2021: The return of Grand Prix Rejects

The place for discussion of all aspects of the gprejects.com website
Miguel98

2021: The return of Grand Prix Rejects

Post by Miguel98 »

Hello and welcome back to Grand Prix Rejects! :badoer: Sorry for the downtime, but we heard 2020 was a damn crap year for pretty much everyone, and GPR was, sadly, quite affected. For 2021, we are back, and we hope now for good! As you all can see, nothing has changed since July 2020, the last day the website was back up. Now, we have plenty to catch up on, so I would like to share some of the ideas with you for how 2021 is going to play out. :vergne:

Firstly, and foremost, let’s discuss content: as usual in GPR, members are free to present ideas for articles, and create them. I would like to know how we can make the process more agile, since I do believe we have plenty of potential in this regard – see Klon’s monthly column “The Gravel Trap”, which usually springs up quite a good discussion on its topic. :D

Secondly, we need to discuss how to “facilitate” possible new users coming in. GPR has a “small” but dedicated fanbase, and as Reddit and other facilities have showed up, forums have lost a tiny bit of relevance over time, but users still search for them. A good way to help in this front was with the GPR Discord server, which continued to be very active and pulled new members over the last months of downtime. :deletraz:

But I do believe that a good discussion topic would be how to present ourselves to others, while keeping the reject topic still – especially on the forum, it can be quite “hard” for a newbie to understand what is going on. So, I do believe that we would have to that process a little bit more agile as well. A possible idea would be to reformulate the forum a bit more in terms of main topics, and to write a small introduction on GPR that would stay pinned in the announcements, where its sub-forums and concepts, like ROTR and its variants, would be explained. :chilton:

Thirdly, I would like to hear on everyone’s opinion on what was just presented. This includes both moderators – please, answer to this topic if you’re still around – and normal users. Fourthly, and lastly, don’t forget to follow our social media – we plan on being more active there, especially on Twitter, and if you haven’t, join the Discord as well! Everyone is free to come along and it acts as a great counterpart to the websites activities. :shock:

To everyone: we missed you, and we’re sorry for the downtime. Enjoy your stay! :)
Mario on Gutierrez after the Italian Grand Prix wrote:He's no longer just a bit of a tool, he's the entire tool set.

18-07-2015: Forever in our hearts Jules.
25-08-2015: Forever in our hearts Justin.
Frogfoot9013

Re: 2021: The return of Grand Prix Rejects

Post by Frogfoot9013 »

Praise be our benevolent overlords.
James Hunt, commentating on the 1991 German Grand Prix wrote:The Benettons looking very smart together on the track, mostly because they're both going so slowly.
rachel1990

Post by rachel1990 »

Not sure how to reply- Glad the forum is back.

Given how crazy the 2020 season was, with so much going on, I missed this forum a lot.

(I can't seem to find this discord link- if anyone has it I would be grateful)
Benetton of 1992. Never a reject
Dom_Wings

Post by Dom_Wings »

Just click the link in my signature!
Join the GPR Discord server! https://discord.com/invite/6YDQ3aV
girry

Post by girry »

Gib :flavio: or I'm outta here
when you're dead people start listening
Nuppiz
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Nuppiz »

rachel1990 wrote:(I can't seem to find this discord link- if anyone has it I would be grateful)

It's in the top right corner, disguised as a Mibbit link because we haven't updated the forum layout yet. :deletraz:

I played a small, but significant part in the restoration process by giving Miguel the necessary access. And all I originally wanted was one race result from Artemio Matarazzo's F1C career, but here we are a week later. :badoer:
Eurosport broadcast for the 1990 Mexican GP prequalifying:
"The Life, it looked very lifeless yet again... in fact Bruno did one, slow lap"
Miguel98

Post by Miguel98 »

rachel1990 wrote:Not sure how to reply- Glad the forum is back.

Given how crazy the 2020 season was, with so much going on, I missed this forum a lot.

(I can't seem to find this discord link- if anyone has it I would be grateful)

It's here! https://discord.gg/UfDyQagK
Mario on Gutierrez after the Italian Grand Prix wrote:He's no longer just a bit of a tool, he's the entire tool set.

Paul Hayes

Post by Paul Hayes »

Welcome back! Good to have you back with us.
Aislabie

Post by Aislabie »

I'm not crying, you're crying.

Seriously though, I'm a little overwhelmed that it's all back. I'll never get another piece of coursework done ever again - and I'm okay with that.

