Race Control
93%
Valtteri Bottas
No votes

Total votes: 27

Londoner

Reject of the Race - Saudi Arabia 2023

Post by Londoner »

1. Race Control. Not quite sure what drugs Freitas and Wittich were on today. Stroll's car barely merited a VSC, let alone a full-blown SC. Alonso's penalty and Hamilton's reprimand seemed insanely harsh too.

2. Valtteri Bottas. Dear god he was rubbish this weekend.

Honourable mentions to McLaren and TV direction
Fetzie on Ferrari wrote:How does a driver hurtling around a race track while they're sous-viding in their overalls have a better understanding of the race than a team of strategy engineers in an air-conditioned room?l
Bert

Re: Reject of the Race - Saudi Arabia 2023

Post by Bert »

. Race Control.
You break it, I fix it, or vice-versa.
FalconCapelli

Post by FalconCapelli »

Without a Doubt Race Control is the ROTR.
World's biggest Alpine and Chip Ganassi Racing Fan :dance:

Alt Mario Kart: Chunky Kong + Koopra Kids Kongsortium
Alt Crash Team Racing: Koala Kong + Pentacific
Copa Marlboro: Juan Carlos Elano + Elano Motorsport
Aerond
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Aerond »

Race Control - ~~
Tread lightly in ARWS. Every decision might be your last.
Vassago

Post by Vassago »

1. FIA Race Control - You have a gazzilion TV cameras around the track and you rely on GPS to determine whether a car has stopped on track or not? Horseshit.

2. McLaren - Need front wings? Their race was hosed within the opening 5 laps.
95 GP / 63 DNF / 5 pts
Ciaran

Post by Ciaran »

1. Liberty Media for accepting Saudi blood money.
2. NEOM McLaren.
Manager of Calsonic Team Impul in Formula E, K-Apex in PES & Eurasian F3 and Mitsuoka in Alt-F1 '76.
My career mode thread - 1988: AGS (19pts, 9th) // 1989: Arrows (25pts, 8th, 1 win!)
You'll never DNF if you always DNPQ. #RollSafe
James1978

Post by James1978 »

Race Control for throwing the SC at anything is the obvious one but, Ferrari, McLaren and Jos Verstappen for having a face like a slapped arse at the end because his son's teammate had dared to win the race are all candidates for me. Think Bottas had some sort of car problem.
"Poor old Warwick takes it from behind all throughout this season". :) (Tony Jardine, 1988)
Wallio
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Wallio »

FIA/The Stewards - We all had at laugh at poor Ocon last week, myself included, but we now see that the FIA is just incompetent. Alonso's original "offense" was a joke, but you then wait over an hour to penalize him again post-race (and after the official F1 social media's posted 100 podium graphics for Alonso). Pathetic. And this all after they cost Sargent a trip to Q2 with their "Turn 27 track limits" nonsense yesterday.
Professional Historian/Retired Drag Racer/Whiskey Enthusiast

"He makes the move on the outside, and knowing George as we do, he's probably on the radio right now telling the team how great he is." - James Hinchcliffe on George Russell
RAK

Post by RAK »

1) Race Control: Yeah, Stroll's retirement didn't merit a full safety car and it's quite worrying that they relied so much on flawed technology instead of the Mk.1 Eyeball. Also, Alonso's penalty was harsh.

2) Valterri Bottas: Dismal.

Dishonourable Mention: The Saudi Arabian Grand Prix, for existing; Liberty Media for allowing it to go ahead.
Predicament Predictions Champion, 2011, 2018, 2019

They weren't the world's most competent team,
In fact, to be believed, their results must be seen,
Lola,
M-Mastercard Lola,
L, O, L, A, Lola!
rachel1990

Post by rachel1990 »

1- Race Control/Stewards/FIA- leaving aside the 'safety car' which benefitted no one barring Max (don't race control/ stewards have access to the tv cameras)- they had 31 LAPS to decide the penalty for Alonso because we all saw the jack touch the car- to give him that penalty JUST AFTER the podium procedure meant that it was a complete waste of time as well- Total Farce.

Edit- Now they have the Poduim back. Complete farce.

2- Valtteri Bottas- I wonder if he will be the next driver to retire- Totally off the pace all weekend and really hasn't doesn't done anything since mid-last year- his teammate beat him comfortably and he was dead last

HM Mclaren- Not looking good is it- Williams and Haas have more points than you.
Last edited by rachel1990 on 19 Mar 2023, 22:08, edited 1 time in total.
Benetton of 1992. Never a reject
Meatwad

Post by Meatwad »

The safety show car: Just why? A VSC would have been more than enough, it really felt like they wanted to "spice up the show". Thankfully it didn't give us the VERSTAPPENWINSLOL we'll get in the next 20 races anyway.

