Community Podcast: GPR Goes To Battersea

The place for discussion of all aspects of the gprejects.com website
dinizintheoven

Community Podcast: GPR Goes To Battersea

Post by dinizintheoven »

So... it is done!

http://gprejects.podomatic.com/entry/2015-06-30T11_17_45-07_00

We went to London to see the Formula E race(s) live, and we saw that it was good.
We went to a pub afterwards for some fine ales (well, I did...) and a chinwag about what we'd seen.
We recorded our natterings.
dr-baker sent me some more.
I bolted them all together with some appropriate interludes into something that might, just possibly, recapture the spirit of the Formula One Rejects podcasts we all miss so much.

I had to make a new email account to sign up for Podomatic a second time - because I don't have the space to spare on the Hammer of Retribution account, and I'd like this to stay up a bit longer than the usual two months. I fully intend this account to be available to the administrators, and anyone who wants to have another attempt at a Grand Prix Rejects podcast - just don't be an utter Polaroid-head with it. You know what I mean.

Enjoy. Or don't, but the four of us involved would infinitely prefer it if you do.
James Allen, on his favourite F1 engine of all time:
"...the Life W12, I can't describe the noise to you, but imagine filling your dustbin with nuts and bolts, and then throwing it down the stairs, it was something akin to that!"
Bobby Doorknobs

Re: Community Podcast: GPR Goes To Battersea

Post by Bobby Doorknobs »

Listening to it now. Loving it so far!
#FreeGonzo
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

Downloading now to find out how terrible I sound!
watka wrote:I find it amusing that whilst you're one of the more openly Christian guys here, you are still first and foremost associated with an eye for the ladies!
dinizintheoven wrote:GOOD CHRISTIANS do not go to jail. EVERYONE ON FORMULA ONE REJECTS should be in jail.
MCard LOLA
Bobby Doorknobs

Post by Bobby Doorknobs »

Just finished listening to it. Nice work, Jim. And well done to Baker, Watka and Tommy for being a part of it. A pity none of you listed the LottererLegend as a driver who should race in FE, but at least Ide's name was dropped ;)
#FreeGonzo
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

Wow, I really don't like the sound of my own voice! But I guess most people don't in this situation, right?! Glad I got the FE car noise on the second day, it does add something.
watka wrote:I find it amusing that whilst you're one of the more openly Christian guys here, you are still first and foremost associated with an eye for the ladies!
dinizintheoven wrote:GOOD CHRISTIANS do not go to jail. EVERYONE ON FORMULA ONE REJECTS should be in jail.
MCard LOLA
Miguel98

Post by Miguel98 »

I quite liked hearing to it, so cheers for making it guys! :D
Mario on Gutierrez after the Italian Grand Prix wrote:He's no longer just a bit of a tool, he's the entire tool set.

18-07-2015: Forever in our hearts Jules.
25-08-2015: Forever in our hearts Justin.
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

Just finished listening to it. Some wonderful editing Jim. Thank you! :) I did feel compelled, however, to skip over Baker's Sunday Service, because, you know, I was there...
MCard LOLA
dinizintheoven

Post by dinizintheoven »

And clearly getting into the spirit of things, Podomatic has come over all rejectful. It's showing a grand total of zero plays or downloads, even though some of you quite clearly have done so, and the site's reporting enough bandwidth has been used for 13 (and a half) downloads.

They've done something odd with the permalink page as well. The old version that the Hammer of Retribution still uses (see here: http://hammerofretribution.podomatic.co ... 1_40-07_00 for comparison), I'd say is a lot clearer and less cluttered, but for the GP Rejects podcast I didn't have the choice to use that. Plus, it's a lot more obstructive behind the scenes, so if any admins ever want to tweak the look of the site a bit (though it'll need a lot), it'll be harder to do than it needs to be.

But such things are sent to try us...
"...the Life W12, I can't describe the noise to you, but imagine filling your dustbin with nuts and bolts, and then throwing it down the stairs, it was something akin to that!"
CoopsII

Post by CoopsII »

I'll definitely be giving this a go later, but I will be slightly disappointed if the recording doesn't get more rambling as is goes on due to the amount of time spent in the pub. I'm hoping for the ending to be lots of voices telling each other they love each other, you're my best mate etc etc.
Just For One Day...
Butterfox
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Butterfox »

Tommy, stop trying to sound british, you're Belgian, you need a more french accent, dammit! :twisted:

But good job, you guys all sounded quite nervous at first, but that's totally normal. There's potential!
I don't know what i want and i want it now!
dinizintheoven

Post by dinizintheoven »

Crikey, it's a week later, and...

Here's a suggestion. Given that at least one of my co-conspirators said "hey, at least we're making all-new content for Grand Prix Rejects!", how would any first-time visitor to the site know about that?

How about putting it on the front page, as I'm sure will be the case when dr-baker's all-new Lola profile is done?
DanielPT
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by DanielPT »

By the way, I still haven't gave any feedback...

