The Junior Series Thread

The place for speaking your mind on current goings-on in F1
Miguel98

Re: The Junior Series Thread

Post by Miguel98 »

I didn't knew Anthoine in person, but I followed his career closely since before his GP3 days. He seemed ike a genuine fellow, and I was really happy when he won GP3 last year.

His performances in F2 this season were great and he seemed set to join one of the top teams for next year. He had loads of talent.

When I saw the news of the Crash (thankfully i wasn't home and didn't catch it live), I was worried. When the news of his death came, I couldn't handle it and I started to cry. This is a driver living his dream, roughly my age, with his life taken away from him so soon.

I'm heartbroken. May he rest in peace. Today, no matter which drivers you support, you should all think of Anthoine when you look up to the sky. The Motorsport community will never forget him. He's one of us. Forever.

The sprint race was cancelled for tomorrow. I hope Correa makes it through and that everyone involved in the crash gets the right psychological support.
Mario on Gutierrez after the Italian Grand Prix wrote:He's no longer just a bit of a tool, he's the entire tool set.

18-07-2015: Forever in our hearts Jules.
25-08-2015: Forever in our hearts Justin.
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

As I have shared with a friend on What's App:
I initially thought it strange when I read on Autosport that the race would not be restarted after a big crash. Then I saw it on YouTube, and thought that it would take a long time to clear up the mess. But that isn't usually a reason to not restart the race. Should have realised at the time that there were serious injuries. They've cancelled tomorrow's F2 race as well.

Reminds me of when I watched an F2 race at Brands Hatch in July 2009, in which Henry Surtees died. Thought it strange at the time that the cars lined up in single file by the pit wall, then returned to the paddock 5-10 minutes later without restarting the race. Although we did realise someone was seriously injured when the medical helicopter took off.

RIP Antoine Hubert.
watka wrote:I find it amusing that whilst you're one of the more openly Christian guys here, you are still first and foremost associated with an eye for the ladies!
dinizintheoven wrote:GOOD CHRISTIANS do not go to jail. EVERYONE ON FORMULA ONE REJECTS should be in jail.
MCard LOLA
Enforcer
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Enforcer »

It's a real freak one, I'd call the odds of a car being T-boned at the thick end of 170mph at an F1 track to be nearly zero, even coming over the blind crest at Radillon. He didn't even come all the way across the track after he hit the barrier: Correa's off the 'racing' surface (ie. over the white line to the right of the track) when his car hits Hubert's.

RIP Anthoine.
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

watka wrote:I find it amusing that whilst you're one of the more openly Christian guys here, you are still first and foremost associated with an eye for the ladies!
dinizintheoven wrote:GOOD CHRISTIANS do not go to jail. EVERYONE ON FORMULA ONE REJECTS should be in jail.
MCard LOLA
Butterfox
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Butterfox »

The Belgian media is here fully blaming the corner. Not saying that corner isn't risky but this is really a freak accident. Still, dang it dang it.
I don't know what i want and i want it now!
WeirdKerr
Location: on the edge of nowhere with a ludicrous grid penalty.....

Post by WeirdKerr »

This wrote:The Belgian media is here fully blaming the corner. Not saying that corner isn't risky but this is really a freak accident. Still, dang it dang it.

having viewed the accident on youtube I would agree with the Belgian media therefore I feel there is no way for the race to go ahead
Butterfox
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Butterfox »

Making people race if they feel uncomfortable is never a good idea. And to be fair the exit of that corner has a 'bouncing back' issue. However the 'never return to Spa' is a bit of an overreaction. But i agree that improvements are necessairy to avoid the bouncing back issue, which has also been present in the 6hrs and 24 hours races. Whenever i watch the 24 hours it seems like an accident waiting to happen. I just don't agree with the 'never return here spa because that place is inherently evil and waste of walloon tax money flemish have to pay for (which they don't) These are the media that want F1 to go to Zolder, an even less safe place.

And yeah don't race when people don't feel good about it. It's pushing your luck.
Alextrax52

Post by Alextrax52 »

Watching the accident live i have to say that’s up there with the Indycar crash that claimed Dan Wheldon’s life in 2011 in terms of the worst I’ve seen. Piecing it together Guilliano Alesi lost control through Eau Rouge and was collected by Hubert who hit the barrier which in itself was a serious impact. And then Hubert’s car came back into Correa’s path however it did look like Correa wasn’t on the racing line. I can’t remember the last time I saw a car split in half and the fact the red flag came out immediately followed by the decision to abandon the race meant I feared the worst.

