Crash and Burn Review

The place for discussion of all aspects of the gprejects.com website
Bobby Doorknobs

Crash and Burn Review

Post by Bobby Doorknobs »

Hello all,

A happy St. Patrick's Day to you! With the new documentary on the enigmatic Tommy Byrne going around, I've taken it upon myself to review it as a fitting celebration of this day: http://gprejects.com/centrale/review-crash-and-burn

If you don't have time to read the review, here's a summary: Watch Crash and Burn. It's really good. ;)

Cheers,

Anthony
#FreeGonzo
dr-baker

Re: Crash and Burn Review

Post by dr-baker »

Definitely going to try and watch it, even if it means downloading via iPlayer afterwards (or buy the DVD...).

And I reckon that a section on the website dedicated to motor-racing-themed movies/films could work. After all, there are plenty out there, only a few of which were on the original site (Driven, The Ballard of Ricky Bobby).
watka wrote:I find it amusing that whilst you're one of the more openly Christian guys here, you are still first and foremost associated with an eye for the ladies!
dinizintheoven wrote:GOOD CHRISTIANS do not go to jail. EVERYONE ON FORMULA ONE REJECTS should be in jail.
MCard LOLA
Bobby Doorknobs

Post by Bobby Doorknobs »

dr-baker wrote:Definitely going to try and watch it, even if it means downloading via iPlayer afterwards (or buy the DVD...).

And I reckon that a section on the website dedicated to motor-racing-themed movies/films could work. After all, there are plenty out there, only a few of which were on the original site (Driven, The Ballard of Ricky Bobby).

It is something I've thought about, and I have been meaning to watch The Racers (lurid is the word I believe Mike Hawthorn used to describe it) and Bobby Deerfield for review. I'd prefer to stay away from the likes of Le Mans and Grand Prix, given that they're extremely well-known to racing fans and well-received (I had thought about a 50th anniversary review for Grand Prix, but it's too late now).
#FreeGonzo
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

Simtek wrote:
dr-baker wrote:Definitely going to try and watch it, even if it means downloading via iPlayer afterwards (or buy the DVD...).

It is something I've thought about, and I have been meaning to watch The Racers (lurid is the word I believe Mike Hawthorn used to describe it) and Bobby Deerfield for review. I'd prefer to stay away from the likes of Le Mans and Grand Prix, given that they're extremely well-known to racing fans and well-received (I had thought about a 50th anniversary review for Grand Prix, but it's too late now).

I understand that perspective. Even expanding it to things like Cars or Herbie would entail the same argument. But then, what about things like the TV series Roary the Racing Car?
watka wrote:I find it amusing that whilst you're one of the more openly Christian guys here, you are still first and foremost associated with an eye for the ladies!
dinizintheoven wrote:GOOD CHRISTIANS do not go to jail. EVERYONE ON FORMULA ONE REJECTS should be in jail.
MCard LOLA
Rob Dylan

Post by Rob Dylan »

I was always a fan of "Brum" when I was a kid. Possibly the greatest show in the history of ever.
Murray Walker at the 1997 Austrian Grand Prix wrote:The other [Stewart] driver, who nobody's been paying attention to, because he's disappointing, is Jan Magnussen.
Felipe Nasr - the least forgettable F1 driver!
Butterfox
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Butterfox »

dr-baker wrote:
Simtek wrote:

I understand that perspective. Even expanding it to things like Cars or Herbie would entail the same argument. But then, what about things like the TV series Roary the Racing Car?

To be honest, it would be quite refreshing to see reviews of such series as Roary the Racing Car (even Brum!) from a racing lovers perspective. If people are interested, i wouldn't mind giving Initial D a try... (though it will also take quite some time to even re-watch it completely)
I don't know what i want and i want it now!
Ciaran

Post by Ciaran »

This wrote:If people are interested, i wouldn't mind giving Initial D a try... (though it will also take quite some time to even re-watch it completely)

Initial D got me into anime...and then Wangan Midnight almost made me back out. :badoer: Capeta's another racing anime that's been on my watchlist for years.
Manager of Calsonic Team Impul in Formula E, K-Apex in PES & Eurasian F3 and Mitsuoka in Alt-F1 '76.
My career mode thread - 1988: AGS (19pts, 9th) // 1989: Arrows (25pts, 8th, 1 win!)
You'll never DNF if you always DNPQ. #RollSafe
Butterfox
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Butterfox »

Regenmeister94 wrote:
This wrote:If people are interested, i wouldn't mind giving Initial D a try... (though it will also take quite some time to even re-watch it completely)

Initial D got me into anime...and then Wangan Midnight almost made me back out. :badoer: Capeta's another racing anime that's been on my watchlist for years.