I've got a reasonable amount of stuff to clog up the PMMF with (AMU and Alt-FE) but for now it's just so therapeutic to be able to browse the wiki again and remind myself of Georges Burggraf's F1 career.
Frentzen127

Post by Frentzen127 »

Well would you look at that, I honestly thought this was gone for good now :?
Back to being the perennial lurker i always was then. :deletraz:
DEPORTIVO CA... pfft hahaha can't say that with a straight face!
Misses Minardi dearly. :(
LadyMarussia295

Post by LadyMarussia295 »

Nice to know the forum and the website are back. <3
Life runs fast, unless you're driving it.
Bobby Doorknobs

Post by Bobby Doorknobs »

:deletraz:
#FreeGonzo
Londoner

Post by Londoner »

What an absolutely beautiful couple of hours, a presidential inauguration and the return of Grand Prix Rejects. :dance:

Can confirm we've got new articles in the works, possibly as early as this Saturday. Watch this space.
Fetzie on Ferrari wrote:How does a driver hurtling around a race track while they're sous-viding in their overalls have a better understanding of the race than a team of strategy engineers in an air-conditioned room?l
Rob Dylan

Post by Rob Dylan »

It's good to be back, 2021 is off to a good start! I'm happy to return to my moderator role, to run the Paul Stoddart Memorial Forum, to get ROTR and IIDOTR awards decided upon, and of course Predicament Predictions! Order shall be presumed under my watch. And Felipe Nasr shall never be forgotten!

I would also be happy to write an introductory sticky "Introduction to Rejectdom" or something along those lines explaining to newbies what it means to be a reject, why we're all here, what our interest is and what it's all about being one of us :)

Most of all I'm happy to be able to use this emoji again :dance:
Murray Walker at the 1997 Austrian Grand Prix wrote:The other [Stewart] driver, who nobody's been paying attention to, because he's disappointing, is Jan Magnussen.
Felipe Nasr - the least forgettable F1 driver!
CaptainGetz12
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by CaptainGetz12 »

Of all the days it would come back, it's the day the salesman leaves the Oval Office :D

My heartfelt thanks to everyone who worked hard and for a long time to get this forum back up!
Klon wrote:What did poor André do to you for him to be insulted like that?
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

Rob Dylan wrote:, and of course Predicament Predictions! :

Some people did submit PPs for last season on the temporary forum. Can these be scored? No worries if not...
watka wrote:I find it amusing that whilst you're one of the more openly Christian guys here, you are still first and foremost associated with an eye for the ladies!
dinizintheoven wrote:GOOD CHRISTIANS do not go to jail. EVERYONE ON FORMULA ONE REJECTS should be in jail.
MCard LOLA
Rob Dylan

Post by Rob Dylan »

dr-baker wrote:
Rob Dylan wrote:, and of course Predicament Predictions! :

Some people did submit PPs for last season on the temporary forum. Can these be scored? No worries if not...

I had absolutely no idea this temporary forum existed! :shock: I would have definitely organised there if I had known. Well let's have a look-see, I can get back to you on that front :)
Murray Walker at the 1997 Austrian Grand Prix wrote:The other [Stewart] driver, who nobody's been paying attention to, because he's disappointing, is Jan Magnussen.
Felipe Nasr - the least forgettable F1 driver!
dinizintheoven

Post by dinizintheoven »

The temporary forum was certainly a welcome distraction while this site had its six months of downtime. I would hope that there is some kind of explanation as to what happened and why, the likes of which were denied to us when Formula One Rejects went 404 and GPR was created in its place. I would also hope that we get to hear it sooner rather than later. If the reasons for the downtime include words such as "COVID-19", "Brexit" or "Trump", I will assume that there is something to hide.

There's no point in beating around the bush - throughout 2020, my interest in F1 - motorsport in general, even - took another hit, and it was nothing to do with GPR's absence. Whether it was Mercedes having no realistic competition, the virtue-signalling crusade of Saint Lewis of Stevenage, or the constant parade of drivers bending the knee to a new secular religion, no amount of unexpected wins by Pierre Gasly and not-quite-so-unexpected wins by Sergio Pérez, and no amount of all-new-to-F1 tracks or the return of those long abandoned could compensate for that. We're in for another year of the same, and not being able to watch any race other than the British Grand Prix live is no longer the nightmare scenario that would once have convinced me to sign my life savings away to Sky Sports that it would once have been. It may be that I get some kind of enthusiasm back when 2022 kicks off, but I won't count on it. I'm not even the same person I was when the last proper chore of a season dragged on like a slug on Mogadon towards the end of 2013, and 2020 has done a huge amount of damage.

