Lance Stroll
55%
Valtteri Bottas
9%

Total votes: 22

Londoner

Reject of the Race - USA 2022

Post by Londoner »

1. Lance Stroll. Pissed away a top six result with a move which could've killed Alonso.

2. Valtteri Bottas. An embarrassing way to end Alfa's most promising run since Canada.

Honourable mentions to George Russell, I like the guy a lot but he needs to stop driving into other people, and Daniel Ricciardo who by all rights should be ashamed of his performance today.
Fetzie on Ferrari wrote:How does a driver hurtling around a race track while they're sous-viding in their overalls have a better understanding of the race than a team of strategy engineers in an air-conditioned room?l
Enforcer
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: Reject of the Race - USA 2022

Post by Enforcer »

Lance Stroll: Ah, the 2015 F3 vintage Stroll was back. Dangerously late reaction to Alonso. Not even a sim-racer move. It was worse than that.
Rob Dylan

Post by Rob Dylan »

Londoner wrote: 23 Oct 2022, 20:49Honourable mentions to George Russell, I like the guy a lot but he needs to stop driving into other people.
It's not so much the driving into other people, it's the fact that I don't remember the last time I heard him own up to any of the incidents he has been responsible for. Constantly hitting people off in clumsy moves in the pack and getting all antsy about "uh he just turned into me" just sounds like 2009-2011 Hamilton has been cloned into the second Merc seat.
Murray Walker at the 1997 Austrian Grand Prix wrote:The other [Stewart] driver, who nobody's been paying attention to, because he's disappointing, is Jan Magnussen.
Felipe Nasr - the least forgettable F1 driver!
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

Ricciardo and Stroll are my nominations here.
watka wrote:I find it amusing that whilst you're one of the more openly Christian guys here, you are still first and foremost associated with an eye for the ladies!
dinizintheoven wrote:GOOD CHRISTIANS do not go to jail. EVERYONE ON FORMULA ONE REJECTS should be in jail.
MCard LOLA
Ducktanian

Post by Ducktanian »

Lance Stroll is the obvious nomination. Ruined a potentially good result by a stupidly dangerous blocking manoeuvre which backfired horribly.
Murray Walker: "A lot of people here are really debating whether Ricardo Rosset is Formula 1 material"
Martin Brundle: "Well, it's a fairly short debate, Murray".
Bleu

Post by Bleu »

1. Lance Stroll - dangerous move there
2. Valtteri Bottas - pace-wise maybe the best effort Alfa had in the second half, then spinning out.
rachel1990

Post by rachel1990 »

1 Lance Stroll- stupid dumb move thank thankfully only took himself out of the race

2 Valtteri Bottas- There are some days you wonder why Merc didn't offer him another contract. Today was not one of those days. Beached it by himself

hm- George Russell- Took Sainz out. Should have owned up to it as well

HM- Tim Cook- God- man at least show a little bit of enthusiasm for waving the checkered flag

HM- The FIA- Following allowing celebrities (loose term) like Tim Cook to wave the chequered flag when they are clearly not interested. Could have been good publicity to allow a young or unwell f1 fan to do it but no. Also for negotiating with Red Bull about the cost cap.

HM Danny Ric- he has given up completely.
Benetton of 1992. Never a reject
IceG

Post by IceG »

Stroll's move was late and potentially disasterous.

Everything else was meh and not really deserving of comment.
Meatwad

Post by Meatwad »

I'll nominate Valtteri Bottas. At least Stroll collided with another driver, Bottas' spin was just embarrassing. All in all a weak performance from a great starting position, which I unfortunately expected.
Alextrax52

Post by Alextrax52 »

Lance Stroll: Anyone who watched the Moto3 race last year will tell you about the appalling consequences when 2 machines make contact on the long straight at COTA. In that one ridiculous move he threw his best weekend of the season in the garbage and got his card marked by Alonso before they even share a garage.

Valterri Bottas: And that is why Mercedes didn’t offer him a new contract. A silly spin to throw his best performance since Canada down a drain and leave his team under real pressure from Aston Martin.

HM’s

George Russell: I want to like him but his increasing wheel to wheel incidents combined with the arrogant refusal to take any share of blame is making it impossible. Not to mention he was absolutely destroyed by Hamilton today

Daniel Ricciardo: Broken record stuff talking about him at this stage. McLaren should put Piastri in now to have a chance at 4th. I remember when Renault sacked Palmer for Sainz in 2017 and it turned 7th to 6th in the last 4 races. McLaren couldn’t do any worse repeating the trick

Hamilton’s whining: It really irked me that as soon as Verstappen did the job on him he started crying about track limits to get the win by default, which made it all the more hilarious that he copped a track limits warning himself. Maybe he was just frustrated that Verstappen still won despite 2 SC’s and a duff pitstop.

