F1 Rewind on F1 YouTube channel

The place for speaking your mind on current goings-on in F1
dr-baker

F1 Rewind on F1 YouTube channel

Post by dr-baker »

I watched the 1996 Monaco GP on the official F1 YouTube channel earlier and these were my thoughts:

1. I loved, loved, LOVED the F1 intro at the start of the world feed, 5 minutes before the race start. So much passion and energy. Wish I could figure out how to have it as my ringtone...

2. Did the 1996 Tyrrell really have so few sponsor decals?

3. Murray Walker's pronunciation of Andrea Montermini's surname. Sounded right the first time before he corrected himself. Mon-ter-mini v. Mont-erm-ini.

4. It really did look like it was Badoer's fault for turning in on Villeneuve. :-(

5. Still sad and frustrated for Damon Hill that day.

6. Still missed seeing Frentzen pull into the pits at the end. There weren't that many cars to focus on at that point in the race, was there.

7. I miss the days where you could get shock races like that. You had a few around that time, like when Ligier got a double podium in Germany 1994, and when Panis got a podium with an exploding engine in Australia in 1995, where Minardi, Pacific and Forti also all got top-8 finishing positions.
watka wrote:I find it amusing that whilst you're one of the more openly Christian guys here, you are still first and foremost associated with an eye for the ladies!
dinizintheoven wrote:GOOD CHRISTIANS do not go to jail. EVERYONE ON FORMULA ONE REJECTS should be in jail.
MCard LOLA
WeirdKerr
Location: on the edge of nowhere with a ludicrous grid penalty.....

Re: F1 Rewind on F1 YouTube channel

Post by WeirdKerr »

Loved this race and the Colasally that's Mansell!!!! 1986 Australian GP they also showed earlier in the week.... I hope once this is all over we get occasional full races on F1's youtube channel especially during the off season :D
RAK

Post by RAK »

Yeah, it was an awesome surprise to see Formula One join the collection of sporting organisations keeping people entertained with notable moments from the past. I only started seriously watching Formula One in 2009, so it was a good opportunity to easily see a race I hadn't seen in full before. Still need to watch the 1986 Australian GP video as well.
Predicament Predictions Champion, 2011, 2018, 2019

They weren't the world's most competent team,
In fact, to be believed, their results must be seen,
Lola,
M-Mastercard Lola,
L, O, L, A, Lola!
Nuppiz
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Nuppiz »

dr-baker wrote:1. I loved, loved, LOVED the F1 intro at the start of the world feed, 5 minutes before the race start. So much passion and energy. Wish I could figure out how to have it as my ringtone...

Assuming your phone supports MP3, you can download it here.
Eurosport broadcast for the 1990 Mexican GP prequalifying:
"The Life, it looked very lifeless yet again... in fact Bruno did one, slow lap"
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

Nuppiz wrote:
dr-baker wrote:1. I loved, loved, LOVED the F1 intro at the start of the world feed, 5 minutes before the race start. So much passion and energy. Wish I could figure out how to have it as my ringtone...

Assuming your phone supports MP3, you can download it here.

Thank you Nuppiz! I now have it downloaded on my phone. You have made me happy.

Now onto my thoughts on the replay of the 1997 European Grand Prix that has just been shown on F1's YouTube channel:

1. I forgot that Damon Hill had qualified so well, the best driver not to set a time of 1:21.072. Shame that he didn't have a repeat of that year's Hungarian GP.

2. The TV images didn't seem as clear or crisp as for the last 'replay' from the 1996 Monaco GP. Presumably because the cameras were further away?

3. The quality of the audio of the anthems over the tannoy seemed lame, particulary the British anthem.

4. I didn't remember that the two McLarens were only let through in the final few corners of the race. I might have thought that Villeneuve might have done it a lap or two earlier. Maybe because, as Murray said, the top-six were tightly bunched, so maybe it was to avoid letting too many through and botching it.

5. The silences (where I assume the ITV ad breaks were) were very clear and obvious.

6. I remain a Williams fan to this day, and that won't ever change. And the fact that Schumacher turned in on a Williams driver on a right-hand bend to affect the championship twice three years apart is still suspicious, suggesting Schumacher gets hot-headed when under pressure. BUT, and I reckon this is a big but, on the corner where this happened, there was a lot of dirt on the apex where Villeneuve turned in, and as Schumacher turned into Villeneuve's sidepod, Villeneuve had dirt on his right-front tyre, and may possibly have had some on his right-rear tyre too. I don't know whether this affected the line that Villeneuve was able to take, and whether it might have induced a little bit of understeer. I don't know whether this has been discussed much before, but it's new news to me. It's too late to change anything officially, but it's interesting anyway.