It’s a horrible tragedy as Hubert was showing real signs of being a Future F1 race winner in a car that wasn’t one of the quickest. The scenes from his Sprint win at Paul Ricard were some of the most memorable of the season and we have lost a truly talented and amazing character. RIP Anthoine Hubert.
FortiWinks

Post by FortiWinks »

I must admit I only have a passing interest in F2 but from what I heard from people who closely follow it he was a fantastic driver and man and should’ve had a long career in F1 but unfortunately life just flashes in front of our eyes…

My thoughts go out to the Hubert family because I know it’s hard losing someone unexpectedly but I cannot imagine losing someone so young at 22, also thoughts to Arden (who fielded Anthonie fabulously over the past year), Juan Manuel Correa (who unfortunately got involved in the accident) and anyone else close both in the F2 paddock and outside.

R.I.P Anthonie
Knows two facts about ducks and both of them are wrong
Nuppiz
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Nuppiz »

No matter how safe the cars and tracks are made, there's always the chance of a freak accident. Unfortunately, this time a talented driver had to pay the ultimate price as a result.

And when it rains, it pours... the F3 race just had a serious accident where Peroni punted Laaksonen into a spin at Blanchimont. Laaksonen was completely buried inside the tyre wall, but thankfully it seems he wasn't seriously hurt.
Eurosport broadcast for the 1990 Mexican GP prequalifying:
"The Life, it looked very lifeless yet again... in fact Bruno did one, slow lap"
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

Nuppiz wrote:.

And when it rains, it pours... the F3 race just had a serious accident where Peroni punted Laaksonen into a spin at Blanchimont. Laaksonen was completely buried inside the tyre wall, but thankfully it seems he wasn't seriously hurt.

I haven't seen that F3 incidentmyself, but reading about it reminded me of Luciano Burti's accident.
MCard LOLA
yannicksamlad
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by yannicksamlad »

Terrible accident, and so sad that the unfortunate circumstances meant that a driver lost his life.
I can't imagine what it must be like for those nearer to him, and of course for his friends, family , loved ones.

Monza seems a bit soon and it'll be a bit empty on the F2 grid, but racing doesn't end and there is always a first race that follows
I started supporting Emmo in 1976 (3 points )....missed 75, 74, 73, 72...
FullMetalJack
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by FullMetalJack »

FortiWinks wrote:I must admit I only have a passing interest in F2 but from what I heard from people who closely follow it he was a fantastic driver and man and should’ve had a long career in F1 but unfortunately life just flashes in front of our eyes…

Same here, haven't caught much of F2 this season, but he did catch my eye at Bahrain.
I like the way Snrub thinks!
Londoner

Post by Londoner »

An update on Juan Manuel Correa has been issued, and the news is not good at all.

“First of all, on behalf of our son we wish to thank everyone within and outside the motorsports community for the wonderful and caring get well wishes that we have received, as well as messages for a speedy recovery. We are confident that Juan Manuel will review them all himself once he is back in charge of his social media accounts.

“Honoring our son’s straight-to-the-point and honesty that characterizes him, we wish to update you on the status of his injuries and physical condition. As time has progressed, new complications have surfaced as a consequence of the massive impact he suffered Saturday in Belgium. On his arrival to London, Juan Manuel was diagnosed with Acute Respiratory Distress Syndrome. This is an injury considered common in high impact accidents such as this one.

“Unfortunately, this injury resulted in Juan Manuel falling into Acute Respiratory Failure. Juan Manuel is currently in an Intensive Care Unit that specializes in respiratory injuries. At this point of time he is an in induced state of unconsciousness and under ECMO support. Juan Manuel is in critical but stable condition.

"We are confident that our son will surprise us like he always does with his tremendous fighting will and strength and will recover completely.

“At this time, we kindly request that our privacy and space be respected. As a family, we need to pull together and be 100% there for Juan Manuel.

