Formula Draft 91 - A new Era of F1 | R&D Phase 1

The place for non-canon series, including all series that contain minimal or no references at all to the RWRS universe
Hermann95
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: Formula Draft 1991 - A new Era of Formula One

Post by Hermann95 »

The Draft

The moment we have all be waiting for is coming closer. The draft is the prime opportunity for every team to get drivers, customer engines, third party chassis and tyres. Please read this post carefully before submitting your picks and ask me if something is unclear.

Submitting the picks

It will be held in four rounds via a Google forms document, where every team has to fill in their desired draft picks for each round as well as their team name. After all picks for a round are submitted, there will be a live Draft Day on Discord where each draft pick for the given round is announced and finalized.

To ensure that your team gets a pick in the given round, you have to fill out a number of spots equal to your draft pick. This means the team picking in 3rd, has to fill out three options while the team in 18th has to fill out eighteen options. Make sure that all your options are different and applicable for your team.

All the draftable options for the entire round are selectable via a dropdown for each question. Putting in the same driver, with two different contract lengths, does not count as two different options. F.e. "Alain Prost, Tier: 1, 1 year" and "Alain Prost, Tier: 1, 3 years" is not a different option.

In case of not submitting enough options for a valid pick, your team's pick will slip down the order until the end of the current draft round. So be careful and put in an extra option if you are unsure.

You can as well submit your picks multiple times, in case you change your mind. Only the latest of your submits will be counted, and each submit has to fulfil all requirements. This means that you can't submit a half filled out form as a correction for your previous pick. Just submit the whole thing again.

Pick options

Drivers

Drivers have the biggest variety of draft choices, from unproven Rookies to World Champions and veteran pay drivers.

Pay drivers and rookies have a fixed contract length, of one and two years respectively. Drivers from the Tiers 1 to 5 can get contracts of up to three years, please choose the option you want in the form.

All the costs for drivers can be found in the spreadsheet or the rules section. Please also keep in mind that pay driver money and race bonuses are only due if the driver makes your teams' entry list for a given weekend.

In case your team want's/needs to sign more drivers after the draft, you'll have the opportunity to do so.

Engines

Each team can only have one engine supply contract at a time, which means that works teams can't draft an engine and teams which already drafted a customer engine can't draft another one.
All customer engine deals only last one season.

Engine prices can be found in the spreadsheet, except for the Ferrari customer engine. This engine costs the average of the top three signed customer engine deals, which will be a maximum of 10.33 m$ for this year's draft.

In case of your team failing to sign an engine in the draft, you'll be able to buy any of the remaining options for their list price after the draft.

Chassis

Only non works teams can draft a chassis. This means that McLaren, Ferrari, Benetton, Ligier and Modena can't draft a chassis. A team which already drafted a chassis is excluded from drafting a second one as well.

The tiers and costs of the available chassis can be found in the chassis list of the spreadsheet. Please keep in mind that if you don't sign a designer after the draft, you won't be able to purchase any upgrades for your chassis.

Every team that doesn't draft a chassis, needs to hire a designer and build their own chassis after the draft.

Tyres

Only one tyre supply contract per team is allowed. Costs can be found in the spreadsheet.

In case of your team failing to sign a tyre supply contract in the draft, you'll be able to buy any of the remaining options for their list price after the draft.

Works Teams

Teams which have a valid works engine deal at the moment, won't be able to draft in the second round. These teams are McLaren, Ferrari, Benetton, Ligier and Modena , but I'll remind you again once we reach the second round.
You are also not allowed to trade away either this or next year's second round pick.

Trades are still open until draft day. You can also offer trades to AI controlled teams, via Discord DM f.e, but they have to be concrete offers. (F.e. Team x(you) offers team y(AI) 1 m$ + next years third round pick for their third round pick this year.)

After all those words, we finally arrived. The start of the draft period for the first round is officially here.
Here is the link to the Form for your first round choices.

Happy drafting everyone.
Feel free to ask me anything that's unclear. There are no stupid questions, just poor wording of the rules on my end.
Rob Dylan

Post by Rob Dylan »

Benetton has made its choice. 16 Nigel Mansells it be.
Murray Walker at the 1997 Austrian Grand Prix wrote:The other [Stewart] driver, who nobody's been paying attention to, because he's disappointing, is Jan Magnussen.
Felipe Nasr - the least forgettable F1 driver!
Dom_Wings

Post by Dom_Wings »

I will take the helm of Williams and lead them to glory.

