The F1 Rejects Field Trip Thread

The place for discussion of all aspects of the gprejects.com website
Faustus
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: The F1 Rejects Field Trip Thread

Post by Faustus »

Any have plans to go to other races this year? Formula Ford Festival at Brands in October?
Field trip to the Donington Museum?
Following Formula 1 since 1984.
Avid collector of Formula 1 season guides and reviews.
Collector of reject merchandise and 1/43rd scale reject model cars.
dinizintheoven

Post by dinizintheoven »

I would have done the Donington museum myself when I was at the Formula E tests, but ran right out of time when the buses ran late...
James Allen, on his favourite F1 engine of all time:
"...the Life W12, I can't describe the noise to you, but imagine filling your dustbin with nuts and bolts, and then throwing it down the stairs, it was something akin to that!"
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

No plans to date, but probably won't venture any further than Brands for the rest of this season. (Or perhaps Beaulieu).
watka wrote:I find it amusing that whilst you're one of the more openly Christian guys here, you are still first and foremost associated with an eye for the ladies!
dinizintheoven wrote:GOOD CHRISTIANS do not go to jail. EVERYONE ON FORMULA ONE REJECTS should be in jail.
MCard LOLA
Faustus
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Faustus »

Beaulieu still in early december? That could be interesting.
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

Faustus wrote:Beaulieu still in early december? That could be interesting.

As an aside. I'm already going with my dad to that. Should be a good evening.
watka wrote:I find it amusing that whilst you're one of the more openly Christian guys here, you are still first and foremost associated with an eye for the ladies!
dinizintheoven wrote:GOOD CHRISTIANS do not go to jail. EVERYONE ON FORMULA ONE REJECTS should be in jail.
MCard LOLA
Faustus
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Faustus »

I am definitely going to the Silverstone Classic next year. My father is coming over and we're going together, on the Saturday and sunday. If you've never been, I highly recommend it. Brilliant race meeting, great atmosphere, great racing and amazing cars. Sort of like the Goodwood Festival of Speed but without the marketing crap and with better cars.
My father has never had the pleasure of witnessing a Can-Am race and the organisers are planning a big reunion race, so for that alone it will be worth it. Plus the late evening Group C race, the FIA Masters F1 race, the Formula 5000 race and the pre-65 GT race filled with Ferrari 250 GTOs. Can't wait.
I need to get a decent camera by then, because I have some paddock passes lined up and there will be bucketloads of amazing cars to photograph.
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

Faustus wrote:I am definitely going to the Silverstone Classic next year. My father is coming over and we're going together, on the Saturday and sunday. If you've never been, I highly recommend it. Brilliant race meeting, great atmosphere, great racing and amazing cars. Sort of like the Goodwood Festival of Speed but without the marketing crap and with better cars.
My father has never had the pleasure of witnessing a Can-Am race and the organisers are planning a big reunion race, so for that alone it will be worth it. Plus the late evening Group C race, the FIA Masters F1 race, the Formula 5000 race and the pre-65 GT race filled with Ferrari 250 GTOs. Can't wait.
I need to get a decent camera by then, because I have some paddock passes lined up and there will be bucketloads of amazing cars to photograph.

Sounds good. When during the year is it?
MCard LOLA
Faustus
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Faustus »

29th to 31st of July.

http://www.silverstoneclassic.com/

Tickets aren't on sale yet but I've already booked the hotel in Milton Keynes. I'm doing the hospitality thing as well, no expense spared. Next year is my father's 65th birthday so this will be my present to him.
We can talk more about it closer to the time and see if you're interested.
The weekend before will be the Spa 24 Hours which I am going to be working at, so this will be perfect after a week of working my arse off.
Faustus
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Faustus »

Tickets for the Silverstone Classic are on sale now!

http://www.silverstoneclassic.com/ticke ... a-16535317

2-day tickets (friday and Saturday) for £75, that's the one for me.
AndreaModa

Post by AndreaModa »

Faustus wrote:Tickets for the Silverstone Classic are on sale now!

