Favourite Reject Livery?

The place for respectful and reverent discussion of Reject drivers and teams, whether profiled or not as yet
midgrid

Re: Best Reject livery

Post by midgrid »

This is Guy Ligier's original blue, back when he was still driving:

"One day Bruno told me that he had heard the engine momentarily making a strange sound; his suspicion was that all the cylinders had been operating."
--Nigel Roebuck
Rabbi Gordon

Post by Rabbi Gordon »

For me nothing rejectful beats the Pacific PR02

These come close though: Image
Don't know why, but I loved that green-blue Larrousse livery.

As good it looks, as bad it was.

This is not a reject, but this one is beautiful in its simplicity. Image
Last edited by Rabbi Gordon on 28 Jan 2015, 15:48, edited 1 time in total.
If a particle is traveling at the speed of a Spyker, it is likely to finish last. - Albers Einstein

The Hungarian language is more beautiful than you'd ever think. See, the plural of soul in Hungarian is lelkek.
FullMetalJack
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by FullMetalJack »

Rabbi Gordon wrote:Image
Don't know why, but I loved that green-blue Larrousse livery.

It's definitely the better of their 1994 liveries.

As it's statistically more rejectful than the 1994 car, I think the 1989 Larrousse livery deserves a mention too.
I like the way Snrub thinks!
Julien

Post by Julien »

Actually Larrouse was running more races in this Green-blue livery than in the Kronenburg lvery.
CaptainGetz12
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by CaptainGetz12 »

midgrid wrote:This is Guy Ligier's original blue, back when he was still driving:

..That is gorgeous. Can anyone make a desktop wallpaper out of that for me please?
Klon wrote:What did poor André do to you for him to be insulted like that?
midgrid

Post by midgrid »

"One day Bruno told me that he had heard the engine momentarily making a strange sound; his suspicion was that all the cylinders had been operating."
--Nigel Roebuck
CaptainGetz12
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by CaptainGetz12 »

Done! Thanks again!
Klon wrote:What did poor André do to you for him to be insulted like that?
Lola F1 Team

Post by Lola F1 Team »

As above; Simtek and Lola are bloody fantastic liveries.

But so are these:

Fondmetal GR01 of the '92 Season.

Arrows A21 of the '00 Season.

Spyker F8-VII of the '07 Season.

Mastercard Lola F1 Team: 11 seconds off the pace; simply sheer quality.

Lest We Forget:

Vincenzo Sospiri
Ricardo Rosset
Pepsibottle1

Post by Pepsibottle1 »

This wrote:
Biscione wrote:Perhaps a controversial choice, but I really liked the neon greenish-yellow and blue livery Minardi ran in 2000;

I thought i was the only one who liked this! Actually, i think 2000 was a great year for liveries, plenty of variation.

God, I love the M02 but who am I to say as an obviously biased Minardi fan.

The PR02 was also pretty, as well as most of Lotus's early 90's stuff.
CoopsII

Post by CoopsII »

I will always love this. The crappy industrial grey just added to the feeling that the car was cobbled together in a knackered old lock-up in Wythenshawe.
Just For One Day...
DanielPT
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by DanielPT »

CoopsII wrote:I will always love this. The crappy industrial grey just added to the feeling that the car was cobbled together in a knackered old lock-up in Wythenshawe.

Not only that, but the great Ursus sponsorship indicates that the parts used in the car came from old agricultural vehicles.
Colin Kolles on F111, 2011 HRT challenger: The car doesn't look too bad; it looks like a modern F1 car.
AndreaModa

Post by AndreaModa »

That Ursus sponsorship was like herpes to the back of the grid teams in the mid-1990s. Anyone with it was going doooown.
I want my MTV...Simtek Ford

My Motorsport Photos

@DNPQ_
CoopsII

Post by CoopsII »

DanielPT wrote:Not only that, but the great Ursus sponsorship indicates that the parts used in the car came from old agricultural vehicles.

