Re: Alternate F1 - The Revolutionary Era - 1994 Season

Post by Gertrand Bachot »

Monaco Grand Prix
Qualifying

Race
DOTR: Mika Häkkinen - superb
ROTR: Arrows - oops
Autosports wrote:Arrows blame electrical gremlins on double DNF at Monaco
The Monaco Grand Prix was a frustrating weekend for Arrows - Rubens Barrichello and Michael Schumacher locked out the front row, the latter led a good chunk of the race - yet neither car made it to half distance, let alone the chequered flag. What happened?

Barrichello smacked the wall exiting Sainte Devote on the first lap. When asked about it he stated, "well I turned in and put my foot down - normally it is quite smooth when exiting that corner and there are little issues, but today the rear end was incredibly loose and I could not control it, so I hit the wall. I think it was a glitch with the electronics."

Schumacher meanwhile was leading the race then about a third of the way in his car shutdown. He said, "the electrics just went completely. I was cruising around fine then all of a sudden I lost everything and the car stopped working. All of the screens and everything went."

Even though driver aids have been banned in 1994. Arrows' car appears to still retain a high degree of technological advancement. It seems then that they have work to do in refining it.
Gertrand Bachot

Autosport wrote:Simtek rookie has huge shunt at Catalunya
It is Friday and practice has concluded here at the Spanish Grand Prix, and it has been marred by an almighty shunt at Turn 9, otherwise known as Campsa.

The victim of the shunt was rookie driver Pedro Lamy. Lamy was drafted in to replace the tragically deceased Bernd Schneider at Simtek, however it appears the Banbury-based team cannot catch a break, as their replacement is now unable to race for them.

Lamy approached the Campsa corner and suffered a left rear suspension failure. This spun him around and pitched his car into the wall, with which it shunted into heavily. Lamy was unconscious and did not make any response to the marshals extracting him out of the car. He was therefore airlifted to hospital, with the entire paddock fearful that the sport would have its third death within a month.

Thankfully that did not happen, however the medical centre he was lifted to made a statement about his condition, with grim news. They stated that Lamy was paralysed and would not walk again, let alone drive a racing car.

This obviously came as a shock to everyone, no less than to Simtek, who are yet again struck by unfortunate events and have to search for a replacement. We can only hope things take a turn for the better going forward.
Gertrand Bachot

Spanish Grand Prix
Qualifying

Race
ROTR and DOTR have not been awarded at this event.
Gertrand Bachot

Canadian Grand Prix
Qualifying

Race
DOTR: Rubens Barrichello - a masterful debut victory
ROTR: Fabrizio Giovanardi - embarrassing first lap crash ends his stint at Ferrari

Code: Select all

Medical report
Larrousse Gitanes Blondes Car #19, driven by Olivier Panis, crashed heavily at Turns 14 and 15. Mr Panis was extracted from the car and taken to the nearest hospital, where it was confirmed that he broke both of his legs. He will therefore miss the rest of the 1994 season.
pasta_maldonado
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by pasta_maldonado »

Larousse express our condolences to Olivier Panis and wish him a speedy recovery.

In his stead, we will offer the following:

-Didier Cottaz French Grand Prix
-David Coulthard British Grand Prix onwards
Klon wrote:more liek Nick Ass-idy amirite?
Frogfoot9013

Post by Frogfoot9013 »

Owing to unforeseen expenditures brought about by the mid-season rule changes, Pacific Grand Prix will be replacing David Coulthard with Sophie Fabron from the French Grand Prix onwards.
James Hunt, commentating on the 1991 German Grand Prix wrote:The Benettons looking very smart together on the track, mostly because they're both going so slowly.
Gertrand Bachot

Provisional calendar released for 1995 - Canada seemingly dropped
The FIA has revealed a new provisional calendar for the 1995 season today. There are a few changes - namely the addition of a new race and the first Asian event outside of Japan, the Indonesian Grand Prix. The Argentine Grand Prix makes a return after a 12 year absence.

Notably not present is the Canadian Grand Prix. It is widely believed that the event was dropped as a result of Olivier Panis's crash and new FIA President Max Mosley's desire to push for increased safety in the sport. The FIA confirmed that the race would return in 1996 pending a change in the circuit's layout removing the "dangerous" Turn 14-15 chicane. The FIA also confirmed that there will be a record-breaking 18 races in 1995, however the last event has not yet been confirmed.

