Alt-Mario Kart 1992: It Begins...

The place for non-canon series, including all series that contain minimal or no references at all to the RWRS universe
Rob Dylan

Alt-Mario Kart 1992: It Begins...

Post by Rob Dylan »

The year is 1992. The Mushroom Kingdom has been at peace for five years. All motor racing in the country was halted during wartime, and now in the post-war environment a wide range of figures have come together to set up a permanent, national racing series in the kingdom.

Viewers of the present day will look back on these early years of racing as another time entirely. Only eight entrants, all of very bourgeois heritage. Most fought in the war, some on opposing sides, but all hungry for that grand prize. To avoid an immediate cost escalation, a standard pipe-frame kart was issued to all the entrants at an equal level, to be worked on privately. We look back on the early years of the series as rather primitive, but what a time to be a racer in the Mushroom Kingdom!

Welcome to the first season of Mario Kart.

Full list of entries
All drivers start with a spec SMK/92, modified at their pleasure.

#2 Mario Mario: consort to the princess Peach Toadstool, war hero. Age: 28. Driving for Scuderia Mario in the SM50A (SMK/93)
#3 Luigi Mario: brother of Mario Mario. Was a coward conscientious objector during the War. Age: 24. Driving for Équipe Luigier in the Luigier LD01 (SMK/92)
#4 Princess Peach Toadstool: a member of the royal Toadstool bloodline. Engaged to Mario Mario. Age: 27. Driving for Peachific in the De Toadmaso (SMK/92)
#5 Kinopio Toad: a member of the servant class of Toads, and in the keeping of Peach. Age: 21. Driving for 1-UP Racing Team in the TD-W12 (SMK/92)
#6 Yoshi: a warrior from an ancient house serving as bodyguards to the Toadstools. Age: 30. Driving for Yoshimura Kartabusa in the Mitsuyoshi Mk. I (SMK/92)
#7 King Bowser Koopa: No relation to the Toadstool bloodline. Fought against the Mushroom Kingdom during the War. King of the Koopas. Age: 38. Driving for Bowser MotorWorks in the B.M.W. E92 (SMK/92)
#8 Donkey Kong Jr.: son of famous barrel businessman Donkey "Cranky" Kong. His son, also named Donkey Kong, will one day race in Alt-Mario Kart. Age: 42. Driving for D&K Fabrications in the DKC-01 (SMK/92)
#9 Koopa Troopa: like Yoshi, a member of the warrior class. Fought for the Koopa bloodline. Age 35. Driving for PowerStar Koopra Racing in the Koopra KR1 (SMK/92)

1992 Calendar:

Mushroom Cup (Rounds 1-4)
1. Mario International Circuit (Inner Layout)
2. Ghost Valley (Speedway Edition) :flag_boo:
3. Bowser's Castle (Grand Prix Circuit) :flag_ko:
4. Donut Plains (Outer Loop)

Flower Cup (Rounds 5-8)
5. Ghost Valley (National Circuit) :flag_boo:
6. Choco Island (Outer Loop) :flag_choc:
7. Donut Plains (Sprint Circuit)
8. Mario Circuit (Endurance Circuit)

Star Cup (Rounds 9-12)
9. Bowser's Castle (International Circuit) :flag_ko:
10. Mario Circuit (National Circuit)
11. Koopa Beach (Oval) :flag_ko:
12. Vanilla Lake (Oval) :flag_sno:

Special Cup (Rounds 13-16)
13. Koopa Beach (Olympic Circuit) :flag_ko:
14. Ghost Valley (International Circuit) :flag_boo:
15. Donut Plains (International Circuit)
16. Rainbow Road :flag_sp:

Points are awarded as follows:
1st: 9 points
2nd: 6 points
3rd: 3 points
4th: 1 points
5th and lower: 0 points

Standings and Development news here
Murray Walker at the 1997 Austrian Grand Prix wrote:The other [Stewart] driver, who nobody's been paying attention to, because he's disappointing, is Jan Magnussen.
Felipe Nasr - the least forgettable F1 driver!
Butterfox
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: Alt-Mario Kart 1992: It Begins...

