Request for scans of Autosport magazine (1983-1994)

The place for anything and everything else to do with F1 history, different forms of motorsport, and all other randomness
neilwhite_design

Request for scans of Autosport magazine (1983-1994)

Post by neilwhite_design »

Hello

I am writing a book on Team Lotus covering the years after Colin Chapman's death (1983-1994) and was wondering if anyone had scans of issues of Autosport magazine from that period.

Thanks

Neil White
Londoner

Re: Request for scans of Autosport magazine (1983-1994)

Post by Londoner »

I believe dr-baker has a number of Autosport magazines from the early 90s, it might be worth dropping him a forum PM. :)
Fetzie on Ferrari wrote:How does a driver hurtling around a race track while they're sous-viding in their overalls have a better understanding of the race than a team of strategy engineers in an air-conditioned room?l
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

East Londoner wrote:I believe dr-baker has a number of Autosport magazines from the early 90s, it might be worth dropping him a forum PM. :)

I do have some Autosports (and F1 News magazines) from 1993 and 1994, but I have currently loaned them to ibsey, who is currently working on a book about the 1994 season...

His inspiration: https://www.gprejects.com/forum/viewtop ... f=2&t=4612
watka wrote:I find it amusing that whilst you're one of the more openly Christian guys here, you are still first and foremost associated with an eye for the ladies!
dinizintheoven wrote:GOOD CHRISTIANS do not go to jail. EVERYONE ON FORMULA ONE REJECTS should be in jail.
MCard LOLA
neilwhite_design

Post by neilwhite_design »

Thanks for your replies East Londoner and dr-baker.

I'm hoping that Autosport will create an online archive like Motorsport magazine, though I don't know how practical/likely this is.

I'm aware of Ibsey's book, he's sent me first drafts of a number of chapters and from what I've read, it's very impressive.
tommykl

Post by tommykl »

neilwhite_design wrote:Thanks for your replies East Londoner and dr-baker.

I'm hoping that Autosport will create an online archive like Motorsport magazine, though I don't know how practical/likely this is.

I'm aware of Ibsey's book, he's sent me first drafts of a number of chapters and from what I've read, it's very impressive.

This would be extremely awesome, but also difficult, as Autosport is a weekly publication while Motor Sport is monthly. I'm also not anticipating this happening anytime soon, considering how serious Autosport is about its paywall.
kevinbotz wrote:Cantonese is a completely nonsensical f*cking alien language masquerading as some grossly bastardised form of Chinese

Gonzo wrote:Wasn't there some sort of communisim in the East part of Germany?
Bobby Doorknobs

Post by Bobby Doorknobs »

Neil,

Have you tried asking on any other forums? Some of the folks over on Autosport's Nostalgia Forum might be able to help you with some of the material you need.
#FreeGonzo
Ataxia
Not Important

Post by Ataxia »

If you'd asked at the start of last month, I'd have been able to fish stuff out of the Autosport archives. Unfortunately, I don't know if I'll be able to go again any time soon...

They're in the process of digitising the entirety of the LAT archives which are in the same building, so there might be the slim possibility of the magazines becoming scanned through - I don't know. The online magazine subscription only goes as far back as 2010.
Mitch Hedberg wrote:I want to be a race car passenger: just a guy who bugs the driver. Say man, can I turn on the radio? You should slow down. Why do we gotta keep going in circles? Man, you really like Tide...
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

neilwhite_design wrote:

He has sent me a few drafts too, but I have yet to read through them. I am glad someone else is giving feedback more promptly!
watka wrote:I find it amusing that whilst you're one of the more openly Christian guys here, you are still first and foremost associated with an eye for the ladies!
dinizintheoven wrote:GOOD CHRISTIANS do not go to jail. EVERYONE ON FORMULA ONE REJECTS should be in jail.
MCard LOLA
ibsey

Post by ibsey »

dr-baker wrote:
neilwhite_design wrote:

He has sent me a few drafts too, but I have yet to read through them. I am glad someone else is giving feedback more promptly!

Just came across this thread, and there is no rush dr baker on you giving me feedback. Only when you are ready. :)

Thanks Neil for your very kind comments above and really glad you have been enjoying what I have written so far. As discussed via our email conversations when I am able to I will send you scanned magazine articles to help with your book as well.
Coming January 2019 a new F1 book revisiting 1994.

Pre order it here; www.performancepublishing.co.uk/1994-th ... eason.html

The book's website; www.1994f1.com/
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

ibsey wrote:
Thanks Neil for your very kind comments above and really glad you have been enjoying what I have written so far. As discussed via our email conversations when I am able to I will send you scanned magazine articles to help with your book as well.

Ah, you have organised this between yourselves. Brilliant!
MCard LOLA
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

Ibsey asked me in an email to pass his regards onto this forum. He has been involved in this book on the decline and fall of the Lotus empire with Neil White, and info about the new book can be found at the following links:

http://www.1994f1.com/lotusprintbook/

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B083SHN448/ ... ext&sr=1-1

Already available as an ebook for Kindle and as an audio book, the self-published paper version (initial run of 100 copies) will be available later this year. Ibs's first book is available for £25 here: https://www.performancepublishing.co.uk ... eason.html
MCard LOLA
ibsey

Post by ibsey »

In case you are in need of something to cheer yourself up during these dark times. Pleased to announce, we have the following contributors helping with our Team Lotus book;

Frank Dernie – Lotus’ Technical Director Between 1989/90.
Peter Wright – The man behind Lotus’ active suspension during the 1980s.
Willem Toet – Designer of race-winning Benetton and Ferrari F1 cars & F1 aerodynamics expert.
Antony Burton – Lotus Head of Archives, and someone who worked on their active suspension in the 1980s.

There will only be 100 copies available initially, and the book's release date is 1/5/2020...so it is very likely we may sell out & quickly. To find out more about our Lotus book click here: http://www.1994f1.com/lotusprintbook/

If you want to Pre-order the Lotus book please send me a message here; http://www.1994f1.com/contact/

It will be every bit as good as the 1994 book was (see the reviews for yourself); http://www.1994f1.com/sample-page/
Coming January 2019 a new F1 book revisiting 1994.

Pre order it here; www.performancepublishing.co.uk/1994-th ... eason.html

The book's website; www.1994f1.com/