7. Wonder if Damon Hill had any preference for who won the championship that year - Schumacher, the guy who was his rival for several years, or Villeneuve, who drove for the team that sacked him the year before? Would have been interesting if he had indeed got a good start and Damon was leading Schumacher and Villeneuve during the race.
watka wrote:I find it amusing that whilst you're one of the more openly Christian guys here, you are still first and foremost associated with an eye for the ladies!
dinizintheoven wrote:GOOD CHRISTIANS do not go to jail. EVERYONE ON FORMULA ONE REJECTS should be in jail.
MCard LOLA
Enforcer
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Enforcer »

dr-baker wrote:1. I forgot that Damon Hill had qualified so well, the best driver not to set a time of 1:21.072. Shame that he didn't have a repeat of that year's Hungarian GP.

7. Wonder if Damon Hill had any preference for who won the championship that year - Schumacher, the guy who was his rival for several years, or Villeneuve, who drove for the team that sacked him the year before? Would have been interesting if he had indeed got a good start and Damon was leading Schumacher and Villeneuve during the race.

Re. 1: Hill actually would've qualified on pole except he had to back off in the final sector because another car (I think it was the Kat) went off the circuit. I haven't seen an explanation for that uncharacteristic turn of speed, so I can only assume that like Hungary, it was Bridgestone tire hax.

Re. 7: If he did have a preference it was likely for Villeneuve. iirc Schumacher and Hill had a few verbal exchanges about each other's driving as late as 1998, so there was still a bit of bitterness between the two.
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

Today was last September's Italian Grand Prix. I had fewer thoughts on this.

1. This might be a classic for the Tifosi and Leclerc, but I was more interested in the Singapore Grand Prix if Leclerc would equal Damon Hill's feat of following on from his debut win with two more wins in subsequent consecutive races. The Brazilian Grand Prix last year was more of a classic. I suppose I associate classics with races containing action and/or surprise results.

Other GPs that I consider classics and would enjoy seeing again would include the 1994 German and Australian Grands Prix, the 1995 Australian Grand Prix, the 1996 Monaco Grand Prix (as discussed in a post above), the 1997 Hungarian Grand Prix, the 1998 Belgian Grand Prix, 1999 European Grand Prix, the 2006 Hungarian Grand Prix, and the 2011 Canadian Grand Prix. The 1994 San Marino Grand Prix would fit the definition, but for all the wrong reasons. It must be very mixed feelings for Nicola Larini, to have got his best race result, in a Ferrari on Italian soil, on such a dreadful, awful weekend.

2. That's it.
MCard LOLA
WeirdKerr

Post by WeirdKerr »

I would love to see some early 80s races in full....
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

WeirdKerr wrote:I would love to see some early 80s races in full....

I wasn't really around then to remember them. There would be some interesting races around then for sure. 1982 San Marino Grand Prix might be interesting for the final few laps alone, knowing the background and fall out from it.
MCard LOLA
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

Last Wednesday's F1 Rewind was the 1996 Spanish GP. It was Schumacher's first win for Ferrari in the absolutely ugly F310, now on display in the National Motor Museum in Beaulieu, Hampshire, England. He won by 45 seconds in an absolute downpour. That's it. That's all that there is to say about the race. It wasn't particularly eventful, just significant for the history of the Schumacher/Ferrari combination and his sheer domination.

Today's F1 Rewind is the 2018 Chinese Grand Prix. I am not bothering with it. Why on God's good Earth is it considered a classic? OK, so Mercedes didn't win, but that's it. There aren't really any other reasons why this race might be considered a classic. I would be happy if someone could try to convince me otherwise, but they will have a difficult time to prove otherwise.

Would love it if one of the upcoming races would include the 1976 Japanese Grand Prix. Or 1976 British Grand Prix. Perhaps not the 1976 German Grand Prix, although I know Niki Lauda survived for many years afterwards.
MCard LOLA
CaptainGetz12
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by CaptainGetz12 »

I mean, how early can you go back for F1 races with flag-to-flag TV broadcasts?
Klon wrote:What did poor André do to you for him to be insulted like that?
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

CaptainGetz12 wrote:I mean, how early can you go back for F1 races with flag-to-flag TV broadcasts?