Grande Premio do Brasil - Autodromo Jose Carlos Pace - 26 March
Gran Premio Marlboro de Argentina - Autodromo Juan y Oscar Galvez - 2 April
Pacific Grand Prix - Tanaka International Circuit - 16 April
Gran Premio di San Marino - Autodromo Enzo e Dino Ferrari - 30 April
Gran Premio Marlboro de Espana - Circuit de Catalunya - 14 May
Grand Prix de Monaco - Circuit de Monaco - May 28
Grand Prix de France - Circuit de Nevers Magny-Cours - 2 July
British Grand Prix - Silverstone Circuit - 16 July
Grosser Mobil 1 Preis von Deutschland - Hockenheimring - 30 July
Marlboro Magyar Nagydij - Hungaroring - 13 August
Grand Prix de Belgique - Circuit de Spa-Francorchamps - 27 August
Pioneer Gran Premio d'Italia - Autodromo Nazionale Monza - 10 September
Grande Premio de Portugal - Autodromo do Estoril - 24 September
Grosser Preis von Europa - Nurburgring - 1 October
Pertamina Indonesian Grand Prix - Sentul International Circuit - 22 October
Fuji Television Japanese Grand Prix - Suzuka Circuit - 29 October
Australian Grand Prix - Adelaide Street Circuit - 12 November
Arrows cars "impossible" to follow
The Arrows team dominated the Circuit Gilles Villeneuve, with the team scoring a 1-2 finish - Brazilian Rubens Barrichello taking his maiden Formula One victory. Now however, some assertions have been made by drivers of other teams that suggest there may be a trick to the dominance.

Third-placed driver Frederic-Maxime Voeckler stated that his attempts to follow Michael Schumacher in front of him were "difficult", saying that "I could catch him up on the straights. But on the corners, no chance. He could put the power down far earlier than me. You could not take those lines without some form of electronic assistance, I am sure of it."

Williams' Jack Christopherson backed up Voeckler, also stating that "When my engine packed in I decided to remain trackside for some time, by the hairpin. I listened to each car and the Arrows cars produced some strange crackling noise when accelerating, it was quite extraordinary. No other car made that noise, its as if something is regulating the engine. The gear changes were incredibly quick too, nothing like the others."

Arrows has yet to address these comments.
kevinbotz

Post by kevinbotz »

Autosport wrote:
Briatore pooh-poohs rival suspicions about A17

The flamboyant managing director of Benetton Arrows, Flavio Briatore, has dismissed suggestions by rival teams and paddock insiders that the A17's performance could only be achievable through the use of illegal electronic aids as mere "ugly jealousy".

"I don't understand it, this double standard," said Briatore. "When Williams was winning everything, and everybody - the audience, me, probably Williams as well - was sleeping because it was so boring, nobody said a thing. When McLaren was winning everything, nobody said a thing. Now that Benetton Arrows is winning a little bit - just a little bit - we are villains! Cheaters, dopers, whatever!"

"I hear Voeckler, Christopherson saying we are difficult to follow, that our cars sound different. We go through scrutineering like everybody else; we show the stewards, the FIA, everything, because we have nothing to hide. If they say that we have performance only because of the funny electronics, which we do not have, they are not just attacking us, they are attacking the integrity of the FIA."

"We are difficult to follow because our car is faster. The car sounds different because every car sounds different; I listen to the Ferrari - surprise! It does not sound like a Williams! I listen to Lotus' gear changes - surprise! It does not sound like the gear changes of a Jordan!"

"Truly, there is no basis, no real reason for any of this sniping," Briatore concluded. "The only reason is jealousy, ugly jealousy."
Klon, on Alt-F1 wrote: I like to think it's more poker than gambling, though.
Klon
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Klon »

J.O.U.R.N.A.L. wrote:Williams Backs Christopherson, but Rejects Idea of Foul Play

Asked about the accusations made by his driver Jack Christopherson towards Benetton Arrows after the Canadian Grand Prix, Williams team boss Frank Williams backed his driver. "His technical understanding is extremely impressive for a 26-year old man. He would not blindly say something like this, especially knowing the damage wrong accusations can cause."

However, WIlliams rejected the idea of foul play. "A honorable sportsman like Flavio [Briatore] would not so blatantly violate the rules of the sport," he said. Williams added that he was completely understanding of Briatore being upset at the reporting of the statement. "Having your success invalidated by outside voices is always painful," he noted.