Esteban Ocon: Wasn’t at the races all weekend and Alonso’s heroics with a battered car summed it up
James1978

Post by James1978 »

Basically what everyone else has said but I was disappointed Hamilton let Verstappen past seemingly with much less of a fight than Leclerc did.

Otherwise Stroll - of ALL the drivers to do that move to! Bottas - that's why Merc chose Russell even though he wasn't that wonderful himself.

Danny Ric was somewhere near last the whole time while his teammate won F1.5 - will being a reserve driver at a top team really help his cause?
"Poor old Warwick takes it from behind all throughout this season". :) (Tony Jardine, 1988)
Vassago

Post by Vassago »

1. Lance Stroll - Almost caused an yee-haw crash thanks to his driving. Remains a waste of F1 cockpit.

2. Pierre Gasly - Failing to serve a 5 secs. penalty in proper manner which handed him another 5 secs. penalty. And that was the highlight of his race!

3. Mick Schumacher - Multiple track limits violations, another ho-hum drive at the back of the pack. No wonder Williams wants Sargeant. Go to DTM or something.
95 GP / 63 DNF / 5 pts
dj_vicious

Post by dj_vicious »

1. Daniel Ricciardo: While Norris was driving another thriller, Danny was trundling along at the back. I see no reason for him to return to F1 at this point, unless he can get over whatever mental demons are destroying his talent.

2. Lance Stroll: Just a stupid move really and he was the big loser in the end. Not something we expect of a guy in his 6th season in F1.
Wallio
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Wallio »

George Russell - In his own words "blyme that was some dangerous driving!" Was anonymous all weekend (again), ruined someone else's race (again) and refused to take blame (again). He is genuinely unlikable. At least he's a great qualifier......oh wait.
Professional Historian/Retired Drag Racer/Whiskey Enthusiast

"He makes the move on the outside, and knowing George as we do, he's probably on the radio right now telling the team how great he is." - James Hinchcliffe on George Russell
RAK

Post by RAK »

1) Lance Stroll: Terrible move that took him and Alonso out in a dangerous fashion; only through sheer luck did Alonso make it to the finish.

2) George Russell: A clumsy start which destroyed Sainz's race.
Predicament Predictions Champion, 2011, 2018, 2019

They weren't the world's most competent team,
In fact, to be believed, their results must be seen,
Lola,
M-Mastercard Lola,
L, O, L, A, Lola!
James1978

Post by James1978 »

Amazing how Russell's halo has slipped since the early part of the year! (Is looking increasingly like Hamilton self-sacrificed himself to develop the car and it's showing now).
"Poor old Warwick takes it from behind all throughout this season". :) (Tony Jardine, 1988)
Aerond
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Aerond »

Lance Stroll - That was dangerous bro

FIA - For the post race penalties and different judging over the same incidents, coming back to inconsistent applying of the rules.

HM

Russell - For his clumsy start

Ricciardo - Another ROTR he won't win because someone did something more stupid than him

Gasly - Penalty serving shenanigans are true ROTR spirit
Tread lightly in ARWS. Every decision might be your last.
takagi_for_the_win

Post by takagi_for_the_win »

It's almost impressive at this point how people will shoehorn a Hamilton nomination in for literally anything. Came second, within a few laps of winning, in the third fastest car, and still gets a nomination. Incredible stuff.

My nominations here are for Stroll, for obvious reasons, and the FIA, for penalising Alonso half a minute for the heinous crime of Stroll turning his car into an airplane very briefly.

Bottas and Ricciardo also deserve shouts, but not at the same level of egregiousness.
TORA! TORA! TORA!
Forti
Location: The Pacific time zone, the most rejectful time zone of them all

Post by Forti »

1. Aston Martin pit crew and Lance Stroll - pit crew screwup made Seb plummet down the order during a good weekend for them, and Stroll's serious crash robbed them of crucial double points for the fight against Alfa for 6th.
2. Bottas - Spun out of the race during a crucial weekend for Alfa, especially considering that their rivals Aston Martin were doing very well.

