Hey, how about I put up the answers to my pre-season quiz before the European season starts? And by quiz, I mean pack of deceptively worded phrases that got three whole respondents. Eventually.
1. What race was Valtteri Bottas' first F1 points finish?
The 2013 United States Grand Prix. It was 80% of Williams' points that year, which is why it's important to us.
2. Daniil Kvyat has had two different results at the Australian Grand Prix. What are they?
9th and DNS. But now he's added a 10th to his 9ths. Talk about diversifying.
3. 2018 broke a streak of how many years of Toro Rosso finishing 7th in the championship?
4. And the only times they haven't been seventh to ninth are 2008 and 2009. They're consecutive. 2018 was the first time since then that they moved by more than one position.
4. What is Nico Hülkenberg's most common finishing position in F1?
It's 6th. I know it doesn't feel like it. That's why it's a question.
5. Where did Kevin Magnussen start in his only F1 race in 2015?
He didn't, because his Honda didn't survive the formation lap. And his car wasn't the only one. Fifteen starters, that race had.
6. Who drove in a single F1 race for Haas?
Eddie Cheever drove one race for Haas Lola in 1986.
7. How many races did Pierre Gasly do for Caterham?
He did 6 races for them in GP2.
8. What series did Grosjean win in in 2016?
He won in the Andros Trophy. He also won the qualifying for that race, which is even more important. It's a weird system.
9. What is Lewis Hamilton's longest F1 win streak? (2/3 pts for length, 1/3 for specific races)
5, 2014 Italy to United States.
10. How many times did Ricciardo start outside the top 10 in 2018?
6. Slightly more than everyone guessed.
11. Not counting Mecachrome and Supertec, how many engine manufacturers have Williams raced in F1 using?
8: Ford Cosworth, Honda, Judd, Renault, BMW, Cosworth, Toyota, and Mercedes. Both correct respondents made sure to ask whether Ford Cosworth and Cosworth are different.
12. Which French driver drove a Mercedes chassis in F1?
André Simon drove a Mercedes in the 1955 Monaco Grand Prix.
13. Robert Kubica doesn't have two perfectly intact arms, but who was the first to drive in F1 without two complete legs?
Alan Stacey had a prosthetic right lower leg because the one he was born with was too short.
14. Of Sauber's 30 F1 drivers, how many made a return to the team after an absence of more than one race?
8: Järvilehto, Wendlinger, Frentzen, Morbidelli, Fontana, Heidfeld, Massa, and de la Rosa.
15. Enrique Bernoldi's highest finish in F1 was at which track?
The Hockenheimring. The two who got it wrong got it really wrong and guessed Monaco.
16. What is Max Verstappen's longest win streak? (2/3 pts for length, 1/3 for specific races)
6: the three races at Spa-Francorchamps and the Norisring in his Euro F3 season.
17. What Oceanian race did Carlos Sainz win?
Rally New Zealand. The two people who didn't get the trick didn't even bother to pick something from Oceania.
18. What A1 Grand Prix weekend was Sergio Pérez in?
Shanghai in the 2006–07 season, replacing everyone's favourite FE driver Salvador Durán.
19. What was Charles Leclerc's first F1 practice session?
It was in the 2016 British Grand Prix. No one got the right year.
20. What team did Alexander Albon get his first win with?
KTR, in Eurocup Formula Renault. I know this one's not very interesting.
21. When did Enzo Ferrari first announce his team was quitting F1?
In 1953, he announced his team would be withdrawing from motorsport for 1954. Before and after the announcement, they were clearly doing development work for 1954. It was probably an attempt to get people to give them more starting money because they were scared of Mercedes.
22. In 2015 and '16, and 2017 and '18, McLaren came 9th in the championship followed by 6th. In what other pair of years did this happen?
1980 and '81. I don't know much about that era, but I'm sure there are interesting reasons.
23. What series did Lando Norris win in 2016? (4/9 each)
Two Formula Renault 2.0s, Eurocup and NEC, and Toyota Racing Series.
24. Antonio Giovinazzi is a champion of which series?
Formula Pilota China. No one would've guessed that. I know because no one guessed it.
25. What series did George Russell do a full season of without a win?
Formula Renault 2.0 Alps. The winner was Nyck de Vries, who had just over 50% more points than runner-up Charles Leclerc.
26. Besides F1, what series did Lance Stroll do a full season of without a win?
Florida Winter Series. I know that's mean, but at least I didn't ask something about championship positions.
27. In the 1985 Australian Grand Prix, both Renaults retired from failures of what part?
The gearbox. It wasn't some Arrows-style hilarity, but 34 years later, they'd make up for it.
28. Kimi Räikkönen debuted in F1 with which helmet manufacturer?
Arai. Not even I care, honestly.
29. In what year did the Red Bull Junior Team take on Sebastian Vettel?
The answer is 1998. Seriously. I have sources that aren't Wikipedia.
30. Where did Otmar Szafnauer finish in the Piggly Wiggly Grand Prix?
13th. It would be his best finish in a USF2000 series.
CarloSpace: 8 4/9
Rob Dylan: 3 2/3
Over twice as many points as second place. What a win.
Rob Dylan wrote:Mercedes paying homage to the other W12 chassis by breaking down 30 minutes in