Dishonorable mention to Bottas – Zhou was clearly faster than him all weekend, and finishing 35 seconds behind the McLarens and getting lapped despite the show car's appearance is ridiculous.
Enforcer
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Enforcer »

Race Control / Stewards: The thing with Stroll's car is a bit embarrassing, but it can happen, and let's be honest it didn't massively impact the outcome of the race that much. Taking 3/4s of the race to realise that Alonso should be penalised is really poor though.
Vassago

Post by Vassago »

Aston Martin won the appeal and Alonso is back to 3rd. Icing on the cake :D
95 GP / 63 DNF / 5 pts
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

Vassago wrote: 19 Mar 2023, 22:08 Aston Martin won the appeal and Alonso is back to 3rd. Icing on the cake :D
watka wrote:I find it amusing that whilst you're one of the more openly Christian guys here, you are still first and foremost associated with an eye for the ladies!
dinizintheoven wrote:GOOD CHRISTIANS do not go to jail. EVERYONE ON FORMULA ONE REJECTS should be in jail.
MCard LOLA
mario

Post by mario »

Meatwad wrote: 19 Mar 2023, 19:30 The safety show car: Just why? A VSC would have been more than enough, it really felt like they wanted to "spice up the show". Thankfully it didn't give us the VERSTAPPENWINSLOL we'll get in the next 20 races anyway.

Dishonorable mention to Bottas – Zhou was clearly faster than him all weekend, and finishing 35 seconds behind the McLarens and getting lapped despite the show car's appearance is ridiculous.
There have been suggestions that Liberty Media has been leaning on race control to make heavier use of the safety car to close up the field and "spice up the show", or at the least to use the SC more heavily in preference to the VSC.

For Bottas, I guess that the one thing in his defence is that there might have been damage to his car, as it seems that he ran over debris from the clashes that the McLaren drivers had with other drivers; still, as you say, it was mostly a performance to forget.
Enforcer wrote: 19 Mar 2023, 19:36 Race Control / Stewards: The thing with Stroll's car is a bit embarrassing, but it can happen, and let's be honest it didn't massively impact the outcome of the race that much. Taking 3/4s of the race to realise that Alonso should be penalised is really poor though.
I'd argue that the responsibility for that incident falls more on race control than on the stewards, as according to the official documents, race control had originally told the stewards that the penalty had been served correctly by the team and that no further action was warranted.
Martin Brundle, on watching a replay of Grosjean spinning:
"The problem with Grosjean is that he want to take a look back at the corner he's just exited"
went

Post by went »

Race control / the stewards. With a honourable mention to McLaren for confirming we should not be expecting anything out of this car. If it weren't because apparently everybody hates Ocon, Piastri might be regretting his move.
IceG

Post by IceG »

went wrote: 19 Mar 2023, 22:55Race control / the stewards.
+1
rachel1990

Post by rachel1990 »

mario wrote: 19 Mar 2023, 22:41
There have been suggestions that Liberty Media has been leaning on race control to make heavier use of the safety car to close up the field and "spice up the show", or at the least to use the SC more heavily in preference to the VSC.
The Irony being that the one driver who really benefited from the Safety car was probably the last driver liberty wanted at the Front of the grid for this race- Max Verstappen
Benetton of 1992. Never a reject
Miguel98

Post by Miguel98 »

1. Race Control / Stewards: SC shenanigans (Liberty are doing a NASCAR...?) and the Alonso penalty shenanigan was just the icing on the cake.

2. Jeddah: Crap track.
Mario on Gutierrez after the Italian Grand Prix wrote:He's no longer just a bit of a tool, he's the entire tool set.

18-07-2015: Forever in our hearts Jules.
25-08-2015: Forever in our hearts Justin.
Ducktanian

Post by Ducktanian »

Alonso's 2nd penalty - I vividly remember that quite a few people on the discord did not realize what the 2nd penalty was actually for at first, defending the decision because they thought that it was for serving the original penalty under the safety car, or it hadnt been timed correctly. If I remember correctly, the commentators got it wrong aswell. But nope it was none of that. Seems it was because the jack was touching the car which is so laughibly specific that people activately thought it was for something else because that made more logical sense. Also the fact that they posted the 100 podium image, deleted it, and than had to put it back up is just peak F1 :lol:

The track itself Apart from the Last Corner to Turn 1 the track is quite dull. Even last year that section is all I remember. I think Lewis did a pretty creative pass but thats very much the exception. Kinda reminds me of Macau tbh.
Last edited by Ducktanian on 20 Mar 2023, 10:23, edited 1 time in total.
Murray Walker: "A lot of people here are really debating whether Ricardo Rosset is Formula 1 material"
Martin Brundle: "Well, it's a fairly short debate, Murray".
James1978

Post by James1978 »

I too was going to mention the DRS zone for being far too powerful but I think really it only applied to Red Bull - for other teams it was rather a struggle and just serving its purpose looking at the battles further down such as Magnussen on Tsunoda, the McLarens on Sargeant etc. It would have been far more interesting had Max had to fight his way through without it in an instance such as Schumacher at Suzuka 1998 but you can't have one rule for them and another for everyone else, as tempting as it sounds :-)
"Poor old Warwick takes it from behind all throughout this season". :) (Tony Jardine, 1988)
Ducktanian

Post by Ducktanian »

Actually thats a good point, I'll alter my nomination.
Murray Walker: "A lot of people here are really debating whether Ricardo Rosset is Formula 1 material"
Martin Brundle: "Well, it's a fairly short debate, Murray".
Batty

Post by Batty »

Race Control for the shambles with Alonso. That's about it.