Always fancied this, but do the cars change on each day, or can you go on the Friday for example and see all of the cars, even if they're competing on Sunday (in the paddock I mean).
I want my MTV...Simtek Ford

My Motorsport Photos

@DNPQ_
Faustus
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Faustus »

AndreaModa wrote:

Always fancied this, but do the cars change on each day, or can you go on the Friday for example and see all of the cars, even if they're competing on Sunday (in the paddock I mean).

No change to the cars. Inevitably some cars might be running on friday and then not running later on and vice-versa, but it's the same cars.
Paddock access is free and there are 2. Historic F1, Group C, Can-Am, all the fun of the fair. I reckon Friday to look around the paddocks and Saturday for the races. The Group C is always the last race on Saturday and ends in dusk. The Can-Am celebration should be awesome.
AndreaModa

Post by AndreaModa »

Faustus wrote:
AndreaModa wrote:

No change to the cars. Inevitably some cars might be running on friday and then not running later on and vice-versa, but it's the same cars.
Paddock access is free and there are 2. Historic F1, Group C, Can-Am, all the fun of the fair. I reckon Friday to look around the paddocks and Saturday for the races. The Group C is always the last race on Saturday and ends in dusk. The Can-Am celebration should be awesome.

Great, cheers for that Faustus. I'll definitely consider this for 2016!

My Motorsport Photos

@DNPQ_
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

There will apparently be an in-season test at Silverstone this year, on Tuesday 12th and Wednesday 13th July. Don't know if Silverstone will charge for this, but is anyone provisionally up for this?
MCard LOLA
dinizintheoven

Post by dinizintheoven »

Could well be interesting. It's better than having to disappear off to Abu Dhabi for it!
"...the Life W12, I can't describe the noise to you, but imagine filling your dustbin with nuts and bolts, and then throwing it down the stairs, it was something akin to that!"
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

dinizintheoven wrote:Could well be interesting. It's better than having to disappear off to Abu Dhabi for it!

Definitely easier, although the weather is not guaranteed to be better...
MCard LOLA
Rob Dylan

Post by Rob Dylan »

possibly, possibly :)
Murray Walker at the 1997 Austrian Grand Prix wrote:The other [Stewart] driver, who nobody's been paying attention to, because he's disappointing, is Jan Magnussen.
Felipe Nasr - the least forgettable F1 driver!
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

Good news, everybody! Silverstone confirms that the post-British GP test will be open to the public and that tickets will be available in the coming weeks!

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/122817
MCard LOLA
Aerond
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Aerond »

If I get that job in Germany I might hit Hockenheim or Spa
Tread lightly in ARWS. Every decision might be your last.
Rob Dylan

Post by Rob Dylan »

Big news (for me at least :D): I've managed to get an Erasmus exchange placement for my next year of university in Uppsala, Sweden. First of all, are there any Swedes on the forum I can contact about maybe going to motorsport events in the country? Also, has anyone here been to the Rally of Sweden before? I think it's practically compulsory for me to go to it if I can, and getting some kind of field trip organised would be good fun :)
Murray Walker at the 1997 Austrian Grand Prix wrote:The other [Stewart] driver, who nobody's been paying attention to, because he's disappointing, is Jan Magnussen.
Rob Dylan

Post by Rob Dylan »

That moment when you discuss off-handedly with a friend about getting tickets to the British Grand Prix this year, and the general admission ticket is £195 at the cheapest. I mean, oh my god. That's ridiculous. I don't ever remember it costing that much. That's ridiculous. Oh my god. Seriously? £195?
roblo97

Post by roblo97 »

Rob Dylan wrote:That moment when you discuss off-handedly with a friend about getting tickets to the British Grand Prix this year, and the general admission ticket is £195 at the cheapest. I mean, oh my god. That's ridiculous. I don't ever remember it costing that much. That's ridiculous. Oh my god. Seriously? £195?

