The 2019 car (and livery) launch thread

The place for speaking your mind on current goings-on in F1
Faustus
Site Donor
Site Donor

The 2019 car (and livery) launch thread

Post by Faustus »

I noticed that this thread hadn't been started yet so I took the liberty of doing so.

Today Haas showed off their new livery. It's very black with some gold highlights and lettering, in a very Team Enstone circa 2011 way:

https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/14136 ... car-reveal

Or perhaps the Toyota F109 test car that Pirelli used.
Following Formula 1 since 1984.
Avid collector of Formula 1 season guides and reviews.
Collector of reject merchandise and 1/43rd scale reject model cars.
Pacific Edge

Re: The 2019 car (and livery) launch thread

Post by Pacific Edge »

Not bad at all. When I first read about Rich Energy sponsoring the team I immediately pictured a Lotus clone, yet they managed to do it in such a way, their car still looks origional. Will be interesting to see what Renault do, as the two cars could look similar except for gold/yellow.
Waris

Post by Waris »

Pacific 777 wrote:Not bad at all. When I first read about Rich Energy sponsoring the team I immediately pictured a Lotus clone, yet they managed to do it in such a way, their car still looks origional. Will be interesting to see what Renault do, as the two cars could look similar except for gold/yellow.

The obvious solution for Renault would be: add more yellow...
MOTOR RACING IS DANGEROUS
Wallio
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Wallio »

Judging by here and Twitter and Reddit and other forums, I seem to be the only person not to like it. And I HATE it. Which annoys me because Haas has obviously been my team since they joined. But talk about unoriginal tripe. They just took an '80s JPS Lotus and went "Yeah, that." Oooo they added white "HAAS" letters, big f'ning deal. Also I'm questioning the sponsor, as I'm 90% sure Rich Energy isn't sold in America. Its certainly not sold here in PA. Kind of an odd team choice there.
Professional Historian/Retired Drag Racer/Whiskey Enthusiast

"He makes the move on the outside, and knowing George as we do, he's probably on the radio right now telling the team how great he is." - James Hinchcliffe on George Russell
Pacific Edge

Post by Pacific Edge »

Waris wrote:The obvious solution for Renault would be: add more yellow...

Yeah, fair enough, they at least have 4 days to fix things..
Waris

Post by Waris »

Pacific 777 wrote:

Now I wonder: do teams ever plan their launches to adjust their liveries to those of other teams, or are the liveries decided looong before that?

By the way, I'd like to say that among the corporate dread of Alfa Romeo and the sheer blandness of Racing Point, I'm loving these shenanigans with Haas and Rich Energy. It has a very disorganized, shabby, late 80s-early 90s feeling to it. I'd say it has shades of Andrea Moda (and I don't just mean the livery). I think we should all celebrate it. It's... positively REJECTFUL!
Salamander

Post by Salamander »

Wallio wrote:Judging by here and Twitter and Reddit and other forums, I seem to be the only person not to like it. And I HATE it. Which annoys me because Haas has obviously been my team since they joined. But talk about unoriginal tripe. They just took an '80s JPS Lotus and went "Yeah, that." Oooo they added white "HAAS" letters, big f'ning deal. Also I'm questioning the sponsor, as I'm 90% sure Rich Energy isn't sold in America. Its certainly not sold here in PA. Kind of an odd team choice there.

Don't worry - I despise this livery too. It's so utterly devoid of any creativity or identity, just like the Williams Martini livery. Why couldn't Haas just get whoever does their NASCAR liveries to do it? I'd love to see this on their F1 car...

Sebastian Vettel wrote:If I was good at losing I wouldn't be in Formula 1.
Everything's great.
I'm not surprised about anything.
CarloSpace
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by CarloSpace »

Yeah, not a fan of it either. It's just black with some gold accents and white Haas logo on the side. There's nothing wrong in black liveries (Andrea Moda, Arrows A19) but this one is just bland wannabe-JPS-Lotus-esque mishmash.

But, my opinion might change once I see it one track. Promo pics are always just promo pics and the car could be whole lot different come Australia and natural lighting.
Waris

Post by Waris »

So apparently Williams have found a new title sponsor: https://twitter.com/ChrisMedlandF1/status/1093543436484071424

I wonder if that could mean a major livery shakeup? I just hope it's not dark blue.
Butterfox
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Butterfox »

i honestly would love to see this livery on a Williams car! http://palmeter.com/wp-content/pics/C5Hist1.jpg
I don't know what i want and i want it now!
UncreativeUsername37

Post by UncreativeUsername37 »

It's black. With a few lines of gold. But it's pretty much one solid colour. It's almost as boring as last year's Ferrari. But Ferrari is allowed to be boring. A team that's been around for only a few years isn't.
Rob Dylan wrote:Mercedes paying homage to the other W12 chassis by breaking down 30 minutes in
FortiWinks

Post by FortiWinks »

Can we start referring to the team as Lothaas then?

