Rejectful Driver Line-ups

The place for anything and everything else to do with F1 history, different forms of motorsport, and all other randomness
go_Rubens
Location: A raging river somewhere in the Eastern (cough) United States (cough)

Re: Rejectful Driver Line-ups

Post by go_Rubens »

Yuji Ide and Takuma Sato at Super Aguri in '06 anyone?

Before you bash me about Sato, Sato manages to crash and break cars everywhere he goes. In the 2012 Indy 500, Sato crashed on the last lap fighting for the lead with Franchitti. I'm not saying Sato is a bad driver, but he pushes way to hard and he is too impatient. Takuma is a god of crashing, like Maldonado and Grosjean.
Felipe Baby, Stay Cool

Albert Einstein wrote:Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.
Shizuka

Post by Shizuka »

go_Rubens wrote:Before you bash me about Sato, Sato manages to crash and break cars everywhere he goes.

I'm sorry, but I don't really remember crashing the SA05 - or the SA06 - by him.

Code: Select all

14:03   RaikkonenPlsCare   There's some water in water
Shadaza

Post by Shadaza »

go_Rubens wrote:Yuji Ide and Takuma Sato at Super Aguri in '06 anyone?

Before you bash me about Sato, Sato manages to crash and break cars everywhere he goes. In the 2012 Indy 500, Sato crashed on the last lap fighting for the lead with Franchitti. I'm not saying Sato is a bad driver, but he pushes way to hard and he is too impatient. Takuma is a god of crashing, like Maldonado and Grosjean.

Kind of hard to have a worst Super Aguri line up without Sato in it! :lol:
Message me on Discord.
ibsey

Post by ibsey »

Finally got a chance to reply to some of the posts here...

takagi_for_the_win wrote:
Shadaza wrote:Sauber - Johnny Herbert/ Noberto Fontana (Really hard one to call as Sauber famously have had a solid line up all along their history, their 97 pairings were probably the worst even though Herbert is not a bad driver by any stretch, at least not during the mid 90's.)

Diniz/Salo in 2000 trumps that. Hell, even Heidfeld/Verstappen in 2003 is worse IMO

I’m another one who thinks that Herbert / Fontana was worse than Diniz / Salo. I mean have you seen how badly Fontana was during the 1997 French GP? When he wasn’t coming into the pit to try to retire, he seemed to be travelling around the track at half the speed of the other cars. Sauber wanted to replace him, with Brundle for the next race. But was simply stuck with him.

I don’t think Diniz was all that bad, I mean he outqualified drivers like Hill, Alesi & Salo. Furthermore IMO Salo was broadly similar to Herbert in terms of ability. Couldn’t have been easly to jump into the Ferrari seat mid season (as evidenced by Badoer & Fischella in 2009). Yet he should have won the 1999 German GP, save for team orders & even beat Irvine at Monza that year.

Shadaza wrote:Ferrari - Kimi Raikkonen / Luca Badoer Spa-Valencia 2009 (Horrible Ferrari, Raikkonen not at his most motivated and Ferrari wanted him out, Badoer was out of his depth.) EDIT Irvine/Salo in 99 is also a pretty rubbish line up.

Like James 1978 I’m also thinking Alesi & Capelli / Larini couldn’t have been too far away from the combo’s you mentioned above. Alesi was still pretty inexperienced and raw in 1992 (that coming from an avid Alesi support), and probably distracted with all the politics at Ferrari. Whereas I’d say Irvine was probably at his peak in 1999.

Shadaza wrote:Williams - Damon Hill/ David Coulthard 1994-95 (This is a very hard decision and frankly I just want to see the rage. I can't make myself Nominate Pastor and although Nakajima was useless in 09 Rosberg was one of the stars of the season.)

Very Brave call indeed, which I'm surprised hasn't generated more rage? Anyway for Williams, perhaps you are forgetting the pairing of Riccardo Patrese & Jean-Louis Schlesser at Monza 1988. I reckon that beats 1994-5, 2011 or even 2012?
Coming January 2019 a new F1 book revisiting 1994.

