already forgot about Di Resta's williams stint!

I did not forget Giovinazzi's because at least he crashed spectacularly. And Buttons immense 'motivation' was certainly unforgettable as well :D
I don't know what i want and i want it now!
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

This wrote:And Button's immense 'motivation' was certainly unforgettable as well :D

His motivation to pee into Alonso's seat, you mean?
watka wrote:I find it amusing that whilst you're one of the more openly Christian guys here, you are still first and foremost associated with an eye for the ladies!
dinizintheoven wrote:GOOD CHRISTIANS do not go to jail. EVERYONE ON FORMULA ONE REJECTS should be in jail.
MCard LOLA
UncreativeUsername37

Post by UncreativeUsername37 »

Bruno Senna was the one put in Heidfeld's seat in 2011. I remember Heidfeld losing his drive, but I totally forgot it was Senna. Even though he was in eight races, the idea he was part of 2011 is so weird to me.
Rob Dylan wrote:Mercedes paying homage to the other W12 chassis by breaking down 30 minutes in
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

I keep forgetting that Denny Hulme was ever a world champion. Most anonymous champion ever?
Last edited by dr-baker on 07 Feb 2021, 15:09, edited 1 time in total.
watka wrote:I find it amusing that whilst you're one of the more openly Christian guys here, you are still first and foremost associated with an eye for the ladies!
dinizintheoven wrote:GOOD CHRISTIANS do not go to jail. EVERYONE ON FORMULA ONE REJECTS should be in jail.
MCard LOLA
tBone

Post by tBone »

dr-baker wrote:I keep forgetting that Denby Hulme was ever a world champion. Most anonymous champion ever?

The other one I'm always forgetting is Mike Hawthorn, so probably those 2 indeed.
YOUR
LOGO

Here
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

tBone wrote:
dr-baker wrote:I keep forgetting that Denby Hulme was ever a world champion. Most anonymous champion ever?

The other one I'm always forgetting is Mike Hawthorn, so probably those 2 indeed.

Just corrected my spelling mistake. So anonymous I couldn't spell his name right.

There is one thing I remember about Hawthorn and his championship. He was due to be DSQ from a race (Portugal?), and thanks to evidence from Moss, got reinstated. Moss then later loses the title to Hawthorn by 1 point. If Moss hadn't helped with Hawthorn's reinstatement, the title would have been his.

And Rindt's title might have been anonymous to me too if it hadn't been won posthumously.
MCard LOLA
Bleu

Post by Bleu »

Had there not been Graham and Damon I think Phil Hill's title would be also more forgettable.
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

Bleu wrote:Had there not been Graham and Damon I think Phil Hill's title would be also more forgettable.

He would otherwise just be a footnote as the first American champion. But it helps that Hill won the championship in consecutive years in 1961 and 1962. ;) And every Hill to have entered the sport has won the title, not just some of them. Better than Andretti, Fittipaldi and Schumacher. Better even than Rosberg - two Rosbergs v. three Hills.
MCard LOLA
UncreativeUsername37

Post by UncreativeUsername37 »

The one I tend to forget is Andretti because 1) my knowledge of the 1970s isn't very good and 2) I associate him with another continent's scene the most. I always remember Hawthorn because of the story behind it and frankly the debate over whether he deserved to be champion, Phil Hill because 1961 just sticks out if you know the history of the regulations around then, Surtees because of the dramatic finish and tbh because "er, I know it wasn't Clark" would be embarrassing, Hulme admittedly mainly because of GPL... I don't want to say they stick out by being bad, but....
Rob Dylan wrote:Mercedes paying homage to the other W12 chassis by breaking down 30 minutes in
Alexandra

Post by Alexandra »

I recently stumbled upon this website. A lot on there reminds me of the old driver profiles on f1rejects. Anybody know more about these guys? They mention they are a facebook group, but I don't use facebook and I'm not planning on changing that just for some 5 minutes of research. Is anyone from gprejects involved by any chance, or is this all mere coincidence?