(Sorry, not sorry)
Knows two facts about ducks and both of them are wrong
Rob Dylan

Post by Rob Dylan »

I thought it was very underwhelming. To me, black is a very uninteresting for cars - I always like a bit of blue, red or yellow thrown in there somewhere. This is a little too mono-chromatic for my personal tastes. Let's hope the other liveries will be less underwhelming :evil:

It also reminded me of this scene from Spinal Tap:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=46kXH6GGtT0
Murray Walker at the 1997 Austrian Grand Prix wrote:The other [Stewart] driver, who nobody's been paying attention to, because he's disappointing, is Jan Magnussen.
Felipe Nasr - the least forgettable F1 driver!
mario

Post by mario »

Waris wrote:
Pacific 777 wrote:

Now I wonder: do teams ever plan their launches to adjust their liveries to those of other teams, or are the liveries decided looong before that?

By the way, I'd like to say that among the corporate dread of Alfa Romeo and the sheer blandness of Racing Point, I'm loving these shenanigans with Haas and Rich Energy. It has a very disorganized, shabby, late 80s-early 90s feeling to it. I'd say it has shades of Andrea Moda (and I don't just mean the livery). I think we should all celebrate it. It's... positively REJECTFUL!

The way that the founder of Rich Energy has been boasting about his company and about Haas as well, from taking pot shots at Red Bull through to comparing his critics to conspiracy theorists, does have a very strong vibe of the sort of antics that teams like Andrea Moda went though in the 1990s.

I can't help but wonder if this is going to backfire spectacularly later on in the season - particularly as it turns out that the company Whyte Bikes is pursuing legal action in the UK's Intellectual Property Enterprise Court against Rich Energy, with Whyte Bikes accusing Rich Energy of imitating their logo (the hearing is due in March, with final judgement due in May). You would have thought that Haas might have been a bit more wary about dealing with a company that is currently facing that sort of litigation, but evidently not.

It seems that it's not the only questionable deal that has been done recently though, as Red Bull are facing some awkward questions over one of their new sponsors too. They have signed a deal with a company called FuturoCoin, which is one of the many cryptocurrency companies that have sprung up over the past few years.

However, there have been quite a few questions raised over FuturoCoin, which a number of individuals have accused of running a Ponzi style scam, and it seems that the company is currently being investigated in Poland over accusations that it is defrauding its customers - allegations that, it seems, Red Bull have declined to respond to when asked about them by the Polish media.
Martin Brundle, on watching a replay of Grosjean spinning:
"The problem with Grosjean is that he want to take a look back at the corner he's just exited"
dinizintheoven

Post by dinizintheoven »

What next, Mercedes announcing a sponsorship deal with The World's Only Clean Energy Solution That Will Free 'Murica Of Middle Eastern Oil Forever that can be traced to a run-down shack in Scottsdale, Arizona?
James Allen, on his favourite F1 engine of all time:
"...the Life W12, I can't describe the noise to you, but imagine filling your dustbin with nuts and bolts, and then throwing it down the stairs, it was something akin to that!"
Faustus
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Faustus »

The Toro Rosso has been revealed:

https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/14142 ... -f1-design

The livery is the same as last year and the car isn't very different, apart from the changes enforced by new regulations.

Gary Anderson's analysis:

https://www.autosport.com/f1/feature/88 ... is-closing
Last edited by Faustus on 11 Feb 2019, 16:01, edited 1 time in total.
Faustus
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Faustus »

The Williams with new Herbie Hancock sponsorhip:

https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/14142 ... r-for-2019
Miguel98

Post by Miguel98 »

Faustus wrote:The Williams with new Herbie Hancock sponsorhip:

https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/14142 ... r-for-2019

In my opinion, this looks terrible. The livery looks like it was designed by a 10 year playing around in Paint, who found out about the brush tool and used it on the edges of the car.
Mario on Gutierrez after the Italian Grand Prix wrote:He's no longer just a bit of a tool, he's the entire tool set.

18-07-2015: Forever in our hearts Jules.
25-08-2015: Forever in our hearts Justin.
Wallio
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Wallio »

That Williams is pretty poor...

"He makes the move on the outside, and knowing George as we do, he's probably on the radio right now telling the team how great he is." - James Hinchcliffe on George Russell
CaptainGetz12
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by CaptainGetz12 »

Wallio wrote:That Williams is pretty poor...

As long as Sauber/Alfa Romeo don't run a majority white car this year it'll be distinct at least! The Rokit sponsorship clashes with it though.

