Miami Vice, F1 Style

The place for speaking your mind on current goings-on in F1
Londoner

Miami Vice, F1 Style

Post by Londoner »

After years and years of discussions, protests and false dawns, Formula One's coming to Florida from 2022 onwards!

Not sure about the track layout though, it looks like COTA and Portland International Raceway were put in a blender...

Fetzie on Ferrari wrote:How does a driver hurtling around a race track while they're sous-viding in their overalls have a better understanding of the race than a team of strategy engineers in an air-conditioned room?l
Rob Dylan

Re: Miami Vice, F1 Style

Post by Rob Dylan »

Although it's the wrong way round, turns 11-10-9 look a lot like Long Beach to me. :shock:

I also find it funny that after 10 years of promising "A New York F1 race that even goes over the Brooklyn Bridge" the second F1 race will actually be in Miami :D
Murray Walker at the 1997 Austrian Grand Prix wrote:The other [Stewart] driver, who nobody's been paying attention to, because he's disappointing, is Jan Magnussen.
Felipe Nasr - the least forgettable F1 driver!
dinizintheoven

Post by dinizintheoven »

Point 1: it looks like a mangled Interlagos, though presumably flatter.

Point 2: they're thinking of holding the race in "April, May or June". That's right: IN FLORIDA, IN JUNE. (Potentially). What next, moving the Russian Grand Prix to Murmansk in January?
James Allen, on his favourite F1 engine of all time:
"...the Life W12, I can't describe the noise to you, but imagine filling your dustbin with nuts and bolts, and then throwing it down the stairs, it was something akin to that!"
Rob Dylan

Post by Rob Dylan »

dinizintheoven wrote:Point 2: they're thinking of holding the race in "April, May or June". That's right: IN FLORIDA, IN JUNE. (Potentially). What next, moving the Russian Grand Prix to Murmansk in January?
You're saying this like it's a bad thing! :twisted:
Murray Walker at the 1997 Austrian Grand Prix wrote:The other [Stewart] driver, who nobody's been paying attention to, because he's disappointing, is Jan Magnussen.
Felipe Nasr - the least forgettable F1 driver!
mario

Post by mario »

dinizintheoven wrote:Point 1: it looks like a mangled Interlagos, though presumably flatter.

Point 2: they're thinking of holding the race in "April, May or June". That's right: IN FLORIDA, IN JUNE. (Potentially). What next, moving the Russian Grand Prix to Murmansk in January?

With regards to your first point, I think more are comparing it to an unholy union of Sochi and Mexico...
Martin Brundle, on watching a replay of Grosjean spinning:
"The problem with Grosjean is that he want to take a look back at the corner he's just exited"
Yannick

Post by Yannick »

That layout looks pretty good. Exciting in fact. It's been decades since I last said that about a new layout for F1.
It could do without the Turn 14/15 chicane, though, because it doesn't seem to serve any purpose. You certainly don't need it to slow cars down because they are already slow in that section of the track.
Looks like the circuit has 3 distinct overtaking opportunities. The track layout alone makes me look forward to this event.

Maybe, they can make a deal with IndyCar to run on the Saturday after qualifying? That would be a great combination.
"I don't think we should be used to finance (the manufacturers') R&D because they will produce that engine anyway" said Monisha Kaltenborn.
"You will never see a Mercedes using a Ferrari engine or the other way round."