Bottas got debris and ditto the McLarens. SO yeah
takagi_for_the_win

Post by takagi_for_the_win »

Gotta be Race Control with the Alonso shambles. Passes the "would Jenoch have found it funny?" test with flying colurs, that's enough for me.
TORA! TORA! TORA!
Alextrax52

Post by Alextrax52 »

Race Control: Stroll’s retirement didn’t even warrant a VSC never mind the full SC and the Alonso penalty shambles is well documented

Saudi Arabian GP: Just because it exists. And they want a 2nd for 2027

Bottas: Debris or not he was outperformed by Zhou all weekend
Row Man Gross-Gene

Post by Row Man Gross-Gene »

The stewards give penalties, not Race Control, so I'll go with the stewards for sheer rejectfulness.
It's just unbelievable...that Formula 1 could be such a ridiculous melange of idiots.

-Jamie McGregor

Check out my colo(u)ring pages website: http://sites.google.com/site/carcoloringpages/
dinizintheoven

Post by dinizintheoven »

Meatwad wrote: 19 Mar 2023, 19:30 The safety show car: Just why?
mario wrote: 19 Mar 2023, 22:41 There have been suggestions that Liberty Media has been leaning on race control to make heavier use of the safety car to close up the field and "spice up the show", or at the least to use the SC more heavily in preference to the VSC.
Either that or the fact that the race was in Saudi Arabia and the safety car has Aramco's logo splattered liberally all over it...

Cynical? Me? Never!
James Allen, on his favourite F1 engine of all time:
"...the Life W12, I can't describe the noise to you, but imagine filling your dustbin with nuts and bolts, and then throwing it down the stairs, it was something akin to that!"
mario

Post by mario »

Row Man Gross-Gene wrote: 20 Mar 2023, 18:35 The stewards give penalties, not Race Control, so I'll go with the stewards for sheer rejectfulness.
I would say there is still an argument that Race Control does deserve to be criticised, because it was the FIA's Remote Operations Centre, which forms part of Race Control, which asked the stewards to take a second look at whether Alonso's penalty had been served correctly. Whilst the stewards were the ones making the final decision, it could be argued that it was based in part on incorrect information supplied by Race Control.
Ducktanian wrote: 20 Mar 2023, 09:52 Alonso's 2nd penalty - I vividly remember that quite a few people on the discord did not realize what the 2nd penalty was actually for at first, defending the decision because they thought that it was for serving the original penalty under the safety car, or it hadnt been timed correctly. If I remember correctly, the commentators got it wrong aswell. But nope it was none of that. Seems it was because the jack was touching the car which is so laughibly specific that people activately thought it was for something else because that made more logical sense. Also the fact that they posted the 100 podium image, deleted it, and than had to put it back up is just peak F1 :lol:
To be fair, up until 2018, it was the case that drivers were not allowed to serve a time penalty if they pitted under a virtual safety car or an actual safety car, unless they happened to already be in the pit lane when the VSC or SC was deployed.
Martin Brundle, on watching a replay of Grosjean spinning:
"The problem with Grosjean is that he want to take a look back at the corner he's just exited"
Forti
Location: The Pacific time zone, the most rejectful time zone of them all

Post by Forti »

Easily the Stewards/Race Control/FIA.
Aislabie wrote: Oh that's another thing, if you hang around with us it will completely reshape your perception of Mario as a character.
It would be funny if FortiWinks returned from his absence only to find out that I'm the Forti in town now.
Rob Dylan

Post by Rob Dylan »

Seems like one candidate made quite a bit of a stronger case than the rest, but this website (unlike Saudi Arabia) is a democracy so we shall allow a vote to determine the Reject of the Race. You have 48 hours :dance:
Murray Walker at the 1997 Austrian Grand Prix wrote:The other [Stewart] driver, who nobody's been paying attention to, because he's disappointing, is Jan Magnussen.
Felipe Nasr - the least forgettable F1 driver!
Londoner

Post by Londoner »

Fetzie on Ferrari wrote:How does a driver hurtling around a race track while they're sous-viding in their overalls have a better understanding of the race than a team of strategy engineers in an air-conditioned room?l