Sergio Pérez
19%
Valtteri Bottas
22%

Total votes: 32

Londoner

Reject of the Race - Emilia-Romagna 2021 POLL

Post by Londoner »

1. Valtteri Bottas. Forget the accident with Russell, he should never have been fighting a Williams for position anyway given the car he's driving.

2. Sergio Perez. A race strewn with errors, from the front row to finishing outside the points. I am disappoint.

Honourable mention to Mick Schumacher, crashing under the SC is embarrassing yet he pulled it back by finishing a minute ahead of Mazepin, and Aston Martin. Both cars stricken with numerous technical issues before the race even began. Stroll did an incredible job to finish in the points with no brakes and a slipping gearbox.
Fetzie on Ferrari wrote:How does a driver hurtling around a race track while they're sous-viding in their overalls have a better understanding of the race than a team of strategy engineers in an air-conditioned room?l
Klon
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: Reject of the Race - Emilia-Romagna 2021

Post by Klon »

First off, the permanent ROTR: Formula One itself, for making things as easy as possible for top teams.

With that out of the way, it's gonna be as follows:

Mick Schumacher - lol

DRS - just because now people are gonna think Hamilton is actually good at overtaking
Ciaran

Post by Ciaran »

1. Checo, for blowing a 2nd chance at scoring some major points after the restart.
  2. Mick for spinning under the safety car.

Dishonourable mentions to Bottas, Russell, Ted Kravitz for "oh my god guise this is just like 1994" and David Croft for being David Croft.
Manager of Calsonic Team Impul in Formula E, K-Apex in PES & Eurasian F3 and Mitsuoka in Alt-F1 '76.
My career mode thread - 1988: AGS (19pts, 9th) // 1989: Arrows (25pts, 8th, 1 win!)
You'll never DNF if you always DNPQ. #RollSafe
RAK

Post by RAK »

1) Valterri Bottas: While Hamilton's second place was catalysed to a certain extent by luck with the red flag, he did make his way up through pace; meanwhile, Bottas was trundling along in the low points places before being taken off.

2) Sergio Perez: Just didn't make anything out of his grid position in the end; a sloppy drive which didn't even get points while his teammate won convincingly.

Dishonourable mention for Mick Schumacher. The Haas may be a poor car in general, but neither Haas driver has exactly made much from it either and it's making my thoughts that Formula 2 is running on a depleted field of talent have a bit more merit.
Predicament Predictions Champion, 2011, 2018, 2019

They weren't the world's most competent team,
In fact, to be believed, their results must be seen,
Lola,
M-Mastercard Lola,
L, O, L, A, Lola!
You-Gee-Eee-Day

Post by You-Gee-Eee-Day »

Bottas - How they haven't replaced him yet is beyond me
Mazepin - Mazepin
:deletraz:

F1 2019 in a nutshell:
Roses are Red
Violets are Blue
"Ferrari is faster"
Mercedes 1-2
Enforcer
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Enforcer »

Bottas, obviously.

Latifi took himself out with a careless rejoin.

Alpha Tauri for screwing Gasly with the wrong tire choice.

Mick weaving himself to a crash was fairly poor.

But, I have to look very strongly at:

Alpine. Anon all weekend. Ocon got a point, yes, but only because Bottas & Russell crashed, Vettel had gearbox problems, Perez went off the track a few times, Gio had to stop to fix his brakes and Tsunoda spun off at the restart. Without all that where would they have been?
Fetzie

Post by Fetzie »

Pèrez: Completely threw away anything that could have come from starting second. More mistakes than I can remember, loads of unforced errors. Completely rejectful.

Mazepin: Could have ended up a lap down from Mick. Who was second-last.

Bottas: While Hamilton carved his way through the top 10 from the same position at the restart that Bottas started from and finished second, Bottas went backwards and was unable to make any headway at all.
This Could Be You

Post by This Could Be You »

1. Sergio Perez: A mess of a race, with multiple offs, punalties and no points. The kind of performance that gets Red Bull #2 drivers prematurely sacked...

2. Valterri Bottas: Similar to the above, only ending in a massive crash that he was at least somewhat at fault, while fighting a Williams.