Post by Butterfox »

Being the diva i am, i choose Princess Peach Toadstool
I don't know what i want and i want it now!
You-Gee-Eee-Day

Post by You-Gee-Eee-Day »

I feel drawn to Toad on a spiritual level, so if I may I'd like to pick Toad. :dance:
:deletraz:

F1 2019 in a nutshell:
Roses are Red
Violets are Blue
"Ferrari is faster"
Mercedes 1-2
Frogfoot9013

Post by Frogfoot9013 »

I shall take Mario Mario.
James Hunt, commentating on the 1991 German Grand Prix wrote:The Benettons looking very smart together on the track, mostly because they're both going so slowly.
This Could Be You

Post by This Could Be You »

I will take Luigi Mario
Your Signature Here

Named after HRT, now on HRT
Frentzen127

Post by Frentzen127 »

I shall be Yoshi
DEPORTIVO CA... pfft hahaha can't say that with a straight face!
Misses Minardi dearly. :(
DigitDan7

Post by DigitDan7 »

I'll pick Koopa Troopa.
Kinnikuniverse

Post by Kinnikuniverse »

D.K! DON-KEY KONG! HE'S THE LEADER OF THE BUNCH!
Hermann95
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Hermann95 »

I'll take King Bowser Koopa
Rob Dylan

Post by Rob Dylan »

Fantastic, great to see such quick enthusiasm for this exclusive series :vergne:

Your next task is simple. Each driver has received a standard pipeframe kart, an SMK/92, all equal in stats. Your job is twofold: you must name your entry, and give your kart an official sounding name.

While the base model of the SMK/92 is identical, how you will upgrade it is up to you*.

*And RNG
Murray Walker at the 1997 Austrian Grand Prix wrote:The other [Stewart] driver, who nobody's been paying attention to, because he's disappointing, is Jan Magnussen.
Frogfoot9013

Post by Frogfoot9013 »

Driver: Mario Mario
Team: Scuderia Mario
Kart: SMK/92 (SM50A)
James Hunt, commentating on the 1991 German Grand Prix wrote:The Benettons looking very smart together on the track, mostly because they're both going so slowly.
Butterfox
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Butterfox »

Driver: Princess Peach Toadstool
Team: Peachific
Kart:(SMK/92) De Toadmaso #FFE5B4.
Last edited by Butterfox on 17 Sep 2021, 23:00, edited 1 time in total.
Hermann95
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Hermann95 »

Driver: King Bowser Koopa
Team: Bowser Motor Works
Kart: B.M.W. E92 (SMK/92)
Last edited by Hermann95 on 17 Sep 2021, 23:59, edited 1 time in total.
Kinnikuniverse

Post by Kinnikuniverse »

Name: Donkard Kong Jr.
Team: D&K Fabrications
Kart: SMK/92 (DKC-01)
Engine: Boogen Kongda BNANA50
Tires: DK Goodrich
Last edited by Kinnikuniverse on 17 Sep 2021, 23:12, edited 3 times in total.
You-Gee-Eee-Day

Rob Dylan wrote:Fantastic, great to see such quick enthusiasm for this exclusive series :vergne:

Your next task is simple. Each driver has received a standard pipeframe kart, an SMK/92, all equal in stats. Your job is twofold: you must name your entry, and give your kart an official sounding name.

While the base model of the SMK/92 is identical, how you will upgrade it is up to you*.

*And RNG

It was a crisp morning in the Mushroom Kingdom. The air felt brisk, it stung the cheeks even as the warmth that followed soothed them. That gentle burn that reminded you the world around you was alive.

The post-war years had been harsh and taxing, and even the victors had been left rebuilding, trying to put lives back together, and remembering those who had lost theirs. Toad had been a close friend of Mario and Luigi ever since they had arrived in the Mushroom Kingdom, meeting them through the Princess. What had been a position of some authority had, until that point, kept him safely behind the lines. He was no coward, but neither had he had a death wish.

Yet that had not afforded him as one may have expected any degree of safety or comfort once the war entered into the stages of its true horror. Rather Toad had been an adjutant to the most important names in the conflict, and as such had spent most of his time close to - if not narrowly avoiding becoming embroiled directly in - the fighting itself. On many occasions Toad had seen death in his peripheral vision, ever standing there, ever looming as the spectre oft did.