Capeta's also in my to-watch list, obviously, but considering how big that list has became trough the years, i never got to watch it. Though i'm not sure how to review a whole series where to be honest almost nothing happens (it's mostly the road action and music soundtrack that makes it enjoyable), if theres enough interest, i'll give myself a deadline.
TheFlyingCaterham

Post by TheFlyingCaterham »

Regenmeister94 wrote:

I've enjoyed the Cyber Formula anime, although a decent amount of the episodes don't have subtitles and it is kinda hard to find the first series altogether (on Youtube at least). Still good though, I'd recommend you check it out.
Resident Track Designer Addict

2016 F1Rejects Track Designing Competition Champion
2017 F1Rejects Track Designing Competition Runner-Up

More of a reader than a poster on these forums, so I won't post much compared to others.
Butterfox
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Butterfox »

TheFlyingCaterham wrote:
Regenmeister94 wrote:

I've enjoyed the Cyber Formula anime, although a decent amount of the episodes don't have subtitles and it is kinda hard to find the first series altogether (on Youtube at least). Still good though, I'd recommend you check it out.
I did find it on some streaming website! Well, i'll give myself 3 months per series.
Barbazza

Post by Barbazza »

I recorded the BBC N Ireland showing from earlier in the week and watched it this afternoon.

I really enjoyed it, and it was good to see so much archive footage even if some of it was clearly from VHS and barely broadcast standard. The range of commentators was also very well considered, it was great to hear from David Kennedy who I've never seen on any other F1 documentaries or coverage in general - I bet his story would be quite interesting too!

In particular, I don't think I realised just how good Tommy really was, having seen little of the Formula Ford and Formula 3 coverage at the time. For someone supposedly a bit wild, his patience during the final F3 race of the season while Dave Scott repeatedly tried to barge him off the track in a frankly disgraceful display of driving was admirable.

Also, it suddenly struck me just how much in common I have with him. Bear with me on this, as I'm not talking about driving skills here - I don't even drive a road car!

I occasionally talk about my days of being a radio presenter. What I don't very often talk about is how my attitude potentially stopped me from a long career in the industry. Rather than getting my head down and doing the long, painful and knackering overnight shifts and other lower ranked shows without complaining I tended to whinge a lot that I wasn't getting opportunities. I also didn't 'play the corporate game' of licking people's backsides to move up the ladder. As a result, I had fun, but like Tommy I never got to be a big star or earn lots of money. I'm not saying I would've been a Chris Evans equivalent (god forbid, quite honestly!) but I could have made more of it.

To be quite clear though, I've never become addicted to alcohol or drugs or nearly been shot by some crazy drugs baron.
Last edited by Barbazza on 25 Mar 2017, 21:19, edited 1 time in total.
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

Just currently downloading it on iPlayer...
MCard LOLA
CoopsII

Post by CoopsII »

FINALLY got round to watching this last night on the BBC iplayer. If you haven't watched it yet you really should. It was a great story but painfully familiar to those of us that have looked into all these great drivers that coulda, woulda and damn well shoulda. By the end of it I was annoyed at F1 for letting him go and I agree with him that his background went against him probably even more than his lifestyle. We all know James Hunt was a hell raiser but he was from a good background and spoke eloquently with received pronunciation which helped him get away with plenty. As for Jordans suggestion that going to the U.S. was a mistake and that hanging around Europe on the off chance of another drive was a better idea, I'm not so sure.

And a shout out to SIMtek for the review; reading that right after watching the programme was the icing on the cake.

Now, when's the Perry McCarthy docu being released...........?
Just For One Day...
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

I’ve just found this as a recent addition to Disney Plus in the UK, where they also have documentaries on NASCAR driver Tim Richmond and first female Indy 500 driver Janet Guthrie (both part of ESPN’s 30 for 30 series). I really had downloaded this on iPlayer a few years ago, as an earlier post states, but I don’t remember it too well. I am on an international flight on Monday so this will make for some good in flight entertainment.
MCard LOLA
CoopsII

Post by CoopsII »

For those that missed the documentary or like DrBaker took five years to download it from the iplayer, Tommy Byrnes book is available for just a few quid on Evilbay etc.
Just For One Day...
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

Turning this into a documentary discussion thread, is anybody other than myself planning to watch the Brawn GP documentary 4 part series with Keanu Reeves on Disney+ anytime soon?
MCard LOLA