Are there any earlier than 1976 Japanese GP?
MCard LOLA
Klon
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Klon »

dr-baker wrote:Today's F1 Rewind is the 2018 Chinese Grand Prix. I am not bothering with it. Why on God's good Earth is it considered a classic? OK, so Mercedes didn't win, but that's it. There aren't really any other reasons why this race might be considered a classic. I would be happy if someone could try to convince me otherwise, but they will have a difficult time to prove otherwise.

Well, I won't be the one to do it, because I just sat here for like a minute trying to think of anything noteworthy from that race outside of Verstappen smashing into Vettel and couldn't come up with anything. Though in fairness, I don't think a race rerun needs to be a classic if it has a major feat of dominance - one such example would be the 1995 Spanish GP, where MSC just straight-up pimpslapped the entire grid.
James1978

Post by James1978 »

My favourite of these so far was Europe '97 - three things from that race always fascinate me:

1. Would Villeneuve have been awarded the championship if his car had been too damaged to continue after the accident? That would have been a brave thing for them officials to have done! (After Schumacher's championship position was removed, I was hoping they'd retrospectively award Hill the '94 championship in the same circumstances)!

2. I always had a real bad feeling Ferrari would use Irvine to take Villeneuve out in the later stages - if he couldn't catch Villeneuve himself (which didn't happen as the McLarens were essentially shielding Villeneuve) then I didn't think it beyond the realms of possibility that Irvine would just slow down, wait for Villeneuve to come and lap him and deliberately take him out!

3. Sauber should have been taken to the cleaners over the blatant use of Fontana blocking Villeneuve!
"Poor old Warwick takes it from behind all throughout this season". :) (Tony Jardine, 1988)
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

James1978 wrote:1. Would Villeneuve have been awarded the championship if his car had been too damaged to continue after the accident? That would have been a brave thing for them officials to have done! (After Schumacher's championship position was removed, I was hoping they'd retrospectively award Hill the '94 championship in the same circumstances)!

Ohh, that WOULD be intriguing! I don't think they could retrospectively award Hill the 1994 title, however. I think there is/was a regulation that says that beyond a certain date, all results are fixed and are no longer able to be changed. And I am not sure that Hill would like to have won the title that way. I certainly wouldn't. But I do always wonder if they had annulled the results of San Marino 1994 - that would have provided the same result.

James1978 wrote:2. I always had a real bad feeling Ferrari would use Irvine to take Villeneuve out in the later stages - if he couldn't catch Villeneuve himself (which didn't happen as the McLarens were essentially shielding Villeneuve) then I didn't think it beyond the realms of possibility that Irvine would just slow down, wait for Villeneuve to come and lap him and deliberately take him out!

Phantom pit stop perhaps? Taking just long enough to put Irvine just ahead of Villeneuve on track...

James1978 wrote:3. Sauber should have been taken to the cleaners over the blatant use of Fontana blocking Villeneuve!

I remember that being touted as a conspiracy theory at the time in the motor sport press! (I think I only read F1 News at the time, I can't remember exactly when I started reading Autosport instead. Maybe after F1 News went out of circulation?)
MCard LOLA
Nuppiz
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Nuppiz »

dr-baker wrote:
CaptainGetz12 wrote:I mean, how early can you go back for F1 races with flag-to-flag TV broadcasts?

Are there any earlier than 1976 Japanese GP?

Pre-1978 the coverage was patchy at best, being entirely at the mercy of local TV stations instead of the governing body, but there were some full race broadcasts even before the 1976 Japanese GP (which does hold the honour of being the first international live broadcast via satellite).

The earliest nearly-100% complete race recording that I know of is the 1968 British GP (which is missing a few minutes, presumably due to a film reel change).
"The Life, it looked very lifeless yet again... in fact Bruno did one, slow lap"
dinizintheoven

Post by dinizintheoven »

The thought occurs...

We all know Murray Walker started motorsport commentary as far back as 1948. And yet, every time I see film footage from Grands Prix in the 1950s and 1960s with his commentary on it, getting excited about Fangio, Stirling Moss, Jack Brabham, Jim Clark or any of the other drivers of the day, I can't bring myself to believe that this isn't his voice dubbed over the film about 20-30 years later, rather than a recording made at the time that was presumably for newsreels or TV broadcasts. On the other hand, if it's from videotape from the 1970s onwards, I can believe it was all contemporary.