Williams went on to state that he "hopes the investigation will be executed fairly." Frank Williams withdrew from last year's Canadian Grand Prix in protest of stewarding decision. "It is my belief that the FIA must do their job overseeing the sport, but should not overreach out of personal grudges," Williams explained, "I understand Flavio can be a handful sometimes, but he is, as I said, a great sportsman."
Gertrand Bachot

French Grand Prix
Qualifying

Race
DOTR: Rubens Barrichello - simply unstoppable
ROTR: Didier Cottaz - great way to debut by crashing out
Frogfoot9013

Post by Frogfoot9013 »

Owing to continued financial troubles, Pacific Grand Prix has announced that it is parting ways with Damon Hill with immediate effect. Italian driver Vittorio Zoboli shall replace him from the British Grand Prix onwards.
James Hunt, commentating on the 1991 German Grand Prix wrote:The Benettons looking very smart together on the track, mostly because they're both going so slowly.
Gertrand Bachot

Jean Alesi sacked from Ferrari
Ferrari driver Jean Alesi has been sacked, merely a day after returning to the cockpit for the French Grand Prix.

The Frenchman retired from the race with a suspension failure, and appears to have responded quite aggressively. The Ferrari team report that after leaving the circuit, he threw an explosive device (later reported to be a firework) at one of the mechanics, in an apparent attempt to get revenge on them over his retirement from the race. He was taken into custody soon afterwards, the Ferrari team acting swiftly to announce that his contract was terminated with immediate effect.

Test driver Fabrizio Giovanardi, who filled in for Alesi earlier this season, will return to the race seat for the British Grand Prix onwards.
Gertrand Bachot

British Grand Prix
Qualifying

Race (red flagged on Lap 50 of 60)

1) Rubens Barrichello - 1:12:27.701
2) David Coulthard - +47.092
3) Jack Christopherson - +47.393
4) Gerhard Berger - +48.602
5) Fabrizio Giovanardi - +59.157
6) Neil McEwan - +1:15.156
7) Karl Wendlinger - +1:16.621
8) Mika Häkkinen - +1 Lap
9) Heinz-Harald Frentzen - +1 Lap
10) Jean-Marc Gounon - +1 Lap
11) Christian Fittipaldi - +1 Lap
12) Beau Brandenburg - +1 Lap
13) Eric van de Poele - +1 Lap
14) Roland Ratzenberger - +2 Laps
15) Alessandro Zanardi - +3 Laps
Ret) Tom Kristensen - Crash
Ret) Paul Tracy - Crash
Ret) Frédéric-Maxime Voeckler - Puncture
Ret) Martin Donnelly - Engine
Ret) Kazuki Fushida - Transmission
Ret) Jérémy-Étienne Voeckler - Suspension
Ret) Chris Dagnall - Transmission
Ret) Didier Artzet - Spun Off
Ret) Michele Alboreto - Engine
Ret) Eddie Irvine - Collision
Ret) Michael Schumacher - Collision

FL - Rubens Barrichello - 1:25.136
We are incredibly saddened to report the death of Car #11 Team Lotus driver Paul Tracy. On Lap 50, the Williams of Tom Kristensen attempted to lap Tracy and went up the inside of the high-speed Abbey corner. Tracy closed the door on Kristensen and this sent both cars into the wall. Tracy caught air, was flipped upside down and his head struck the barrier protecting the outside of the corner. He was taken to hospital but doctors were unable to save his life. He was 25 years old.
kevinbotz

Post by kevinbotz »

Autosport wrote: Walkinshaw: "A terrible, terrible tragedy"

Tom Walkinshaw led the tributes to Paul Tracy, following confirmation of the Canadian's death after a high-speed accident at Abbey corner during the British Grand Prix. Tracy was airlifted to The John Radcliffe Hospital, where, following hours of intensive critical care and efforts to resuscitate, he was declared dead at 7:30 PM GMT.

"It's a terrible, terrible tragedy," lamented an uncharacteristically subdued Walkinshaw. "I knew Paul very well; we'd kept in touch after he departed for Lotus. A larger-than-life personality, very blunt, direct; not one to hold punches - but I can't think of anyone more real, more authentic, than Paul. And, of course, he was a bloody quick driver."