Dishonorable Mentions

3. FIA - Penalty shenanigans and allowing a very unenthusiastic Tim Cook to wave the flag
4. Danny Ric - Well-down the field in a competitive car (although this happened a lot this year)
5. George Russell - Crikey, own up to your mistakes!
Aislabie wrote: Oh that's another thing, if you hang around with us it will completely reshape your perception of Mario as a character.
It would be funny if FortiWinks returned from his absence only to find out that I'm the Forti in town now.
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

Good news everybody! George Russell has owned up to his mistake and apologised to Sainz!

https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/russe ... /10389679/
watka wrote:I find it amusing that whilst you're one of the more openly Christian guys here, you are still first and foremost associated with an eye for the ladies!
dinizintheoven wrote:GOOD CHRISTIANS do not go to jail. EVERYONE ON FORMULA ONE REJECTS should be in jail.
MCard LOLA
James1978

Post by James1978 »

takagi_for_the_win wrote: 24 Oct 2022, 20:19 It's almost impressive at this point how people will shoehorn a Hamilton nomination in for literally anything. Came second, within a few laps of winning, in the third fastest car, and still gets a nomination. Incredible stuff.
Think I was just overly disappointed/frustrated Max got past him on the first serious attempt. But that Red Bull is like a windtunnel going down the straights I guess!

Through my following of F1, when there was a particularly dominant driver, I always wanted the race winner to be "anyone but" - firstly it was Senna, then Schumacher, then Vettel, I suppose Hamilton though later on I was wanting him to beat all Schumacher's records so supported it, and now it's like "anyone but Verstappen". British love underdogs!

Think in all fairness, I should have mentioned all 4 champions on the IIDOTR thread - I already mentioned Vettel and Alonso on there (though the penalty is really harsh but I guess K-Mag got pinged for similar in other races so I can see Haas's point of view), but even I wasn't expecting Verstappen to win from there, and Hamilton after sacrificing himself early in the season really now is bossing it over Russell. And even though not a champion yet, Leclerc's class really came through as well.

If he becomes an option on this poll my vote is deffo going to Danny Ric - as much as for him wanting to crawling back to Red Bull as third driver as for the performance as there have been plenty of similar ones this year!
noiceinmydrink

Post by noiceinmydrink »

Probably no point in me dog-piling but it's gotta be Stroll right? Lot of slam dunk ROTRs in the past few GPs recently, at least give us somewhat of a challenge, jeez.

On another note, I do share takagi_for_the_win's frustration/amusement at Hamilton always popping up in these threads. He is the most sucessful of all time and as such I guess folks will be more prone to looking down on anything other than obvious excellence. It was certainly the case with Vettel (I was definitely ghoulish enough to hold my hands to the heavens everytime I saw him struggle throughout 2014, past posts of mine will probably prove that) and I have to assume it was the same with Schumacher, however I was too young to be part of the online discourse and hell if I'm wasting my time digging through Autosport/Atlas threads from 2004.
dr-baker wrote: 25 Oct 2022, 06:13 Good news everybody! George Russell has owned up to his mistake and apologised to Sainz!

Well would you look at that, all them grannies in hell can no longer bake pies without an oven!
Wallio
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Wallio »

dr-baker wrote: 25 Oct 2022, 06:13 Good news everybody! George Russell has owned up to his mistake and apologised to Sainz!

Genuinely shocked. I wonder if this is like his clash with Bottas at Imola, and once again Toto is forcing him to apologize. Hopefully not, I'd like to see him grow up a bit.
Professional Historian/Retired Drag Racer/Whiskey Enthusiast

"He makes the move on the outside, and knowing George as we do, he's probably on the radio right now telling the team how great he is." - James Hinchcliffe on George Russell
Har1MAS1415

Post by Har1MAS1415 »

Loose F1 car parts, if the issue was bad enough for Alonso to get penalised and later reinstated, you know something needs to be done about making mirrors and body work more secure.
mario

Post by mario »

Well, it's as if the FIA has effectively seen the nominations going round and gone "hold my beer and watch this".

Firstly, we had the stewards penalising Alonso - but the stewards acknowledged that they were accepting Haas's application despite it being filed outside of the allowable time slot. The justification the stewards gave was the clause in the International Sporting Code that states stewards can accept a protest that has been submitted later than required “in circumstances where the stewards consider that compliance with the thirty-minute deadline would be impossible.”

We then had the stewards dismiss Alpine's appeal against the penalty on the grounds that, firstly, the penalty type was one that couldn't be appealed against, and secondly complaining that Alpine's appeal was submitted later than it should have been. However, they then said that “should a significant and new element be discovered (by Alpine), it could petition the Stewards under Article 14 of the Code, for a review."

We then had Alpine promptly invoke that clause and ask for a review under Article 14 because, under the first appeal that they filed, they did find out new information. It turns out that the reason why Haas submitted their appeal later than they should have was because an FIA official had told Haas that they had an hour to submit their protest, not 30 minutes.

The stewards therefore admitted that Haas did in fact have time to submit the protest within the allocated 30 minute timeframe and that Alpine were right to claim that it was "not impossible" for Haas to have done so. They therefore decided to strike down the protest from Haas and to reinstate Alonso to 7th place in the classification from the US GP.