Oh, also, Frank Williams will stay on.
Join the GPR Discord server! https://discord.com/invite/6YDQ3aV
Collieafc

Post by Collieafc »

I think I have submitted Minardi's bids correctly? Let me know if I havent.
DanielPT wrote:Life usually expires after 400 meters and always before reaching 2 laps or so. In essence, Life is short.
Hermann95
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Hermann95 »

Collieafc wrote:I think I have submitted Minardi's bids correctly? Let me know if I havent.

Everything submitted correctly
Hermann95
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Hermann95 »

First Round Draft Round up

1. Modena: Andrea de Cesaris, Tier: P2, 1 year
2. Jordan: Dallara, Chassis Supplier
3. Coloni: Eric van de Poele, Tier: P2, 1 Year
4. Fondmetal: Lola, Chassis Supplier
5. Brabham (via Scuderia Italia): Alain Prost, Tier: 1, 2 Years
6. AGS: March, Chassis Supplier
7. Minardi: Michael Schumacher, Tier: R, 2 Years
8. Ligier: Jean Alesi, Tier: 4, 2 Years
9. Arrows: Mika Häkkinen, Tier: R, 2 Years
10. Scuderia Italia (via Brabham): Ayrton Senna, Tier: 1, 1 Year
11. Lotus: Simtek, Chassis Supplier
12. Leyton House: Yamaha, Engine Supplier
13. Larrousse: Damon Hill, Tier: R, 2 Years
14. Tyrell: Ilmor, Engine Supplier
15. Williams: Renault, Engine Supplier
16. Benetton: Nigel Mansell, Tier: 2, 3 Years
17. Ferrari: Gerhard Berger, Tier: 2, 3 Years
18. McLaren: Nelson Piquet, Tier: 2, 2 Years

Second round picks
The second draft round is now open. I've updated the Form to reflect the possible choices for the second round.

The form now includes up to which choice you should fill out the answers for your team as well. So you just fill up the form from the first question, up until the question with your team in brackets.

Trades are open again as well.

IMPORTANT: factory teams don't draft in the second round! Modena, Ligier, Benetton, Ferrari and McLaren don't need to fill out the form, or will be ignored if they do so. You can however trade for a pick with another, non factory, team if you wish so.

If we could get this round done in about a week, until next Friday, it would be marvellous.
Happy drafting.
Collieafc

Post by Collieafc »

Is it possible to forfeit the Minardi second draft for the 2m bonus?
EDIT: Never mind, I have submitted picks. Disregard!
DanielPT wrote:Life usually expires after 400 meters and always before reaching 2 laps or so. In essence, Life is short.
DigitDan7

Post by DigitDan7 »

Two quick things I'd like to note:
1) Is it neccesary to have a reserve driver?
2) There's a t missing in my name on the sheet.
Hermann95
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Hermann95 »

DigitDan7 wrote:Two quick things I'd like to note:
1) Is it neccesary to have a reserve driver?
2) There's a t missing in my name on the sheet.

Ad 2) I'm sorry. It should be corrected now.

Ad1) No. Teams can have up to four drivers signed at any given time, but you only need two. In case of an injury, or other circumstances leading to one of the main drivers missing a race, you'll get an opportunity to sign a replacement but have to take what's left.
With a reserve driver signed, you'd at least know what you get, and the driver would already be familiar with the team.
Hermann95
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Hermann95 »

Second Draft Round

Jordan: Judd, engine
Coloni: Fomet, Chassis
Fondmetal: Aguri Suzuki, Japan
Scuderia Italia: Ford HBA 91, engine
AGS: Alex Caffi, Italy
Minardi: Honda 90, engine
Arrows: Judd, engine
Brabham: Ferrari, engine
Lotus: Maurício Gugelmin, Brazil
Leyton House: Alessandro Zanardi, Italy
Larrousse: Eric Bernard, France
Tyrell: Heinz-Harald Frentzen, Germany
Williams: Karl Wendlinger, Austria

Third Draft Round

The rules are basically the same as for the first two rounds. Submit as many picks as needed(indicated by the team name in the form). Every team, except for Brabham, has a pick for this round. Williams even has two picks(please submit twice, with the different amounts of options as indicated).

The draft is scheduled for Friday, the 24th of September. If you fail to submit your picks before that, your team will have to pick last in this round. If you know you can't submit until that day, please let me know, and we'll work something out.

Trades are now open again, until Draft Day.
Here is the link to the Form

Designer Signing

While the draft is still running, we are also starting the Designer Signing phase.
There will be (at least) two classic RNG rounds for designers:
-1st RNG round before the 3rd draft round
-2nd RNG round before the 4th draft round
with designers having a little higher chance of waiting for better/other offers in the first round.
Note: they probably won't be exactly before the draft rounds, as it would be too long of a session. They are probably a day or two in advance.

