14%
Rob Dylan
21%

Total votes: 14

TomPryce

ROTR: Hungarian GP

Post by TomPryce »

1) Ferrari - where were they????
2) No2 Drivers.... Bottas and Gasly must know the game is up?
Remembering a Welsh sporting hero. Pleidiol wyf i'm gwlad.
Londoner

Your Reject of the Race - Hungary

Post by Londoner »

1. Antonio Giovinazzi. Utterly atrocious weekend leading to him finishing behind a Williams on merit.

2. Verstappen's strategy. Those hard tyres were never going to make the finish. They handed the race to Mercedes on a plate.

Honourable mentions to Ferrari (inexcusable to be over a minute behind at the finish) and Valtteri Bottas (who's probably nailed the coffin shut on his Mercedes career).
Fetzie on Ferrari wrote:How does a driver hurtling around a race track while they're sous-viding in their overalls have a better understanding of the race than a team of strategy engineers in an air-conditioned room?l
IceG

Re: Your Reject of the Race - Hungary

Post by IceG »

(1) Ferrari - are they Formula 1.5 now?
mario

Post by mario »

I expect there will be a few nominations for him, but this was just the sort of weekend that Bottas did not need at a time when he knows that Mercedes are weighing up whether to hire him or Ocon for 2019.

OK, his performance in qualifying was decent, but it all went wrong from the start - fighting with Hamilton in a way that just allowed Verstappen to bolt, then managing to damage his car fighting with both Hamilton and Leclerc wrecked his race very early on (and I can't imagine the team would have been at all impressed if he'd punctured Hamilton's tyres at the start there).

Now, it sounds like he might have been hampered a bit by front brake temperatures too, but he wasn't that decisive when trying to cut through the field either - both in Germany and here today, he had a golden chance to close the gap to Hamilton and has only seen it grow instead. I hope I am wrong on this front, but this does feel like the sort of driving that we see from Bottas at about the time that he starts slumping in form...

Giovinazzi, too, had a horror show of a weekend - slow in qualifying, and only drawing attention for the wrong reasons (blocking Stroll), followed by an anonymous and slow race whilst Kimi battled in the points.

The other oddity was that, as in previous years, the number of clumsy pit stops in the race was also rather surprising - how many times did we see wheels sticking or mechanics banging the wheels against each other when changing them?

Not for the first time, I do also feel that the race director was a little clumsy and missed quite a few of the passes as they happened, with a fair chunk of the action being shown in replays instead.

Ferrari's pace was also poor, but then again I was expecting them to be fairly poor - when they were already having problems with maxing out their downforce earlier in the season and were still off the pace, a circuit like the Hungaroring, which really doesn't suit their design philosophy, was likely to be one of their weaker circuits, so that's more of an honourable mention.
Martin Brundle, on watching a replay of Grosjean spinning:
"The problem with Grosjean is that he want to take a look back at the corner he's just exited"
Fetzie

Post by Fetzie »

My first nomination is Ferrari. I don't think anybody but the most devoted Tifosi was expecting them to win today, but to finish a minute behind the first place car (remember, they both burned 20 seconds on an unplanned pit stop too) is just beyond any expectations. If either of the first two didn't pit, they'd probably have lapped one of the Ferraris.

My second nomination is Bottas. He was lucky that he only ruined his own race when he touched Hamilton and Leclerc on lap one. He is a man under pressure, his boss said he would decide who drives alongside Lewis next year during the summer break, and he did his prospects no favours this afternoon.
Meatwad

Post by Meatwad »

My nomination goes to Valtteri Bottas. In a race where his team mate truly excelled, he had a much less impressive showing – he ruined the race for himself right at the start (and almost took out Hamilton and Leclerc in process), then struggled to make his way through the field, ending up lapped. After Hockenheim and this, I think Ocon has a slightly better chance of taking that seat for 2020...
Miguel98

Post by Miguel98 »

Valtteri Bottas - The mid-season slump has began, and it's all downhill from here it seems.. This is two races in a row he could have won points on Lewis and he's now almost behind Max in the championship. Bottas needs to up his game again, else Ocon will be very happy to take that seat next year.

Antonio Giovinazzi - I wonder who's been the worst team-mate this year: Gio or Gasly. And both are graduates from the same season of GP2... Giovinazzi suffered a horrible weekend, with the penalty after blocking Stroll and then getting beaten by an Williams outright. Ericsson is knocking on that seat again..

Whoever wrote the dummy pitstop rule - Can... you... like enforce it?!
Mario on Gutierrez after the Italian Grand Prix wrote:He's no longer just a bit of a tool, he's the entire tool set.

18-07-2015: Forever in our hearts Jules.
25-08-2015: Forever in our hearts Justin.
rachel1990

Post by rachel1990 »

1- Got to go with Antonio Giovinazzi. Such a poor weekend from him and to be absolutely thrashed by his teammate and finish on merit behind Russel's Williams. I hate to point out that he only has 1 point at the moment (compared to Kimi's 31. okay it would have been more if the tea hadn't made a pig's ear of the previous race) and I doubt he will be in the seat next season...