DHM (there's a lot):
Mick Schumacher: Very lucky that crashing under the SC for once isn't a slam-dunk ROTR

Nikita Mazepin: If Mick hadn't made that mistake, he'd have been lapped by him; as it was, he was over a minute behind his teammate on 'merit', and topped it off with his ninth spin in two race weekends. Runaway favourite for ROTY already, for sure.

Alpine: still hopeless.

Aston Martin: Still looking concerningly like the last midfield team to be rebranded as a premium British sportscar manufacturer and painted green, only without Eddie Irvine. Persistent technical issues are a worry too.

George Russell: threw away points with that massive off with Bottas, for which he was partially at fault

AlphaTauri: made a mess of that race, with poor strategy and lots of offs
Your Signature Here

Named after HRT, now on HRT
James1978

Post by James1978 »

Perez could be the new Fisichella - great in a midfield car, crap in a front-running one. Then again Bottas too. Both dead beat teammates.
"Poor old Warwick takes it from behind all throughout this season". :) (Tony Jardine, 1988)
rachel1990

Post by rachel1990 »

Again more nominations than winners
HM- My father for being a ridiculous Hamilton fanboy even wanting Verstappen to crash at the end so Hamilton would win.
HM- Mick Schumacher- if other events didn't happen he would be slam dunk ROTR but on reflection, two other drivers made more noteworthy mistakes. Plus he did finish and finished ahead of his teammate (not that it's hard)
HM- Yuki Tsunoda- Not a good weekend overall.
HM- Lewis Hamiltion- If the red flag hadn't come out at the perfect time he would have not got on the podium. shame. That
HM- Mazispin. Mick Could have knocked his whole car apart and still he would be ahead. And another spin.
HM- Willams drivers. Could have got points and both crashed out. Not sure about the George Crash but I think the Latifi crash was his fault.
HM- FIA penalty Graphics- No clear explanation on what penalty Perez got which confused even the commentators. Too Confusing for the fans. it was either a 10-second penalty or a stop or go.

2nd- Sergio Perez. Second on the grid. And he blew it. just kept going off the track. too many mistakes. Seemed to think he could get away with overtaking under the safety car and then spun off costing the team big points. Still an okay quali though. Compare it to...

1st- Valtteri Bottas. As much as Schumacher and Perez tried to win this award- Bottas had such a bad weekend that he wins the award for me. his teammate got pole and he was 8th. Bad enough. Then during the race, he had no pace (again) and was fighting with a Willams when they collided. No matter whose fault it was the fact was he was fighting with a Willams in a Mercedes. God I thought Turkey was bad.
Benetton of 1992. Never a reject
Meatwad

Post by Meatwad »

My nomination is George Russell. While his weekend did have better high points than those of some others (Bottas, Vettel...), this is something we've seen too often – the moment he has a good chance of points, something ends up going wrong. His behavior after the crash wasn't the best either...
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

- that crash for depriving Williams of points on merit for the first time for several years.

- Marzipan Mazispin. His teammate breaks his front wing and does two laps before it is replaced (aided by the SC) but still the second Haas is nearly lapped by the nephew of 6 time race winner RSC.
watka wrote:I find it amusing that whilst you're one of the more openly Christian guys here, you are still first and foremost associated with an eye for the ladies!
dinizintheoven wrote:GOOD CHRISTIANS do not go to jail. EVERYONE ON FORMULA ONE REJECTS should be in jail.
MCard LOLA
Shadaza

Post by Shadaza »

Toss up between the faster but more error prone Perez and the slow Bottas.

1) Bottas. Just a pathetic run all round, poor qualifying, even poorer start. Spent the race battling the likes of Stroll and his wounded car before the red flag crash when Russell in the WILLIAMS went to overtake him. Regardless of fault, Bottas should never have been back there in the first place. Valtteri looks even worse when Hamilton managed to carve through the field with relative ease.

2) Perez. Hero to zero. Multiple errors and spins to score no points in a very messy weekend. Not what Red Bull or anyone would be expecting of him. Overtaking cars under safety car is just a basic mistake and the team should have told him to give the places back.

