Formula Two: A Subtle Proposition

The place for discussion of all aspects of the gprejects.com website
Londoner

Post by Londoner »

Evening everyone :)

As most of you probably do know (or maybe not if you're living in the sticks :deletraz: ), The Show is back this weekend. But what of it's faithful sidekick, Formula Two? Is is truly living up to its name as F1's main feeder series, or has the enforced layoff of 2021 champion Oscar Piastri dented its reputation?

Our own Aislabie has come forward once again with an article full of rejectdom, and a liberal sprinkling of ideas to improve Formula Two, which you can read right here tonight!

Fetzie on Ferrari wrote:How does a driver hurtling around a race track while they're sous-viding in their overalls have a better understanding of the race than a team of strategy engineers in an air-conditioned room?l
yannicksamlad
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: Formula Two: A Subtle Proposition

Post by yannicksamlad »

Enjoyed the article, thanks.

I am a big fan of F2/GP2, F3000 as a series for great racing in powerful cars. I think the point about promoting it as such is very valid.
In an age where F1 drivers have long careers, and a handful of F1 teams pick up all the wins, there is no chance for a feeder series supplying one champion per year to have all those champions win races in F1. With only 20 places on a F1 grid it's understandable that they can't even all make it to F1. And that is a primarily a function of F1 limited grids and F1 driver longevity, not a fault of F2.

Even Moto gp 2 has champions with little MotoGP success.

So I think the 'Feeder Series' label should be de-emphasised. and promote it for the action and spectacle.
I started supporting Emmo in 1976 (3 points )....missed 75, 74, 73, 72...
Momus1986

Re: Formula Two: A Subtle Proposition

Post by Momus1986 »

A very well presented article.

I'd like to draw comparisons to NASCAR, one of the motorsports I follow the most closely. Here, they treat all of their top three tiers with the kind of respect, attention and importance that they deserve. "Bushwacking" has been common practice in NASCAR since its inception, with many drivers doing double, sometimes even triple duty on a race weekend. It's a practice that does have valid criticisms, such as potentially denying opportunities for younger drivers to compete and win races. However, the benefits these up-and-coming stars receive from competing with household names of the sport, as well as the tutelage and advantages they gain from the collaborations that many of the top-tier teams have with their lower-tier counterparts, have played a large part in creating many young stars that are now a big presence at the very pinnacle of NASCAR.

I can't help but feel that if the FIA treated F2 - and even F3 - with the same level of care and respect as NASCAR do with their junior categories, that - as the author of the article suggests - the younger generation of F1 stars wouldn't be limited to the super-talents of Leclerc, Verstappen, Russell, and perhaps Norris, but many more young drivers could develop the potential they may have to be competitive in the sport.

Unfortunately, whilst the grid size remains so small, and the sport remains so expensive, it will matter little what changes are made to the lower formulae, because there simply won't be the seats available in F1 for anyone other than established drivers, pay drivers, and the aforementioned super-talents. Perhaps the FIA knows this, and is using this as a reason why they aren't bothering to give F2 the attention it deserves.