“Maria and I wish to take this opportunity to give our condolences to the Hubert family for their loss. Our hearts are broken, and we can only imagine the pain this loss has brought them.”

https://www.motorsport.com/fia-f2/news/correa-critical-stable-update-crash/4533310/

Hopefully he'll pull through, he has the benefit of youth and fitness on his side, but baring a miracle I fear his motorsport career is over :(
Fetzie on Ferrari wrote:How does a driver hurtling around a race track while they're sous-viding in their overalls have a better understanding of the race than a team of strategy engineers in an air-conditioned room?l
Miguel98

Post by Miguel98 »

Meanwhile in F3...

https://au.motorsport.com/fia-formula-3-championship/news/monza-qualifying-lundgaard-red-flag/4532830/

"With less than five minutes to go, over 20 cars were on the back straight before the Parabolica. Some were attempting to finish flying laps at speed while some were running slowly on the racing line, held up by cars ahead starting their next lap.", which then turned into a red flag because everyone was scared a big crash was going to happen. Good decision but what we're the drivers thinking it was a good idea? :facepalm: This then turned into...

https://au.motorsport.com/fia-formula-3-championship/news/monza-f3-grid-reshuffled-by-grid-penalties/4533671/

"A total of 13 drivers, including championship leader Robert Shwartzman and his nearest rival Jehan Daruvala, were handed five-place grid penalties for unnecessarily slowing down, while Leonardo Pulcini was given a three-place grid drop for impeding another driver.

In addition, David Beckmann, Max Fewtrell and polesitter Christian Lundgaard were handed three-place grid penalties, although the latter will retain his starting position."

Please hug me mommy, I'm scared :shock: Bloody hell, the state of this series :facepalm:
Mario on Gutierrez after the Italian Grand Prix wrote:He's no longer just a bit of a tool, he's the entire tool set.

Miguel98

Post by Miguel98 »

Miguel98 wrote:Meanwhile in F3...

https://au.motorsport.com/fia-formula-3-championship/news/monza-qualifying-lundgaard-red-flag/4532830/

"With less than five minutes to go, over 20 cars were on the back straight before the Parabolica. Some were attempting to finish flying laps at speed while some were running slowly on the racing line, held up by cars ahead starting their next lap.", which then turned into a red flag because everyone was scared a big crash was going to happen. Good decision but what we're the drivers thinking it was a good idea? :facepalm: This then turned into...

https://au.motorsport.com/fia-formula-3-championship/news/monza-f3-grid-reshuffled-by-grid-penalties/4533671/

"A total of 13 drivers, including championship leader Robert Shwartzman and his nearest rival Jehan Daruvala, were handed five-place grid penalties for unnecessarily slowing down, while Leonardo Pulcini was given a three-place grid drop for impeding another driver.

In addition, David Beckmann, Max Fewtrell and polesitter Christian Lundgaard were handed three-place grid penalties, although the latter will retain his starting position."

Please hug me mommy, I'm scared :shock: Bloody hell, the state of this series :facepalm:

And after this, today we have this:

What the hell. Driver was perfectly ok (lord hail the halo), but there's so many things wrong to look at it here that caused this crash...

EDIT: Apparently, the sausage kerb suffered some sort of malfunction according to Jack Aitken on twitter. The FIA although have taken precaution measures, and have removed those kerbs before FP3 started.

Salamander

Post by Salamander »

Just saw a clip of that crash, absolutely terrifying. Glad nobody was hurt, but watching a single seater take off like... man we were lucky.
Sebastian Vettel wrote:If I was good at losing I wouldn't be in Formula 1.
Everything's great.
I'm not surprised about anything.
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

Just seen the footage on YouTube myself. One of the comments underneath read:
Bloody glitches in these racing games are just getting silly now. Good graphics though.

Reminds me of this old thread: https://www.gprejects.com/forum/viewtop ... orn#p10460

But yeah, after last weekend, that was too scary, too dramatic.
MCard LOLA
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

Sadly, it looks like that Peroni has fractured some vertebrae.

https://www.autosport.com/f3/news/14583 ... onza-crash
MCard LOLA
Londoner

Post by Londoner »

Raghunathan has scored a point in F2! We truly are living in the End Times. :shock:
Fetzie on Ferrari wrote:How does a driver hurtling around a race track while they're sous-viding in their overalls have a better understanding of the race than a team of strategy engineers in an air-conditioned room?l
Alextrax52

Post by Alextrax52 »

Raghunathan proving that if you drive at your own (limited) pace and others have issues you can have a moment in the sun. 19 more and he’ll equal his penalty point tally.