Every team which want's to upgrade or design a car needs a designer. Each team can only sign one designer, but bid on as many as they wish as backup choices

Designer contracts are 1-year only.

Important: The third party chassis manufacturers(Lola, March, Dallara, Simtek and Fomet) can only be signed by the teams which drafted their respective supply contract and won't be subject to RNG in that case. Those teams can however sign another, or no, designer instead. If they sign none, they can't upgrade their car throughout the season.

Note: Local University Students are not capable of designing a new car. They can only provide small upgrades for an existing chassis.

Just submit your bids here in the forum.

If you have any questions, please ask me here or ping me on discord.
Last edited by Hermann95 on 16 Oct 2021, 19:31, edited 1 time in total.
Butterfox
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Butterfox »

Ligier designer bids:
1 Ross Brawn
2 Rory Byrne
3 Steve Nichols
4 Harvey Postlethwaite
5 Gustav Brunner
6 Robin Herd
I don't know what i want and i want it now!
Klon
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Klon »

Designer bids for Brabham:
1) Ross Brawn
2) Gary Anderson
3) John Barnard
4) Drank Fernie
Last edited by Klon on 22 Sep 2021, 17:46, edited 1 time in total.
Rob Dylan

Post by Rob Dylan »

Benetton have taken a look at the top 8 and have decided that we'll have any of them except Newey. We're willing to raise each offer by a million $.

1. Rory Byrne
2. Patrick Head
3. Neil Oatley
4. Ross Brawn
5. John Barnard
6. Harvey Postlethwaite
7. Steve Nichols
Murray Walker at the 1997 Austrian Grand Prix wrote:The other [Stewart] driver, who nobody's been paying attention to, because he's disappointing, is Jan Magnussen.
Collieafc

Post by Collieafc »

Minardis designers

1. George Ryton
2. Robin Herd
3. Mauro Forghieri
4. Gary Anderson
5. Tim Densham
6. Aldo Cost
DigitDan7

Post by DigitDan7 »

One question regarding designers: for the designers with traits that trigger each upgrade, does it trigger for ANY upgrade or just the related upgrade? (IE, if you have Frank Dernie, do you get +50 reliability for each upgrade [any kind] or each reliability upgrade?)
Hermann95
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Hermann95 »

DigitDan7 wrote:One question regarding designers: for the designers with traits that trigger each upgrade, does it trigger for ANY upgrade or just the related upgrade? (IE, if you have Frank Dernie, do you get +50 reliability for each upgrade [any kind] or each reliability upgrade?)

Any upgrade, unless otherwise stated.
Aislabie

Post by Aislabie »

Larrousse Designer Bids
  1. Aldo Costa
  2. Frank Dernie
  3. Robin Herd
  4. Christian Vanderpleyn
  5. Local University Students
DigitDan7

Post by DigitDan7 »

Leyton House Designer Bids:
1) Frank Dernie
2) Steve Nichols
3) Mauro Forghieri
4) Aldo Costa
5) Gustav Brunner
Frogfoot9013

Post by Frogfoot9013 »

Scuderia Italia's bids:
1. Local University Students

Just so Ayrton Senna do Brasil has to drive a car designed by local university students :deletraz:
James Hunt, commentating on the 1991 German Grand Prix wrote:The Benettons looking very smart together on the track, mostly because they're both going so slowly.
Hermann95
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Hermann95 »

Designer Signing, first round

The following designers were signed:

Rory Byrne -> Benetton (+1m$ of asking price)
Neil Oatley -> Tyrell
Ross Brawn -> Ligier
John Barnard -> Brabham
Mauro Forghieri -> Minardi
Aldo Costa -> Leyton House
Frank Dernie -> Larrousse
Sergio Rinland -> Coloni
Simtek -> Lotus
Local University Students -> Scuderia Italia (Ayrton Senna is furious about this, and is threatening to boycott the season opener or even retire)

Sign up for the second round of Designer RNG is now open. It will most likely take place on Wednesday, the 29th of September
Shawn040217

Post by Shawn040217 »

Team : Jordan
Designer Biddies:
1) Harvey Postlethwaite
2) Gary Anderson
3) Gustav Brunner
4) March
HawkAussie

Post by HawkAussie »

Team: Arrows

1. Tim Denshman
2. Christian Vanderpleyn
3. George Ryton
Officially Retired
Dom_Wings

Re: Formula Draft 91 - A new Era of F1 | Pilot, Dom, GB need

Post by Dom_Wings »

Williams would like to bid on Patrick Head and Adrian Newey, in order of preference.
Hermann95
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: Formula Draft 91 - A new Era of F1 | Pilot, Dom, GB need

Post by Hermann95 »

Designer Bidding

Williams: Patrick Head declines and has now a damaged relationship with Frank Williams.
Williams sign Adrian Newey
Jordan sign Harvey Postlethwaite
Modena sign Christian Vanderpleyn
Fondmetal sign Lola
AGS sign March
Arrows sign Tim Densham

Bidding for McLaren and Ferrari is still open until the end of the 4th draft round. If they fail to make a bid before the deadline, they will get an RNG assisted auto-pick.