The alternative forum only had a few topics that would get a few posts here and there, usually when a Grand Prix was about to be held. Likely as not, I'm only going to be around at those times, and that's if I remember. Don't get me wrong, I'm glad GPR is back, because I thought this day would never come - but it won't be on the daily basis that it once was. I'm going to be reasonably well occupied trying to uproot myself to a new part of the country (which, until very recently, I thought was a done deal) so that I can live out the remaining few years of my life in some sort of... what's the word? It's certainly not "normality", it's "a minimal level of catastrophic abnormality". But I'm also more heavily involved in running the comp.sys.sinclair Crap Games Competition for this year, and my aims for that are to make it as big a job as I can possibly take on, one that dwarfs the publication of the final F1RMGP season where the race reports had grown way out of hand.

Now, if someone would like to dig up that post about the life and career of Justin Wilson from this sub-forum and turn it into a proper profile before it's potentially lost forever again...
James Allen, on his favourite F1 engine of all time:
"...the Life W12, I can't describe the noise to you, but imagine filling your dustbin with nuts and bolts, and then throwing it down the stairs, it was something akin to that!"
Miguel98

Post by Miguel98 »

dinizintheoven wrote:The temporary forum was certainly a welcome distraction while this site had its six months of downtime. I would hope that there is some kind of explanation as to what happened and why, the likes of which were denied to us when Formula One Rejects went 404 and GPR was created in its place. I would also hope that we get to hear it sooner rather than later. If the reasons for the downtime include words such as "COVID-19", "Brexit" or "Trump", I will assume that there is something to hide.

There's no point in beating around the bush - throughout 2020, my interest in F1 - motorsport in general, even - took another hit, and it was nothing to do with GPR's absence. Whether it was Mercedes having no realistic competition, the virtue-signalling crusade of Saint Lewis of Stevenage, or the constant parade of drivers bending the knee to a new secular religion, no amount of unexpected wins by Pierre Gasly and not-quite-so-unexpected wins by Sergio Pérez, and no amount of all-new-to-F1 tracks or the return of those long abandoned could compensate for that. We're in for another year of the same, and not being able to watch any race other than the British Grand Prix live is no longer the nightmare scenario that would once have convinced me to sign my life savings away to Sky Sports that it would once have been. It may be that I get some kind of enthusiasm back when 2022 kicks off, but I won't count on it. I'm not even the same person I was when the last proper chore of a season dragged on like a slug on Mogadon towards the end of 2013, and 2020 has done a huge amount of damage.

The alternative forum only had a few topics that would get a few posts here and there, usually when a Grand Prix was about to be held. Likely as not, I'm only going to be around at those times, and that's if I remember. Don't get me wrong, I'm glad GPR is back, because I thought this day would never come - but it won't be on the daily basis that it once was. I'm going to be reasonably well occupied trying to uproot myself to a new part of the country (which, until very recently, I thought was a done deal) so that I can live out the remaining few years of my life in some sort of... what's the word? It's certainly not "normality", it's "a minimal level of catastrophic abnormality". But I'm also more heavily involved in running the comp.sys.sinclair Crap Games Competition for this year, and my aims for that are to make it as big a job as I can possibly take on, one that dwarfs the publication of the final F1RMGP season where the race reports had grown way out of hand.

Now, if someone would like to dig up that post about the life and career of Justin Wilson from this sub-forum and turn it into a proper profile before it's potentially lost forever again...

It had nothing to do that: Biscione was very busy through 2020, and only very recently I got access to the database to fix what was broken. If I/we could, we would have done it earlier - I guarantee you that. I'm very sorry for that, really.

Essentially, with the fixes applied, there shouldn't be no problem in the forum staying up for the time being - I will be monitoring everything carefully and periodically make backups of the entire website in case something bad happens. I am really, truly sorry.

On the rest of the post: I definetelly understand your points. I also would like to wish you good luck on your new adventure! 2020 was not an easy year, and we all changed in many ways. I hope we can all find some sort of peace regarding what is happening soon enough.

Also, on the Justin Wilson post: I can't remember that post, but it surely must be here somewhere - nothing got deleted. What was it?