Looks like the title is De Vries’s to lose after Latifi’s world class bottle job. Illot has done a great job in tough circumstances and he deserved a podium today
Londoner

Post by Londoner »

Another huge F2 accident this morning. Looks like Mazepin cut T2 at a million miles an hour, lost control and barrelled into the side of Matsushita, who then ate the Tecpro barrier hard and got a further impact from Mazepin afterwards. Race has been red-flagged and worryingly there are reports Matsushita has still not been extricated from the car.

Something has to be done about driving standards and tarmac run-offs, this is ridiculous. :(
Miguel98

Post by Miguel98 »

East Londoner wrote:Another huge F2 accident this morning. Looks like Mazepin cut T2 at a million miles an hour, lost control and barrelled into the side of Matsushita, who then ate the Tecpro barrier hard and got a further impact from Mazepin afterwards. Race has been red-flagged and worryingly there are reports Matsushita has still not been extricated from the car.

Something has to be done about driving standards and tarmac run-offs, this is ridiculous. :(

Time to bring spotters to Europe... maybe?

Mazepin forgot how how to take turn 2 in case you missed it, and then crashed into Aitken with predictable consequences.

Samster

Post by Samster »

Miguel98 wrote:
East Londoner wrote:Another huge F2 accident this morning. Looks like Mazepin cut T2 at a million miles an hour, lost control and barrelled into the side of Matsushita, who then ate the Tecpro barrier hard and got a further impact from Mazepin afterwards. Race has been red-flagged and worryingly there are reports Matsushita has still not been extricated from the car.

Time to bring spotters to Europe... maybe?

Mazepin forgot how how to take turn 2 in case you missed it, and then crashed into Aitken with predictable consequences.

Seems to me Aitken crashed into Mazepin, he pretty much floored it through the outside of the runoff too.

EDIT, Mazepin was deemed fully at fault for taking the incorrect route through the runoff and for forcing Aitkin off in the first place and will have a 15 place grid drop for Abu Dhabi.
yannicksamlad
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by yannicksamlad »

T2 rejoining the track is a known issue- 2015 Markelov clouted the wall as he went through the gap to the left of the bollard , and like Mazepin swept across the track in a damaged car, out of control . Sergio Canamasas commented that the track design seemed to invite problems ( noting a lack of run off on some quick risky bits, and then loads of extra tarmac space in others ) . Sirotkin suggested making T2 slower and tighter , with a different layout, which might stop the run off being an effective shortcut.

Hulkenberg got a warning flag for not obeying the re-joining protocol , keeping his foot down and edging out Giovinazzi ( although it might have been more for the last part); no-one slows down more than they have to ..even if they leave the track. And so Mazepin tries to squeeze through, Aitken keeps his foot down, Markelov tagged the wall ( 2015) , and the innocents taking turn 3 properly are wiped out. They have no chance . I dont think a spotter would help in time except to say 'Brace!' .
Its a track design/driver behaviour issue , which leaves the question; change driver behaviour (penalties for not slowing properly ) , or change track design ( or both?)
LadyMarussia295

Post by LadyMarussia295 »

East Londoner wrote:Raghunathan has scored a point in F2! We truly are living in the End Times. :shock:

I think that Raghunathan scoring points was one of the most wtf moments of recent years F2 history. Also, I felt a little sad for Calderon. They're both bad, but at least she's doesn't look as slow as Raghunathan is. I think she would have deserved better to be second-last, rather than him...

On a less serious side, am I the only one who, when watching F2, is thinking back at the "What is Deletraz doing?" scene hoping that Louis Deletraz someday does a remake of his father performance, while Giuliano Alesi and Mick Schumacher are just behind him? :D
Life runs fast, unless you're driving it.
Butterfox
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Butterfox »

LadyMarussia295 wrote:"What is Deletraz doing?" s

To answer that question, lately Louis has been doing commentary on RTBF on occasions. He's not bad, but Pierre Gasly was a better commentator.
CaptainGetz12
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by CaptainGetz12 »

This wrote:
LadyMarussia295 wrote:"What is Deletraz doing?" s

To answer that question, lately Louis has been doing commentary on RTBF on occasions. He's not bad, but Pierre Gasly was a better commentator.

At least its not MarusswithLove :D
Klon wrote:What did poor André do to you for him to be insulted like that?
yannicksamlad
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by yannicksamlad »

LadyMarussia295 wrote:
East Londoner wrote:Raghunathan has scored a point in F2! We truly are living in the End Times. :shock:

I think that Raghunathan scoring points was one of the most wtf moments of recent years F2 history. Also, I felt a little sad for Calderon. They're both bad, but at least she's doesn't look as slow as Raghunathan is. I think she would have deserved better to be second-last, rather than him...

