Infinite Improbability Drive of the Race - Emilia-Romag POLL

The place for speaking your mind on current goings-on in F1

Pick your Infinite Improbability Drive of the Race!

Poll ended at 23 Apr 2021, 11:01

Ferrari
10%
Lance Stroll
17%
Lando Norris
63%
BONUS: Lewis Hamilton’s luck
10%

Total votes: 30

Londoner

Infinite Improbability Drive of the Race - Emilia-Romag POLL

Post by Londoner »

1. Lando Norris. Incredible pace, a great overtake at the restart, and his second podium finish. Nice one Lando.

2. George Russell. I know it all went wrong, but he was legit fighting a Mercedes for position. In a Williams.
Fetzie on Ferrari wrote:How does a driver hurtling around a race track while they're sous-viding in their overalls have a better understanding of the race than a team of strategy engineers in an air-conditioned room?l
Frogfoot9013

Re: Infinite Improbability Drive of the Race - Emilia-Romagn

Post by Frogfoot9013 »

My nomination is to Lando Norris: a sterling effort to put the McLaren on the podium, even if he couldn't quite hold off Hamilton in the final few laps.
James Hunt, commentating on the 1991 German Grand Prix wrote:The Benettons looking very smart together on the track, mostly because they're both going so slowly.
You-Gee-Eee-Day

Post by You-Gee-Eee-Day »

1. Norris
2. Leclerc
:deletraz:

F1 2019 in a nutshell:
Roses are Red
Violets are Blue
"Ferrari is faster"
Mercedes 1-2
Fetzie

Post by Fetzie »

Lando Norris.
RAK

Post by RAK »

1) Lando Norris: A hard-fought podium where he fended off a rampant Hamilton for several laps.

2) Lance Stroll: Again, quite a distance between him and his teammate; in a field where few drivers covered themselves in glory, he had a quiet but successful points finish.
Predicament Predictions Champion, 2011, 2018, 2019

They weren't the world's most competent team,
In fact, to be believed, their results must be seen,
Lola,
M-Mastercard Lola,
L, O, L, A, Lola!
rachel1990

Post by rachel1990 »

Quite a few nominations today for me

HM- Lance Stroll- Didn't really do much wrong and more points for the team
HM- Gasly- Recovered after a dreadful first third of the race
HM- Both Ferrari drivers- didn't expect a 4th and 5th after the first lap for them.
HM- the race itself- Wasn't expecting it to be THAT good!

2nd- Willams. The team had good pace today. The team did their job. The drivers less so.

1st- Lando Norris- Looked very strong all weekend and deserved his 3rd (maybe should have been second) the team made the right call swapping the Mclarens and Norris repaid their faith in droves
Benetton of 1992. Never a reject
James1978

Post by James1978 »

I'm going to say Norris then Stroll - I didn't expect them to be seriously beating their illustrious respective teammates despite both being new to their teams!
"Poor old Warwick takes it from behind all throughout this season". :) (Tony Jardine, 1988)
Meatwad

Post by Meatwad »

Lando Norris was great throughout the weekend – his qualifying was very impressive in spite of the unfortunate end. And in the race, he really took the maximum result. I was expecting him to lose positions to the Ferrari drivers after he was overtaken by Hamilton, but he managed to stay third.
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

I'm going to play Devil's Advocate here and say Mazipin. How many of you predicted that he would have made it to the end of the race, let alone the end of lap one? Not me, that's for sure!

But yeah, Norris on the podium was a pleasant surprise, as was Russell running in the points on merit before that crash.
watka wrote:I find it amusing that whilst you're one of the more openly Christian guys here, you are still first and foremost associated with an eye for the ladies!
dinizintheoven wrote:GOOD CHRISTIANS do not go to jail. EVERYONE ON FORMULA ONE REJECTS should be in jail.
MCard LOLA
Butterfox
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Butterfox »

Lando Norris got a well-earned driver of the race in my opinion. If it weren't for track limits, his weekend could be considered close to perfection.

As a second choice i'll nominate Ferrari for... actually being competitive and not doing anything weird.
I don't know what i want and i want it now!
Alextrax52

Post by Alextrax52 »

Got to be Lando Norris for me. The man was on it all weekend. Just needs to avoid track limits now

Lance Stroll did really well too considering the reliability woes his team have had.

And Kimi Raikkonen deserves a shout too. Yes he spun through the gravel but considering that Alfa Romeo, Williams and especially Haas will find points so hard to come by, those 2 points are absolutely vital
Chrisdude

Post by Chrisdude »

1. Leclerc - from almost doing a Prost '91 on the formation lap to bringing it home very close to the podium with solid pace all race.

2. Stroll - I don't like the guy, but he brought home a strong result in a car that clearly wasn't all there, and kept out of trouble with a clean, under the radar drive. Decent effort.
dj_vicious

Post by dj_vicious »

1st: Lando Norris. That's a slam dunk IIDOTR right there. Outperformed his more highly rated teammate, brought the McLaren to another podium finish, and even gave Hamilton in an infinitely quicker car a challenge to get by. It's important to add that when Hamilton did get by, Norris let it happen without compromising his own race. This was all on soft tires that were expected to drop off by the end of the race. The kid's got talent and unlike his contemporary George Russell, doesn't squander results with stupid mistakes.