I always thought Ursus was vodka? I think it was the breakfast of choice for the design team.
Just For One Day...
DanielPT
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by DanielPT »

CoopsII wrote:
DanielPT wrote:Not only that, but the great Ursus sponsorship indicates that the parts used in the car came from old agricultural vehicles.

I always thought Ursus was vodka? I think it was the breakfast of choice for the design team.

You are right. I mistook it for the highly popular Polish tractor manufacturer. Although not far way there exists also the Ursus beer. But the Pacific one was the vodka makers.
Colin Kolles on F111, 2011 HRT challenger: The car doesn't look too bad; it looks like a modern F1 car.
CoopsII

Post by CoopsII »

DanielPT wrote: I mistook it for the highly popular Polish tractor manufacturer.

I can see where there'd be some confusion.
Just For One Day...
Julien

Post by Julien »

Ursus is an Icelandic company which is famous of his vodka indeed, but in Inceland it's more known about their bottled mineral water. How they got in contact with Pacific is beyond me, but I more preferred the big waves on the sidepods to the Ursus logo...
Warren Hughes

Post by Warren Hughes »

Big fan of all pre-Stoddart Minardi liveries, but I've got a particular soft spot for the black, white and green editions of 1995-96 (modelled here by Pedro Lamy at what looks like Interlagos)

Nico Rosberg wrote:Break me down mentally? Good luck with that one.

:roll:
AndreaModa

Post by AndreaModa »

Warren Hughes wrote:Big fan of all pre-Stoddart Minardi liveries, but I've got a particular soft spot for the black, white and green editions of 1995-96 (modelled here by Pedro Lamy at what looks like Interlagos)

Yes! Aside from the all-white 1993 livery this is my favourite Minardi scheme. Lovely!

My Motorsport Photos

@DNPQ_
Francis23

Post by Francis23 »

Would the MP4/1 used at the end of the 1983 season count? Given it had a new engine and was classed as a separate constructor (if Wikipedia is correct ;) ) and had a best finish of 11th.
Rabbi Gordon

Post by Rabbi Gordon »

Although not F1, I hope it is passable.

How about this man and his cars? ...King Hiro! :D
Simple, classy design, great choice of colors.
Eye-catching car. Easy to spot as it was lagging in the back with the King behind the wheel. There is something in silver and metallic blue.

Oh, for those who don't know the King himself, he has 117 CART starts and ONE finish better than 9th. A 6th, but that time a whole 7 cars finished.
If a particle is traveling at the speed of a Spyker, it is likely to finish last. - Albers Einstein

The Hungarian language is more beautiful than you'd ever think. See, the plural of soul in Hungarian is lelkek.
Izzyeviel

Post by Izzyeviel »

More I look at this, the more I dislike. So boring! Image
SuzukiSwift

Post by SuzukiSwift »

The MP4-30 is that car's spiritual successor, right down to the awful power delivery.
AdrianBelmonte_

Post by AdrianBelmonte_ »

Remember the Jaggermeister livery Eurobrun had in '89? This is it on the ER188B

Talk about rare...

(Source: @DNPQ_ on Twitter)

Sorry about the bmup
#FoxesFansHooligans

#HaasShouldBeSoLucky
AndreaModa

Post by AndreaModa »

Gee, I wonder who runs that DNPQ account on Twitter...? 8-)

Here's the tweet if anyone is interested:

My Motorsport Photos

@DNPQ_
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

AndreaModa wrote:Gee, I wonder who runs that DNPQ account on Twitter...? 8-)

Oh, I didn't realise. Had to have been a link between that account and this forum, right? Keep up the good work!
watka wrote:I find it amusing that whilst you're one of the more openly Christian guys here, you are still first and foremost associated with an eye for the ladies!
dinizintheoven wrote:GOOD CHRISTIANS do not go to jail. EVERYONE ON FORMULA ONE REJECTS should be in jail.
MCard LOLA
dinizintheoven

Post by dinizintheoven »

AndreaModa wrote:Gee, I wonder who runs that DNPQ account on Twitter...?