Is it just me or does anyone else get the same impression?
James Allen, on his favourite F1 engine of all time:
"...the Life W12, I can't describe the noise to you, but imagine filling your dustbin with nuts and bolts, and then throwing it down the stairs, it was something akin to that!"
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

dinizintheoven wrote:The thought occurs...

We all know Murray Walker started motorsport commentary as far back as 1948. And yet, every time I see film footage from Grands Prix in the 1950s and 1960s with his commentary on it, getting excited about Fangio, Stirling Moss, Jack Brabham, Jim Clark or any of the other drivers of the day, I can't bring myself to believe that this isn't his voice dubbed over the film about 20-30 years later, rather than a recording made at the time that was presumably for newsreels or TV broadcasts. On the other hand, if it's from videotape from the 1970s onwards, I can believe it was all contemporary.

Is it just me or does anyone else get the same impression?

I believe that Raymond Baxter was known as a motor racing commentator before Murray Walker came on the scene. It was Baxter who got parodied on Peter Ustinov's Grand Prix of Gibraltar. But I do think that Murray made his commentary debut alongside his father, Graham Walker, in 1948 at either Silverstone or the Manx TT. Might have to dig his biography out from my bedroom at my dad's place after this crisis.
MCard LOLA
Fetzie

Post by Fetzie »

Wikipedia says it was at the Shelsley Walsh hill climb in 1948.
Bleu

Post by Bleu »

The official F1 broadcasts go back to 1981 I think. Before that it's up to different TV channels.
Barbazza

Post by Barbazza »

Raymond Baxter was certainly the BBC's regular F1 commentator until the late 70s - it should be his voice you hear on commentaries (admittedly mainly the British GP at the time) but I have heard Murray on some pieces of old footage that he wouldn't have done live at the time. It has to be said that although it's usually quite obvious (to me at least) when he's doing it retrospectively, he's still miles more convincing than those asked to do the same thing on the Netflix F1 documentary - Ben Edwards & Jack Nicholls, the Sky commentary is taken from the live broadcast usually.

Most other motor racing on Grandstand in the 70s / 80s - F2, F3, FF, Rallycross, Rallysprint (remember that?) were mostly not done live, but I remember Murray saying that he didn't prepare anything based on the footage, he commentated 'as live' when watching it for the first time. Inevitably, he must have known some of the results and incidents though.
James1978

Post by James1978 »

I always wonder if the 1979 French GP exists in full - I've seen THAT duel loads but have no idea about the events leading up to it!

I know I mentioned the 1997 climax earlier but also really enjoyed the two 1996 races we've seen. Looking back, I feel 1996 - 99 was really a good era (Schumacher fighting to catch up in a poor Ferrari rather than them taking the piss in the first half of the 00s)!
"Poor old Warwick takes it from behind all throughout this season". :) (Tony Jardine, 1988)
Nuppiz
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Nuppiz »

James1978 wrote:I always wonder if the 1979 French GP exists in full - I've seen THAT duel loads but have no idea about the events leading up to it!

It does, although the only publicly available copy is a rather low-quality recording (from a very early home VCR) of the ORF broadcast.
WeirdKerr

Post by WeirdKerr »

I think I saw the 1985 Portugese race in full on Sky when they were showing classic F1 races on the Sky sports F1 channel... there may be some earlier races available to show too...

Personally I have a few full races from the 1990s on VHS tapes in boxes including but not limited to the 1989 British and 1995 Belgian Grand Prix as I was at both of those races....
MyHamsterRacedAnOnyx

Post by MyHamsterRacedAnOnyx »

I'm sure a quick scan of YouTube should bring up some.
I've been indulging in https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s_UsRK_czjY the 1984 Canadian Grand Prix.

Interesting things to note:
Jackie Stewart commentating for CBC
The interesting pronunciation of driver and team names- 'Proast','Re-no','Pi-kay'.
Despite being World Champion in 1983, Piquet after 6 rounds hadn't actually finished a race,let alone scored any points because of retirements.
The foot. It gets its moment in the sun at the podium
The cool things the 2nd and 3rd place finishers get-bet no other race offered something so original!!