HM for Aston's dodgy cars, the two oldest men on the grid for spinning out in non-racing conditions, Mick Schumacher being forced to do laps of shame with no front wing. Also, Alpha Tauri keeping Gasly out on full wets for far far too long!
Last edited by Shadaza on 18 Apr 2021, 16:23, edited 1 time in total.
Message me on Discord.
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

dr-baker wrote:- that crash for depriving Williams of points on merit for the first time for several years.

- Marzipan Mazispin. His teammate breaks his front wing and does two laps before it is replaced (aided by the SC) but still the second Haas is nearly lapped by the nephew of 6 time race winner RSC.

Also I want to blame Nikita for taking Nicolas Latifi out of the race, even though in my heart of hearts, I acknowledge that it is most likely a racing incident.
watka wrote:I find it amusing that whilst you're one of the more openly Christian guys here, you are still first and foremost associated with an eye for the ladies!
dinizintheoven wrote:GOOD CHRISTIANS do not go to jail. EVERYONE ON FORMULA ONE REJECTS should be in jail.
MCard LOLA
noiceinmydrink

Post by noiceinmydrink »

Aw, I'm torn.

I was going to go with Mick Schumacher for his snafu under the safety car - the debris of his own front wing prevented himself from going into the pit lane for repairs. Watching it live, for a second I was wondering why the hell he wasn't coming into the pits but when I realised my sides couldn't be saved. You can very reasonably argue nothing captured the spirit of Reject of the Race more than this moment right here.

But for my number one pick, I'm going to have to go with George Russell.

I'm a big fan thon George. I'm a George Russell stan, big time. I love his obsessive repulsive disorder approach to his work, his powerpoints, his talent, his whole schtick I'm just here for it. And the crash itself while it was very obviously his fault, people made sillier mistakes on the track before and after.

It was the aftermath that sold it for me though.

I'm not talking about the team radio, or the helmet smacking - lord knows I've done worse in the heat of the moment when I'm in the wrong - because it's part and parcel of bein an F1 driver; you go back to the paddock, you cool off for a bit, you're grand and perhaps you can look at the situation objectively. No problem for George I'm sure.

...but that's not what happened.

Soon after George made it clear he was going to foolishly stand his ground with a tweet he posted, which while worded soundly, still reflected a point of view that was clearly delusional, notwithstanding the fact it was made while Valtteri was still in the medical centre which, although Valtteri was not in any serious danger, I personally thought was in horribly bad taste.

And then came the interviews, where Russell implied that Bottas raced him harder because his Mercedes seat was under threat. This is simply ridiculous. It not only bizarrely implies that Valtteri had the presence in mind to introspectively think about that kind of thing with a Williams coming at him at over 200 MPH, it makes Russell look like a complete and utter prick who should be well above this kind of childish and pathetic electioneering.

George's reaction to the affair was so bafflingly out of character my eyes sank to my arse from the resulting cringe. The crash was his mistake, the outburst was silly, the social media post was distasteful and the interview responses were petulant. It was preposterous all round by any standards. But above all else, and the reason he's my ROTR, is that George should know better.
Butterfox
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Butterfox »

Theres... a lot of candidates.

I'm gonna elect Williams as first choice because both drivers did stupid things.
For second i'll nominate Bottas as he hasn't shown a single flash of pace this weekend, whilst most other drivers at least have shown something.

Though Perez, Alpha Tauri stategy, Tsunoda, both Haas drivers for the sbinalla, Vettel and the extremely anonymous Alonso all deserve a mention.
I don't know what i want and i want it now!
Alextrax52

Post by Alextrax52 »

2: Perez: so many errors. A guy of his experience should know by now that passing under Safety Car is illegal. Also His last mistake cost us a chance to finally see a Red Bull second driver try and interfere with Mercedes. But at least he had speed and was running 4th when he spun a second time which is more than I can say for....

