Infinite Improbability Drive of the Race - Bahrain 2021 POLL

The place for speaking your mind on current goings-on in F1

Pick your Infinite Improbability Drive of the Race!

Poll ended at 02 Apr 2021, 07:52

Lando Norris
21%
Sergio Pérez
21%
Yuki Tsunoda
59%

Total votes: 29

Londoner

Infinite Improbability Drive of the Race - Bahrain 2021 POLL

Post by Londoner »

1. Yuki Tsunoda. Points on debut!

2. Lando Norris. Basically stayed in P4 all day long, and clearly had the measure of Ricciardo.

Honourable mentions to Sergio Perez for a sublime comeback drive, and I guess Mick Schumacher for getting what looks like a totally undriveable car to the chequered flag.
Fetzie on Ferrari wrote:How does a driver hurtling around a race track while they're sous-viding in their overalls have a better understanding of the race than a team of strategy engineers in an air-conditioned room?l
You-Gee-Eee-Day

Re: Infinite Improbability Drive of the Race - Bahrain 2021

Post by You-Gee-Eee-Day »

1. Norris - amazing drive
2. Kimi - Kimi
:deletraz:

F1 2019 in a nutshell:
Roses are Red
Violets are Blue
"Ferrari is faster"
Mercedes 1-2
Spooder918

Post by Spooder918 »

1. Sergio Perez, brilliant drive from the back
2. Lando Norris, man drove a superb race in P4 all day long
that guy from '18 US GP wrote: NYOOOOOOOM
Jack Aitken!
RAK

Post by RAK »

1) Yuki Tsunoda: Quietly making up for a poor qualifying with a points finish.

2) Lando Norris: Solid performance and a good finish for a driver I have certainly learnt to rate.

Honourable Mention: Sergio Peréz - Another comeback from a poor qualifying; hoping to see him higher up the grid in later races.
Predicament Predictions Champion, 2011, 2018, 2019

They weren't the world's most competent team,
In fact, to be believed, their results must be seen,
Lola,
M-Mastercard Lola,
L, O, L, A, Lola!
This Could Be You

Post by This Could Be You »

IIDOTR
1. Yuki Tsunoda: Impressive pace all weekend, great racecraft, points on debut: convincingly the best of the rookie crop (tho admittedly in a far better car than the other two)
2. Lando Norris: quietly went about his business and was best of the rest, well ahead of Ricciardo
HM:
The championship battle: we might actually have one this year!
Your Signature Here

Named after HRT, now on HRT
Hermann95
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Hermann95 »

1. Yuki Tsunoda, very solid rookie performance. Looked quick all weekend
2. Lando Norris, good weekend with a quiet but more than solid fourth place finish.
Alextrax52

Post by Alextrax52 »

Norris for being a clear BOTR.

Tsunoda: I so hope this guy can become what we wanted Sato to be

Perez: Very good recovery. Yeah he had fresh tires at the end but would Gasly or Albion have come back from the start?

Raikkonen: so close to points on merit
IceG

Post by IceG »

1 Tsunoda
2 Perez
Fetzie

Post by Fetzie »

1. Tsunoda for a great debut
2. Norris for a very consistent drive to 4th
Meatwad

Post by Meatwad »

I nominate Tsunoda for a very impressive debut weekend. Shame about Q2, he could have done much more if not for his failure there, but otherwise he showed a much better performance than some more experienced drivers.

Honorable mention for the Verstappen/Hamilton battle at the end, that was one of the most exciting finishes in a while.
rachel1990

Post by rachel1990 »

1- Yuki Tsunoda - Impressive Debut and points.
2- Lando Norris- 4th place. Beat Danny Ric fair and square. That McLaren looks good

HM- Perez for everything that was thrown at him at that race he kept passing cleanly and I think might have beaten Bottas if he didn't have to start in the pitlane.
Benetton of 1992. Never a reject
tBone

Post by tBone »

1. Yuki Tsunoda. A shame he didn't make it into Q3, but a more than solid debut race.
2. Lewis Hamilton. Winning a race on merit when you're not in the fastest car is always IIDOTR worthy.