https://www.f1forgottendrivers.com
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

That website looks like a wonderful site. Thank you for sharing! Looking at the Facebook page, it looks like it's a two-man operation, as this site used to be back in the day, neither of whom is a name I recognise from here. But it's nice to see another fan site focusing on the lesser known drivers of the sport.
MCard LOLA
tommykl

Post by tommykl »

Alexandra wrote:I recently stumbled upon this website. A lot on there reminds me of the old driver profiles on f1rejects. Anybody know more about these guys? They mention they are a facebook group, but I don't use facebook and I'm not planning on changing that just for some 5 minutes of research. Is anyone from gprejects involved by any chance, or is this all mere coincidence?

Their Facebook page is rather wonderful and full of older people involved in F1 decades ago, including some actual drivers like Mike Wilds and Andrea Chiesa! Their profiles don't seem as thorough as ours, but instead they focused on having as much info as possible on everyone who matches their definition and building on the profiles whenever they can. Rather flatteringly, they cite their sources and have included us as sources for their articles!
kevinbotz wrote:Cantonese is a completely nonsensical f*cking alien language masquerading as some grossly bastardised form of Chinese

Gonzo wrote:Wasn't there some sort of communisim in the East part of Germany?
Alexandra

Post by Alexandra »

tommykl wrote:
Alexandra wrote:I recently stumbled upon this website. A lot on there reminds me of the old driver profiles on f1rejects. Anybody know more about these guys? They mention they are a facebook group, but I don't use facebook and I'm not planning on changing that just for some 5 minutes of research. Is anyone from gprejects involved by any chance, or is this all mere coincidence?

Their Facebook page is rather wonderful and full of older people involved in F1 decades ago, including some actual drivers like Mike Wilds and Andrea Chiesa! Their profiles don't seem as thorough as ours, but instead they focused on having as much info as possible on everyone who matches their definition and building on the profiles whenever they can. Rather flatteringly, they cite their sources and have included us as sources for their articles!

I had noticed. That's why I asked if anyone from here was involved over there as well. And even if their articles might not be as in-depth as the ones here, I think it's great to see so many sites dedicated to "forgotten" or "reject" drivers from the past. I use quotation marks, because as long as someone remembers them and even goes as far as creating a website about them, they'll never really be forgotten, only to casual followers of the sport. :)
Har1MAS1415

Post by Har1MAS1415 »

Can't believe no-one's mentioned Tony Trimmer until now.
Butterfox
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Butterfox »

Har1MAS1415 wrote: 29 Sep 2022, 21:01 Can't believe no-one's mentioned Tony Trimmer until now.
Nah the mere fact he drove for Maki makes him a legend.
Har1MAS1415

Post by Har1MAS1415 »

Butterfox wrote: 29 Sep 2022, 21:07
Har1MAS1415 wrote: 29 Sep 2022, 21:01 Can't believe no-one's mentioned Tony Trimmer until now.
Other than that?
Spectoremg

Post by Spectoremg »

I've just Wiki'd Tony Trimmer. The Melchester Racing Team. If Viz comic had a racing team...
Har1MAS1415

Post by Har1MAS1415 »

From more recent times, Sergey Sirotkin.
MyHamsterRacedAnOnyx

Post by MyHamsterRacedAnOnyx »

Jack Aitken and his one grand prix drive. And from the past- Jean Christophe Boullion who somehow managed to gather a 5th and a 6th place in 1995 without being memorable at all.
Some people are looking for the meaning of life.Me,I'll be satisfied with a cute girl who can tell her Andrea Moda from her AGS...
Har1MAS1415

Post by Har1MAS1415 »

MyHamsterRacedAnOnyx wrote: 10 Oct 2022, 01:35 Jack Aitken and his one grand prix drive. And from the past- Jean Christophe Boullion who somehow managed to gather a 5th and a 6th place in 1995 without being memorable at all.
In that case, all we'll remember about Pietro Fittipaldi in years to come is that he's Emerson's grandson, at the rate his single-seater career is going.
Bobby Doorknobs