1: Bottas: Once again he’s been shown up as the below average driver he really is. Qualified 8th in the dry on merit, toiled around the lower end of the points and then collided with the man who will almost certainly have a full time Mercedes drive next year who still drives the Williams. I don’t care who’s fault the incident was, I don’t care how much Williams have improved recently, The fact is Bottas collided with a Williams while fighting FOR POSITION IN A MERCEDES!!!. That’s a sackable offence to me. I haven’t even mentioned Hamilton’s recovery drive

DHM’s
Mick Schumacher: Sorry Mick I love you son but crashing under a SC deserves a mention. I don’t care who you are

AlphaTauri Strategists: Hey we’ll put our lead driver on Wet Tires when everyone else is on Intermediates on a drying track. Can’t see any problems here

Aston Martin Reliability: when was the last time 2 cars in one team had problems on the grid? Stroll did really well all things considered

Alpine: Slow all weekend and got a lucky point because others flew off. Not looking good
Chrisdude

Post by Chrisdude »

I'm gonna go for:

2. Latifi - should have paid more attention rejoining the action

1. Bottas - Inexplicably slow most of the weekend, qualified 8th and made no impression on the race pace wise, in a car that lewis put on pole and dragged up to second despite his off. And for getting involved in a messy, unnecessary crash while being overtaken for actual race position. BY A WILLIAMS.

DHM: Obviously Perez had a really poor race, but I didn't want to nominate him as almost everyone out there made big mistakes today, Sergio seemed to pay a bigger price for his than most. There was a very fine line between hero and zero, we could easily be laughing at Leclerc for binning it on the formation lap, Max for dropping it in the lead at the restart, (imagine the insanity if he'd actually gone around in front of the pack). Sainz went off loads of times and got away with it, Hamilton got a massive get out of jail free card with the red flag for a pretty silly off. There were very few clean drives today.
dj_vicious

Post by dj_vicious »

Going to be preaching to the choir here

2nd: Bottas. Overall a rejectful performance, but it no longer has that spark of surprise anymore as we've come to expect this kind of performance from Bottas in these racing conditions. I do think that Russell was at fault for the collision, but given the power of DRS, Bottas ought to have known he was going to come flying by -That said I'm biased in my dislike for Bottas.

1st: Perez. While Bottas was having a woeful performance on his own, tangling with a Williams fighting for position, Perez turned a 2nd place qualifying start into nothing by making every mistake possible. If Verstappen wants to win the championship, Perez needs to be there as a buffer between him and Hamilton. I had high expectations for Perez, and I felt they were justified after yesterday's qualifying. Today was a performance that makes one seriously ask, 'could Albon or Gasly have done a better job?'

DHM: The lengthened DRS zone. Okay, it's a mention only because this is only the 2nd time at the circuit in the DRS era and the FIA did right by lengthening the zone, but it was just a little too long. If a car exited the last corner within 0.6 seconds the lead car was basically a sitting duck.
tBone

Post by tBone »

Well, what a reject-fest that was...

1. Sergio Perez - how to waste the best RBR#2 qualifying in ages....

2. Williams drivers - how to waste Williams' first points on merit in ages....

DHM. Mick Schumacher - crashing under SC is ROTR material for sure.

DHM. Valtteri Bottas - humiliatingly far behind Hamilton, already a lap down halfway through the race

DHM. Yuki Tsunoda - you're a rookie. You're allowed to make rookie mistakes. But do you need to make all of them in one weekend?

DHM. Lewis Hamilton - That was a rare and silly mistake and it should have cost him massively.

DHM. Charles Leclerc's radio - He had no contact with the pit wall after the red flag and didn't even know of there would be a rolling start. Definitely cost him 2nd to Norris.

DHM. The entire universe - once again failing to properly punish Hamilton for a silly mistake. An instant red flag, with the stupid rule to give lapped guys their lap back and to give them better tyre temperature as a bonus. Leclerc's radio failure, leading to the DRS train breaking up and giving Lewis easier DRS passes, a gravel trap which just doesn't get that car stuck and last but not least: Perez crashing out: the one guy who definitely should have been able to keep him behind...
YOUR
LOGO

Here
Spectoremg

Post by Spectoremg »

Reject of the last decade. Someone tell me why Mercedes retain the services of Botthas.
Spectoremg

Post by Spectoremg »

Oops, I forgot, another reject of the last decade. Or maybe they qualify for reject team status: Haas, are you gonna do something or what?
SammiRei

Post by SammiRei »

So many people spinning makes this one a bit difficult to rate for me.