The WEC weekend general admission ticket was £40 and that included paddock access and grandstand access in the ones which were open. It was a great weekend this year although I only done the Sunday this year with my dad.
Mexicola wrote:
shinji wrote:
Mexicola wrote: I'd rather listen to a dog lick its balls. Each to their own, I guess.

Does listening to a dog licking its balls get you excited?

That's between me and my internet service provider.

One of those journalist types.
270 Tube stations in 18:42:50!
AndreaModa

Post by AndreaModa »

Rob Dylan wrote:That moment when you discuss off-handedly with a friend about getting tickets to the British Grand Prix this year, and the general admission ticket is £195 at the cheapest. I mean, oh my god. That's ridiculous. I don't ever remember it costing that much. That's ridiculous. Oh my god. Seriously? £195?

GA ticket plus campsite pass. £250-ish for a five night camping holiday with a load of F1 thrown in. Starts to look a bit different then in my view!

My Motorsport Photos

@DNPQ_
Faustus
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Faustus »

With the recent unfortunate news of the closing of the Donington Collection on the 5th of November I think this is the time to visit. I've been twice before but I don't want to miss the opportunity of going one more time. I'm thinking of friday the 2nd of November or possibly the 26th of October.
(edit - 26th of October is better for me)
I'll be driving from Kent so I can pick up someone along the way, if necessary.
Any takers?
Last edited by Faustus on 11 Oct 2018, 11:26, edited 1 time in total.
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

Faustus wrote:With the recent unfortunate news of the closing of the Donington Collection on the 5th of November I think this is the time to visit. I've been twice before but I don't want to miss the opportunity of going one more time. I'm thinking of friday the 2nd of November or possibly the 26th of October.
I'll be driving from Kent so I can pick up someone along the way, if necessary.
Any takers?

Sadly cannot do either date due to university lectures, but could do the Saturdays, 27th or 3rd.
MCard LOLA
dinizintheoven

Post by dinizintheoven »

Eish! I've never been to the Donington Collection and with it (still) practically on my doorstep, I should. Keep us posted, I'll turn up whenever needed.
Faustus
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Faustus »

dinizintheoven wrote:Eish! I've never been to the Donington Collection and with it (still) practically on my doorstep, I should. Keep us posted, I'll turn up whenever needed.

Hey Jim!
26th of October. I’m aiming to leave home in Kent nice and early and be at the museum for opening time and stay as long as possible. I can pick up anyone who needs a lift who is reasonably along the way.
dinizintheoven

Post by dinizintheoven »

Marvellous. And if anyone wants to stay for the finest burgers IN THE WORLD afterwards, I know where to go... provided we don't leave it too late.
Faustus
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Faustus »

Sounds like a plan!
I can’t leave too late because I have a 3-hour drive to get back home.
Barbazza

Post by Barbazza »

I've somehow only just seen this - if I'd known it was closing earlier I would have gone, even though I've been twice before. Why has it closed, just not making enough cash? And what happens to the Lec and the pink Branham now, eh?
mario

Post by mario »

Barbazza wrote:I've somehow only just seen this - if I'd known it was closing earlier I would have gone, even though I've been twice before. Why has it closed, just not making enough cash? And what happens to the Lec and the pink Branham now, eh?

Kevin Wheatcroft had said he was able to persuade MSV to keep the museum open until now (having originally been scheduled for closure in 2017, it seems), but that the museum 'did not fit into the business plans of MSV'.

The indication is that the museum had been losing money for some time though - Jonathan Palmer has indicated that visitor numbers had been in decline and that MSV didn't think it was a worthwhile investment, and from what a few visitors have said, it sounds as if some of the exhibits that were on loan from private collectors had been returned to their original owners in the past few years to cut costs.