It was on those cold, crisp mornings - those mornings that reminded you the world was alive - that he remembered how close he had come to leaving that world. The sound of searing fireballs overhead haunted him. Barbeques and sizzling meat would have him making excuses to find a quiet corner and be alone. Cats hissing scared him more than the worries of his current life ever did.

It had been on crisp mornings like that when he had watched hundreds die as they went over the top. He had seen Toads by the dozen mowed down for... what? They had died so that Monarchs didn't have to negotiate. Neither side willing to back down, and thus the carnage never ended. He had watched the pride, the cream of the Mushroom Kingdom's youth turned into so much spaghetti and lasagne by all manner of weapons of war. Tossed away like spoiled garbanzo beans... all so the people with crowns on their heads could save face.

He had few skills to apply to a post-war labour force. He had never built anything with his stubby Toad hands. He didn't know how to work a machine unless it was operated by a comically oversized and simplistic red button. With the war over Peach no longer needed so many helping hands, which left him as an analog watch in the digital age so to speak.

So when the offer came for those with the connections to do so to enter a Karting championship he saw an opportunity to further exploit his relations. Perhaps he could ride out this lengthy peace, quite literally, in the seat of a kart. Toad was torn, he didn't miss fearing for his life every day, but it had swiftly become apparent that he had no place in this new world. It had been the War to End All Wars, after all.

As he neared the sign-up office, one of the few star-shaped buildings still standing, he waited to be seen. He wasn't a known name. If he had been, he would likely have been ushered to the front of the line.

That was when a known name entered. It was Bowser. He announced his intent to sign up for the race. In that moment, Toad felt the world around him crumble away as the brickwork had. What had so many died for if that man was free to walk in here and take part in recreational Karting tournaments? That man had been responsible for the deaths of millions. His stubbornness, his arrogance had sent millions to an early grave. Yet here he was, free to add a stylized and immodest stamp of his own face to a list of drivers. Bowser barged ahead to the front of the line, signed, and left - leaving a massive Bowser-shaped hole where the door had once been in one of the few unscarred buildings the capital had left.

Toad waited six hours before finally being seen, a bored and unenthused man who had the look of someone who had either seen nothing of the war - or perhaps far too much of it. Toad stared at the sheet before him, and knew that the name of his team had to mean something. There had to be something he could say, or do, to show that there was significance among those who had died. They were not just faceless masses of Fungis. That was when it came to him. The toad across from him didn't even read it as it was filed away. He had no illusions that his paperwork would take far longer to process than even that of the monster who had killed so many of his friends and family. Even so, he hoped that in some small way, it would show that there was more to the toads than just a wide mushroom-patterned hat. Mushrooms had lives. Mushrooms had lost lives. Mushrooms were lives.

Name: Toad "Kinopio" Toadstool
Team: 1-UP Racing Team
Kart: SMK/92 - Name of Kart: TD-W12

F1 2019 in a nutshell:
Roses are Red
Violets are Blue
"Ferrari is faster"
Mercedes 1-2
This Could Be You

Name: Luigi Mario
Team: Equipe Luigier
Kart: Luigier LD01 (rebadged SMK/92)
Your Signature Here

Frentzen127

Post by Frentzen127 »

Driver: Yoshisaur T. Munchakoopas
Team: Yoshimura Kartabusa
Kart: SMK/92 (Mitsuyoshi Mk. I)
Rob Dylan

Post by Rob Dylan »

You-Gee-Eee-Day wrote:He had watched the pride, the cream of the Mushroom Kingdom's youth turned into so much spaghetti and lasagne by all manner of weapons of war. Tossed away like spoiled garbanzo beans...
This brings a whole new meaning to his experience of Luigi's Mansion in 2001. All he could see around him was darkness and ghosts of his fallen comrades.
You-Gee-Eee-Day

Rob Dylan wrote:
You-Gee-Eee-Day wrote:He had watched the pride, the cream of the Mushroom Kingdom's youth turned into so much spaghetti and lasagne by all manner of weapons of war. Tossed away like spoiled garbanzo beans...
This brings a whole new meaning to his experience of Luigi's Mansion in 2001. All he could see around him was darkness and ghosts of his fallen comrades.

