Infinite Improbability Drive of the Race - Abby Dabby 2022

The place for speaking your mind on current goings-on in F1

Pick your Infinite Improbability Drive of the Race!

Poll ended at 25 Nov 2022, 20:18

Daniel Ricciardo
16%
Lando Norris
21%
Sebastian Vettel
63%

Total votes: 19

Londoner

Infinite Improbability Drive of the Race - Abby Dabby 2022

Post by Londoner »

1. Sebastian Vettel. Fought all afternoon, a nice farewell for the lad.

2. Amaury Cordeel. The bloke was an F2 meme for most of this season, but he looked like a proper driver this weekend, excellent effort.
Fetzie on Ferrari wrote:How does a driver hurtling around a race track while they're sous-viding in their overalls have a better understanding of the race than a team of strategy engineers in an air-conditioned room?l
Enforcer
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: Infinite Improbability Drive of the Race - Abby Dabby 2022

Post by Enforcer »

Vettel: Still score a point despite the best efforts of his team.

Norris: Fastest Lap, and his usual station of 'best of the rest'. Can we give this guy a real car? Please?
IceG

Post by IceG »

Nothing infinitely umprobable
Fetzie

Post by Fetzie »

Vettel and Norris.
Meatwad

Post by Meatwad »

I guess I'll split my vote between Vettel and Ricciardo – the last couple of years haven't been the best of their career (more so for Ricciardo, thus my lower expectations for him), but they both went out on a high with points finishes.
RAK

Post by RAK »

IceG wrote: 20 Nov 2022, 14:51 Nothing infinitely umprobable
Agree here.
Predicament Predictions Champion, 2011, 2018, 2019

They weren't the world's most competent team,
In fact, to be believed, their results must be seen,
Lola,
M-Mastercard Lola,
L, O, L, A, Lola!
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

RAK wrote: 20 Nov 2022, 15:51
Agree here.
Sadly I agree.
watka wrote:I find it amusing that whilst you're one of the more openly Christian guys here, you are still first and foremost associated with an eye for the ladies!
dinizintheoven wrote:GOOD CHRISTIANS do not go to jail. EVERYONE ON FORMULA ONE REJECTS should be in jail.
MCard LOLA
Alextrax52

Post by Alextrax52 »

Lando Norris: Fastest lap in that car was unexpected. Please give him a better car next year McLaren

Aston Martin drivers: Vettel looked on it all weekend and was unlucky not to get more while Stroll put in a quietly impressive race to earn his 2nd best finish of the year. Both cars in the points is a nice way to go out

HM: Amaury Cordeel in F2: Was an utter joke of a driver at the start of the but got quicker and cleaner as the year went on culminating in his impressive weekend in Abu Dhabi

(This award needs a big change for next year)
rachel1990

Post by rachel1990 »

Freeze-O-Kimi wrote: 20 Nov 2022, 17:11 Lando Norris: Fastest lap in that car was unexpected. Please give him a better car next year McLaren

Aston Martin drivers: Vettel looked on it all weekend and was unlucky not to get more while Stroll put in a quietly impressive race to earn his 2nd best finish of the year. Both cars in the points is a nice way to go out

HM: Amaury Cordeel in F2: Was an utter joke of a driver at the start of the but got quicker and cleaner as the year went on culminating in his impressive weekend in Abu Dhabi

(This award needs a big change for next year)
I agree with all of this
Benetton of 1992. Never a reject
Row Man Gross-Gene

Post by Row Man Gross-Gene »

I think people need to stop taking the title of this award so literally. It was chosen as a play on words from the Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy because it sounded cool. Yes there is meant to be an element of the unexpected to it, but it’s fine when it’s just a good thing too.
It's just unbelievable...that Formula 1 could be such a ridiculous melange of idiots.

-Jamie McGregor

Check out my colo(u)ring pages website: http://sites.google.com/site/carcoloringpages/
IceG

Post by IceG »

Ok then...

What was most "infinitely improbable" was the fact there was no VSC or SC during the entire race. And I think there was only one yellow flag incident with Schumacher vs. Latifi.

To my recollection that is the only time that has happened this season - please correct me if I am wrong.
Spectoremg

Post by Spectoremg »

1. Nice one Row Man.
2. The Sky team for giving Vitaly Petrov a mention.
James1978

Post by James1978 »

I'm actually going to say Leclerc believe it or not - after qualifying I though Checo had 2nd in the WDC all wrapped up!