And yes I'm back. Due to the fact that a) I couldn't remember my login name or which email I'd used and b) F1 had just got rather tedious with Mercedes winning everything on circuits in obscure places with huge run off areas... Bleh
Some people are looking for the meaning of life.Me,I'll be satisfied with a cute girl who can tell her Andrea Moda from her AGS...
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

Just watched the 2012 Brazilian Grand Prix. I didn't remember the race in great detail beforehand, but it was entertaining nonetheless. I was sure for much of the race that this would be the race where Kamui Kobayashi would get his podium (he was in 6th before Hulkenberg and Hamilton collided...). I was disappointed when I realised that this was the Brazilian race and not Japan of that year. Lap 11 was epic, as it saw Jean-Eric Vergne for Toro Rosso in 5th, Heikki Kovalainen for Caterham in 6th, Vitaly Petrov also for Caterham in 7th, Timo Glock in 8th for Marussia, Pedro de la Rosa in 9th for HRT and Charles Pic in 10th in his Marussia, while Narain Karthikeyan was 11th in his HRT. This was mainly due to the climatic conditions forcing many into the pits for tyre changes, allowing these backmarkers temporarily into higher positions.

Not watched the rerun of the 1994 Japanese GP yet, due to my volunteering commitments at my local hospital.
MCard LOLA
sswishbone

Post by sswishbone »

Wouldn't normally post a Top 10 here, but number one is right up our street

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tSgCpfGknbo
"Hispania are a waste of talent and petrol!" Martin Brundle, Australia Qualifying 2011

Live streams and podcasts from yours truly at http://www.youtube.com/user/sswishbone
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

Caught up on the 1994 Japanese race on F1's YouTube channel. My thoughts:

1. I worked out at the time that Sky Sports F1 channel in the UK was showing the 1999 European Grand Prix at exactly the same time that this was premiering on YouTube. That's fighting over exactly the same audience.

2. When this race happened in 1994, I was twelve years old. I don't think I knew at that point what type of product Penthouse was, as featured on the rear wing of the Minardis.

3. Commentators who get it wrong - Johnathan Palmer said, on lap 13, just before the red flag, that Damon Hill had no chance except for a mechanical failure or similar from Michael Schumacher. Nope, it was just good old-fashioned pit strategy. Although, on lap 37, when Schumacher retook the lead, it wasn't clear that he was going to pit again.

3. It is incredible that Brundle was complaining during the drivers' briefing about the recovery vehicles being out with cars racing past and then nearly hitting one. And this was still happening twenty years later when Biachi went off in almost the same place as they were recovering Sutil's car.

4. Fascinating that prior to the safety car restart after the red flag, they did a parade lap and then reformed on the grid to start behind the safety car for the restart. Of course nowadays, they wouldn't've bothered with the parade lap, and would have just got on with the safety car laps.

5. I love the fact that the safety car used its indicator to signal that it was entering the pit lane, when it was already known that that is what it was going to do!

6. Hill emerged from a pit stop behind Alesi and Mansell on track, but ahead on aggregate. If that were to have happened now, would that call for blue flags or now? Purely an academic question of course as we don't have aggregate races any more...

7. That on-track battle between Alesi and Mansell must have been the most intense non-battle that will ever be.
MCard LOLA
Barbazza

Post by Barbazza »

Even more mystifying that Sky were bothering with the European GP 99 at all given that it's now on the F1TV Youtube channel too!

I still have that and the Japanese GP 94 to rewatch, having tackled the 2 96 races (Monaco is always fun, though not much happens in the Spanish one tbh) and the 'You hit the wrong part, my friend!' GP from 97 - something I'd never noticed before was Jacques not only letting the McLarens through but seemingly trying but (just) failing to let Berger onto the podium for his last race.
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

My thoughts on rewatching the 1999 European Grand Prix on the F1 YouTube channel:

1. The good old classic F1 intro still in use in 1999.

2. I can only remember what happens to Badoer, Herbert and Barrichello (and the rain) in this race, so this should be enjoyable.

3. Frentzen comes into this race 10 points behind Irvine and Hakkinen (who therefore are obviously equal on points). And with Frentzen on pole, it makes you wonder what could have been in the rest of the season if this race had worked out differently.

4. I forgot about the aborted start and then Diniz's crash after Wurz went to avoid hitting Hill. Glad that, to my knowledge, that is the last time the roll-over hoop has failed where a car has rolled over.

5. Just after the incident between Zanardi, Zonta and Takagi on lap 11, Brundle says, "And now there's a truck on the track. Marvellous." Said with a great deal of sarcasm, no doubt having his own crash at the 1994 Japanese Grand Prix in mind.