HMs for Perez (showed in the race why he's better than Gasly and Albon were at Red Bull) and Leclerc (great qualifying, great opening laps and good result).
YOUR
LOGO

Here
Bleu

Post by Bleu »

1. Lando Norris - quiet race but very successful one
2. Lewis Hamilton - Red Bull seemed better car but Hamilton won
Pilot

Post by Pilot »

1. Yuki Tsunoda. Class first race
2. Sergio Perez. Battled back from the bottom
Biscione wrote:Can you stop being such a snowflake for five minutes?
James1978

Post by James1978 »

1. Tsunoda - consider me a fan already
2. Hamilton. Yes I know but I had Max down as race winner all weekend. Not many win races they shouldn't without the other main contenders retiring!

Norris definitely deserves credit too - I expected Danny Ric to be ahead of him despite being new to the team.

Perez too - from looking like a DNS to P5. Could be interesting if he qualifies better which he surely will, could start giving Bottas a hard time.
"Poor old Warwick takes it from behind all throughout this season". :) (Tony Jardine, 1988)
koshiro

Post by koshiro »

Lando Norris: Silent but great race.
Tsunoda: Solid debut after the disappointment of Q2.

HM: Pérez. From 20th to 5th, not as impressive and heroic as last year win, but he deserves some recognition.
dinizintheoven

Post by dinizintheoven »

One nomination to Sergio Pérez for a storming recovery drive that I'd hope Alex Albon was watching from wherever he might be watching from, and the other to Yuki Tsunoda. I knew this day was coming, but now that there's someone born in 2000 on the F1 grid who's now scored a couple of points at his first attempt, it reminds me I am old, even if I'm only three months north of Kimi Räikkönen.
James Allen, on his favourite F1 engine of all time:
"...the Life W12, I can't describe the noise to you, but imagine filling your dustbin with nuts and bolts, and then throwing it down the stairs, it was something akin to that!"
Miguel98

Post by Miguel98 »

1. Lando Norris - Beat Ricciardo by a good margin and ran 4th all race long. Brilliant drive.
2. Sergio Pérez - Great comeback drive and seems better and better each day in knowing car.

Honorable mention to Alfa Romeo, Fernando Alonso and Yuki Tsunoda.
Mario on Gutierrez after the Italian Grand Prix wrote:He's no longer just a bit of a tool, he's the entire tool set.

18-07-2015: Forever in our hearts Jules.
25-08-2015: Forever in our hearts Justin.
WaffleCat

Post by WaffleCat »

1. Lando Norris -- Given his form at the tail end of last year, I didn't expect much. But he was a place away from the podium positions and he outclassed Ricky. Not a bad innings at all.

2. Yuki Tsunoda -- Points on debut. Didn't swear on the radio during the race. Always a win
My friend's USB drive spoiled, spilled tea on her laptop and had a bird poo in her hand.

What did she do in her past life to deserve this?

Signup for the Random Racing League, Season TWO!!!
UncreativeUsername37

Post by UncreativeUsername37 »

1. Lando Norris; yes, it's Ricciardo's first race in a new team, but if Norris keeps this up he'll be part of the elite
2. AlphaTauri; okay, more like IIDOTW, but they were entertainment. And I want them to get some credit for Tsunoda's points too.
Rob Dylan wrote:Mercedes paying homage to the other W12 chassis by breaking down 30 minutes in
takagi_for_the_win

Post by takagi_for_the_win »

1. Tsunoda - very solid debut. Looked quick, made some nice overtakes on some very illustrious names, and capped the weekend off with points. Very impressive.

2. Norris - I'm a bit loathe to give IIDOTR to a McLaren driver for finishing 4th (unless it happened in the McHonda days ofc :P ) but he had a solid drive to P4 and no faults really.

