Olivier Grouillard (Mansell's Nemesis)

The place for anything and everything else to do with F1 history, different forms of motorsport, and all other randomness
Har1MAS1415

Olivier Grouillard (Mansell's Nemesis)

Post by Har1MAS1415 »

Have recently watched a review of the 1993 Indycar Season on YouTube. I know Olivier Grouillard followed Nigel Mansell out of F1 and into Indycar for the 1993 Season and their respective fortunes remained the same, Mansell won the title, Grouillard scored just a few points.

It also caused me to remember that on the old F1 Rejects site, Grouillard's profile described him as "Mansell's Nemesis", now I wonder why that was?
Rob Dylan

Re: Olivier Grouillard (Mansell's Nemesis)

Post by Rob Dylan »

Grouillard was a notorious backmarker for letting no-one through. Famously on modena at Monaco, and I'm going to take a punt that he held up Mansell at some very inopportune moment in the early 90s. Just a guess though.
Murray Walker at the 1997 Austrian Grand Prix wrote:The other [Stewart] driver, who nobody's been paying attention to, because he's disappointing, is Jan Magnussen.
Felipe Nasr - the least forgettable F1 driver!
Har1MAS1415

Post by Har1MAS1415 »

Rob Dylan wrote: 12 Dec 2022, 21:19 Grouillard was a notorious backmarker for letting no-one through. Famously on modena at Monaco, and I'm going to take a punt that he held up Mansell at some very inopportune moment in the early 90s. Just a guess though.
Well, in addition to being "Mansell's Nemesis", the old F1 Rejects site also referred to Grouillard as "F1's enfant terrible".
James1978

Post by James1978 »

Grouillard nearly took Mansell out in the closing stages at Imola 1992 but Mansell had worse clashes IMO with Phillipe Alliot (Portugal 1990) and De Cesaris (Imola 1990).
"Poor old Warwick takes it from behind all throughout this season". :) (Tony Jardine, 1988)
Har1MAS1415

Post by Har1MAS1415 »

James1978 wrote: 13 Dec 2022, 20:17 Grouillard nearly took Mansell out in the closing stages at Imola 1992 but Mansell had worse clashes IMO with Phillipe Alliot (Portugal 1990) and De Cesaris (Imola 1990).
Well Grouillard and De Cesaris weren't described as one of the most reviled driver line-ups of all-time on the old F1 Rejects site for nothing. I believe Alliot was also described unfavourably regarding his manners while being lapped in the old site's Hall of Shame section.
Rob Dylan

Post by Rob Dylan »

Another driver guilty from my own experience of watching was Emanuele Pirro. He was the kind of driver who would only appear on the broadcast when he was holding up frontrunners and ruining their races for no reason.
Murray Walker at the 1997 Austrian Grand Prix wrote:The other [Stewart] driver, who nobody's been paying attention to, because he's disappointing, is Jan Magnussen.
Felipe Nasr - the least forgettable F1 driver!
Har1MAS1415

Post by Har1MAS1415 »

Rob Dylan wrote: 17 Dec 2022, 11:34 Another driver guilty from my own experience of watching was Emanuele Pirro. He was the kind of driver who would only appear on the broadcast when he was holding up frontrunners and ruining their races for no reason.
Yes, that's true.
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

Har1MAS1415 wrote: 20 Dec 2022, 13:42
Rob Dylan wrote: 17 Dec 2022, 11:34 Another driver guilty from my own experience of watching was Emanuele Pirro. He was the kind of driver who would only appear on the broadcast when he was holding up frontrunners and ruining their races for no reason.
Yes, that's true.
What, he wasn't just a sportscar driver?! :o

;)
watka wrote:I find it amusing that whilst you're one of the more openly Christian guys here, you are still first and foremost associated with an eye for the ladies!
dinizintheoven wrote:GOOD CHRISTIANS do not go to jail. EVERYONE ON FORMULA ONE REJECTS should be in jail.
MCard LOLA
Barbazza

Post by Barbazza »

Apart from that time when he decided to liven up the German GP by staging a polystyrene block demolition derby.
James1978

Post by James1978 »

It is true that the only thing I remember about Pirro apart from hitting the big polystrene block are two mega-blocking incidents when being lapped; first on Boutsen when he was leading the 1989 Australian GP so Nannini in the other Benetton could catch up (I always pictured Irvine doing this if he could end up a lap behind Schumacher at Ferrari!), and on Modena while he was running 2nd at Monaco 1991 (though there was no team motive in that one).
"Poor old Warwick takes it from behind all throughout this season". :) (Tony Jardine, 1988)
yannicksamlad
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by yannicksamlad »

Barbazza wrote: 20 Dec 2022, 20:59
Apart from that time when he decided to liven up the German GP by staging a polystyrene block demolition derby.
Yes!, F1 arbitrarily decides to bring back super sparking skid blocks to add drama, so surely they should increase the number of polystyrene blocks placed in run off areas for the same purpose. Only Monza really makes an effort to do this.
I started supporting Emmo in 1976 (3 points )....missed 75, 74, 73, 72...
Har1MAS1415

Post by Har1MAS1415 »

Barbazza wrote: 20 Dec 2022, 20:59
Now that was spectacular!