Philippe Streiff 1955 - 2022

The place for speaking your mind on current goings-on in F1
Barbazza

Philippe Streiff 1955 - 2022

Post by Barbazza »

There is news this evening that Philippe Streiff has died, aged 67.

Only a short time after Patrick Tambay and so close to Christmas, this is especially sad.

An incredibly under-rated driver, he was a part of so many memorable moments from my time watching F1 in the 80s - that crazy end to the Adelaide GP in 85, that time his Tyrrell caught fire at Ricard and we were then treated to a comedy of errors from the French marshals, and more importantly for us I guess, some outstanding performances in the AGS before his tragic accident in Rio.

Drivers such as these 2 French legends of the sport pass the average F1 watcher by, but we know how great they were. RIP Philippe.
dinizintheoven

Re: Philippe Streiff 1955 - 2022

Post by dinizintheoven »

Just saw that this morning. Sad, but I can't say I'd have wanted to live his way for 33 minutes, let alone 33 years. Ditto Sir Frank Williams, Prof. Stephen Hawking, Christopher Reeve, that bloke with the Cavalier GSi on the last series of Car SOS...

Don't forget he gave AGS their last competitive victory, in F3000 in 1984 - building their own car in a series in which it was unusual to do so.

*plays La Marseillaise at an obnoxiously loud volume so the neighbours think I'm French*
James Allen, on his favourite F1 engine of all time:
"...the Life W12, I can't describe the noise to you, but imagine filling your dustbin with nuts and bolts, and then throwing it down the stairs, it was something akin to that!"