Worst place goes to Valtteri Bottas
50 of one, half a dozen of the other it may have been (even if at first glance it looked more like Russel's fault), but as other people have rightly pointed out, Bottas should not have been fighting for postion with a Williams in the first place.

Runner up goes to George Russell
Even if he flips you off, smacking a driver on the helmet after he's just been in a crash is exceedingly poor form.

DHM: Lewis Hamilton. I may have given him an HM in the other thread for the recovery drive, but he gets a DHM in this one for making the mistake that made it necessary.
DHM: Anyone who nearly binned it more than once during the race, there were enough of them that I lost track.
Pacific Edge

Post by Pacific Edge »

Points finish: Alpine Their results were greatly flattered by the mistakes of those ahead of them.

Some of them were:

3rd:Perez Made a rookie error, got lucky and got away with it, then made another mistake, a tardy day at the office.

2nd:Bottas Was just.... slow... then had a hand in the collsion with Russell.

Top step: Aston Martin Technical issue with Vettel, then couldn't get it all together in time and incurred a penalty. Also MORE technical issues affecting both their cars. They tried hard for this award today.
koshiro

Post by koshiro »

- Bottas: Being taken out of the race by Russell probably saved him from the embarrassment of finishing the race at the bottom of the point positions... but we shouldn't forget that the accident happened because a Williams was trying to overtake his Mercedes! I'm starting to think that he may not finish the year driving a Mercedes.
- Russell: Caused an accident after getting scared by Bottas, and then blamed the Finnish in a pretty rude way, blowing the chance of getting a bunch of points. Oh, and indirectly, he gave Hamilton the chance to recover.
- Mazepin: Almost one minute behind his own teammate, and (of course) spinning at the end of the race. And it's a big improvement over his debut race. :facepalm:

Dishonable mentions:
- Perez: Most of his screen time showed him spinning or driving out of the track. Sad Sunday after his excellent qualifying.
- Tsunoda: Disappointing weekend with several big mistakes.
- F1 Gods: Seriously, what are the chances that right after making a silly mistake that would have otherwise ruined his race, a red flag situation happens so he could unlap himself and have way enough time to climb up to second place? Oh, and don't forget the broken nose after the first chicane fight with Verstappen. Luckiest driver on the grid.
CaptainGetz12
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by CaptainGetz12 »

Too many to count, so I'll just say:

1) Everyone but Ocon and the Mclarens. Aside from them no one really felt in their element today, not even Max.
Klon wrote:What did poor André do to you for him to be insulted like that?
Hermann95
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Hermann95 »

1) Valterri Bottas: The crash was not his fault, but it was his fault to even be in that position. His pace was awful all weekend.

2) Sergio Perez: It was a race to forget for him. Too many mistakes and not enough pace.

Dishonourable mentions:
Mick Schumacher: for putting it into the wall under the SC
Nikita Mazepin: for finishing more than one minute behind his teammate and for beeing himself
Aston Martin(except Stroll): again technical difficulties; ruining Vettels race more than once; thinking the FIA will change the rules mid-season to help them; Vettel still of the pace
Miguel98

Post by Miguel98 »

I honestly do think there a couple of candidates this week, but I think two particularly stood out:

1. George Russell - Honestly, I wasn't considering giving Russell ROTR nomination given the crash was mostly a racing incident. But his reaction to the crash has given me enough justification to put him atop this list, and here's my justification for it:

While Russell did drive a good race up until this point, I fail to realize how he could not see that Bottas didn't do any significant movement that caused him to crash. Russell had DRS open and he touched the (wet) grass, and he became an instant passenger. I know that inside the car it's possible that Bottas moved an inch or two and that was enough to hassle Russell - that's honestly the only explanation I can think for his reaction.

And the thing is, that while his reaction could have been justified on the spot, with the adrenaline rush, the fact that Russell double down on blaming Bottas was not particularly... a good attitude. I like George, but his whole attitude after the crash revealed a whole lot of hidden frustration. Toto Wolff himself did notice this, and he did quite a bit of burying of George in the press. Russell wasted potential points again with his mistake, but I think his attitude after the crash was truly rejectworthy - Mazepin is supposed to do this, not you George.

2. Sérgio Pérez and Valtteri Bottas - Going to give out this shared between the number two's of the top two teams, as I think both deserve a mention, for different reasons.