Should of made the white some stripes rather than the inside fill:

I thought of returning to the grey and green Saudia livery, but after the latest amount of news from Saudi Arabia maybe that'd be in poor taste :D
Last edited by CaptainGetz12 on 11 Feb 2019, 19:03, edited 1 time in total.
Klon wrote:What did poor André do to you for him to be insulted like that?
Ataxia
Not Important

Post by Ataxia »

Faustus wrote:The Toro Rosso has been revealed:

https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/14142 ... -f1-design

The livery is the same as last year and the car isn't very different, apart from the changes enforced by new regulations.

Gary Anderson's analysis:

Gary Anderson AND...? ;)
Mitch Hedberg wrote:I want to be a race car passenger: just a guy who bugs the driver. Say man, can I turn on the radio? You should slow down. Why do we gotta keep going in circles? Man, you really like Tide...
novitopoli
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by novitopoli »

What's this fad about unknown startups becoming Formula 1 title sponsors? First Rich Energy, now these guys...

In other news, McLaren have found someone willing to pump a tiny bit of cash into their accounts...
sw3ishida wrote:Jolyon Palmer brought us closer as a couple, for which I am grateful.

Ataxia wrote:
Londoner wrote:Something I've thought about - what happens to our canon should we have a worldwide recession or some other outside event?

We'll be fine. It's Canon, non Kodak.
dinizintheoven

Post by dinizintheoven »

With due warning about the two commenters below being the kind of people who need an account on Grammarly, here's some reaction to Williams' new title sponsor:

calvinnnng on motorsport.com wrote:So another new company that don't actually sell a product yet?

Laszlo70 on motorsport.com wrote:but 2 saw rockit company. One makes T-shirts and ugly hoodies and sweatshirts at a price that you could buy quality clothes. Theirs look rather ugly and poorly designed. The other rockit hasn't sold anything yet, they designed some rather primitive looking and boring cell-phone but there is none sold yet. Both rokit are new and probably no sales record either. Both has a website but looks to be designed and built by a 10 year old kid or somebody with basic web design knowledge.
Neither one made a dollar sales and they are the primary sponsor of an f1 team. Just like the Haas's Rich Energy.

Let me just say - John Delorean was a visionary men. He just did not do the finance properly. Maybe he should have opened a company and take out a full page ad in every major magazine and then starting financing the Delorean by that company.
Could this be the new future ?

Earth calling Lawrence Stroll! This is Earth calling Lawrence Stroll! We have the perfect name for "Racing Point"! Can you read me, Lawrence Stroll? I repeat, we have the perfect name for "Racing Point"!

Meanwhile, there is much wailing and gnashing of teeth and grandstanding about McLaren's decision to accept sponsorship from British American Tobacco alongside Ferrari's not-at-all-well-disguised continuous relationship with Philip Morris. Much of it is along these lines:

Lazarou on motorsport.com wrote:Very sad to see them take the money over morals.

To which I can only add:

Frank Williams wrote:I'd like to announce my team's title sponsorship with Saudia and Albilad. Because it's 1978 and my legs still work, I'm going to do a merry dance to celebrate. And I'll do it again in a year and a half or so when we've designed a ground-effect car and it wins, because the hardline Wahhabist regime has demanded that we are not allowed to have champagne on the podium, we have capitulated to their demands and there'll be no other way of celebrating. Alan... ALAN! I can see you cracking open a cheeky tinnie in the back of the garage. Stop that. Can't annoy the new sponsors, can we?

Alan Jones wrote:Mate.
"...the Life W12, I can't describe the noise to you, but imagine filling your dustbin with nuts and bolts, and then throwing it down the stairs, it was something akin to that!"
good_Ralf

Post by good_Ralf »

dinizintheoven wrote:
Frank Williams wrote:I'd like to announce my team's title sponsorship with Saudia and Albilad. Because it's 1978 and my legs still work, I'm going to do a merry dance to celebrate. And I'll do it again in a year and a half or so when we've designed a ground-effect car and it wins, because the hardline Wahhabist regime has demanded that we are not allowed to have champagne on the podium, we have capitulated to their demands and there'll be no other way of celebrating. Alan... ALAN! I can see you cracking open a cheeky tinnie in the back of the garage. Stop that. Can't annoy the new sponsors, can we?

Alan Jones wrote:Mate.

:lol: :D Early post-of-the-year contender here.