Honourable mention - Perez - Once again, I'm loathe to give IIDOTR to those driving cars that are pretty much the class of the field but having seen Albon and Gasly really struggle against "Formula 1.5" cars in the second Red Bull for the last few years, it was a nice change of pace to see someone put that second car to good use and carve through the field.
TORA! TORA! TORA!
Frogfoot9013

Post by Frogfoot9013 »

IIDOTR nominations, in no particular order, are Yuki Tsunoda, Lando Norris, and Sergio Perez, for the same reasons that others have already nominated them.
James Hunt, commentating on the 1991 German Grand Prix wrote:The Benettons looking very smart together on the track, mostly because they're both going so slowly.
pi314159

Post by pi314159 »

IIDOTR for this race is a difficult decision, as there were several drivers who outperformed expectations, but no real standout drives. Tsunoda certainly impressed on his debut, but since Gasly was effectively out after losing his front wing, Yuki's performance becomes difficult to rate. Sergio Perez pulled off a good recovery drive, but he did so in arguably the fastest car on the grid. Norris did pretty much what was expected of the McLaren, and beating Ricciardo will be a bit more impressive if he still does it once Daniel has acquainted himself with the car.

My nomination for IIDOTR is therefore Lewis Hamilton. On Saturday, this race appeared over, as Verstappen outqualified Lewis by a margin of several tenths. Perhaps helped by the better performance of the Mercedes on harder tyres, Lewis managed to stay close enough to Verstappen to pull off an impressive undercut. At the end of the race, he held off a rapid Max Verstappen who was on fresher tyres and narrowly hung on to an unexpected victory. This was the battle we have been hoping to see for years now, and let's hope that it continues this way over the season.
pasta_maldonado wrote:The stewards have recommended that Alan Jones learns to drive.
Pacific Edge

Post by Pacific Edge »

1st: Tsunoda: Even if he has a wild driving style, he made it work, and got the job done. Can be well chuffed.

2nd: Perez: Kept his head up after the early setback, and bought it home with a decent points haul to boot
SammiRei

Post by SammiRei »

1st: Sergio Perez
Considering his car nearly died on the formation lap and he started from the pits, getting back up to 5th by the end of the race was a pretty good effort, and as oother people have already pointed out, not something we're likely to have seen from Gasly, Albon or Kvyat.

2nd: Yuki Tsunoda
Some of it will have been the car, but compared to the other two rookies sliding around early on, Tsunoda kept his head down and quietly got on with the race, and managed to grab 9th from Stroll right at the end.

HM: Lando Norris - 4th's good, but it's about where I'd expect him to be at the moment. Interesting how he had the measure of Daniel Riccardo though, and I suspect if this continues that'll be largely the end of Riccardo's chances at a world championship (sadly).
CaptainGetz12
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by CaptainGetz12 »

1) Yuki Tsunoda. Points on debut, and looked like a solid driver from the get go.

2) Sergio Perez. Climbed up the grid from the back, which isn't a guarantee for Red Bull's second driver these days.

Honourable Mentions:
AlphaTauri (Could have been DOTR if it wasn't for Gasly's tangle)
Mercedes Strategists (outfoxed a faster Red Bull for the win)
Lando Norris (Held P4 all race, was clearly the better driver at Mclaren today)
Klon wrote:What did poor André do to you for him to be insulted like that?
Rob Dylan

Post by Rob Dylan »

There were three main contenders for this award, and the three candidates that vastly outnumbered anyone else are free to choose from at the top of this thread! Get voting, you have 48 hours :dance:
Murray Walker at the 1997 Austrian Grand Prix wrote:The other [Stewart] driver, who nobody's been paying attention to, because he's disappointing, is Jan Magnussen.
Felipe Nasr - the least forgettable F1 driver!
Londoner

Post by Londoner »

The GPR editorial board have decided to bring back website articles announcing the winners of ROTR and IIDOTR at each race, which our very own Rob Dylan will write up for us following the forum polls. We hope to keep this up for more than two races in a row. :pantano:

Anyway, the results for Bahrain 2021 can be found right here!
Fetzie on Ferrari wrote:How does a driver hurtling around a race track while they're sous-viding in their overalls have a better understanding of the race than a team of strategy engineers in an air-conditioned room?l