In many ways Luigi's Mansion is an analogy showing how even the men who come back from war in some ways never do.

F1 2019 in a nutshell:
Roses are Red
Violets are Blue
"Ferrari is faster"
Mercedes 1-2
UncreativeUsername37

Post by UncreativeUsername37 »

We have our post of the year....
Rob Dylan wrote:Mercedes paying homage to the other W12 chassis by breaking down 30 minutes in
Rob Dylan

Post by Rob Dylan »

Ok, as you can see, I'm kind of drip-feeding you this series while I slowly but surely get the LTF files and things ready. It will take a while, but once it's done the season can get underway as planned.

As this is the first season, I'm assigning you all numbers in order. There is no champion of course, so you will start at #2. That honour of course goes to Mario. The order is as follows:

#2: Mario Mario, driving for Scuderia Mario in the SM50A (SMK/92)
#3: Luigi Mario, driving for Equipe Luigier in the Luigier LD01 (SMK/92)
#4: Princess Peach Toadstool, driving for Peachific in the De Toadmaso (SMK/92)
#5: Toad "Kinopio" Toadstool, driving for 1-UP Racing Team in the TD-W12 (SMK/92)
#6: Yoshisaur T. Munchakoopas, driving for Yoshimura Kartabusa in the Mitsuyoshi Mk. I (SMK/92)
#7: King Bowser Koopa, driving for Bowser MotorWorks in the B.M.W. E92 (SMK/92)
#8: Donkard Kong Jr., driving for D&K Fabrications in the DKC-01 (SMK/92)
#9: Kooper "Koopa" Troopa, driving for PowerStar Koopra Racing in the Koopra KR1 (SMK/92)

Tomorrow I'll organise the official 1992 calendar and in a few days I'll unveil the points system :)
DigitDan7

Post by DigitDan7 »

Driver: Kooper Troopa
Team: PowerStar Koopra Sport
Kart: SMK/92 (Koopra KR1)
Last edited by DigitDan7 on 25 Sep 2021, 14:25, edited 1 time in total.
Rob Dylan

Post by Rob Dylan »

So, as some of you may know, the Super Mario Kart game has 20 races. Of course, 20 races is far too many, so we're going to cut it down by one race per Cup. After some RNG in the Discord, the 1992 Alt-Mario Kart calendar can be announced.

Mushroom Cup (Rounds 1-4)
1. Mario International Circuit (Inner Layout)
2. Ghost Valley (Speedway Edition) :flag_boo:
3. Bowser's Castle (Grand Prix Circuit) :flag_ko:
4. Donut Plains (Outer Loop)

Flower Cup (Rounds 5-8)
5. Ghost Valley (National Circuit) :flag_boo:
6. Choco Island (Outer Loop) :flag_choc:
7. Donut Plains (Sprint Circuit)
8. Mario Circuit (Endurance Circuit)

Star Cup (Rounds 9-12)
9. Bowser's Castle (International Circuit) :flag_ko:
10. Mario Circuit (National Circuit)
11. Koopa Beach (Oval) :flag_ko:
12. Vanilla Lake (Oval) :flag_sno:

Special Cup (Rounds 13-16)
13. Koopa Beach (Olympic Circuit) :flag_ko:
14. Ghost Valley (International Circuit) :flag_boo:
15. Donut Plains (International Circuit)
16. Rainbow Road :flag_sp:

After much political dick-measuring, the combined forces of Mario and Bowser, the main two figures funding this extravagant series, there were in the end a possible three Bowser's Castle layouts proposed on the original calendar. Mario in his immaturity decided as a response to include four layouts of his namesake circuit as well. In the end, one of each were cut and so we only have five grands prix between the two. In total we have eight grand prix circuits hosting 16 races. The racing fans all around the world are excited by this juicy prospect.
Rob Dylan

Post by Rob Dylan »

So for my next announcement, it's rather simple. It's the points system. The points will be allocated as such:

1st: 9 points
2nd: 6 points
3rd: 3 points
4th: 1 point
5th and below: no points

This means that with a 16-race calendar, you can earn up to a maximum of 144 points in one season. As you can see, finishing on the podium regularly will be absolutely crucial to a good championship campaign.

