Rare Liveries

The place for speaking your mind on current goings-on in F1
sswishbone

Rare Liveries

Post by sswishbone »

Seen this on Autosport

https://www.autosport.com/gallery/index.php/id/3793

Some crackers on there that should have raced more in my opinion. The 2007 test Spyker livery was pretty slick and Red Bull's camouflage livery was way better than anything they've ever used. Even Forti got a mention!

Any other rare designs missing?
"Hispania are a waste of talent and petrol!" Martin Brundle, Australia Qualifying 2011

Live streams and podcasts from yours truly at http://www.youtube.com/user/sswishbone
Bobby Doorknobs

Re: Rare Liveries

Post by Bobby Doorknobs »

They included last year's Force India, which ran in the 2016 livery at the time anyway, but left out the Löwenbräu McLaren?!

But anyway, we had an interesting thread on (more or less) this very subject a few years ago: https://www.gprejects.com/forum/viewtop ... f=2&t=6975
#FreeGonzo
dinizintheoven

Post by dinizintheoven »

They've mentioned BAR and the 555 livery three times in there. Surely just the once with a couple of footnotes would have done the job?
James Allen, on his favourite F1 engine of all time:
"...the Life W12, I can't describe the noise to you, but imagine filling your dustbin with nuts and bolts, and then throwing it down the stairs, it was something akin to that!"
Nuppiz
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Nuppiz »

And what's with that Jordan livery there? I don't really see anything special in it, and the caption seems to be incomplete...
Eurosport broadcast for the 1990 Mexican GP prequalifying:
"The Life, it looked very lifeless yet again... in fact Bruno did one, slow lap"
Ataxia
Not Important

Post by Ataxia »

Nuppiz wrote:And what's with that Jordan livery there? I don't really see anything special in it, and the caption seems to be incomplete...

The early season 196 looked like this, in a paint scheme known as "Desert Storm":

...before they switched to gold later on:

Mitch Hedberg wrote:I want to be a race car passenger: just a guy who bugs the driver. Say man, can I turn on the radio? You should slow down. Why do we gotta keep going in circles? Man, you really like Tide...
mario

Post by mario »

Simtek wrote:They included last year's Force India, which ran in the 2016 livery at the time anyway, but left out the Löwenbräu McLaren?!

But anyway, we had an interesting thread on (more or less) this very subject a few years ago: https://www.gprejects.com/forum/viewtop ... f=2&t=6975

Unfortunately, Photobucket's change in hotlinking images means that most of them are now not visible, which ruins a large chunk of that thread.

I am a little surprised that they mentioned the NART Ferrari's, but left out some of the other ones from the privateers who ran their cars. You could, for example, have mentioned the Ecurie Francorchamps bright yellow cars:
(The image is captioned as Jacques Swaters in the 1954 Belgian GP).
Martin Brundle, on watching a replay of Grosjean spinning:
"The problem with Grosjean is that he want to take a look back at the corner he's just exited"
Enforcer
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Enforcer »

Once off testing livery for Jordan circa 2003:

CarloSpace
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by CarloSpace »

Talking about test liveries, why leave out this beauty off the list?

While looking for this livery I came across an image I hadn't seen before... Montoya testing a FW19 in a Winfield livery!

Bobby Doorknobs

Post by Bobby Doorknobs »

mario wrote:I am a little surprised that they mentioned the NART Ferrari's, but left out some of the other ones from the privateers who ran their cars. You could, for example, have mentioned the Ecurie Francorchamps bright yellow cars:
(The image is captioned as Jacques Swaters in the 1954 Belgian GP).

I'm assuming NART is there simply because their participation in the last two rounds of 1964 were works Ferrari entries in all but name, although NART was indeed normally an operation completely independent of Maranello.

You could probably very easily double the number of liveries in that gallery by factoring in privateers, though: Rob Walker's navy cars are probably quite recognisable to anyone with a cursory knowledge of that period of F1 history, but then you also have Masten Gregory's blue Maserati, Al Pease's Castrol Eagle, Pesenti-Rossi's Gulf Tyrrell...

What I'd love to see is a decent colour scan of this:

John Cordts in a BT23 Brabham sporting a stained glass-patterned windscreen!
#FreeGonzo
dinizintheoven

Post by dinizintheoven »

Enforcer wrote:Once off testing livery for Jordan circa 2003:

(CENSORED)

Gak! That'd be enough to make LJK Setright switch to Silk Cut!
James Allen, on his favourite F1 engine of all time:
"...the Life W12, I can't describe the noise to you, but imagine filling your dustbin with nuts and bolts, and then throwing it down the stairs, it was something akin to that!"
James1978

Post by James1978 »

That yellow 1996 Jordan is mentioned there but IIRC there's an even rarer one which was predominantly green used in pre-season testing before the B & H deal was announced. I thought it looked great, going back to the green of their debut season, as the four seasons in between they had been mostly blue. The drivers wore green overalls too!
"Poor old Warwick takes it from behind all throughout this season". :) (Tony Jardine, 1988)
James1978

Post by James1978 »

Actually I have found a couple of images of it here, looked good (but maybe would have been a bit too close to the Minardi that year)!

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=F1+19 ... 7512862478
"Poor old Warwick takes it from behind all throughout this season". :) (Tony Jardine, 1988)
mario

Post by mario »

James1978 wrote:Actually I have found a couple of images of it here, looked good (but maybe would have been a bit too close to the Minardi that year)!

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=F1+19 ... 7512862478

Not to mention being rather reminiscent of the Jaguar Racing cars that followed a few years later.

I suppose that there are also the dark blue liveries that Williams ran in testing a few years ago, and in particular one they ran back in 2008 to celebrate their 30th year in F1:
Martin Brundle, on watching a replay of Grosjean spinning:
"The problem with Grosjean is that he want to take a look back at the corner he's just exited"
The Chicane

Post by The Chicane »

Even though it was used for more than one race I've always had a soft spot for this livery:

Basic but underrated.
RENAULT CLASSIC (1977 - 2017)
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
11 : Drivers' titles
12 : Constructors' titles
Har1MAS1415

Post by Har1MAS1415 »

Har1MAS1415

Post by Har1MAS1415 »

Har1MAS1415 wrote: 07 Aug 2022, 19:12 The predominantly blue 1995 Jordan.

The dark blue 1995 Tyrrell.
Amended, now I know what to do.
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

Har1MAS1415 wrote: 09 Aug 2022, 10:54 ]

It does take a little bit of practice. The Preview button next to the Submit button is a good way of finding out how the posts will look.
watka wrote:I find it amusing that whilst you're one of the more openly Christian guys here, you are still first and foremost associated with an eye for the ladies!
dinizintheoven wrote:GOOD CHRISTIANS do not go to jail. EVERYONE ON FORMULA ONE REJECTS should be in jail.
MCard LOLA
Har1MAS1415

Post by Har1MAS1415 »

dr-baker wrote: 09 Aug 2022, 12:18
Har1MAS1415 wrote: 09 Aug 2022, 10:54 ]

It does take a little bit of practice. The Preview button next to the Submit button is a good way of finding out how the posts will look.
It certainly took me a bit of practice and that's exactly the method I used.
Har1MAS1415

Post by Har1MAS1415 »

Bobby Doorknobs wrote: 27 Jan 2018, 18:03 They included last year's Force India, which ran in the 2016 livery at the time anyway, but left out the Löwenbräu McLaren?!

Here's the M28 variant.