6. Lap 27 - Frentzen in the lead, with neither Irvine nor Hakkinen in the points at that point (12th and 14th). That would have set the championship up nicely for the final few races... What could have been. It was here that I felt in 1999 Frentzen starting dropping out of championship contention

7. While Johnny Herbert was 4th (lap 39), just after DC retired, Murray Walker said something along the lines of, "Wouldn't it be wonderful if Stewart were to win a race before it becomes Jaguar next year!" A commentator's curse that wasn't!

8. Murray joked about having a sprinkler system to spice up races! (He made it clear that he was joking...)

9. Ferrari constantly getting tyres wrong at the pit stops, namely with Eddie Irvine!!!

10. Lap 55, Murray Walker, just before Badoer's heartbreaking DNF: "In is not inconceivable that we could see a Stewart 1-2." Not quite, Murray, not quite.

11. Villeneuve, just after Badoer's DNF, was 5th, which would have been BAR's only points of the year... And that is the position from which he DNFed.

12. Does Irvine locking up his brakes at the chicane with 4 laps to go, letting Hakkinen past, swing the points total just enough to affect the whole championship (which then also allows Hakkinen to pass the Minardi of Gene)? (It stops Schumacher from letting Irvine through in the last race.)

13. I forget that it's Trulli in the Prost that finished 2nd in this race. The podium filled with cars from the four-time drivers champion Prost and three-time drivers champion Stewart.

14. GENE SCORES FOR MINARDI!!!!!!!!! (Albeit one point.)

15. They now have Bizet's Carmen playing during the champagne spraying, although not the now familiar arrangement that is currently used.
MCard LOLA
Enforcer
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Enforcer »

As much as I'd have loved and would still retroactively love it now, Frentzen was so off the pace at the following race in Malaysia (Hill, who'd well and truly packed it in by then, outqualified him) that it's hard to put it all down to his head space after missing out on the win at the Nurburgring. Between that and Ferrari being back on it, I don't think he could've possibly done better than 4th in Malaysia if he'd won the European GP, and with his 4th at Japan, it's not enough.

Now, what a Frentzen win would've done is drop Hakkinen down to 6th. So Irvine, assuming he's gifted the win at Malaysia as per real life, leads him by 5 points instead of 4 going into Japan. Then it's a simple matter of Schumacher taking an extra pitstop or encountering a 'mechanical gremlin' to hand Irvine 2nd place and the driver's title. Had Ferrari decide they wanted to do that, obviously.
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

Enforcer wrote:As much as I'd have loved and would still retroactively love it now, Frentzen was so off the pace at the following race in Malaysia (Hill, who'd well and truly packed it in by then, outqualified him) that it's hard to put it all down to his head space after missing out on the win at the Nurburgring. Between that and Ferrari being back on it, I don't think he could've possibly done better than 4th in Malaysia if he'd won the European GP, and with his 4th at Japan, it's not enough.

In my mind, I was thinking of title contention, as in being there or thereabouts. We all know he was the underdog contender that year. And that's why we love the idea, an underdog success story, even if Frentzen had taken Damon's seat at Williams in 1997...

Enforcer wrote:Now, what a Frentzen win would've done is drop Hakkinen down to 6th. So Irvine, assuming he's gifted the win at Malaysia as per real life, leads him by 5 points instead of 4 going into Japan. Then it's a simple matter of Schumacher taking an extra pitstop or encountering a 'mechanical gremlin' to hand Irvine 2nd place and the driver's title. Had Ferrari decide they wanted to do that, obviously.

It would have been a headline story, even if it wasn't with the intended driver. Knowing now what the following five years were to bring, I think Ferrari could have lived with that? And again, given that Schumi was the number 1 driver at Ferrari, it would have been another underdog winner. And with either Hakkinen or Irvine winning the title, neither were going to have the number 1 on the nose of the Ferrari the following year.
MCard LOLA
ibsey

Post by ibsey »

Enforcer wrote:I don't think he could've possibly done better than 4th in Malaysia if he'd won the European GP
:

I agree. Johnny Herbert says he was on fire at Malaysia 1999 & that was his best race in F1. https://www.motorsportmagazine.com/arch ... ny-herbert So it would have been difficult for HHF to have beaten him also.
Coming January 2019 a new F1 book revisiting 1994.