However, let me explain the Cup system.

The Cup System
So, as you saw earlier on the calendar post, the season is split into four distinct quarters, each with their own name. These are not simply decoration, but are four Cups that make up the season as a whole. Drivers will be wanting to win the Cups as WELL as the season. It is of course very possible that you could win the season without winning any of the Cups, but it is recommended for prize money and development tokens (more on that later).

So basically the season will be operated in four quarters, and the drivers will be recognised not just for their championship victories, but in their success in the individual cups.

Also, when the season starts, I'll compile all these individual pieces of information into the OP post so that everything's there.
Rob Dylan

Post by Rob Dylan »

Basically everything is ready. I'll explain the development process once we actually need to develop.

Current plan is that races 1-4 of 1992 will be run tomorrow! All your drivers have been awarded with permanent (until season end) stats, and the basic kart to enter the season with.

Tomorrow evening European time the Mushroom Cup of 1992 is go!
Rob Dylan

Post by Rob Dylan »

The season has got off to a shaky, crazy start. It's hard to tell after the first four races of the season just who has the edge over everybody else, what with the similarity in quali time and the high retirement rate of all the drivers. In four races all but one driver unrejectified themselves, and that driver also got a pole position!

Standings after the Mushroom Cup

Princess Peach, through good consistency, has won the Mushroom Cup and takes home the first major trophy in Alt-Mario Kart history! While definitely the ongoing Reject of the Qualifying, there is no denying that Bowser's drive on home soil to go from last to first, overtaking six people in one lap, goes down as the IIDOTC. Yoshi and Peach have both had the strongest of stints, with two poles for Yoshi seemingly putting the championship in their hands. However, that has also been down to consistency more than sheer pace - DK Jr binning it from the lead trying to jump the deadly shortcut is a classic example of the poor consistency of these Mario Kart runners who certainly need a little more practice.

The Flower Cup will be run sometime soon. Probably same time next week.
Rob Dylan

Post by Rob Dylan »

Development time!

So. Between every Mario Kart Cup we will have a short development period where our brave drivers work on their karts at the garage. Every week the drivers get an attribute point, and after the Mushroom Cup they've all successfully accumulated 8 attribute points. Peach, who won the first leg of the 1992 championship, received prize money that she can now use to extra attribute points. She has 12 points to spend.

On this handy sheet (which is the same as the one linked on the OP) you can view all your attribute points. You all start with basic SMK/92s which have 1 attribute point for everything.

What YOU need to do is post below, tell me where you want to spend your attribute points. You can spend them on whatever you like, and up to 16 points can be spent during an in-season development phase. (This attribute system may fluctuate between seasons if I think it needs fixing).

Each upgrade costs 1 attribute point, except engines and tyres which, because they're shared between two drivers, take two points to upgrade. You can only spend your OWN development tokens on your OWN fixes. For example, you cannot upgrade someone else's car or half development costs on shared upgrades.

And for the final kick: all upgrades will be RNGd on their success. The higher the upgrade, the lower the likelihood of success.

Upgrading to level 2: 90% success
Upgrading to level 3: 80% success
Upgrading to level 4: 70% success
Upgrading to level 5: 60% success
Upgrading to level 6: 50% success
Upgrading to level 7: 40% success
Upgrading to level 8: 30% success
Upgrading to level 9: 20% success
Upgrading to level 10: 10% success

You DON'T have to spend all your attributes in one single upgrade session. As the Cups are going to be hosted about a week apart, you have plenty of time to try out spending some attributes, and if it doesn't work, spend the rest of them, for example. Of course, please don't waste time 8-)

Final note: the development phase between seasons is longer, so there is a benefit to keeping at least a couple of attribute points aside for later... these SMK/92s don't fix themselves...
Butterfox
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Butterfox »

Yeah just gonna try, Peachific wants to try spending on:
-Setup
-Resources
-Grip
-Tyres

So that would make 5 points if i'm not mistaken.
Hermann95
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Hermann95 »

