Infinite Improbability Drive of the Race - Monaco 2022

The place for speaking your mind on current goings-on in F1

Pick your Infinite Improbability Drive of the Race!

Poll ended at 03 Jun 2022, 06:14

Nobody
57%
Pierre Gasly
13%
Sergio Perez
30%

Total votes: 23

Londoner

Infinite Improbability Drive of the Race - Monaco 2022

Post by Londoner »

1. Sergio Perez. From zero in qualifying to hero in the race. The Red Bull seat is surely his for years to come, nicely done.

2. Carlos Sainz Jr. Effectively calling his own strategy, that maiden win can't be too far away.
Fetzie on Ferrari wrote:How does a driver hurtling around a race track while they're sous-viding in their overalls have a better understanding of the race than a team of strategy engineers in an air-conditioned room?l
Aislabie

Re: Infinite Improbability Drive of the Race - Monaco 2022

Post by Aislabie »

1. Pierre Gasly - managed to overtake a bunch of cars on-track, which was fun

2. Sergio Perez - a win from not the front row, doesn't happen often in Monaco
Ducktanian

Post by Ducktanian »

I will second the #118 Dacia Logan nomination.
Murray Walker: "A lot of people here are really debating whether Ricardo Rosset is Formula 1 material"
Martin Brundle: "Well, it's a fairly short debate, Murray".
Vassago

Post by Vassago »

1. Sergio Perez - held it together when it mattered.

HM: Pierre Gasly - he benefited from inters that added to the overall race strategy but was AWOL after the red flag.
95 GP / 63 DNF / 5 pts
Hermann95
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Hermann95 »

HM: Sergio Perez, flawless drive for his first Monaco win

My nomination: #118 Dacia Logan
rachel1990

Post by rachel1990 »

1- the clear number 2 drivers. Perez and Sainz beat their teammates fairly.

2. Norris- I suspect he still isn't 100% and yet got a top result.

Hm- Vettel. 1 point I suppose.
Benetton of 1992. Never a reject
RAK

Post by RAK »

1) Pierre Gasly: Was clearly really up for it today; might not have scored points, but certainly entertained.

2) Sergio Perez: I might have actually predicted this, so it's not that improbable, but he had the pace over his championship-leading teammate and more than made up for his mistake in qualifying.

Honourable Mention: #118 Dacia Logan - might be a different sort of motor racing, but I love seeing underdog competitors like this doing surprisingly well.
Predicament Predictions Champion, 2011, 2018, 2019

They weren't the world's most competent team,
In fact, to be believed, their results must be seen,
Lola,
M-Mastercard Lola,
L, O, L, A, Lola!
IceG

Post by IceG »

(1) Alonso - for guaranteeing his points by just going slower and slower (at the expense of Ocon).

Nothing else worthy of note.
Alextrax52

Post by Alextrax52 »

Perez: Soaked up relentless pressure in the final minutes to take a brilliant win

Gasly: Provided most of the entertainment
Enforcer
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Enforcer »

Again, this is one that has me question the merit of this award. I know it's a 'feel good' award, but I feel it loses something if we're giving to someone who just did kinda well without really pulling off anything amazing. We should consider saving it for really deserving cases, which admittedly will be rare, given the neatly stratified nature of the grid currently. Or just replacing it with our own Driver of the Day award.

The improbability of Perez, or anyone in a Ferrari or Red Bull, winning at the moment could hardly be characterised as infinite, even with exaggeration and artistic licence allowed for. And it would definitely be odd to put Perez in the hat for IIDOTR, implying he did something exceptional, but at the same time it's safe to assume that Ferrari will be at least runners up for ROTR for throwing the race away. Which is it? Ferrari incompetence or Perez brilliance? Really the only thing notable about it once Ferrari had removed themselves from the lead of the race is that Red Bull didn't try and scheme a way to get Max into 1st place at Perez' expense.

I'd say the only person really approaching IIDOTR here is Norris. But at this stage is he really good, or is he driving to the performance of the car and Riccy is just having a really poor time? Like poorer than we already think?

Therefore I suggest no award of IIDOTR.
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

Marcus Ericsson.