I agree Tatiana doesnt deserve to be 'behind' Mahaveer. Although he has improved on speed, she is a fair chunk quicker, particularly in races. Tatiana spun away her Monza chance for a point , and the car conked out in Baku when a good result was possible and points were quite likely for her.
I thought she'd do better this year. Arden aren't that quick ( although Anthoine showed he could qualify in top 10, and from there made it work, particularly with a reverse grid ), but quallie leaves her some way short of getting into the positions needed for a reverse grid race points result.

Artem Markelov only scored points once in his first GP2 year , so improvement is quite possible ...
AdrianBelmonte_

Post by AdrianBelmonte_ »

#FoxesFansHooligans

#HaasShouldBeSoLucky
Klon
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Klon »

Hmmm, that has the potential to become a shitshow that'll either end with the first woman and first Japanese driver to win F1 races or a very interesting AV whilst Twitter rolls over itself in sexism and racism. I'll keep an eye on that train wreck. :D
mario

Post by mario »

AdrianBelmonte_ wrote:Juju-san is going places, lads!

https://twitter.com/F1FeederSeries1/sta ... 30337?s=19

Is there any particular reason why she is entering the Danish Formula 4 series?

I thought that the Italian and ADAC Formula 4 series were two of the more prominent Formula 4 series in Europe - is it to do with her age (they mentioned an issue with age restrictions with regards to the French Formula 4 series)? Or is it because her team is also moving there as well, so they want to gain experience in a smaller series before moving to one of the more prominent championships? Either way, it's a bold move to be making right now.
Martin Brundle, on watching a replay of Grosjean spinning:
"The problem with Grosjean is that he want to take a look back at the corner he's just exited"
Butterfox
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Butterfox »

Richard Verschoor finally showing a glimpse of what people thought he would be capable of by winning the the Macau GP.
yannicksamlad
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by yannicksamlad »

A flurry of F2 driver announcements - the Ferrari Driver Academy will have 5 drivers in F2 - Alesi , Schwartzman, Arstrong, Schumacher and Ilott.

Ferrari are doing a Red Bull replacement service in assisting and funding drivers..which is nice . But some pressure for those 5...
Samster

Post by Samster »

Surprised no one has commented on Dick Tantrum getting a DAMS drive yet.
Butterfox
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Butterfox »

Samster wrote:Surprised no one has commented on Dick Tantrum getting a DAMS drive yet.

It seems everyone has given up on him and we even seem to think his teammate, the notorious sean gelael, is worth more of our time .Up to him to prove us wrong i guess.
Alextrax52

Post by Alextrax52 »

Samster wrote:Surprised no one has commented on Dick Tantrum getting a DAMS drive yet.

That DAMS line up is just lamentable. A guy who’s been dumped by Red Bull for being a menace on the track and sulking when he doesn’t get his way and a guy who’s had 2 podiums in 4 seasons at this level but somehow gets a top seat. I swear Gelael is becoming Andy Neate 2.0 going like this. If DAMS muster 5th next year I’ll be very surprised
yannicksamlad
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by yannicksamlad »

Love the name ...
I dont know who is bankrolling him now....not sure I'd see the attraction . But a DAMS seat is desirable .

On a tangent - is a Prema seat still considered highly desirable - they didnt do that well this year .

I suppose the new tyre size will be a big re-set , and the teams with the expertise and resource to understand them first will win big . Hopefully an end to the Pirelli lottery races F2 has to put up with ...
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

Seems like he is now also a William's development driver, which will include time on the simulator. He can't get into too much trouble on the simulator, right? RIght?

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=xi8h2ioOsWs
MCard LOLA
mario

Post by mario »

dr-baker wrote:Seems like he is now also a William's development driver, which will include time on the simulator. He can't get into too much trouble on the simulator, right? RIght?

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=xi8h2ioOsWs

It's also been confirmed that Ticktum will attend at least two races in 2020 alongside his duties as a simulator driver, although it's not 100% clear what exactly he will be doing whilst at the track. https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/tick ... e/4614118/

It does feel as if Williams are really trying to erode decades worth of goodwill right now...
Martin Brundle, on watching a replay of Grosjean spinning:
"The problem with Grosjean is that he want to take a look back at the corner he's just exited"