"I'm, quite frankly, still in shock; I'd always thought of Paul as becoming something of a fixture - someone always around for a hello, a chat, or a proper row; someone that I looked forward to working with again, whether he stayed on this side of the pond, or not - and he's now gone from us. I can only extend all of my condolences to Paul's loved ones; to them, I can only express that I, all of us here at Benetton Arrows, and, I dare say, the entirety of the paddock, share in your devastation."
Klon, on Alt-F1 wrote: I like to think it's more poker than gambling, though.
Gertrand Bachot

German Grand Prix
Qualifying

Race

DOTR: Williams - finally back on track
ROTR: Eric van de Poele - went out of the race via an embarrassing error
Gertrand Bachot

Hungarian Grand Prix
Qualifying

Race
DOTR: Christian Fittipaldi - solid drive to put some more points on the board for Tyrrell
ROTR: Neil McEwan - clobbering into Eddie Irvine like a fool. Honourable mention goes to Ferrari for being absolutely nowhere all weekend.
Gertrand Bachot

Belgian Grand Prix
Qualifying (Wet)

Race
DOTR: Jack Christopherson - impressive victory from 15th on the grid
ROTR: David Coulthard - threw away a potential victory by crashing in the pitlane
Gertrand Bachot

Italian Grand Prix
Qualifying

Race
DOTR: Fabrizio Giovanardi - first victory in F1, at Monza, in a Ferrari? What more could you ask for?
ROTR: Jack Christopherson - from hero to zero, his clumsy first corner crash with Voeckler ended both their afternoons and earned him a race ban

Steward report
As a result of the collision between Rothmans Williams Renault Car #25, driven by Jack Christopherson, and Scuderia Ferrari Car #28, driven by Frederic-Maxime Voeckler, on Lap 1 of the Pioneer Gran Premio d'Italia at the Variante del Rettifilo, we have found it appropriate to award a one-race ban to driver Jack Christopherson, effective for the succeeding race, the Grande Premio de Portugal.
Klon
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Klon »

J.O.U.R.N.A.L. wrote:Arrows Loan Reserve Driver to Williams

After the FIA decided to ban Jack Christopherson for the Portugese Grand Prix, Williams was left scrambling for a replacement on short notice with Tom Kristensen unavailable due to a JTCC committment. Given his title hopes, neither Williams nor Toyota want to withdraw the Dane from that series. Jean Alesi, the first target of Williams, rejected the one-off drive to join Jordan.

Further alternative replacement options Ayrton Senna and Jacques Villeneuve were not given temporary release from their IndyCar contracts. Eventually, Williams got help from their frenemies at Benetton Arrows. In a surprising twist, the team has confirmed that their young test driver Jos Verstappen will celebrate his Formula One debut at Estoril.

According to a source close to Frank Williams, the move was a sign of support by the Leafield-based outfit. Williams had backed Arrows on multiple occasions in the past, such as controversially pulling out of the 1993 Canadian Grand Prix. This move will only strengthen the political axis against the FIA president, whose management has been decried by the team bosses.
Bleu

Post by Bleu »

Gertrand Bachot wrote: 20 Jun 2022, 18:12 ROTR: David Coulthard - threw away a potential victory by crashing in the pitlane
A real-life event re-appearing in GP2 game, although of course this event is "happening" before it actually happened.
Gertrand Bachot

Portuguese Grand Prix
Qualifying

Race
DOTR: Arrows - unstoppable
ROTR: McLaren - awful
Gertrand Bachot

European Grand Prix
Qualifying

Race
DOTR: The Top 3 - a well-fought battle
ROTR: Fabrizio Giovanardi - a poor performance to finish 11th, especially after the start
Frogfoot9013

Post by Frogfoot9013 »

Pending final approval of his superlicence, Pacific Grand Prix would like to announce that Hong Kong driver Andre Newate (DEC: me) shall be driving for the team instead of Vittorio Zoboli for the final two races of the season.
Gertrand Bachot

The FIA wrote:We reject Pacific Grand Prix's application for driver Andre Newate to receive a superlicence. Our investigation of Mr Newate suggests that he is an incredibly unremarkable driver in touring cars and has never driven a prototype sports car, let alone an open wheel racer. With this in mind, we therefore believe it would be inappropriate to award him a superlicence as doing so would make a mockery of Formula One and its driving standards.
Autosport wrote:Lotus has "no money"; bankruptcy is "imminent"
Long-standing outfit Team Lotus is alleged to be in an extremely perilous financial situation and is rumoured to be on the verge of folding.

The team, who have been in Formula One since 1956, have had their worst season in history. Saddled with a three-year old chassis and a gutless old Ford Cosworth engine, the team have not come close to even scoring points this year - their best finish being Paul Tracy's 8th around the streets of Monaco.

With their poor performance and the team being blighted by Tracy's tragic passing at Silverstone, the team has reportedly run out of money. A mixture of mounting debts and disputes with team sponsors has meant that it is looking unlikely that the team will even make it on the grid at Suzuka or Adelaide, let alone in 1995.