2- Ferrari god this is getting boring. Almost lapped by the front two and nowhere near the pace. Again.

HM- Bottas. Dreadful start and a dreadful race all round at exactly the wrong moment. Could have cost himself the drive for 2020.

HM- Gasly. Again. This was the main weekend that Red Bull were looking too as it suited there cars etc and guess what, He had ANOTHER very bad start and finished in 6th. Again. Behind a Mclaren. Again. and lapped by his teammate. Again. and behind the Ferrari's that his teammate almost lapped. Again. Its just getting boring now.
Benetton of 1992. Never a reject
CaptainGetz12
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by CaptainGetz12 »

1) Renault. Ricciardo could not make his strategy work, and Hulkenberg slid down and out of the points over the course of the race. A weekend to forget.

2) Valtteri Bottas. Yes he got miffed from chipping his front wing on the opening lap, but he struggled to climb up the field.

(Dis)honourable Mentions:
Pierre Gasly (Stuck with the Mclarens for the race while his teammate fought for the win)

Antonio Giovinazzi (Struggled to escape the Q1 positions all race)

Racing Point (Perez is working in spite of his car, not because of it. Stroll was nowhere this time.)
Last edited by CaptainGetz12 on 20 Aug 2019, 23:41, edited 1 time in total.
Klon wrote:What did poor André do to you for him to be insulted like that?
Vassago

Post by Vassago »

1. Antonio Giovinazzi - back to his slow & anonymous self. Well on his way to become Mr Anonymous 2019.

2. Valtteri Bottas - used as a pinball on the opening lap which piles more pressure on the 2020 contract.

3. Renault - their least competitive showing of the season even with this being Hulk's worst F1 track on record.
95 GP / 63 DNF / 5 pts
Pacific Edge

Post by Pacific Edge »

1st: Ferrari In terms of gap time, they got absolutely trounced, didn't look like a team competing for the title (And dare I say this year, they really aren't)

2nd: Bottas: Threw it away, plain and simple. Ocon must be eyeing that seat now.

3rd. Pitstops A difficult day up and down pit lane
Faustus
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Faustus »

Antonio Giovinazzi.
Following Formula 1 since 1984.
Avid collector of Formula 1 season guides and reviews.
Collector of reject merchandise and 1/43rd scale reject model cars.
Nuppiz
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Nuppiz »

To be fair, Bottas had a tear-off visor stuck on his front wing soon after his first pit stop which definitely didn't help matters when going through the the field.

The collision with Hamilton was avoidable by Bottas, but to me it seemed that Vettel (?) chopped rather harshly across the track which caused the majority of the damage.

Then again, I'd still expect a Mercedes to not have such a rough time making up lost places, so it's still justifiable to nominate Bottas as ROTR.
Eurosport broadcast for the 1990 Mexican GP prequalifying:
"The Life, it looked very lifeless yet again... in fact Bruno did one, slow lap"
You-Gee-Eee-Day

Post by You-Gee-Eee-Day »

At this point I think it needs to be said, Ferrari are absolutely throwing away this season. So many times they could have achieved, this race included, and every time it's a stupid mistake that costs them. I seriously don't think we can consider them contenders for the championship anymore, and I'd even go so far as to say Ferrari have almost been relegated to Formula 1.5.

Gasly. At this point, I'm going to nominate him every time he fails to do the bare minimum expected of a driver in a top car. He's had months and months to get used to the car, every possibly excuse has been worn away. As far as I'm concerned a Red Bull which finishes behind a McLaren, and which struggled to overtake an Alfa Romeo, when its partner car was leading the race for almost the whole race, and which is finishing in the top 4 reliably and winning races, is simply unacceptable. It is in fact embarassing. On that note:

Red Bull - whatever it costs, whatever the severance pay is, whatever amount of money you have to pay to prematurely terminate Gasly's contract - pay it. He is like a massive weight holding the team back. You could foesibly be ahead of Ferrari in constructors points if not for Gasly. There is NO WAY that the amount of money you would have to pay Gasly to get rid of him is more than the money you're losing by pissing away the opportunity you've had. Who do you replace him with? Pretty sure there are drivers lining up to take his place, take your pick. When is your pride in not firing drivers going to be overwhelmed by the hit your pride is taking when Gasly is finishing 8th? 10th? 11th?
:deletraz:

F1 2019 in a nutshell:
Roses are Red
Violets are Blue
"Ferrari is faster"
Mercedes 1-2
Samster

Post by Samster »

Quite a few underwhelming performances this time.

Ferrari Absolutely nowhere, actually finished closer to Sainz than they did to Max/Lewis.

Gasly Anytime he finishes behind a F1.5 on merit will earn him a nomination.

Bottas If his crash last time was the deciding factor for his future then this should be the final nail. If they chose him over Ocon next season I will groan so hard.

Renault Engines back into 'safe mode' apparently, and deep into midfield.

Giovinazzi Penalised for blocking in qualifying then never made any recovery in the race.