Wait, you're telling me he's not a Sauber driver any more? Nor even an F1 driver any more? And it's not even called Sauber any more? And more to the point, the Indy 500 hasn't been part.of the F1 championship since 1960, 62 years ago? Based on Enforcer's comment, I'm still going for Ericsson.
watka wrote:I find it amusing that whilst you're one of the more openly Christian guys here, you are still first and foremost associated with an eye for the ladies!
dinizintheoven wrote:GOOD CHRISTIANS do not go to jail. EVERYONE ON FORMULA ONE REJECTS should be in jail.
MCard LOLA
James1978

Post by James1978 »

Not so much for this race in isolation but I think a lot of teams' perceived second drivers are doing really well lately, such as:

Checo - if he'd been allowed to win in Spain too, he'd be just a single point behind Max. Red Bull might get another Vettel/Webber situation soon.
Sainz - fought back well here against Leclerc.
Russell - who'd have thought it at the start of the year?
Norris - maybe he should be seen as lead driver but remember Ricciardo was the guy who essentially triggered Vettel leaving Red Bull to go to Ferrari!

Also Ocon doing well against Alonso, Latifi seems to be leading Albon now too.
"Poor old Warwick takes it from behind all throughout this season". :) (Tony Jardine, 1988)
Aerond
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Aerond »

The Rain - Without it, this would have been a snooze fest, so props to it
Tread lightly in ARWS. Every decision might be your last.
dj_vicious

Post by dj_vicious »

I probably shouldn't even make a post, but I will say this race had no IIDOTR of note. I will give an HM to Zhou for the save of the century. Inches away from the 2nd red flag of the race.
dj_vicious

Post by dj_vicious »

dr-baker wrote: 29 May 2022, 20:00 Marcus Ericsson.

Wait, you're telling me he's not a Sauber driver any more? Nor even an F1 driver any more? And it's not even called Sauber any more? And more to the point, the Indy 500 hasn't been part.of the F1 championship since 1960, 62 years ago? Based on Enforcer's comment, I'm still going for Ericsson.
To tail off your comment, that was a Hell of a drive from Marcus and he was the class of the field at the end. Dixon can stop kicking himself for his penalty because I don't think he would have been able to hold off Ericcson's charge
James1978

Post by James1978 »

James1978 wrote: 29 May 2022, 20:28 Not so much for this race in isolation but I think a lot of teams' perceived second drivers are doing really well lately, such as:

Checo - if he'd been allowed to win in Spain too, he'd be just a single point behind Max. Red Bull might get another Vettel/Webber situation soon.
Sainz - fought back well here against Leclerc.
Russell - who'd have thought it at the start of the year?
Norris - maybe he should be seen as lead driver but remember Ricciardo was the guy who essentially triggered Vettel leaving Red Bull to go to Ferrari!

Also Ocon doing well against Alonso, Latifi seems to be leading Albon now too.
Actually I'll add to that with saying Tsunoda has definitely stepped up and is comparing well now with the highly-rated Gasly, and a rich boy Stroll is also keeping a 4-time world champion honest at Aston Martin.

The only teams where the 2nd driver is definitely struggling against the lead driver are Schumacher against Magnussen and Zhou against Bottas who's revelling in being a lead driver for a team even if it's a smaller team.
"Poor old Warwick takes it from behind all throughout this season". :) (Tony Jardine, 1988)
Rob Dylan

Post by Rob Dylan »

The poll is up at the top of this thread! You have 48 hours to choose your candidate for IIDOTR! I have received and seen much comment about the validity of this award, so I have added the option of voting for nobody if you feel that nobody deserves it. Get voting :dance:
Murray Walker at the 1997 Austrian Grand Prix wrote:The other [Stewart] driver, who nobody's been paying attention to, because he's disappointing, is Jan Magnussen.
Felipe Nasr - the least forgettable F1 driver!
Londoner

Post by Londoner »

Fetzie on Ferrari wrote:How does a driver hurtling around a race track while they're sous-viding in their overalls have a better understanding of the race than a team of strategy engineers in an air-conditioned room?l