Aerond
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Aerond »

We're back in biznezz booooys :glasses:
Tread lightly in ARWS. Every decision might be your last.
madmark1974

Post by madmark1974 »

Welcome back one and all!
Nuppiz
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Nuppiz »

I'd like to add to Miguel's post that the fix might've happened sooner if I had given him proper access earlier.

But I wasn't in the right mentality to do that. Biscione's initial comments were that restoring the site would be very difficult, and combined with my own "issues" (see Therapybox) taking a massive toll on my mental reserves I didn't even consider attempting to fix the site myself - or give access to someone far more knowledgeable.

But late last year my situation massively improved and I was able to concentrate on "fun" things again. And one of those "fun" things was suddenly deciding to make a spreadsheet of Artemio Matarazzo's career. As I was making it I found out that one of the race results was missing from my own archives so obviously I did what every sane person would do and logged into the site's root directory in an attempt to extract the SQL database just for that one post.

I couldn't get anywhere so I quite literally handed over the keys to Miguel, who is far more knowledgeable about these things. That was 8 days ago. A day later he was already able to restore the site back online. Then it took a few days before we were able to establish contact with Biscione and ask if he was OK with all this.

And now were here.
Eurosport broadcast for the 1990 Mexican GP prequalifying:
"The Life, it looked very lifeless yet again... in fact Bruno did one, slow lap"
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

dinizintheoven wrote:

Is this the post that you are thinking of? https://www.gprejects.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=7557&p=348150
watka wrote:I find it amusing that whilst you're one of the more openly Christian guys here, you are still first and foremost associated with an eye for the ladies!
dinizintheoven wrote:GOOD CHRISTIANS do not go to jail. EVERYONE ON FORMULA ONE REJECTS should be in jail.
MCard LOLA
Ducktanian

Post by Ducktanian »

I can't believe its back. 2021 has been worth it already! :dance:
Murray Walker: "A lot of people here are really debating whether Ricardo Rosset is Formula 1 material"
Martin Brundle: "Well, it's a fairly short debate, Murray".
Butterfox
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Butterfox »

It's great to be back.

Not having this place just felt... weird. Despite the discord being awesome in its own way.

Also this is the first time i hear about a temporary forum existing, owo
I don't know what i want and i want it now!
FullMetalJack
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by FullMetalJack »

Good to have this place back, and I look forward to the new content.

Here's to the losers.
I like the way Snrub thinks!
takagi_for_the_win

Post by takagi_for_the_win »

Goodness gracious me, it lives!
TORA! TORA! TORA!
Meatwad

Post by Meatwad »

It's alive! :D After such a long time, I thought the forum was gone for good... but old habits die hard, I still had to count results for that one alternative championship (and now I can finally post them).
Barbazza

Post by Barbazza »

Wow, this is truly amazing. The best comeback since I showed up at Minardi and scored a couple of points FOR SURE!
Peteroli34

Post by Peteroli34 »

Its good to be back, Not being able to visit for the best part of the year, coming back on it took me a while to sort of work out where everything is. i can help but feel that some of the forums seem a bit cluttered and could probably do with a clear-out
When you clock on a forum you have to scroll through 10 announcements before you get to the topics. 5 of which are about new articles, couldn't that be combined into one announcement and just change the topic when a new one is released.
I don't know if maybe if we could do a few more sub forums
for example. The The Eric van de Poole Memorial Forum is the random forum as an eclectic mix of other motorsport, f1 history and random stuff. its all grouped together, Where as you could have a sub forum for F1 history and another for other motorsport.
Miguel98

Post by Miguel98 »

peteroli34 wrote:Its good to be back, Not being able to visit for the best part of the year, coming back on it took me a while to sort of work out where everything is. i can help but feel that some of the forums seem a bit cluttered and could probably do with a clear-out
When you clock on a forum you have to scroll through 10 announcements before you get to the topics. 5 of which are about new articles, couldn't that be combined into one announcement and just change the topic when a new one is released.
I don't know if maybe if we could do a few more sub forums
for example. The The Eric van de Poole Memorial Forum is the random forum as an eclectic mix of other motorsport, f1 history and random stuff. its all grouped together, Where as you could have a sub forum for F1 history and another for other motorsport.

Yeah, the announcements will be cleared up tomorrow, when Londoner drops the new article.

