Infinite Improbability Drive of the Race - Spain 2022

The place for speaking your mind on current goings-on in F1

Pick your Infinite Improbability Drive of the Race!

Poll ended at 27 May 2022, 06:24

Fernando Alonso
80%
Lando Norris
20%

Total votes: 20

Miguel98

Infinite Improbability Drive of the Race - Spain 2022

Post by Miguel98 »

Who was your Infinity Improbability Drive of the Race in the Spanish GP? Post your nominations below!
Mario on Gutierrez after the Italian Grand Prix wrote:He's no longer just a bit of a tool, he's the entire tool set.

18-07-2015: Forever in our hearts Jules.
25-08-2015: Forever in our hearts Justin.
IceG

Re: Infinite Improbability Drive of the Race - Spain 2022

Post by IceG »

(1) Russell - yes he has a potentially great car and yes Verstappen had no DRS but that defence was the first time I have whooped during an F1 race for a very long time. Cool, calm and 15 points thank-you.

(2) Alonso - from last to 9th. Very impressive.
Alextrax52

Post by Alextrax52 »

Norris: Battled through the physical illness to score 8th

Alonso: Last to 9th always makes a mention here

Russell: While Verstappen had no DRS and the Merc has improved it’s still not in the same league as Red Bull so for George to deliver like that was very impressive
rachel1990

Post by rachel1990 »

1- Alonso. Points after starting 20th. There was me thinking that the old man was past it.

2- Norris- unwell and still gets points. Unlike his 100% well teammate.

Hm- I suppose HRH deserves a mention for coming 5th after being hit by k-mag. I suppose.
Benetton of 1992. Never a reject
Meatwad

Post by Meatwad »

Mercedes: Returning to their previous form? Russell had another excellent race, taking a podium and for a while even fighting for the win. Hamilton made an impressive recovery that would have been expected in the last couple of years but not based on recent form – considering both his and Mercedes' difficulties this year and the track not being an easy one for overtakes, I expected him to finish outside the points.

Honorable mention to Alpine for another great recovery.
James1978

Post by James1978 »

The 2 British youngsters - the country is going to be in top hands even when Hamilton retires.

Actually Latifi gets an honourable mention here as he's been pounded all season - best I've seen from him for a while.
"Poor old Warwick takes it from behind all throughout this season". :) (Tony Jardine, 1988)
RAK

Post by RAK »

1) Fernando Alonso: Managed points from the back of the grid in a mediocre car.

2) Lando Norris: For reasons previously mentioned, being able to pull out a points-scoring position when ill while your teammate couldn't is worthy of merit.
Predicament Predictions Champion, 2011, 2018, 2019

They weren't the world's most competent team,
In fact, to be believed, their results must be seen,
Lola,
M-Mastercard Lola,
L, O, L, A, Lola!
Batty

Post by Batty »

1. Pastor Maldonado - Mending ties with Williams. Yay

2. Gust - It was super effective.
Rob Dylan

Post by Rob Dylan »

Only one suggestion from me:

The revival of the concept of unreliability (albeit for one race): Charles Leclerc's crash, while hardly ideal for a championship that looks to be swinging further in Red Bull's favour, was a wonderful reminder of the "good old days" when there was actually risk for any car out there on track to not make it to the end, no matter how well or easy the stint was going for the driver. Until now it has only been on Red Bull's side (and Max's surefire pass on Russell took an extra 10-20 laps with his own reliability problems), but with a sure win lost by Leclerc, it's added a whole new element of interest to the season!

(It would be even more refreshing if Mercedes faced even a slither of unreliability woes. I was thinking this when each driver lost a whopping five seconds of time at the end of the race. I've been long fed up of the invincibility of Mercedes' cars since about 2016 and would very much like to see a three-way constructor fight for this year that didn't just hand a revived Mercedes a bunch of easy wins simply because their car never ever fails.)
Murray Walker at the 1997 Austrian Grand Prix wrote:The other [Stewart] driver, who nobody's been paying attention to, because he's disappointing, is Jan Magnussen.
Felipe Nasr - the least forgettable F1 driver!
Aerond
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Aerond »

1. Alonso - Last to 9th at a hard track to overtake. Alpine's race pace in general

2. Bottas - Impressive until tires faded

Hm - Mercedes making good use of the upgrades.
Tread lightly in ARWS. Every decision might be your last.
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

I agree with Aerond's nomination of Bottas, wasn't expecting him to run so high in the points for so long.

Also Norris for doing so well while so ill. But equally as a nurse, I should condemn him for racing while so ill as it puts himself and others at risk
watka wrote:I find it amusing that whilst you're one of the more openly Christian guys here, you are still first and foremost associated with an eye for the ladies!
dinizintheoven wrote:GOOD CHRISTIANS do not go to jail. EVERYONE ON FORMULA ONE REJECTS should be in jail.
MCard LOLA
Rob Dylan

Post by Rob Dylan »

Slim pickings today for the IIDOTR suggestions. You have 48 hours to vote for your candidate in the poll at the top of this thread :dance:
Murray Walker at the 1997 Austrian Grand Prix wrote:The other [Stewart] driver, who nobody's been paying attention to, because he's disappointing, is Jan Magnussen.
Felipe Nasr - the least forgettable F1 driver!
Londoner

Post by Londoner »

Fetzie on Ferrari wrote:How does a driver hurtling around a race track while they're sous-viding in their overalls have a better understanding of the race than a team of strategy engineers in an air-conditioned room?l