As discusses with Kinnik on discord, Bowser and DK. Jr will each buy an engine and a tyre upgrade. (please confirm, and only run once confirmed)

Further, Bowser would like to invest into the following categories:
-Aero
-Setup
-Grip
-Reliability

This should be all of Bowser's available upgrade points spent.
Frentzen127

Post by Frentzen127 »

Yoshisaur would like the following:
2x Aero
Grip
Reliability
This Could Be You

Equipe Luigier will purchase Engine and Tyre upgrades in association with Scuderia Mario, as well as our own Setup upgrade, which I believe will cost us 5pts
Your Signature Here

Butterfox
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Butterfox »

Gonna spend the rest too:

-aero
-aero 2
-grip 2
-reliability
-reliability 2
-setup 2
-engine 2 (if confirmed by frentzen127, if not confirmed on time, we'll do it later)
Rob Dylan

Post by Rob Dylan »

The Flower Cup is finished, and here are the standings:

While Donkey Kong Jr. wins the cup, Toad takes a debut win and reaches the halfway mark with a very significant lead. Bowser's horrific inconsistency continues, spinning in almost every race (although his qualifying pace has admittedly improved), and that one win near the start has been his only points finish.

DK Jr, who up until his win was the only reject on the field, suddenly had the turnaround of the season and dominated two races running. Our opening six races had six different winners, and DK Jr becomes the first driver to win two in a row. Peach and DK Jr, despite being on the podium in seven of the eight races between them, haven't shared the podium yet :P

Oh yeah, Yoshi had a really crappy Flower Cup until he took advantage of the chaos at the Mario Circuit Endurance Race to avoid the turn 2 pileup

However, as the red flag was waved at the end of lap 2, we didn't make 75% of the race distance and so have to award half points :deletraz:

That means that development is reopening going into the Star Cup next Tuesday. See you then :dance:

p.s., we also ran a non-championship race on the Bahrain Outer Loop. Yoshi won that too, despite a mid-race scare for speeding in the pitlane.

Rob Dylan

Post by Rob Dylan »

Available attribute points updated. DK Jr gets 12 points for their victory in the Flower Cup, while everyone else gets 8.
Butterfox
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Butterfox »

Well as planned i'll do the engine upgrade. i will also spend 1 reliability and 2 qualifying upgrades.
Hermann95
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Hermann95 »

Bowser will try two upgrades each in Aero, Grip and Setup.
This Could Be You

Luigier will buy four grip upgrades plus a setup upgrade
Your Signature Here

Kinnikuniverse

Post by Kinnikuniverse »

D & K Fabrications will spend the following:

- 1 upgrade on engines and tyres each

-2 tokens on Grip

-2 tokens on aero

-2 token on set up.

-1 on qualifying.
Frogfoot9013

Post by Frogfoot9013 »

Scuderia Mario shall spend:
3 tokens on engine
3 tokens on tyres
4 tokens on aero
You-Gee-Eee-Day

Toad didn't really know what to make of the situation. Despite being on the top of the podium he was still a head shorter than Donkey Kong on the next step down. But there he was -- a Cup winner. Someone handed him a comically large cup, and he blinked into the crowd, not really able to take it all in.

For a moment, a moment that stretched for as long as those long, cold nights had, he was back at the front. The roar of the crowd drifted into the roar of the shells (both red and green) detonating so quickly they became an endless, non-stop growl, like the devil himself reaching up from the bowels of hell, as the shell craters dug ever deeper down and drove them all into the fire. The endless explosions were more than just a roar, they were an inferno. The flames never stopped. They were already burning. The devil had nowhere to go, he was already there.

Face to face with other Toads in secret places, feeling the chill... that felt like only moments ago. Yet here he was, on top of the podium. As a Lakitu lowered down closely in front of him, camera rolling, it suddenly occurred to him that those toads down there weren't just cheering - they were cheering for him. A toad, one of the poor, rotten souls who had been thrown away like so much old spaghetti, had just won a cup.

For the first time, in what felt like a very long time, Toad found a reason to smile.

F1 2019 in a nutshell:
Roses are Red
Violets are Blue
"Ferrari is faster"
Mercedes 1-2