Pre order it here; www.performancepublishing.co.uk/1994-th ... eason.html

The book's website; www.1994f1.com/
WeirdKerr

Post by WeirdKerr »

Monaco '82... wow chaotic at the end but dull for quite a bit of the race
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

WeirdKerr wrote:Monaco '82... wow chaotic at the end but dull for quite a bit of the race

Haven't caught up with that race yet (the running of the race happened when I was a bun in mum's oven before being delivered by the storks, which is presumably the bird in the story of the birds and the bees), but what you said is the impression I got from reading about the race.
MCard LOLA
Bleu

Post by Bleu »

Today (currently ongoing) was USA 2018. Remembered for Kimi ending his winless streak, Vettel spinning again and of course the neeeow guy.
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

I have just caught up with the 1982 Monaco GP myself:

WeirdKerr wrote:Monaco '82... wow chaotic at the end but dull for quite a bit of the race

Maybe, but many of those running in points-paying positions were often running close to each other, and Rosberg was occasionally overtaking but otherwise putting on a performance until his DNF.

- The anthems on the podiums - they played the British anthem first for the winning constructor then only part of the Brazilian anthem for the winning driver. And then they were correcting who should be standing on the podium alongside Patrese.

- The Nouvelle Chicane immediately after the tunnel seemed faster than now. I prefer the current slower chicane because it seems to be more of an invitation to be able to attempt an overtaking manoeuvre.

- As he retired, the onscreen graphics spelled the name of the ATS driver as Manfred Winckelhock, but at other points, his name was spelt without the C.

- I like the fact that for most of the race, those in podium positions had alliterative surnames - Prost, Patrese and Pironi.

- This race made me appreciate having on screen all the race positions for most of the race. It was a shame for those outside of the points not to have their names and race positions up on screen. Or maybe it was good if you were having a bad race and wanted to be anonymous?

- And reflecting back on the 1994 Japanese race, I was realising how long it took for the safety car to pick up the leader on its first appearance. It didn't come out of the pits and wait for the leader. It just went out and assumed that the leader would eventually, at some point, catch up. Which is what I assume led to the confusion at the 1973 Canadian GP. Makes much more sense nowadays for the safety car to wait to pick up the race leader.

And I was going to go back and compile a list of all the full races that F1 had shown in its Rewind series as discussed in this thread (with links), but it appears that the 1986 Australian GP has already disappeared with only the 5 minute highlights still up, leaving the 1996 Monaco GP as the earliest uploaded race still on there. Will all these races disappear off their channel again? I will be disappointed if so.
MCard LOLA
ibsey

Post by ibsey »

dr-baker wrote:And reflecting back on the 1994 Japanese race, I was realising how long it took for the safety car to pick up the leader on its first appearance. It didn't come out of the pits and wait for the leader. It just went out and assumed that the leader would eventually, at some point, catch up. Which is what I assume led to the confusion at the 1973 Canadian GP. Makes much more sense nowadays for the safety car to wait to pick up the race leader.

I rememeber that still occurring at the 1995 Belgian GP, and Hill being lucky to have caught up with Schumacher during the safety car period. Cannot remember when things were change however, possible the late 1990s or early 2000 from a vague recollection.

Regarding Suzuka 1994, was reading Alex Zanardi's book the other day. He was saying how both his wing mirrors fell off his car and part of the diffuser had broken. That was how poor Lotus were at that stage, there car was falling to bits during races. Anyway, Zanardi was terrified of taking out either Hill or Schumacher during that race when being lapped, because he couldn't see any cars behind him (even in the slow speed stuff when there was no spray).
Coming January 2019 a new F1 book revisiting 1994.

Pre order it here; www.performancepublishing.co.uk/1994-th ... eason.html

The book's website; www.1994f1.com/
Bleu

Post by Bleu »

Nowadays safety car goes very slow speed if the leader is not nearby. In that Japanese example Schumacher clearly slowed a lot and probably safety car was going close to its maximum speed anyways.

The exception is when someone is injured (or possibly injured) and the medical car is dispatched. In those cases no driver is allowed to overtake safety car before the accident scene has been passed. The F1 race which was probably most affected due to that is Valencia 2010 where Hamilton overtook SC anyway, got drive through and still ended up second while those who followed the rules (like Alonso) ended way behind.
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

I've not been interested in all of the recent races that have been shown in full on the F1 YouTube channel, but tomorrow's race is one to catch - the 1998 Belgian GP. Start line crash, rain, mixed-race disagreements between drivers, 1-2 and debut win for underdog team.
MCard LOLA