Stroll Both qualified and finished behind a Williams on merit.
Alextrax52

Post by Alextrax52 »

Ferrari: Where were they? I know this wasn’t a great track for them but they finished over a minute behind. The kicker though comes when you consider that Max and Lewis both made an extra stop. Without that both cars would surely have been lapped. Soul searching to be done at Maranello.

Pierre Gasly: Finished behind a McLaren on merit. Finished 6th but Red Bull aren’t paying him to score minor points. Could cost Red Bull 2nd in the championship

Valterri Bottas: Mighty qualifying lap. Went downhill from there. Lucky not to give Hamilton some damage. Only salvaged 8th. We may as well give Hamilton the 2020 title if he’s confirmed for next year

Antonio Giovanazzi: Slow, ponderous, Finished behind a Williams on Merit. All while Raikkonen finished 7th. I know there was the penalty last weekend but the 31-1 points tally at Alfa makes for grim reading.

Lance Stroll: Slow, ponderous, Finished behind a Williams on merit. It’ll never happen while his dad owns the team but can we please swap Russell and Stroll around next year?
SuzukiSwift

Post by SuzukiSwift »

You-Gee-Eee-Day wrote:At this point I think it needs to be said, Ferrari are absolutely throwing away this season. So many times they could have achieved, this race included, and every time it's a stupid mistake that costs them. I seriously don't think we can consider them contenders for the championship anymore, and I'd even go so far as to say Ferrari have almost been relegated to Formula 1.5.

Gasly. At this point, I'm going to nominate him every time he fails to do the bare minimum expected of a driver in a top car. He's had months and months to get used to the car, every possibly excuse has been worn away. As far as I'm concerned a Red Bull which finishes behind a McLaren, and which struggled to overtake an Alfa Romeo, when its partner car was leading the race for almost the whole race, and which is finishing in the top 4 reliably and winning races, is simply unacceptable. It is in fact embarassing. On that note:

Red Bull - whatever it costs, whatever the severance pay is, whatever amount of money you have to pay to prematurely terminate Gasly's contract - pay it. He is like a massive weight holding the team back. You could foesibly be ahead of Ferrari in constructors points if not for Gasly. There is NO WAY that the amount of money you would have to pay Gasly to get rid of him is more than the money you're losing by pissing away the opportunity you've had. Who do you replace him with? Pretty sure there are drivers lining up to take his place, take your pick. When is your pride in not firing drivers going to be overwhelmed by the hit your pride is taking when Gasly is finishing 8th? 10th? 11th?

RBR can’t fire him because there is basically 1 person that can replace him on such short notice (Kyvat) and the man who would be in the second TR seat. It’s either the quite bad Matsushita or 31 year old Naoki Yamamoto - I don’t think O’Ward qualifies.
IceG

Post by IceG »

SuzukiSwift wrote: RBR can’t fire him because there is basically 1 person that can replace him on such short notice (Kyvat) and the man who would be in the second TR seat. It’s either the quite bad Matsushita or 31 year old Naoki Yamamoto - I don’t think O’Ward qualifies.

Well Pierre Gasly might be available for Toro Rosso...
CaptainGetz12
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by CaptainGetz12 »

IceG wrote:
SuzukiSwift wrote: RBR can’t fire him because there is basically 1 person that can replace him on such short notice (Kyvat) and the man who would be in the second TR seat. It’s either the quite bad Matsushita or 31 year old Naoki Yamamoto - I don’t think O’Ward qualifies.

Well Pierre Gasly might be available for Toro Rosso...

Jenson Button? He is technically a Honda development driver now :D

My idea for Sebastian Buemi coming back could be an interesting test as well, since he didn't have that great of a season in Formula E.
Klon wrote:What did poor André do to you for him to be insulted like that?
Rob Dylan

Re: ROTR: Hungarian GP

Post by Rob Dylan »

I apologise for being so late in posting this Reject of the Race poll. If you guys still remember what happened in Hungary, get voting over the next 48 hours as to what was the most rejectful thing that happened. If you believe it was me, that's also an option :D
Murray Walker at the 1997 Austrian Grand Prix wrote:The other [Stewart] driver, who nobody's been paying attention to, because he's disappointing, is Jan Magnussen.
Felipe Nasr - the least forgettable F1 driver!
Rob Dylan

Re: ROTR: Hungarian GP

Post by Rob Dylan »

Technically for the second time this year, as he won a joint award in a previous race, Antonio Giovinazzi has won the disrespect of the forum for his awful showing at the Hungaroring. Penalised in qualifying after a poor showing – considering we know what that Alfa Romeo can do now – he was anonymous most of the race and finished second-last, with the IIDOTR winner George Russell and Lance Stroll well in front. And this award is often about perspective as well as anything else: Kimi Räikkönen finished 7th. A weekend he didn’t need when it is around now that contract season is in bloom.
Murray Walker at the 1997 Austrian Grand Prix wrote:The other [Stewart] driver, who nobody's been paying attention to, because he's disappointing, is Jan Magnussen.
Felipe Nasr - the least forgettable F1 driver!