While Pérez did start the weekend quite nicely, and he did beat Verstappen in qualifying (something that hadn't happened since Ricciardo's day at RBR), his race was really troublesome, sadly. I expected him to finish in the top four even with the rain, and while he did run there, his SC shenanigans were truly :facepalm: and then binning it on your own in the corner Albon spinned last year wasn't particularly a good display. No points while your team-mate won is not a good show mate, sorry.

And Bottas, well... Qualifying in 8th place was a terrible performance, and I don't fully buy the excuses given by Mercedes about tyre temperatures causing Bottas' to struggle for rear grip. He was .4 off Hamilton overall, which isn't totally unlike his gap at previous rounds. But if his struggle in qualifying were bad, in the race it was even worse. He barely did any progress during the opening stint, and by the time he crashed with Russell, he had been re-overtaken by Stroll (running a fairly damaged car) and was about to be overtaken by a Williams on pure pace. Bottas 4.0? Don't know about that.

Now, into the proper honorable mentions:
Haas - I wanted to nominate Mick only for crashing under the SC, as I do think that would be an instant ROTR. Problem was, he finished a full minute ahead of Mazepin and beside the SC crash, he ran a quite decent race. So, I'll just put Haas here, as I do think that both drivers deserve it for different reasons.

Williams - Gets both cars into Q2 and then both cars retire by mistakes of their drivers into creating gaps that didn't really exist or closing ones that did.

Yuki Tsunoda - His first half of the race was rather decent, but his second half of the race was quite bad. That lame spin in the restart cost him a chance at points and he never recovered. Imola does bite rookies, doesn't it?

Lewis Hamilton - Can't remember many Hamilton silly mistakes in the last four years, but that one was proper silly. Fortunetelly for him, the racing gods continue to be by his side. But for how long?
Mario on Gutierrez after the Italian Grand Prix wrote:He's no longer just a bit of a tool, he's the entire tool set.

18-07-2015: Forever in our hearts Jules.
25-08-2015: Forever in our hearts Justin.
girry

Post by girry »

Lewis Hamilton seems to be getting away completely without a nomination, so I'll give him one (even if others might really deserve it even more, for the ROTR battle here at Imola had an unprecentedly high standards -- remembering all the 4 seconds a lap slower than team-mate merchants, warm-up lap spinners, safety car queue shenanigans and whatnot; it says a lot that even a simple Mazepin performance with one spin and a finish a minute off his team-mate barely breaks into the top 10 :chilton:).

Yes, we know he was again class of the field pace wise, with only a couple of guys holding a candle to his wet weather pace again. But the thing is that effectively, we all know the title will go down in a battle between Max and him. It's a mano-a-mano battle. So to crash out at Tosa and wreck your front wing while directly battling your championship rival, is effectively a mental lapse similar to what Vettel had at Hockenheim 2018. Which hasn't been forgotten by anybody.

Yeah, Lewis did a good job getting it back moving -- but his car was heavily damaged so under normal circumstances, it would have had the same repercussions as Vettel breaking under the pressure of the title fight had in 2018, too. This crash, too, would have been remembered by *everybody* -- if not for an incredible stroke of luck befalling upon him the very next lap. The red flag saved him from a likely score of very low points: all he had to do after the red flag was to use his superior engine and over-powered DRS, pick out the slower drivers one by one and collect back his championship lead. And bam, now nobody remembers the mistake he did.

Lewis does make much of his own luck, but sometimes it's too much really...
when you're dead people start listening
Batty

Post by Batty »

1. Mick Schumacher - Crashes and closes the pit lane and can't get back into the pits until it is opened. Finally when it is opened, the SC ends. Reject worthy!!!