I took a further look down and noticed a few oddities.

These two don't have "Pic: (some other circuit)" after them, so is this Zakspeed doing the canonical March thing, i.e. running two cars with different airbox designs - and if so, why? As I remember it (from the pictures), March in 1988 always ran a regular airbox for Ivan Capelli and the odd T-shaped job for Mauricio Gugelmin.

Next, more airbox oddities:

If that's a JH24, it's the first time I've ever seen it with an exposed roll bar - every other picture has it covered by the regular airbox (to, as we all realise, no effect whatsoever). Looks like the air is fed in by a couple of NACA-esque ducts, like Ferrari for the first few races of 1989. At least it looks a lot safer that the crudely-bolted-on-so-it-probably-won't-work-in-a-massive-accident roll bar of the JH23, which Phillippe Streiff will not have fond memories of.

You might want to rescind that apology in a way... I looked it up, and Yannick Dalmas' brush with Legionnaires' Disease was at the end of the 1988 season, and his rotten results with Larrousse in 1989 were a reflection of him not having recovered properly - he had five DNQs out of six when Phillippe Alliot managed to qualify for all of them in the same car, so it's not so surprising he was dropped at this point. It mattered not whether he was driving the all-new LC89 or this monstrosity:

Maybe it's because it's because I started watching F1 in 1990, but if there's one thing that really grates about some of these back-of-the-grid teams, it's the way they completely forgot to put an engine cover on their car, right the way up to 1989. EuroBrun, Coloni, Rial, stand up and be counted - as well the Larrousse LC88B here.

Anyway, I'll amuse myself looking through a load more of these, and I already wonder, will there be enough pictures of the Life L190 to fill all the DNPQ slots when you get to the 1990 season? Then there'll be 1991, with rare shots such as Michael Bartels failing to qualify for all his races for Lotus, and Naoki Hattori who everyone else forgot after Pedro Chaves screamed "enough!" (in Portuguese) at his hapless Coloni... and of course, That Lot In Black in 1992.
James Allen, on his favourite F1 engine of all time:
"...the Life W12, I can't describe the noise to you, but imagine filling your dustbin with nuts and bolts, and then throwing it down the stairs, it was something akin to that!"
AndreaModa

Post by AndreaModa »

Wow. Let's go through these one at a time:

Zakspeed changed their airbox midway through the year and both photos are from Germany so I guess they were just testing the different types. All the photos I've seen of Suzuki that weekend have him using the rounded design, while there's pictures of Schneider using both. Note in this video of pre-qualifying that Suzuki has the rounded box and Schneider the square one: https://youtu.be/_isqB-XDzrE?t=9m57s

By Hungary the photos suggest they had settled on the newer, and more conventional rounded design.

The AGS photo is a very interesting case. In 1989 they apparently used the JH23B, JH23C around Britain and Germany, and then the JH24. The JH23 had sidepods that had a square front profile. Compare with the JH24 sidepods which were much more tapered at the front. The picture of Tarquini at Silverstone clearly has tapered sidepods, so I'd be inclined to call it a JH24. He is recorded as having used that car for the British GP.

However, the matter takes an interesting turn when you consider theGerman GP. Compare these two photos of Yannick Dalmas:

Partially exposed roll hoop, tapered sidepods. Might even be the same car Tarquini used in Britain. I would suggest JH24.

Complete airbox, but square sidepods. I would suggest the little-documented JH23C. This is supported by both Dalmas and Tarquini being shown as using the JH23C at Hockenheim. They may have even shared this chassis.

Here's a pic of Tarquini in the speculated-JH23C in Germany:

Either way, there's definitely room there for some investigation. I may be completely wrong!

As for Dalmas' exit from Larrousse after Canada, I believe he was still suffering from it somewhat. I didn't mean to suggest that he only just began suffering from it midway through 1989. The perils of 140 characters!