Lotus team principal Peter Collins has not commented on any of the team's financial affairs.
Auto Bild wrote:Schumacher: I'll quit Arrows if Barrichello beats me
Michael Schumacher has majorly upped the stakes in the F1 Drivers' Championship heading into the Japanese Grand Prix by threatening to leave his Mild Seven Benetton Arrows team for 1995 if teammate Rubens Barrichello beats him in the standings by the end of the year.

Schumacher, currently standing in 3rd, is 12 points behind his Brazilian teammate in the lead. He has to win at least one of the next two races to even beat Barrichello, let alone secure the championship. He stated that:

"This year, our car has been very quick, which is good. The battle with Rubens, not so much. I don't like having to fight my own teammate, I think it prevents the organisation as a whole from focusing on fighting for the championship. If we fight each other, then we lose focus on the bigger picture. A rival could swoop in and win.

"It's also very emotionally draining. And ultimately, I am at Arrows to win, to be the team's winner. If I cannot be that, then I am afraid that my time with the team will be very difficult in the future."

It is rumoured that Schumacher has been secretly negotiating with other teams for a drive in 1995. We have heard Williams and McLaren mentioned, or the possibility that Michael could take a chance on a midfielder such as Jordan - emulating Chris Dagnall, who did a similar thing at the start of this year. Either way, it will be exciting to see this story unfold over the next few months.
Frogfoot9013

Post by Frogfoot9013 »

The FIA wrote:We reject Pacific Grand Prix's application for driver Andre Newate to receive a superlicence. Our investigation of Mr Newate suggests that he is an incredibly unremarkable driver in touring cars and has never driven a prototype sports car, let alone an open wheel racer. With this in mind, we therefore believe it would be inappropriate to award him a superlicence as doing so would make a mockery of Formula One and its driving standards.
Andre Newate wrote: ...how could they?! HOW DARE THEY REFUSE ME A SUPERLICENCE! Who do those *expletive* in the FIA think they are? "Incredibly unremarkable driver in touring cars", "make a mockery of Formula One and its driving standards", pah, they've clearly never seen me behind the wheel. They will come to regret their decision! I will have my revenge one day!
Pacific Grand Prix Team Statement wrote: We are disappointed in the FIA's refusal to award Andre Newate a superlicence. As we cannot field him, we shall instead field Satoru Maka for the Japanese and Australian Grands Prix, pending final confirmation of the deal.
pasta_maldonado
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by pasta_maldonado »

Auto Sport wrote: Jean-Marc persona Gounon grata at Larrousse
Larrousse have parted ways with French driver Jean-Marc Gounon following another disappointing performance at the European Grand Prix. Lead contender to take the seat is reserve driver Tom Douglas.
To summarise - Gounon out, Tom Douglas in (approved by Wazzle).
Klon wrote:more liek Nick Ass-idy amirite?
Gertrand Bachot

Japanese Grand Prix
Qualifying

Race
Autosport wrote:Schumacher supplies wet-weather wonder while Barrichello bashes barriers
The recent Japanese Grand Prix saw Michael Schumacher handle the wet conditions successfully to score his seventh career victory. The German struggled in qualifying and only lined up 15th on the grid, but made his way up the field on Sunday to end up on the top step of the podium. Elsewhere, it was a successful afternoon for Larrousse, the team taking second and third places - their first double podium in history. Tom Douglas, in his first ever race start, did exceptionally well to finish on the podium. It was also a successful outing for Neil McEwan, taking a fine fourth place to add to his points tally. Williams took the final two points positions - not the best result, but leading driver Jack Christopherson stated that he was merely happy to have "kept it on the road" and to remain in contention for the championship going into the final round in Australia.

It was not a good day for Rubens Barrichello - the Brazilian struggled in the rain and crashed out of the race at the Spoon curve. He could've won the championship today had he merely scored a single point, but unfortunately for him it was not to be. Ferrari's Fabrizio Giovanardi also retired from the race after making an error - denying him a potential victory. Mika Hakkinen of Oreca could've also won, but his gearbox expired from the lead, ending an inspired performance from the Finn.

Further down the grid, the cash-strapped Lotus team had further woes. The team reputedly instructed drivers Alessandro Zanardi and Kazuki Fushida to deliberately fail to qualify as a result of sponsor disputes and unpaid debts, the two cars only making a token appearance in qualifying to meet the FIA's conditions of entry. Whether they even make it to Australia is not known.