2. Sergio Perez - A lot of hype going into the race after qualifying. Spins under the SC, overtakes under the SC, gets a penalty and spins a couple more times.
Frogfoot9013

Post by Frogfoot9013 »

Not going to explain these reasons since earlier posts already cover the same points but my ROTR nominations are as follows:

1. Mick Schumacher

2. George Russell

3. Sergio Pérez and Valtteri Bottas
James Hunt, commentating on the 1991 German Grand Prix wrote:The Benettons looking very smart together on the track, mostly because they're both going so slowly.
UncreativeUsername37

Post by UncreativeUsername37 »

Equal nominations for:
George Russell, for throwing away his annual chance at a Williams point again
Valtteri Bottas, for having to battle a Williams when he was in a Mercedes
Rob Dylan wrote:Mercedes paying homage to the other W12 chassis by breaking down 30 minutes in
takagi_for_the_win

Post by takagi_for_the_win »

I get the impression that this mightn't be the popular choice, but I'm going for Mick Schumacher. Yeah, he beat Mazepin, but on the strength of the current evidence we as a forum would give Mazepin a good run for his money. No real merit in that. I always felt the spirit of ROTR was something a little bit comically shite, a lá Alex Wurz's limp-wristed move at Magny-Cours 2000, and Schumacher's crash was certainly comically shite. He spun under the safety car. Not only that, but his spin took place on the pit straight. Not only that, but in crashing into the pitwall, he lost his front wing. Not only that, but due to the position of his stricken front wing, race control had to close the pit-lane, meaning Mick had to trundle around sans front wing for two laps.

Yeah, I know Bottas was shite, Perez seem determined to fling his car off track at all times, ditto Sainz, Aston Martin had a horror show, Toro Rosso appeared contractually bound to keep the wets on Gasly despite all evidence pointing towards inters, Hamilton was a wally, and Russell not only bathplug up again but doubled down on his bathplug, but we all know that Jenoch would've loved the Mick Schumacher thing. And rightly so.
TORA! TORA! TORA!
Aerond
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Aerond »

1.- Perez: Sloppy, sloppy, sloppy

2.- Bottas: Slow, slow, slow
Tread lightly in ARWS. Every decision might be your last.
yannicksamlad
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by yannicksamlad »

It was tricky out there, and I like to see drivers on the edge of adhesion, and thereby going over the limit occasionally. In contrast to tyre saving and lift and coast. So I'll forgive the spins.

But I won't forgive the reject ' unlap' rule.
Why not let the Haas unlap themselves twice, if Lewis can get one lap back, why not give Mick 2 laps..etc? Liberty probably want a reverse grid restart.
It's a stupid rule. Logically, what was Lewis lap time on that missing lap? Was it the fastest lap of the race. Can you get a point for that?
I started supporting Emmo in 1976 (3 points )....missed 75, 74, 73, 72...
mario

Post by mario »

Miguel98 wrote:I honestly do think there a couple of candidates this week, but I think two particularly stood out:

1. George Russell - Honestly, I wasn't considering giving Russell ROTR nomination given the crash was mostly a racing incident. But his reaction to the crash has given me enough justification to put him atop this list, and here's my justification for it:

While Russell did drive a good race up until this point, I fail to realize how he could not see that Bottas didn't do any significant movement that caused him to crash. Russell had DRS open and he touched the (wet) grass, and he became an instant passenger. I know that inside the car it's possible that Bottas moved an inch or two and that was enough to hassle Russell - that's honestly the only explanation I can think for his reaction.

And the thing is, that while his reaction could have been justified on the spot, with the adrenaline rush, the fact that Russell double down on blaming Bottas was not particularly... a good attitude. I like George, but his whole attitude after the crash revealed a whole lot of hidden frustration. Toto Wolff himself did notice this, and he did quite a bit of burying of George in the press. Russell wasted potential points again with his mistake, but I think his attitude after the crash was truly rejectworthy - Mazepin is supposed to do this, not you George.

It feels a lot like a case of Russell wanting to get the media to pitch in on his side, and thus throwing his weight around to get his side out first and to then keep hammering the point home.

I agree that his reaction really wasn't edifying, particularly his claim that Bottas defended more aggressively because he fears that Russell could take his seat next year. It was cringeworthy when compared to his normal persona, and I suspect Wolff didn't like the way that Russell gave the impression that he thinks he has a seat bought and paid for at Mercedes and can act as he wants towards him.

However, to some extent Russell's behaviour seems to have worked, as there is a section that is vociferously backing him and rather viciously attacking Bottas.

yannicksamlad wrote:It was tricky out there, and I like to see drivers on the edge of adhesion, and thereby going over the limit occasionally. In contrast to tyre saving and lift and coast. So I'll forgive the spins.