Draft Round Four

Modena selects: Gregor Foitek, Tier: P2
Jordan selects: Roberto Moreno, Tier: 5, 1 year
Coloni selects: Gary Brabham, Tier: P2
Fondmetal selects: Jean-Marc Gounon, Tier: P1
Scuderia Italia selects: Pirelli, Tyres
AGS selects: Marco Apicella, Tier P1
Minardi selects: David Brabham, Tier: P2
Ligier selects: Thierry Boutsen, Tier: 4, 2 years
Arrows selects: Naoki Hattori, Tier: P1
Williams, with their first pick of two this round, selects: Riccardo Patrese, Tier: 4, 1 year
Lotus selects: Erik Comas, Tier: R
Leyton House selects: Perry McCarthy, Tier: P2
Larrousse selects: Lamborghini, engine
Tyrell selects: Martin Brundle, Tier: 4, 3 years
Williams, with their second pick this round, selects: Johnny Herbert, Tier: 5, 1 year
Benetton selects: Eddi Irvine, Tier: R
this is a 3 year deal, instead of the regular two, because of Team Principal Flavio Briatore
Ferrari selects: Bruno Giacomelli, Tier: P1
McLaren selects: Goodyear, Tyres

4th Draft Round Open
You know the drill. Just fill in the form until the pick with your team name on. If you have multiple picks this round, please submit the full form for each pick.

Trades are now open again, until Draft Day.
Here is the link to the Form
Hermann95
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: Formula Draft 91 - A new Era of F1 | 4th Draft Round

Post by Hermann95 »

4th Draft Round
Brabham selects: Pedro Chaves, Tier: P2
Jordan selects: Pirelli, Tyres
Coloni selects: Pirelli, Tyres
Fondmetal selects: Goodyear Tyres
Scuderia Italia haven't picked in time. Therefore their pick will be evaluated at the end of the draft
AGS selects: Pirelli, Tyres
Minardi selects: Goodyear, Tyres
Ligier selects: Philippe Alliot, Tier: P1
Arrows selects: Goodyear, Tyres
Scuderia Italia haven't picked their second pick this round either. It will be evaluated at the end.
Lotus selects: Pirelli, Tyres
Leyton House selects: Goodyear, Tyres
Larrousse selects: Goodyear, Tyres
Tyrell selects: Goodyear, Tyres
Brabham selects: Paolo Barilla, Tier: P2
Benetton selects: Pirelli, Tyres
Ferrari and McLaren haven't handed in -> autopick

autopick order:
Scuderia Italia
Scuderia Italia
Ferrari
McLaren

Scuderia Italia need a second driver:
1-25...Tier 5
26-50...Tier P1
51-75...Tier P2
76-100...Rookie
19 Driver available in Tier 5. They choose: 4
Derek Warwick
1 year
As Scuderia Italia have now reached the "minimum runnable" status(signed two drivers, an engine and tyres) they can forfeit their second 4th round pick for 0.5mil$

Ferrari need Tyres. Only Goodyear is still available, so it's an easy choice

McLaren need a second driver:
1-25...Tier 5
26-50...Tier P1
51-75...Tier P2
76-100...Rookie
Only one driver is available in Tier P1: Giani Morbidelli

This concludes the 4th round and the Draft.
Hermann95
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: Formula Draft 91 - A new Era of F1 | Chassis R&D

Post by Hermann95 »

Free Agency

During Free Agency, which runs from now until the final race of the season, teams are able to sign drivers and suppliers which don't have a contract at the moment.

Suppliers need to be paid the stated amount from the sheet, and are only subject to RNG if they are contested by another team. Supplier contracts are only valid for the running season. Drivers will always be subject to RNG.