Post by Bobby Doorknobs »

Har1MAS1415 wrote: 29 Sep 2022, 21:27
Other than that?
His crushing dominance of the Shellsport/Aurora series in 1977-78. It's criminal that we never got a chance to see what Trimmer was capable of on the international scene.
#FreeGonzo
Har1MAS1415

Post by Har1MAS1415 »

Bobby Doorknobs wrote: 10 Oct 2022, 14:53
Har1MAS1415 wrote: 29 Sep 2022, 21:27

Other than that?
His crushing dominance of the Shellsport/Aurora series in 1977-78. It's criminal that we never got a chance to see what Trimmer was capable of on the international scene.
Wasn't previously aware of that as I've only started researching that in recent times.
Har1MAS1415

Post by Har1MAS1415 »

Rob Schroeder must be one of the most forgettable F1 drivers. This is the first time he's been mentioned on this thread if my research serves me correct. By today's standards, he'd have scored a point in his only race, he did complete enough laps to be classified despite being 7 laps down at Watkins Glen in 1962.
Forti
Location: The Pacific time zone, the most rejectful time zone of them all

Post by Forti »

For a pay driver who debuted in the late 2010s, he oddly hasn't faced the backlash that other recent pay drivers have like Stroll, Latifi, and Mazepin, even though the aforementioned Canadian pay drivers have scored better results than him.

As for Felipe Nasr, I cannot possibly forget him because I blame him for the death of Manor, the last of the 2010 new teams. Killed them with that 9th place in Brazil. :x
Aislabie wrote: Oh that's another thing, if you hang around with us it will completely reshape your perception of Mario as a character.
It would be funny if FortiWinks returned from his absence only to find out that I'm the Forti in town now.
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

GT_Forti1 wrote: 11 Oct 2022, 23:57
For a pay driver who debuted in the late 2010s, he oddly hasn't faced the backlash that other recent pay drivers have like Stroll, Latifi, and Mazepin, even though the aforementioned Canadian pay drivers have scored better results than him.

As for Felipe Nasr, I cannot possibly forget him because I blame him for the death of Manor, the last of the 2010 new teams. Killed them with that 9th place in Brazil. :x
Felipe Massa never drove for Manor. Oh wait, you said Nasr. My mistake.

;)
MCard LOLA
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

MCard LOLA
James1978

Post by James1978 »

And Stewart through Jaguar turned into Red Bull :)
"Poor old Warwick takes it from behind all throughout this season". :) (Tony Jardine, 1988)
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

James1978 wrote: 12 Oct 2022, 21:28 And Stewart through Jaguar turned into Red Bull :)
This is true!
MCard LOLA
Forti
Location: The Pacific time zone, the most rejectful time zone of them all

Post by Forti »

dr-baker wrote: 13 Oct 2022, 06:16
James1978 wrote: 12 Oct 2022, 21:28 And Stewart through Jaguar turned into Red Bull :)
This is true!
And it doesn't stop at Red Bull, although that belongs in the Unusual F1 stats thread.
Aislabie wrote: Oh that's another thing, if you hang around with us it will completely reshape your perception of Mario as a character.
It would be funny if FortiWinks returned from his absence only to find out that I'm the Forti in town now.
Har1MAS1415

Post by Har1MAS1415 »

After qualifying for the sprint race at this year's Brazilian GP, all Mick Schumacher's likely to be remembered for in the near future is being Michael's son, depending on Haas' 2023 decision.
CoopsII

Post by CoopsII »

Har1MAS1415 wrote: 13 Nov 2022, 19:58 After qualifying for the sprint race at this year's Brazilian GP, all Mick Schumacher's likely to be remembered for in the near future is being Michael's son, depending on Haas' 2023 decision.
Agreed. Along with Michael Andretti, that Piquet geezer, Bruno Not-Senna and all those Brabhams.

I think we can all agree with the blessing/curse theory on having ultra-successful F1 family and I guess what we can take from this is how well Rosberg, Hill, & Villeneuve did.