Really, you couldn't make it up at this point - the protest from Haas was late because the FIA's own officials gave Haas misleading advice, which resulted in the steward accepting the protest, initially attempting to strike down Alpine's appeal and then having to accept the appeal because Alpine were right to begin with, but only because of the FIA's incompetence to begin with.

Haas are now probably wondering what deity they have angered to keep showering them with misfortune over the black and orange flag, whilst the rest of the world looks on and is wondering how the FIA could give fundamentally misleading advice to a team over a basic regulation - and, all the while, there is considerable frustration at the FIA managing to find new ways to be incredibly inconsistent with their decision making.
Martin Brundle, on watching a replay of Grosjean spinning:
"The problem with Grosjean is that he want to take a look back at the corner he's just exited"
Har1MAS1415

Post by Har1MAS1415 »

mario wrote: 28 Oct 2022, 21:11 Well, it's as if the FIA has effectively seen the nominations going round and gone "hold my beer and watch this".

Firstly, we had the stewards penalising Alonso - but the stewards acknowledged that they were accepting Haas's application despite it being filed outside of the allowable time slot. The justification the stewards gave was the clause in the International Sporting Code that states stewards can accept a protest that has been submitted later than required “in circumstances where the stewards consider that compliance with the thirty-minute deadline would be impossible.”

We then had the stewards dismiss Alpine's appeal against the penalty on the grounds that, firstly, the penalty type was one that couldn't be appealed against, and secondly complaining that Alpine's appeal was submitted later than it should have been. However, they then said that “should a significant and new element be discovered (by Alpine), it could petition the Stewards under Article 14 of the Code, for a review."

We then had Alpine promptly invoke that clause and ask for a review under Article 14 because, under the first appeal that they filed, they did find out new information. It turns out that the reason why Haas submitted their appeal later than they should have was because an FIA official had told Haas that they had an hour to submit their protest, not 30 minutes.

The stewards therefore admitted that Haas did in fact have time to submit the protest within the allocated 30 minute timeframe and that Alpine were right to claim that it was "not impossible" for Haas to have done so. They therefore decided to strike down the protest from Haas and to reinstate Alonso to 7th place in the classification from the US GP.

Really, you couldn't make it up at this point - the protest from Haas was late because the FIA's own officials gave Haas misleading advice, which resulted in the steward accepting the protest, initially attempting to strike down Alpine's appeal and then having to accept the appeal because Alpine were right to begin with, but only because of the FIA's incompetence to begin with.

Haas are now probably wondering what deity they have angered to keep showering them with misfortune over the black and orange flag, whilst the rest of the world looks on and is wondering how the FIA could give fundamentally misleading advice to a team over a basic regulation - and, all the while, there is considerable frustration at the FIA managing to find new ways to be incredibly inconsistent with their decision making.
All of that is worthy of Reject of the Year, never mind the race, I couldn't make up my mind who or what to nominate to be honest.
James1978

Post by James1978 »

And all that is before letting Red Bull get away with overspending with such a minor penalty. 10% is crap all and $7m is probably pocket change to them!
Rob Dylan

Post by Rob Dylan »

Four candidates up for the vote today! (A little bit late, but as Marcus Aurelius would say, the last few days have been busy boo boos). I did not include the FIA, for their penalty against Alonso was at least overturned, and their action against Red Bull has been sizzling over for weeks and remains off-track as an issue.

You have 48 hours to get your vote in and choose your Reject of the Race candidiate :dance: Poll is at the top of this thread
Murray Walker at the 1997 Austrian Grand Prix wrote:The other [Stewart] driver, who nobody's been paying attention to, because he's disappointing, is Jan Magnussen.
Felipe Nasr - the least forgettable F1 driver!
FalconCapelli

Post by FalconCapelli »

George Russell: he has reminded me of hamilton's early year, cannonballing few drivers, and whinging (he and ham are the biggest whinging guys in f1) also stroll's manuveur was unacceptable
World's biggest Alpine and Chip Ganassi Racing Fan :dance:

Alt Mario Kart: Chunky Kong + Koopra Kids Kongsortium
Alt Crash Team Racing: Koala Kong + Pentacific
Copa Marlboro: Juan Carlos Elano + Elano Motorsport
James1978

Post by James1978 »

Danny Ric. At least Stroll and Bottas showed some decent pace before their respective incidents, and Russell too after it, but he was absolutely nowhere when his teammate was best of the F1.5. .
Londoner

Post by Londoner »

Fetzie on Ferrari wrote:How does a driver hurtling around a race track while they're sous-viding in their overalls have a better understanding of the race than a team of strategy engineers in an air-conditioned room?l