2nd: Lewis Hamilton's luck. Yes, it is all fortuitous, but a Mercedes teammate and a Mercedes junior driving causing a red flag is almost enough to dig out the old tinfoil hat. Hamilton managed to finish 2nd thanks to a chain of events that erased about 90% of the consequences of his error. His championship challenge was even unhindered thanks to the absolutely disgraceful performances of him and his challenger's teammates.
koshiro

Post by koshiro »

Norris: Superb race. Fought Hamilton bravely despite not having a chance and was able to defend himself from the Ferrari with old wheels.

Honorable mention: Verstappen: Comfortable win, just missed the fastest lap to have a perfect Sunday. I'm surprised no one mentioned him. He proved that this year we may have a real competition for the championship.
tBone

Post by tBone »

1. Lando Norris. Very strong weekend all around and I honestly hadn't expected him to make Ricciardo look a bit anonymous in any race.

2. Charles Leclerc. That qualifying was brilliant and so was his race, especially until the red flag. He looked like an outsider for the win at some moments.
YOUR
LOGO

Here
SammiRei

Post by SammiRei »

1st place goes to Lando Norris
Solid drive to the podium, and one of relatively few drivers not to have a noticable incident during the race itself. He needed to beat Riccardo solidly this year to put himself in the 'potential world champion' bracket, and so far so good.

2nd goes to Ferrari
Given how badly they were doing last season and even in testing, 4th and 5th was not where I expected to see them this year. Much improved and hopefully will result in an interesting battle with McLaren over 3rd in the constructor's this year.

HM: Lewis Hamilton. Good results are to be expected of him, but considering he was a whisker away from putting it into the wall, he recovered well. I also appreciated him calmly accepting he'd made a mistake and getting on with it, something we don't always see from him.
Spectoremg

Post by Spectoremg »

1. Lando. Nice one.
2. Lewis. For being jammy enough to crash into a safety car situation.
dinizintheoven

Post by dinizintheoven »

He's a good kid, is Lando.

If he has as long a career in F1 as Kimi Räikkönen, I might not live to see him retire.
James Allen, on his favourite F1 engine of all time:
"...the Life W12, I can't describe the noise to you, but imagine filling your dustbin with nuts and bolts, and then throwing it down the stairs, it was something akin to that!"
Pacific Edge

Post by Pacific Edge »

Can't choose between Ferrari and McLaren Both teams had their s**t together and were fighting for places they had no business fighting for. Good all round performances by the Maranello and Woking squads.
CaptainGetz12
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by CaptainGetz12 »

1) Lando Norris. Showed expert driving today against the Ferraris and Hamilton.

2) Ferrari. Brought it home 4th and 5th and minimized errors.

Honourable Mentions:
Williams (Their car showed midfield pace, now if only their drivers could meet the challenge. I'd be convinced to put Hulk in that car)
Lance Stroll (Kept a clear head in a hectic midfield battle to score points)
Klon wrote:What did poor André do to you for him to be insulted like that?
Hermann95
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Hermann95 »

It can only be Lando Norris
Miguel98

Post by Miguel98 »

1. Lando Norris - Very mature drive to score a podium and once again out-performed Ricciardo. Really good performance out there today, after yesterday almost getting pole position (if not for the lap-time getting removed).

2. Ferrari - 4th and 5th? Quite good weekend from the Scuderia today.

HM to:
Lance Stroll - Very mature drive as well from Lance, especially driving a wounded car.

Pierre Gasly - His strategy was terrible early-on, although I understand the gamble. But came through the field to score his first points of the season.
Mario on Gutierrez after the Italian Grand Prix wrote:He's no longer just a bit of a tool, he's the entire tool set.

18-07-2015: Forever in our hearts Jules.
25-08-2015: Forever in our hearts Justin.
Batty

Post by Batty »

1. Lance Stroll - Rear brakes on fire, gearshift issues and finishes 7th but relegated to 8th. Solid.

2. Lando Norris - 3rd and made some really good moves. Was really pacey throughout the race despite a bad start.
takagi_for_the_win

Post by takagi_for_the_win »

1. Lance Stroll
2. Lando Norris
TORA! TORA! TORA!
Aerond
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Aerond »

1.- Sainz: Sweet P11 to P5 despite mistakes
2.- Stroll: Got everything out of the AM

I don't count Norris because he was really strong all weekend and in the end it was not infinite improbable him finishing in the podium regarding his qualifying pace.
Tread lightly in ARWS. Every decision might be your last.
Rob Dylan

Re: Infinite Improbability Drive of the Race - Emilia-Romag

Post by Rob Dylan »

The poll is up! Four options based off of the most popular of your nominations.

You have 48 hours to vote :dance:
Murray Walker at the 1997 Austrian Grand Prix wrote:The other [Stewart] driver, who nobody's been paying attention to, because he's disappointing, is Jan Magnussen.
Felipe Nasr - the least forgettable F1 driver!
Rob Dylan

Re: Infinite Improbability Drive of the Race - Emilia-Romag

Post by Rob Dylan »

And as it shall be every race weekend from now on, we have made our official site announcement on the main page regarding our winner.

Let us know if you agree or disagree with the consensus :chilton:
Murray Walker at the 1997 Austrian Grand Prix wrote:The other [Stewart] driver, who nobody's been paying attention to, because he's disappointing, is Jan Magnussen.
Felipe Nasr - the least forgettable F1 driver!