I generally like Toro Rosso's deep blue livery, no problems there. While I find Williams' new paint job to be okay, I'll wait until the car appears on track, in natural light, before having a proper verdict on it.
Check out the position of the sun on 2 August at 20:08 in my garden

Allard Kalff in 1994 wrote:OH!! Schumacher in the wall! Right in front of us, Michael Schumacher is in the wall! He's hit the pitwall, he c... Ah, it's Jos Verstappen.
UncreativeUsername37

RaceFans wrote:“We spent quite a lot of time on this livery,” explained Williams deputy team principal Claire Williams.

really because it looks like you spent two minutes in photoshop, most of which was spent fumbling through the menus
Rob Dylan wrote:Mercedes paying homage to the other W12 chassis by breaking down 30 minutes in
mario

Post by mario »

novitopoli wrote:What's this fad about unknown startups becoming Formula 1 title sponsors? First Rich Energy, now these guys...

In other news, McLaren have found someone willing to pump a tiny bit of cash into their accounts...

Well, there are those who want a return to how the sport was in the 1990s, and they're getting it in some senses - just in the sense that the sport is now going back to attracting tobacco sponsors and dodgy characters from all walks of life, not to mention pay drivers buying out teams.
"The problem with Grosjean is that he want to take a look back at the corner he's just exited"
Pacific Edge

Post by Pacific Edge »

UncreativeUsername37 wrote:really because it looks like you spent two minutes in photoshop, most of which was spent fumbling through the menus

Speaking of photoshop, Would it be a good idea if an F1 team actually held a competition to the public to design a livery? I've seen some good fan art on sites like Deviantart, and to be honest, these days, unless there is a major sponsorship change, we keep seeing the same stuff over and over again, like they have the same people who keep coming up with the same ideas. Your thoughts?

EDIT: Renault have unveiled the R.S. 19
https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/arti ... oi2r5.html
mario

Post by mario »

Pacific 777 wrote:
UncreativeUsername37 wrote:really because it looks like you spent two minutes in photoshop, most of which was spent fumbling through the menus

Speaking of photoshop, Would it be a good idea if an F1 team actually held a competition to the public to design a livery? I've seen some good fan art on sites like Deviantart, and to be honest, these days, unless there is a major sponsorship change, we keep seeing the same stuff over and over again, like they have the same people who keep coming up with the same ideas. Your thoughts?

EDIT: Renault have unveiled the R.S. 19
https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/arti ... oi2r5.html

The thing is, I do wonder how many of those amateur designers have designed those various liveries around a static frame of reference. It is one thing to see how that livery looks in a rendering engine when the model is fixed in position with optimal lighting conditions and, quite often, against a plain background as well - but how well would those liveries work when the car is not in that perfect environment?
dinizintheoven

Post by dinizintheoven »

I knew I'd seen the Williams livery before.

Reject-tastic!
CaptainGetz12
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by CaptainGetz12 »

If Williams is going back to rejectful British F1 throwbacks, there is only one baby blue livery you can do:

Klon wrote:What did poor André do to you for him to be insulted like that?
Waris

Post by Waris »

dinizintheoven wrote:I knew I'd seen the Williams livery before.

Reject-tastic!

Oh dear, that's not a good omen then, because that was BRM's last ever livery...
Faustus
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Faustus »

Ataxia wrote:
Faustus wrote:Gary Anderson's analysis:

Gary Anderson AND...? ;)

Some geezah who seems to know his shite.
Pacific Edge

Post by Pacific Edge »

Merc have pulled the sheet of their latest:

https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/arti ... x6Koi.html

I have to say, these new regulations are making for some seriously good looking cars, hope they make for equally good racing.

Racing Point's turn

https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/arti ... MkB4q.html

The ugliest physical design so far, but yeah, how it goes is more important.
Wallio
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Wallio »

Racing Point brings back the phallic nose. And with the pink livery it looks quite vibrator-ish.......

UncreativeUsername37

I love the Mercedes livery. It's nice to finally be able to say that. So now they're going to suck, I guess.

The Force India, er, Racing Point livery isn't bad. The trouble is that it looks like it's going for a shiny explosion of awesome like Toro Rosso have managed and it's just... decent. I can certainly live with it.
sswishbone

Post by sswishbone »

Red Bull unveiled yesterday...

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/formula1/47229337

What the hell is that? It looks awful!
"Hispania are a waste of talent and petrol!" Martin Brundle, Australia Qualifying 2011

Live streams and podcasts from yours truly at http://www.youtube.com/user/sswishbone
Pacific Edge

Post by Pacific Edge »

They say it's a one off, and not the actual livery, which begs the question, why do it in the first place?
Faustus
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Faustus »

The Alfa Romeo on track in camouflage livery:

https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/14149 ... ack-emerge
Faustus
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Faustus »

Wallio
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Wallio »

Just what in the hell is Alfa doing with that front wing? Outwash? Or some other bizarre loophole?