Personally, I agree with the rest, I think the forum needs some re-cleaning and re-structuring on that behalf, as some stuff is lost. The Jean-Denis Deletraz Forum and Eric van der Poele forum share some things, but it could be split into, for example, historical discussion (JDD and the historical bit of Eric), and other motorsports (Eric van der Poele).

dinizintheoven

Post by dinizintheoven »

dr-baker wrote:
dinizintheoven wrote:Now, if someone would like to dig up that post about the life and career of Justin Wilson from this sub-forum and turn it into a proper profile before it's potentially lost forever again...

Is this the post that you are thinking of? https://www.gprejects.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=7557&p=348150

That would be the one.
James Allen, on his favourite F1 engine of all time:
"...the Life W12, I can't describe the noise to you, but imagine filling your dustbin with nuts and bolts, and then throwing it down the stairs, it was something akin to that!"
Ataxia
Not Important

Post by Ataxia »

Miguel and Nuppiz have done a great job tidying everything up and getting the site back online. I think before we offer ideas for large-scale changes, we let them get acquainted with the back-end of the site and work out what still needs to be done to ensure it remains functional long-term.

There's a couple of new articles in the pipeline and, as Miguel mentioned, I'm sure further ideas will be very much appreciated!

Hope everyone's keeping well - and welcome home.
Mitch Hedberg wrote:I want to be a race car passenger: just a guy who bugs the driver. Say man, can I turn on the radio? You should slow down. Why do we gotta keep going in circles? Man, you really like Tide...
Wallio
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Wallio »

Wow, did one of my periodical checks of forum link that I have been doing for the last few months, and was surprised to see us back up. Even better that there is an explanation this time! (Its wonderful not being lied to!) Hopefully the traffic loss won't be permanent.

Also we have a Reddit? As much as I detest that cesspool, a GPR sub may make it worth venturing over there.

I am sort of the opposite of Dinitz, in that thanks to F1TV, I maybe more into F1 than I have been in 20 years, LOLLEWISWINSLOL and all the early season political bullshit aside. Websites like The-Race and The Parc Ferme filled in for here over quarantine. So while I can't promise my pre-shut down level of activity, I will be around, in some form. And I do still have my "Reject Engines" piece that I started somewhere, although its nowhere near being ready.
Professional Historian/Retired Drag Racer/Whiskey Enthusiast

"He makes the move on the outside, and knowing George as we do, he's probably on the radio right now telling the team how great he is." - James Hinchcliffe on George Russell
Fetzie

Post by Fetzie »

Wallio wrote:Also we have a Reddit? As much as I detest that cesspool, a GPR sub may make it worth venturing over there.

I don't know if splitting the discussion between three places (this forum, discord and a sub-reddit) would be a good idea. I think it would just make it harder to find and have a discussion on a topic.
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

Fetzie wrote:
Wallio wrote:Also we have a Reddit? As much as I detest that cesspool, a GPR sub may make it worth venturing over there.

I don't know if splitting the discussion between three places (this forum, discord and a sub-reddit) would be a good idea. I think it would just make it harder to find and have a discussion on a topic.

Agreed.
MCard LOLA
Wallio
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Wallio »

Oh, my mistake. I must have misread Miguel's orginial post. I thought he was saying we already had a presence on Reddit. I have no idea what discord and mibbit are, and have no interest in finding out, but I do venture on Reddit occasionally and would support GPR there if it exists. If not, no biggie. I like it here anyway. :D
Professional Historian/Retired Drag Racer/Whiskey Enthusiast

"He makes the move on the outside, and knowing George as we do, he's probably on the radio right now telling the team how great he is." - James Hinchcliffe on George Russell
CoopsII

Post by CoopsII »

This thing's had more comebacks than Nigel Mansell. Is this now your McLaren 1995 phase? Or are you up to the Jordan 1996 test already?

Either way, it's great you're back. The world needs Rejects.
Just For One Day...
pasta_maldonado
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by pasta_maldonado »

A bit late, but it's good to be back... too much time spent here for it to be gone forever. Good job to all involved.
Klon wrote:more liek Nick Ass-idy amirite?
BabyG

Post by BabyG »

Very happy to find the forum back up. Had honestly given up hope, hence being literally the last person to know.

F1/GP Rejects has been my go to place for F1 talk away from the mainstream media for 15 years. Here’s to the next 15!

Keep up the good work those who provide content and those who got and keep this amazing place online.