Pre order it here; www.performancepublishing.co.uk/1994-th ... eason.html

The book's website; www.1994f1.com/
Benetton

Post by Benetton »

Irvine and Salo of '99 is stronger than Alesi and Capelli of '92. Basis: Salo > Capelli. In 1999, Irvine was in his prime when Alesi had only 2 and a half seasons behind him when he started 1992.
James1978

Post by James1978 »

Throws Montoya and Pizzonia and/or Gene into the ring for the worst Williams line-up. JPM seemed somewhat subdued when he didn't have Ralf to spar with. :)
"Poor old Warwick takes it from behind all throughout this season". :) (Tony Jardine, 1988)
go_Rubens

Post by go_Rubens »

pi314159 wrote:Rosset and Takagi at Tyrrell 1998 is one of the most rejectful lineups in modern F1. Rosset with his 5 DNQs made Takagi look like a future world champion.

Totally agree.
Felipe Baby, Stay Cool

Albert Einstein wrote:Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

go_Rubens wrote:
pi314159 wrote:Rosset and Takagi at Tyrrell 1998 is one of the most rejectful lineups in modern F1. Rosset with his 5 DNQs made Takagi look like a future world champion.

Totally agree.

Worse than Rossett/Sosperi at Mastercard Lola?
watka wrote:I find it amusing that whilst you're one of the more openly Christian guys here, you are still first and foremost associated with an eye for the ladies!
dinizintheoven wrote:GOOD CHRISTIANS do not go to jail. EVERYONE ON FORMULA ONE REJECTS should be in jail.
MCard LOLA
Salamander

Post by Salamander »

dr-baker wrote:
go_Rubens wrote:

Totally agree.

Worse than Rossett/Sosperi at Mastercard Lola?

It's impossible to know how good Sospiri was when that was his only taste of F1 machinery. We all know Takagi was fairly useless, though.
Sebastian Vettel wrote:If I was good at losing I wouldn't be in Formula 1.
Everything's great.
I'm not surprised about anything.
go_Rubens

Post by go_Rubens »

Francois Hesnault and Patrick Tambay at Renault?
Felipe Baby, Stay Cool

Salamander

Post by Salamander »

go_Rubens wrote:Francois Hesnault and Patrick Tambay at Renault?

No, mostly because that lineup never existed. Hesnault, Tambay, and Derek Warwick, on the other hand, did.

But, really, it's a tough call for me between Jabouille/Arnoux and Tambay/Warwick. Warwick and Jabouille I both think are underrated drivers who could punch well above their weight, and Tambay and Arnoux both looked like being potential World Champions, but turned out fairly disappointing in that regard. I think I'll give it to Tambay/Warwick though, since I think Arnoux had the edge on Tambay when all was said and done.
Sebastian Vettel wrote:If I was good at losing I wouldn't be in Formula 1.
Everything's great.
I'm not surprised about anything.
takagi_for_the_win

Post by takagi_for_the_win »

Burti and a half-arsed Jonny Herbert, Austria 2000. Has to be the poorest Jaaaag line up.
TORA! TORA! TORA!
go_Rubens

Post by go_Rubens »

Patrick Friesacher and Christjan Albers at Minardi?
Felipe Baby, Stay Cool

UncreativeUsername37

Post by UncreativeUsername37 »

go_Rubens wrote:Patrick Friesacher and Christjan Albers at Minardi?

Really? They scored seven points between them! :lol:
Rob Dylan wrote:Mercedes paying homage to the other W12 chassis by breaking down 30 minutes in
HonoraryNortherner

Post by HonoraryNortherner »

Francois Hesnault/Andrea de Ceasaris, Ligier 1984 anyone?
Butterfox
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Butterfox »

HonoraryNortherner wrote:Francois Hesnault/Andrea de Ceasaris, Ligier 1984 anyone?

Well, they have got more rejectful line-ups in the eighties. Arnoux-Ghinzani, Arnoux-Grouillard, Larini-Alliot and Arnoux-Alliot. But nothing beats their Jarier-Boesel line-up.
In fact, if it weren't for Lafitte, Ligier's eigthies would have been hopelessly rejectful. When your best drivers are called Jabouille, Tambay, Cheever, Streiff, Johansson and De Cesaris, it's no wonder you don't get the results down. Their nineties didn't improve that much ,though, when Panis and Brundle were probably their best drivers. It started well in the seventies with Ickx, Depailler and Pironi, though...
I don't know what i want and i want it now!
Har1MAS1415

Post by Har1MAS1415 »

Lance Stroll and Sergey Sirotkin at Williams in 2018.