Teams can sign drivers from the sheet, or any other suitable(final decision by me) driver, by making them an offer. These offers don't have to follow the tier system from the draft, but are subject to certain limitations:
    Maximal contract length is 3 years
    Pay drivers can't bring more than 0.2 mil $ per race(3.2 mil $ for a whole season).
    Pay drivers can only bring money as race bonus
    Payments can only be divided into guaranteed money(which the team pays upfront in any case) and race bonus(which the team/driver pays in case the driver is on the entry list for a race)
    No additional clauses or bonuses are permitted

For driver bids, you can use the following form:

Code: Select all

Team:
Driver:
Contract length:
Pay driver: Yes/No
Guaranteed payment:
Race Bonus:

Jordan needs a second driver. If they fail to sign one in free agency before the start of the season, the autopick will take over.

All teams, which hadn't signed a tyre supplier during the draft, have been assigned Goodyear tyres.
Coloni, Fondmetal, AGS and Lotus all signed Ford DFR 90 engines.

Chassis R&D

Every team, which hasn't drafted a chassis, needs to build a new chassis this season. In future seasons, there will be an option to adapt last year's chassis as well.

Building a chassis is very straightforward, you just look up the tiers on the spreadsheet and pick one. Upgrades won't come into play until the first R&D phase after Round 4.

The actual stats of every chassis will be RNG'd according to the numbers on the spreadsheet, and designer bonuses will be taken into account as well,

You can use the following form:

Code: Select all

Team:
Chassis Tier:

The deadline is the 15th of November, but the first RNG will be held on the 8th.

Timetable

From now on, Formula Draft will enter a weekly schedule. This means that (nearly) every week something will happen, to give the series more continuity. If a team misses a deadline, their decision will be autpicked.
So in the next five weeks we will have:
    Free agency RNG and first Chassis RNG
    another round of FA RNG and Chassis RNG(if needed), some pre-season testing times.
    Races 1-4 and opening of the first R&D phase
    R&D RNG
    Races 5-8 and opening of the second R&D phase
Butterfox
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Butterfox »

Team: Ligier
Chassis Tier: A
I don't know what i want and i want it now!
Rob Dylan

Post by Rob Dylan »

Team: Benetton
Dom_Wings

Post by Dom_Wings »

Team: Williams
HawkAussie

Post by HawkAussie »

Team: Arrows
Chassis Tier: C
Officially Retired
DigitDan7

Post by DigitDan7 »

Team: Leyton House
Chassis Tier: B

Also, is there a reason why I don't have Footwork's sponsor money? I have Yamaha engines.
Hermann95
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Hermann95 »

DigitDan7 wrote:Also, is there a reason why I don't have Footwork's sponsor money? I have Yamaha engines.

It was a mistake, fixed it.
Collieafc

Post by Collieafc »

Team Minardi
Chassis: C
Shawn040217

Post by Shawn040217 »

Team : Jordan GP
Chassis Tier : Tier B
Pilot

Post by Pilot »

McLaren
Tier A
Biscione wrote:Can you stop being such a snowflake for five minutes?
Aislabie

Post by Aislabie »

We've finally managed to get Gerard Larrousse on the phone.

He would like the Larrousse NL-1 to be a D-Tier chassis because we are quite poor.

NL stands for Not Lola
Gertrand Bachot

Post by Gertrand Bachot »

Team: Ferrari
Chassis Tier: C
Frogfoot9013

Post by Frogfoot9013 »

Team: Scuderia Italia
Chassis: E
James Hunt, commentating on the 1991 German Grand Prix wrote:The Benettons looking very smart together on the track, mostly because they're both going so slowly.
Hammercat42

Post by Hammercat42 »

Rick Hammercat is doing an bid on team Lotus, to be their player in the field between all the legendary names like Dom Wings, Aislabie, Klon and many others.

The idea is to keep the team stable enough to survive the 1991 season and in the same time to prepare their self for a good start in 1992. Rick Hammercat told the press that he needs a single year to read, learn and study the ongoing 1991 rules with an eye on 1992.
"It will be a year to survive, but we will grow slowly to a stable team in the championship without taking the risk of being a Pre-Qualifier in 1992"

Hammercat had a 3 hours-long phone call with Peter Collins with the plan to keep the current drivers Maurício Gugelmin and Erik Comas in the team with maybe a soon-to-be-announced reserve driver to satisfy the pace in 1991 without taking the risk that one of the two main drivers get fatigued with many risks as result.
One of the other subjects of the call was to assure Collins that Hammercat will keep racing this season with the reliable Ford DFR 90 engines.

The press received a message from the Simtek factories that they have faith and trust in the new manager and are willing to help Hammercat, Collins and the whole staff of Lotus to design a stable base for 1992.

More news will be shared later this week, when Hammercat will release a short but firm press release.
-

Daily Kat News,
Harry Katze.