IIDOTR - Italy 2021 (POLL)

The place for speaking your mind on current goings-on in F1

Pick your Infinite Improbability Drive of the Race!

Poll ended at 17 Sep 2021, 11:28

George Russell
4%
Halo
8%
McLaren + Daniel Ricciardo + Lando Norris
81%
Valtteri Bottas
8%

Total votes: 26

Londoner

IIDOTR - Italy 2021 (POLL)

Post by Londoner »

1. McLaren. The win drought is finally over, and the best part is they that totally earned it on merit. Incredible performance from Woking.

2. The Halo. Quite possibly saved Hamilton's life.
Fetzie on Ferrari wrote:How does a driver hurtling around a race track while they're sous-viding in their overalls have a better understanding of the race than a team of strategy engineers in an air-conditioned room?l
Enforcer
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: Infinite Improbability Drive of the Race - Italy 2021

Post by Enforcer »

McLaren.

Don't even bother running the poll.
Ducktanian

Post by Ducktanian »

Danny Ric - What a turnaround from the first half of the season.
Murray Walker: "A lot of people here are really debating whether Ricardo Rosset is Formula 1 material"
Martin Brundle: "Well, it's a fairly short debate, Murray".
You-Gee-Eee-Day

Post by You-Gee-Eee-Day »

McLaren
:dance: :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance:

Russel normally we would be screaming about a Russel points finish
:deletraz:

F1 2019 in a nutshell:
Roses are Red
Violets are Blue
"Ferrari is faster"
Mercedes 1-2
Cynon

Post by Cynon »

Bottas -- Burn from the stern was legit.

Williams -- Had promising race pace, even accounting for the retirements.

McLaren's pace wasn't really an improbability, more of an inevitability.
Check out the TM Master Cup Series on Youtube...
...or check out my random retro IndyCar clips.

Dr. Helmut Marko wrote: Finally we have an Australian in the team who can start a race well and challenge Vettel.
IceG

Post by IceG »

McLaren
RAK

Post by RAK »

1) McLaren, but particularly Daniel Ricciardo: Kind of helped by Verstappen and Hamilton turfing each other off, but legitimately maintaining the pace in the face of a strong charge by Bottas. Ricciardo finally showing the sort of pace he's capable of.

2) Valterri Bottas: After the ignominy of being told to give up the fastest lap last week, Bottas managed the sprint race victory on pace and a podium despite coming from the back.

Honourable Mention: George Russell - Another point-scoring result, ticking them up before his move to Mercedes.
Predicament Predictions Champion, 2011, 2018, 2019

They weren't the world's most competent team,
In fact, to be believed, their results must be seen,
Lola,
M-Mastercard Lola,
L, O, L, A, Lola!
rachel1990

Post by rachel1990 »

1. Mclaren. What a result for f1 and for the team. Never expected that this weekend.

2. Halo. Jesus in slow mo that was scary. That is why it was introduced. In the last 12 months it has defo saved two lives and possibly even more.

Hm- Bottas. Yes he could have won but usually he can't overtake or do anything. From 18th to third isn't a bad achievement..
Hm- the race. I didn't think last year could be topped. I was wrong.
Benetton of 1992. Never a reject
This Could Be You

Post by This Could Be You »

1. Daniel Ricciardo: A faultless drive after an otherwise trying season so far, and one of his best ever wins (up there with Monaco '18)
2. Mclaren: with Norris' runner up position, the team also performed to its fullest and earned that 1-2 on merit.
HM:
Bottas: a 16 place gain on a track he's had issues with isn't bad going
The on-track spectacle: quite a lot of decent battling and a proper title rival collision to boot; far better than expected after a tepid sprint race
the Halo: that could've been very nasty for Hamilton there otherwise
Your Signature Here

Named after HRT, now on HRT
Butterfox
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Butterfox »

Ricciardo and McLaren being the obvious ones. Honourable mentions to the Halo, Bottas and Williams.
I don't know what i want and i want it now!
Meatwad

Post by Meatwad »

McLaren for getting the 1-2, and even without the crash, they were looking at a possible win and double podium.

Honorable mention to Russell for scoring points!
Alextrax52

Post by Alextrax52 »

Daniel Ricciardo: Wow I didn’t expect this. The criticism he’s had has at times been merited and at times been harsh but he was sensational this weekend. The best part is he was leading the race on merit even before the title protagonists knocked each other out and people will forget that sadly. IMO this win was better than any of the 7 he had at Red Bull

McLaren as a whole: Their pace all weekend suggests this shouldn’t be a surprise but after the disaster of Holland did we expect them to do this?. A first win since Brazil 2012 and a first 1-2 since Canada 2010. More importantly their back in 3rd overall

Valterri Bottas: Yes ok the Mercedes was the clear fastest car this weekend but we’ve seen Bottas completely throw the towel in whenever he gets stuck in the midfield. Not today though.