I thoroughly enjoyed your podcast specially given it was barely scripted and there is some potential! Hopefully you can do it again sometime soon. I give a positive vote for the continuation of this project! :D
Colin Kolles on F111, 2011 HRT challenger: The car doesn't look too bad; it looks like a modern F1 car.
dinizintheoven

Post by dinizintheoven »

I'm keeping the files to hand, in case anyone's interested in doing a race-by-race series of Formula E podcasts for the next season. That intro took as long to build as the rest of the podcast!
watka
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by watka »

Thanks for getting it online, looking forward to hearing dr-baker's Sunday stuff!
Watka - you know, the swimming horses guy
dinizintheoven

Post by dinizintheoven »

Which reminds me, I did drop a few comments of my own into Baker's Sunday Service, so hopefully the doctor did go back and listen to it in full...
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

dinizintheoven wrote:Which reminds me, I did drop a few comments of my own into Baker's Sunday Service, so hopefully the doctor did go back and listen to it in full...

Can't believe I got Gachnang and de Silvestro muddled! I suppose if a championship contender's cousin had indeed been in the race, much reference would have been made to it in the programme and on the radios... I suppose Reject of the Podcast (ROTP) for me then...

But there again Jim, you mentioned that two of the FE teams had connections to F1 reject status team, Virgin and Super Aguri. You forgot that Venturi had also built chassis for Larrousse to use in 1992, a year in which they scored a solitary point, making Venturi a bit respectful too.
MCard LOLA
dinizintheoven

Post by dinizintheoven »

dr-baker wrote:But there again Jim, you mentioned that two of the FE teams had connections to F1 reject status team, Virgin and Super Aguri. You forgot that Venturi had also built chassis for Larrousse to use in 1992, a year in which they scored a solitary point, making Venturi a bit respectful too.

Rejectful, even.

In my defence, I didn't forget Venturi, it's more that I considered Larrousse to be the team that just happened to have Lola and Venturi build cars for them - and they'd long since unrejectified themselves before Venturi were involved.
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

dinizintheoven wrote:
dr-baker wrote:But there again Jim, you mentioned that two of the FE teams had connections to F1 reject status team, Virgin and Super Aguri. You forgot that Venturi had also built chassis for Larrousse to use in 1992, a year in which they scored a solitary point, making Venturi a bit respectful too.

Rejectful, even.

In my defence, I didn't forget Venturi, it's more that I considered Larrousse to be the team that just happened to have Lola and Venturi build cars for them - and they'd long since unrejectified themselves before Venturi were involved.

Yes, rejectful! Flaming auto-correct...

And fair enough about the Venturi issue. Venturi by themselves would be rejects but Larrousse certainly not. And it was Larrousse who ran the car... But they were still involved nonetheless.
MCard LOLA
FullMetalJack
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by FullMetalJack »

dr-baker wrote:
dinizintheoven wrote:

Rejectful, even.

Yes, rejectful! Flaming auto-correct...

And fair enough about the Venturi issue. Venturi by themselves would be rejects but Larrousse certainly not. And it was Larrousse who ran the car... But they were still involved nonetheless.

Definitely rejectful, when you consider Ukyo Katayama DNPQ'd at Monaco in the race where teammate Bertrand Gachot scored the team's only point of the season.

I suppose Katayama made up for it when he was on for a certain 5th place in the following race, until an engine failure.
I like the way Snrub thinks!
DVST8R

Post by DVST8R »

Downloading it now, I'll give it a listen tonight. Really happy to see a new community podcast though :)
Faustus
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Faustus »

Finally downloaded it and listened to it yesterday. Very good! Sounds like you had a good time.
Following Formula 1 since 1984.
Avid collector of Formula 1 season guides and reviews.
Collector of reject merchandise and 1/43rd scale reject model cars.
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

Faustus wrote:Finally downloaded it and listened to it yesterday. Very good! Sounds like you had a good time.

We did!
MCard LOLA
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

In this podcast we discussed possible inclusions to a possible soundtrack for FE (presumably not at all inspired by the EJ/eDJ/whatever).

I cannot remember all the suggestions at the time, but here are hopefully some that we didn't mention at the time:

Pre-recording, Dr Jim Dinizintheoven definitely told us not to mention Like a Virgin by Madonna to commemorate Sam Bird's team at the time.

Talking of Sam Bird, Watka asked us about the Bird and if we knew that the Bird is the Word. (Personally, I think Grease is the word that you heard. It's got groove, it's got feeling.)

And even though I have an eye for the ladies, according to the quotation in my signature, I still enjoy a musical show tune or two. So I bring you Electricity from Billy Elliott, and AC/DC (a.k.a. the Introduction to Electra, in my mind) from Andrew Lloyd Webber's New Starlight Express. (And if you know what links this musical to Thamas the Tank Engine, other than both are about trains, you have my respect, whatever that is worth).
MCard LOLA