But I won't forgive the reject ' unlap' rule.
Why not let the Haas unlap themselves twice, if Lewis can get one lap back, why not give Mick 2 laps..etc? Liberty probably want a reverse grid restart.
It's a stupid rule. Logically, what was Lewis lap time on that missing lap? Was it the fastest lap of the race. Can you get a point for that?

I must admit this is one complaint that I do find rather odd, as at both Monza and Mugello last year, we also had drivers who were allowed to unlap themselves under the same rule in both races.

In the case of Mugello, it gave those drivers near the back of the pack an additional advantage on the restart as they were able to maintain higher tyre temperatures. Why was it that the restart procedure was considered fine for those races?
Martin Brundle, on watching a replay of Grosjean spinning:
"The problem with Grosjean is that he want to take a look back at the corner he's just exited"
Vassago

Post by Vassago »

1. George Russell - when alleged future boss Toto Wolff calls your explanation 'bullshit' it's a slam dunk. Promptly followed by a social media apology I bet would have never been issued if not for Wolff's negative response to begin with. Three years in that Williams car and GR is still learning? Nope, Mercedes can't wait that long for Russell to finally get it right.

2. Sergio Perez - Was Alexander Albon back in the car?

3. Imola pit straight camera - C'mon, I know there are trees and the pit straight isn't really that straight but to miss on a proper shot of Bottas/Russell crash? That's lame.
95 GP / 63 DNF / 5 pts
CaptainGetz12
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by CaptainGetz12 »

takagi_for_the_win wrote:I get the impression that this mightn't be the popular choice, but I'm going for Mick Schumacher. Yeah, he beat Mazepin, but on the strength of the current evidence we as a forum would give Mazepin a good run for his money. No real merit in that. I always felt the spirit of ROTR was something a little bit comically shite, a lá Alex Wurz's limp-wristed move at Magny-Cours 2000, and Schumacher's crash was certainly comically shite. He spun under the safety car. Not only that, but his spin took place on the pit straight. Not only that, but in crashing into the pitwall, he lost his front wing. Not only that, but due to the position of his stricken front wing, race control had to close the pit-lane, meaning Mick had to trundle around sans front wing for two laps.

Yeah, I know Bottas was shite, Perez seem determined to fling his car off track at all times, ditto Sainz, Aston Martin had a horror show, Toro Rosso appeared contractually bound to keep the wets on Gasly despite all evidence pointing towards inters, Hamilton was a wally, and Russell not only bathplug up again but doubled down on his bathplug, but we all know that Jenoch would've loved the Mick Schumacher thing. And rightly so.

Can we pin this somewhere? I feel we as a forum may have lost the plot a bit.
Klon wrote:What did poor André do to you for him to be insulted like that?
CarloSpace
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by CarloSpace »

takagi_for_the_win wrote:I get the impression that this mightn't be the popular choice, but I'm going for Mick Schumacher. Yeah, he beat Mazepin, but on the strength of the current evidence we as a forum would give Mazepin a good run for his money. No real merit in that. I always felt the spirit of ROTR was something a little bit comically shite, a lá Alex Wurz's limp-wristed move at Magny-Cours 2000, and Schumacher's crash was certainly comically shite. He spun under the safety car. Not only that, but his spin took place on the pit straight. Not only that, but in crashing into the pitwall, he lost his front wing. Not only that, but due to the position of his stricken front wing, race control had to close the pit-lane, meaning Mick had to trundle around sans front wing for two laps.

I can get behind this one. For me, rejectfulness (rejectness?) isn't just about being terrible but also doing something unexpectedly terrible and bonus points if there is a funny side to it. Mick crashing at the pit exit and subsequently denying himself the chance to repair the car he himself destroyed was imo the true reject moment of the race.
Rob Dylan

Post by Rob Dylan »

All good candiates, but I'm personally in the Mick camp as well.
Murray Walker at the 1997 Austrian Grand Prix wrote:The other [Stewart] driver, who nobody's been paying attention to, because he's disappointing, is Jan Magnussen.
Felipe Nasr - the least forgettable F1 driver!