As for what will happen next, those cars which don't belong to the Wheatcroft family seem to have been returned to their original owners, whilst they themselves are currently mulling over what to do with the remains of their collection. There has been a little bit of idle speculation that, to spread costs, they might loan their cars to another major motor museum - perhaps at Silverstone or at Beaulieu - though it seems a bit too early to say exactly what will happen just yet.

https://www.leicestermercury.co.uk/news ... ay-2111167
Martin Brundle, on watching a replay of Grosjean spinning:
"The problem with Grosjean is that he want to take a look back at the corner he's just exited"
Faustus
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Faustus »

Unfortunately I couldn't make it to the museum. I could really only do it on 1 day but my car failed its MOT the day before. That was fun. I spent the day that I would have gone to the museum with dinizintheoven dicking around with an airbag sensor.
dinizintheoven went and said it was alright, despite most of the McLarens and Williams having already gone.
Last edited by Faustus on 19 Nov 2018, 08:32, edited 1 time in total.
dinizintheoven

Post by dinizintheoven »

No McLarens, one Williams (a 1903 FW08C as tested by some bloke called Senna to see if he would be any good at this F1 lark), but a near-complete collection of Force Indias did go some way to making up for that - and there was reject gold in its Spyker predecessor, along with still a fair few F1, F3 and F5000 cars from the 1970s and 1980s. And some Vanwalls, and some German WWII-era military equipment that could never have gone on display in its home country.

Certainly not a waste of a morning. I never found out what the race was that was happening at the same time, though.
Rob Dylan

Post by Rob Dylan »

Oof, that sounds like it would have been worth the trip for the Spyker alone! F1 absolutely needs more obscuro reject teams again. They should just open the floodgates and let the next three teams who sign up in :D Oh, and one of them should sign Winkelhock :P
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

dinizintheoven wrote:one Williams (a 1903 FW08C),

Wow, I would love to have seen that. Wonder how well it did in that year's Grand Prix against HWNSNBM's compatriot, Ferenc Szisz?
MCard LOLA
dinizintheoven

Post by dinizintheoven »

dr-baker wrote:

Wow, I would love to have seen that. Wonder how well it did in that year's Grand Prix against HWNSNBM's compatriot, Ferenc Szisz?

The race was won by Dr. Emmett Brown. Put it that way.
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

dinizintheoven wrote:
dr-baker wrote:

The race was won by Dr. Emmett Brown. Put it that way.

I should have known it was won by The Doctor. Doctor Who? I don't mean Valentino Rossi...
MCard LOLA
mario

Post by mario »

dinizintheoven wrote:No McLarens, one Williams (a 1903 FW08C as tested by some bloke called Senna to see if he would be any good at this F1 lark), but a near-complete collection of Force Indias did go some way to making up for that - and there was reject gold in its Spyker predecessor, along with still a fair few F1, F3 and F5000 cars from the 1970s and 1980s. And some Vanwalls, and some German WWII-era military equipment that could never have gone on display in its home country.

Certainly not a waste of a morning. I never found out what the race was that was happening at the same time, though.

That does seem to tie in with what some have been saying, which is that the collection at the museum was already partially depleted and that a number of cars had been returned (I presume that McLaren have taken back their cars, and Williams probably have done the same too), with the Wheatcroft family putting some of the WWII vehicles that they owned into the museum to help pad out the collection a bit. Good to hear that you did enjoy it, even if perhaps it wasn't quite at its full glory.
Martin Brundle, on watching a replay of Grosjean spinning:
"The problem with Grosjean is that he want to take a look back at the corner he's just exited"
dinizintheoven

Post by dinizintheoven »

And the one thing I didn't mention was that it was half price to get in, because of the loss of the "main" attractions of the collection. It actually cost me more to get there on the bus...
Faustus
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Faustus »

dinizintheoven wrote:one Williams (a 1903 FW08C as tested by some bloke called Senna to see if he would be any good at this F1 lark)

Never heard of him.
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

Faustus wrote:
dinizintheoven wrote:one Williams (a 1903 FW08C as tested by some bloke called Senna to see if he would be any good at this F1 lark)

Never heard of him.

First name Bruno. Teammate to Pastor Maldonado, Williams's last race winner...
MCard LOLA