K-Mags and Verstappen are interesting as both are much more successful than their very average Dads.
Just For One Day...
Har1MAS1415

Post by Har1MAS1415 »

CoopsII wrote: 17 Nov 2022, 10:09
Har1MAS1415 wrote: 13 Nov 2022, 19:58 After qualifying for the sprint race at this year's Brazilian GP, all Mick Schumacher's likely to be remembered for in the near future is being Michael's son, depending on Haas' 2023 decision.
Agreed. Along with Michael Andretti, that Piquet geezer, Bruno Not-Senna and all those Brabhams.

I think we can all agree with the blessing/curse theory on having ultra-successful F1 family and I guess what we can take from this is how well Rosberg, Hill, & Villeneuve did.

K-Mags and Verstappen are interesting as both are much more successful than their very average Dads.
Agreed, especially now Schumi the younger has officially lost his seat to the Hulk.
James1978

Post by James1978 »

On a similar principal, I always feel Ralf Schumacher would be much more favorably looked upon now if he hadn't been related to another driver. I mean Montoya is now highly praised and him and Ralf were always closely matched.
"Poor old Warwick takes it from behind all throughout this season". :) (Tony Jardine, 1988)
CoopsII

Post by CoopsII »

James1978 wrote: 17 Nov 2022, 10:49 On a similar principal, I always feel Ralf Schumacher would be much more favorably looked upon now if he hadn't been related to another driver. I mean Montoya is now highly praised and him and Ralf were always closely matched.
I agree totally. Fisichella is regarded pretty fondly with most people in the know and they too were reasonably matched, I think Fizzy beat RSC in his debut season (1997) mostly due to Ralf retiring more.
Just For One Day...
James1978

Post by James1978 »

Looking through the early pages of this thread, it seems that the mid 00s was a golden era for forgettable drivers. I mean 2003 - 2006 alone had all these star names:

Gene
Firman
Pizzonia
Kiesa
Da Matta
Klien
Zonta
Pantano
Bruni
Liuzzi
Friesacher
Doornbos
Albers
Montagny
Yamamoto.

I'd even suggest that without the running joke on here, HWNSNBM would be in too, and also without Brazil '08 Glock would be in too. But with it, he'll be memorable forever!
Har1MAS1415

Post by Har1MAS1415 »

James1978 wrote: 17 Nov 2022, 12:50 Looking through the early pages of this thread, it seems that the mid 00s was a golden era for forgettable drivers. I mean 2003 - 2006 alone had all these star names:

Gene
Firman
Pizzonia
Kiesa
Da Matta
Klien
Zonta
Pantano
Bruni
Liuzzi
Friesacher
Doornbos
Albers
Montagny
Yamamoto.

I'd even suggest that without the running joke on here, HWNSNBM would be in too, and also without Brazil '08 Glock would be in too. But with it, he'll be memorable forever!
Same for Nicholas Latifi after Abu Dhabi last year.
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

Amazing to think that all three Hills to have entered F1 have a WDC, even the unrelated Phil.
MCard LOLA
Har1MAS1415

Post by Har1MAS1415 »

dr-baker wrote: 17 Nov 2022, 20:23

Amazing to think that all three Hills to have entered F1 have a WDC, even the unrelated Phil.
In some cases, being forgettable runs in the family, like the Pilettes. Andre has a solitary 5th place to his name and Teddy has a single start.
Butterfox
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Butterfox »

Har1MAS1415 wrote: 13 Dec 2022, 10:55

In some cases, being forgettable runs in the family, like the Pilettes. Andre has a solitary 5th place to his name and Teddy has a single start.
Pré-war driver Theodore Pilette was slightly better, altough a bit forgettable as well.
Har1MAS1415

Post by Har1MAS1415 »

Butterfox wrote: 13 Dec 2022, 14:26
Har1MAS1415 wrote: 13 Dec 2022, 10:55
Pré-war driver Theodore Pilette was slightly better, altough a bit forgettable as well.
Runs in the family