As for photos - considering the AGS ones above, you might have gathered that I've found a remarkable source that should sort me out rather nicely for the rest - Life L190 included!

My Motorsport Photos

@DNPQ_
MorbidelliObese

Post by MorbidelliObese »

Rabbi Gordon wrote:This is not a reject, but this one is beautiful in its simplicity. Image

Not a bad look at all but my view (perhaps unfairly) of the M193 livery was always slightly soured by what preceded it - 1991-92 were my favourite Minardi colour schemes by some distance.
Darling fascist bully boy, give me some more money you bastard. May the seed of your loin be fruitful in the belly of your woman.
tommykl

Post by tommykl »

MorbidelliObese wrote:1991-92 were my favourite Minardi colour schemes by some distance.

The M189 and M190 would beg to differ. ;)
kevinbotz wrote:Cantonese is a completely nonsensical f*cking alien language masquerading as some grossly bastardised form of Chinese

Gonzo wrote:Wasn't there some sort of communisim in the East part of Germany?
MorbidelliObese

Post by MorbidelliObese »

tommykl wrote:
MorbidelliObese wrote:1991-92 were my favourite Minardi colour schemes by some distance.

The M189 and M190 would beg to differ. ;)

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder but I didn't like the large white sections separating the black and yellow on the M189 and M190, nor the 2003-esque airbox lines, i'm probably alone on the last one :oops:

Darling fascist bully boy, give me some more money you bastard. May the seed of your loin be fruitful in the belly of your woman.
dinizintheoven

Post by dinizintheoven »

I approve of the impossible cube on the Rafal logo.
James Allen, on his favourite F1 engine of all time:
"...the Life W12, I can't describe the noise to you, but imagine filling your dustbin with nuts and bolts, and then throwing it down the stairs, it was something akin to that!"
1993DonningtonNo1Mk2

Post by 1993DonningtonNo1Mk2 »

2011 HRT, 2002 Arrows and 1988 Eurobrun with the chequered white and yellow livery from the last 2 races.
leywso

Post by leywso »

The BBC have been running a poll about 'back of the grid' liveries:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/formula1/43531800

Because of this, I was trying to argue with my brother that Larousse had the best liveries of the golden era of multi-team F1 in the late 80s/early 90s. They always managed to make several colours and lots of little sponsors work somehow. I then stumbled across this, which I'd never seen before, when looking up pictures:

In a season where they produced two eye-catching race liveries (green Tourtel and red/white Kronenbourg) this testing livery is a beauty too!
FullMetalJack
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by FullMetalJack »

I'm not sure I should like this Osella, but I really really do.

The only Jordan to never achieve a top 6 finish was at least good looking

I like the way Snrub thinks!
Pacific Edge

Post by Pacific Edge »

One of the ones I liked was the 1995 Footwork livery, it changed a bit a few times, but these two examples looked good

1993DonningtonNo1Mk2

Post by 1993DonningtonNo1Mk2 »

The 2007 Spyker
Har1MAS1415

Re: Favourite Reject Livery?

Post by Har1MAS1415 »

One of my faves of recent times.
CoopsII

Post by CoopsII »

This beauty, I wore the team t-shirt (which I still own) with immense pride. Plus, as they were a Rejectful team, the t-shirt was a tenner less than anything by Williams or McLaren :lol:
Just For One Day...
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

CoopsII wrote: 12 Aug 2022, 09:41 Image
That is just about the most beautiful F1 car in history I reckon.1
watka wrote:I find it amusing that whilst you're one of the more openly Christian guys here, you are still first and foremost associated with an eye for the ladies!
dinizintheoven wrote:GOOD CHRISTIANS do not go to jail. EVERYONE ON FORMULA ONE REJECTS should be in jail.
MCard LOLA
Har1MAS1415

Post by Har1MAS1415 »

Don't care if it looks Ligier-ish, I like it.