Also honourable mention to Norris for someone outside the top 3 teams getting a fastest lap.
"Poor old Warwick takes it from behind all throughout this season". :) (Tony Jardine, 1988)
dj_vicious

Post by dj_vicious »

Agreed on this one. Nothing stood out in this race.
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

Row Man Gross-Gene wrote: 20 Nov 2022, 17:58 I think people need to stop taking the title of this award so literally. It was chosen as a play on words from the Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy because it sounded cool. Yes there is meant to be an element of the unexpected to it, but it’s fine when it’s just a good thing too.
I get that and I love that we drew on that as inspiration for a forum award. I just could not see anything positively unexpected from today's race.

And we don't even have a driver in car number 42 to give a default win to... nor anyone carrying a towel during the race in the cockpit to my knowledge...
watka wrote:I find it amusing that whilst you're one of the more openly Christian guys here, you are still first and foremost associated with an eye for the ladies!
dinizintheoven wrote:GOOD CHRISTIANS do not go to jail. EVERYONE ON FORMULA ONE REJECTS should be in jail.
MCard LOLA
went

Post by went »

1- Ferrari strategists for simultaneously managing to make a two-stop strategy work for Sainz *and* a one-stop strategy work for Leclerc. Quick, make a wish.

2- The race itself for not being a soulless yawnfest.
Row Man Gross-Gene

Post by Row Man Gross-Gene »

dr-baker wrote: 20 Nov 2022, 21:43
Row Man Gross-Gene wrote: 20 Nov 2022, 17:58 I think people need to stop taking the title of this award so literally. It was chosen as a play on words from the Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy because it sounded cool. Yes there is meant to be an element of the unexpected to it, but it’s fine when it’s just a good thing too.
I get that and I love that we drew on that as inspiration for a forum award. I just could not see anything positively unexpected from today's race.

And we don't even have a driver in car number 42 to give a default win to... nor anyone carrying a towel during the race in the cockpit to my knowledge...
But even the Ferrari strategy department managed to obey the mantra: don’t panic
It's just unbelievable...that Formula 1 could be such a ridiculous melange of idiots.

-Jamie McGregor

Check out my colo(u)ring pages website: http://sites.google.com/site/carcoloringpages/
Enforcer
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Enforcer »

No one's taking the award literally. If we did, it'd be un-awardable.

But it still has to be something unexpected, preferably from outside the better teams.

The grid was stratified to hell this season, with loads of races where RB, Ferrari and Merc locked out the top 6, with Norris and the Alpines following them up. With so many races going that way, it's understandable someone might look at it and say 'yeah, nothing improbable happened today, that was 2022 by the numbers', and trying to pick an IIDOTR from it was just picking one for the sake of populating the award, not because anyone actually did anything unexpected.

I certainly prefer a nomination of no one than things like nominating Merc, the most successful team in the hybrid era, on the weekends where they did better than 4th. Or Ferrari for not screwing their strategy for a change. That's them doing their job, not pulling out unexpected results.
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

Enforcer wrote: 21 Nov 2022, 09:05.

I certainly prefer a nomination of no one than things like nominating Merc, the most successful team in the hybrid era, on the weekends where they did better than 4th. Or Ferrari for not screwing their strategy for a change. That's them doing their job, not pulling out unexpected results.
Yeah, that is like being stranded in outer space and being rescued by a passing spaceship after 3 seconds rather than in the final 30th second. Its passably improbable rather than Infinitly so.
MCard LOLA
Rob Dylan

Post by Rob Dylan »

The poll is up for the final race of the year. Get your votes in at the top of this thread in the next 48 hours :dance:
Murray Walker at the 1997 Austrian Grand Prix wrote:The other [Stewart] driver, who nobody's been paying attention to, because he's disappointing, is Jan Magnussen.
Felipe Nasr - the least forgettable F1 driver!
Har1MAS1415

Post by Har1MAS1415 »

Toss up between Seb and Ricciardo. Biased towards Seb because it was his last race.
Londoner

Post by Londoner »

Fetzie on Ferrari wrote:How does a driver hurtling around a race track while they're sous-viding in their overalls have a better understanding of the race than a team of strategy engineers in an air-conditioned room?l