George Russell: Points for Williams once again showing Giovanazzi and Alfa how it’s done. Also the first for him in a Williams when the race has been completely dry
Har1MAS1415

Post by Har1MAS1415 »

1. Valtteri Bottas
2. The McLaren drivers
3. George Russell
koshiro

Post by koshiro »

McLaren: The only team this season to achieve a 1-2. Well deserved.

Bottas: It's ironic that just after losing his seat for next year at Mercedes, he achieves one of his most solid performances in recent times. P1 at qualy, sprint race win and going from P20 to a podium finish; for once he performed as he was supposed to do with that car.
dinizintheoven

Post by dinizintheoven »

Seeing as this is a slam-dunk that even Michael Jordan in his prime would have to admire, my nomination will be:

The Pauli Exclusion Principle - because, without it, and Lewis and Max being able to occupy the same space at the same time, they'd have eventually streaked off into the distance, unharmed, and given us a dull race. But they can't occupy the same space at the same time, and it was Silverstone (1995) all over again. I wonder what Johnny Herbert makes of it?

An honourable mention goes to Jean-Louis Schlesser, who turned 73 today. Lest we forget what influence he had at Monza in 1988...
James Allen, on his favourite F1 engine of all time:
"...the Life W12, I can't describe the noise to you, but imagine filling your dustbin with nuts and bolts, and then throwing it down the stairs, it was something akin to that!"
eagleash

Post by eagleash »

Ricciardo, Norris, Bottas; not necessarily in that order.
DemocalypseNow wrote: when eagleash of all people says you've gone too far about something you just know that's when to apply the brakes and do a U-turn.
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

McLaren for scoring a 1-2 before Mercedes or Red Bull do this year, in September at Monza...

Bottas, for showing it's possible to fight through the field.

The halo, for obvious reasons.

Mr Russell.
watka wrote:I find it amusing that whilst you're one of the more openly Christian guys here, you are still first and foremost associated with an eye for the ladies!
dinizintheoven wrote:GOOD CHRISTIANS do not go to jail. EVERYONE ON FORMULA ONE REJECTS should be in jail.
MCard LOLA
Rob Dylan

Post by Rob Dylan »

What a feelgood race that was today. Knowing Hamilton was safe, we had six dudes capable of winning: both McLarens, both Ferraris, Pérez and Bottas. Almost all of them would have been worthy winners (bar Pérez for his inexplicable bout of poor sportsmanship all wekeend).

Ricciardo winning was certainly improbable. It must be the most improbable thing to happen all year. Because he's been dreadful. Remember how he got out of the car after Hungary was over? It took him a minute. Somehow something has changed and he's managed to get a hold of himself. What a feelgood win that was. It still makes me smile to think of it.

The other dude who made me genuinely smile in spite of myself was Bottas. It seemed like the pressure was off him now. The crushing weight of Mercedes and James and all the other bullcrap that has clearly just robotised him over the years seems to be lifting off of him. He was fantastically dominant in the sprint, and came to a podium from last on the grid. Unbelievable pace from a driver we all thought was totally washed up after Turkey last year.

Valtteri Bottas is probably the only person I imagine who was more determined today to win that Ricciardo was. I think, if Bottas had started at the front as he should have for winning the sprint, that he would have dominated all of Sunday today.
Murray Walker at the 1997 Austrian Grand Prix wrote:The other [Stewart] driver, who nobody's been paying attention to, because he's disappointing, is Jan Magnussen.
Felipe Nasr - the least forgettable F1 driver!
UncreativeUsername37

Post by UncreativeUsername37 »

Rob Dylan wrote:Mercedes paying homage to the other W12 chassis by breaking down 30 minutes in
Batty

Post by Batty »

It's McLaren.

Maybe Daniel but probably go with McLaren.
IceG

Post by IceG »

Just noticed that Robert Kubica is in 20th place in the Driver's WC ahead of thumbhead Mazepin :D
Fetzie

Post by Fetzie »

1. Daniel Ricciardo and McLaren, for getting the first 1-2 of the season out of the blue.

2. Valtteri Bottas, because I was expecting him to maybe get to 9th. Or not, given how that car is unable to overtake a snail most of the time.
Francis23

Post by Francis23 »

1. The Halo
2. McLaren

HM: Bottas, great recovery drive
HM: Russell, points again!
Rob Dylan

Re: IIDOTR - Italy 2021 (POLL)

Post by Rob Dylan »

Four nice and easy options to choose from. Quite a uniform set of nominations all-round, so it will be interesting to see who wins. I think I can guess who it will be, however :vergne:

Vote using the poll at the top of this thread :dance:
Murray Walker at the 1997 Austrian Grand Prix wrote:The other [Stewart] driver, who nobody's been paying attention to, because he's disappointing, is Jan Magnussen.
Felipe Nasr - the least forgettable F1 driver!
Londoner

Re: IIDOTR - Italy 2021 (POLL)

Post by Londoner »

The destination of Italy's IIDOTR award has been determined, find out right here!
Fetzie on Ferrari wrote:How does a driver hurtling around a race track while they're sous-viding in their overalls have a better understanding of the race than a team of strategy engineers in an air-conditioned room?l